PDA

View Full Version : Let's go Padres!

Pages : 1 [2]

StevenSD
09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Hopefully the Giants start losing, Pads still have a four game homestand against them and I think they are four games behind :\

paul.almryde
09-24-2005, 02:54 AM
:D K. Greene was the man again for the Padres.Hope B. Lawrence can pitch a gem tonight. Also we need the Giants to start losing. With Bonds playing they are 7-1.:Beer: Go Padres

chet
09-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Magic number is down to 5. Final score was 5-3 thanks to greene's homer in the 5th. Magic number would've been 4 had the giants lost, but they came back after trailing 6-0. They're making us earn our title, and we'll do just that at the park.

El Relámpago
09-24-2005, 08:15 AM
We win today, LA & AZ are out.

As long as we keep winning, I still think we can sweep the D backs, all it takes is for SF to drop 2 more & we're pretty much set. And we have the homestand vs SF. We're sitting pretty!

TBOLTZCALI
09-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Beautiful!!

TrabucoWR
09-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Down to 5 games. Can you imagine how long ago the Padres would have clinched if the hadn't played like crap for all of June and July?

TBOLTZCALI
09-24-2005, 08:56 PM
The Giants got shutout today 6-0 by the Rockies, dropping the magic number down to 4 games. Meanwhile, the Padres were leading 5-3 in the bottom of the 6th. As it turns out, the d backs came back with 5 in the 8th to beat the padres 8-5. Looks like the Giants series is going to be huge.

TBOLTZCALI
09-26-2005, 03:59 PM
World series will NOT come to san diego in the near future. Not with our lineup. We dont want to spend the money so we will simply be that Minor league team.

paul.almryde
09-26-2005, 08:07 PM
:Beer: ThePadres should make the playoffs, we need a power hitter and the rest of the team needs to get hot with Greene.:Beer: Go Padres

TBOLTZCALI
09-26-2005, 09:56 PM
padres lost today to the giants, giving up the lead in the ninth. hoffman blew it. the lead is down to 3 games with 6 to play. the magic number still stands at 4. go padres...yay:confused:

RBloom
09-27-2005, 08:26 PM
I think once you reach the postseason it's all equal. It's like a whole new season.

Look what our Padres did in May (22-6)!!! (Unfortunatley we have been in a funk since then)

I hope that team shows up for the playoffs!!! I think just the thought of being in the playoffs just might put a fire under their ***!!!

We took 3 out of 4 IN St, Louis, we swept the Braves. I believe........................ do YOU?????

StevenSD
09-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Unless we get on a roll now, we'll be one of the teams out of it after the first round, however making the playoffs is good enough for this team considering the record.

paul.almryde
09-28-2005, 07:13 AM
:Beer: The magic number is two, yahoo. The Padres need to get hot and it would be nice to have a power hitter. I hope the magic of May comes back.:Beer: Go Padres

TBOLTZCALI
09-28-2005, 11:35 AM
The Padres came from behind to beat the Giants last nite 9-6. The Friars can win the division title tonite with a win or can clinch tomorrow with a win.

TBOLTZCALI
09-28-2005, 11:37 AM
With a win tonite, the PADRES would clinch the division title!!!! The game is on ESPN starting at 7pm. If they lose tonite, they have another chance tomorrow.

StevenSD
09-28-2005, 12:30 PM
They better win tonight for they can rest for the playoffs :)

Has hell frozen over??? Two San Diego sport teams making the playoffs?!

TBOLTZCALI
09-28-2005, 05:39 PM
could be. maybe

thesith2001
09-28-2005, 08:09 PM
I think once you reach the postseason it's all equal. It's like a whole new season.

Look what our Padres did in May (22-6)!!! (Unfortunatley we have been in a funk since then)

I hope that team shows up for the playoffs!!! I think just the thought of being in the playoffs just might put a fire under their ***!!!

We took 3 out of 4 IN St, Louis, we swept the Braves. I

believe........................ do YOU?????

The Padres' only had one month of winning baseball! In May they 22-6 and that's when they played the Braves.
Winning a weak division on one month worth of games does not impress me, but then neither does the rest of the "Worst".
But , in reality, I would not get my "hopes" too high for anything past the Divisional Series.
Yes, my friend, i am aware if "in a short series, anything can happen" and it will.
Petco "plays" both ways;meaning visiting pitchers will benefit as much as Padres' pitchers in 2 games.
"Good pitching stops good hitting" so the argurment goes, put after Pevey, do you really think "DL Park" will pitch well enough to stop Atlanta or the Cardinals?
I hope Lawrence and Eaton keep it close; but I'm not....

StevenSD
09-28-2005, 08:39 PM
5-0 already, taking advantage of a slow Bonds perfect game plan.

Dan40
09-28-2005, 10:17 PM
I mentioned before that I'm a much, MUCH bigger football fan than I am a baseball fan. I am probably also a not very knowledgable baseball fan as well. It's nice to take a break from football la-la land to enjoy the Padres division win. I was wrong when I said I thought the Giants would sneak up and take the division.

Take 2 out of 3 from the Dodgers and on to the postseason! GO PADRES!

guimcharger
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Padres World Series Championship and a Chargers Super Bowl Title. I would be happy for a longtime.

Chargers
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Padres World Series Championship and a Chargers Super Bowl Title. I would be happy for a longtime.

I would die a happy man :D

I don't care what anybody says about how weak the Padres / division is.....you gotta be in it to win it, and we are now 1 of 8 teams still with a chance. OH YEAH!

espanto619
09-29-2005, 05:28 AM
Sweeeeeeet!! Finally in the postseason again!!!

It's been a while since I felt rewarded for watching an entire season of games!!

GO FRIARS!!!

SDRaiderH8er
09-29-2005, 06:10 AM
It will be hard.

We wont know what Team shows up. Is the Team that plays up to the opposition, or will it be the Team that plays down to the opposition.

Alibell1
09-29-2005, 11:09 AM
If they get the Cardinals the season is over by Sunday. As of now Peavy is their only hope and it's hard to win on the arm of one guy.

paul.almryde
09-29-2005, 11:47 AM
:Beer: Peavy, Eaton and Astacio look good in there last starts. If the Padre play like they did last night and of course like they did in May, the Padres can beat anyone. The only thing that hurts them is no big homerun hitter. Playoffs is like starting fresh. Go Padres

TBOLTZCALI
09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
so if im not mistaken, they open up against st louis. hopefully we can carry the momentum over...like the sweep in the reg season.

Dan40
09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
so if im not mistaken, they open up against st louis. hopefully we can carry the momentum over...like the sweep in the reg season.
I thought the team with the best record plays the wildcard team. Wouldn't that mean the Padres would start off against Atlanta? St. Louis then plays either Houston or Philly.

StevenSD
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I thought the team with the best record plays the wildcard team. Wouldn't that mean the Padres would start off against Atlanta? St. Louis then plays either Houston or Philly.

-nono-

If Philly can somehow win the wildcard, the Padres would play the Braves, which is what I want to happen considering the Braves beat us only once during the season, however it is unlikely that Philly will win the wildcard meaning the Astros will, which means we play the Cardinals.

Dan40
09-29-2005, 03:51 PM
-nono-

If Philly can somehow win the wildcard, the Padres would play the Braves, which is what I want to happen considering the Braves beat us only once during the season, however it is unlikely that Philly will win the wildcard meaning the Astros will, which means we play the Cardinals.
Maybe it's the old NFL Wildcard rule.

Used to be teams in the same division couldn't play each other in the Divisional Round, which is why you got San Diego-Oakland in the AFC Championship game.

Is this correct?

Chargers
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Maybe it's the old NFL Wildcard rule.

Used to be teams in the same division couldn't play each other in the Divisional Round, which is why you got San Diego-Oakland in the AFC Championship game.

Is this correct?

Ding ding ding! :D Yeah - the #1 seed in the NL will play the wild card, unless the wild card team comes from the same division, in which case the #1 seed will play the #3 seed - us.

Alibell1
09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
:Beer: Peavy, Eaton and Astacio look good in there last starts. If the Padre play like they did last night and of course like they did in May, the Padres can beat anyone. The only thing that hurts them is no big homerun hitter. Playoffs is like starting fresh. Go Padres

Eaton looked good in his last start? Did you watch the same game I did? He's gone an average of 5 1/3 innings his last 4 stars. Also, his ERA is 7.71 in those starts. He is not the guy you want going against a loaded lineup like the Cardinals.

StevenSD
09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
If we play the Cardinals we got absolutely no hope of advancing.

Dan40
09-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, the Padres have to face them sooner or later.

Anything short of a World Championship is nothing better than being in the playoffs anyway. IMHO.

StevenSD
09-29-2005, 07:56 PM
If we could make it past the first round, we'd be able to shove it in the faces of those that said we'd get swept, but it's the Cardinals for christ's sake

Bobo
09-29-2005, 08:46 PM
I've been an Astros fan since '80 & I really hope they destroy the Cards/Pads in the NLCS & win the WS! :Helmet:

boltbacker_ed
09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Padres going 11 inings and win again by fundamental baseball. There was a bunt single then the next batter advaces the runner on base and then the single to left field to win it. Pads may be in the worst division but their in the playoffs and thats all that matters

RBloom
09-30-2005, 02:02 AM
If they get the Cardinals the season is over by Sunday. As of now Peavy is their only hope and it's hard to win on the arm of one guy.

Seriously KEEP THE FAITH when the playoffs start it is a WHOLE NEW SEASON.................... remember May???? same team

RBloom
09-30-2005, 02:07 AM

Seriously you sound like a typical band wagon san diego sports fan...................... If you remember we took 3 out of 4 AT St. Louis this seaosn.

Who says we can't do it again????

You know the first team we play will think it's an easy win................ but I think the whole baseball world will be shocked.

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS

Sure on paper we look like we will get swept before we knew what hit us. But I believe we have a legititimate chance on beating them!!!!!

WHO'S COMING WITH ME?????????????????

RBloom
09-30-2005, 02:08 AM
I've been an Astros fan since '80 & I really hope they destroy the Cards/Pads in the NLCS & win the WS! :Helmet:

WOW no comment remember 1998?

RBloom
09-30-2005, 02:10 AM
AM I THE ONLY FAN THAT BELIEVE WE CAN ADVANCE TO THE WS? Where is the faith????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

C}{ARG3R
09-30-2005, 07:44 AM
AM I THE ONLY FAN THAT BELIEVE WE CAN ADVANCE TO THE WS? Where is the faith????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????
Anything can happen in baseball. Thats what makes the sport so great.

StevenSD
09-30-2005, 08:17 AM
Seriously you sound like a typical band wagon san diego sports fan...................... If you remember we took 3 out of 4 AT St. Louis this seaosn.

Who says we can't do it again????

You know the first team we play will think it's an easy win................ but I think the whole baseball world will be shocked.

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS

Sure on paper we look like we will get swept before we knew what hit us. But I believe we have a legititimate chance on beating them!!!!!

WHO'S COMING WITH ME?????????????????

Sure we took 3 games from them in St. Louis, but remember what they did to us at Petco? OMG they swept us! And I had tickets for the whole series. I love the Padres and all but I'm not getting my hopes up on a team that'll either be under .500, at .500 or a game or two over .500 I'm glad we got to the Playoffs with our record, but if we were in any other division we'd be ranked 3rd place at best with this record, not to mention that the Indians have the 3rd best record in baseball but yet are fighting to get into a wildcard. Imagine how they feel looking at our record and knowing we're already in the postseason?

Again, I've followed the Padres all year, I'd be the happiest man alive if they got hot like they did in May, but it's doubtful, and I won't be getting my hopes up, especially if it is against the Cardinals.

(You know what they say about people accusing others about being a bandwagon fan right? They are one themselves :p)

Alibell1
09-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Ok I got it, the new rallying cry for the Padres this postseason. Somebody please go out to Kinkos and print up 35,000 of thses signs for all of us fans. Are you guys ready?

REMEMBER MAY!!!

Alibell1
09-30-2005, 08:39 AM

You know something? I just don't see tha Cards looking past the Pads. This is the same team that got swept in the Series last year so I think they'll be pretty focused. They're lucky to get the Cards in the 1st round because a short series favors the Pads. But even with the short series it will be a pretty tough task to beat those guys.

StevenSD
09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm not doubting the Padres, or rooting against them, I'm just being realistic :\ The Cardinals are the best team in baseball and the Padres are the worst team in the playoffs, it doesn't stack up, heck I'd be happy if the Pads get only one win to avoid a sweep.

RBloom
09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Ok I got it, the new rallying cry for the Padres this postseason. Somebody please go out to Kinkos and print up 35,000 of thses signs for all of us fans. Are you guys ready?

REMEMBER MAY!!!

Like I said before............................ you are 10 years old, Let's see you put that in your signature.

RBloom
09-30-2005, 07:40 PM
You know something? I just don't see tha Cards looking past the Pads. This is the same team that got swept in the Series last year so I think they'll be pretty focused. They're lucky to get the Cards in the 1st round because a short series favors the Pads. But even with the short series it will be a pretty tough task to beat those guys.

wow seriously this is the best thing I have heard you say. I like the post. Although my sarcasm meter might not be on?

tjwash
10-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Ouch. This is gonna hurt. (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051004&content_id=1237741&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd)

Chargers
10-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Of course this crap doesn't happen to teams that can afford having this happen to them. If it happened to the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards, etc., it would be a blow, but it wouldn't end their season like it does ours. Baseball needs a salary cap. That's the only way baseball will truly be fair. How a team is allowed to spend $200 million (Yanks), $140 million (Red Sox) while other teams only spend $29 million (D-Rays) and $36 million (Royals) is beyond comprehension. The NFL is the greatest league in America because every team has an equal chance to win, not just the teams with the richest owners willing to spend the most.

broncossuck7
10-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Of course this crap doesn't happen to teams that can afford having this happen to them. If it happened to the Yankees, Red Sox, Cards, etc., it would be a blow, but it wouldn't end their season like it does ours. Baseball needs a salary cap. That's the only way baseball will truly be fair. How a team is allowed to spend $200 million (Yanks), $140 million (Red Sox) while other teams only spend $29 million (D-Rays) and $36 million (Royals) is beyond comprehension. The NFL is the greatest league in America because every team has an equal chance to win, not just the teams with the richest owners willing to spend the most.

Thats not true. The yankees sell out every game they play unlike the padres so therefore they have more money to buy players. If you had a devoted fanbase like the yankees then maybe just maybe you can have players on your team that were actully playmakers.

And also what are you saying? The yankees pitching staff was depleted this season. We just have other good players that are deacent to pick each other up

Alibell1
10-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Thats not true. The yankees sell out every game they play unlike the padres so therefore they have more money to buy players. If you had a devoted fanbase like the yankees then maybe just maybe you can have players on your team that were actully playmakers.

And also what are you saying? The yankees pitching staff was depleted this season. We just have other good players that are deacent to pick each other up

The Padres can win 13 straight division titles and they will never get a $250 million a year local TV deal. Teams don't make payroll with sellouts, they make it with media deals.

NYfromSoCal
10-05-2005, 12:07 PM

Uh... wrong answer! The Yankees can't afford their payroll because they've got a devoted fan base selling out games -- heck, with a city and surrounding area of 8-10 million people, you sure as heck better sellout! -- they are able to do so because of the enormous tv and radio revenues. If the ability to pay salaries were directly correlated to the fan attendance, the Yankees payroll would be a fraction of what it is today and much closer to other team payrolls. The fact is that, as an organization, they take in more money from alternative sources than everybody else and can afford to dump it back into the team.

#1 Queifs hater
10-05-2005, 01:37 PM
YANKEES OWN

broncossuck7
10-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Uh... wrong answer! The Yankees can't afford their payroll because they've got a devoted fan base selling out games -- heck, with a city and surrounding area of 8-10 million people, you sure as heck better sellout! -- they are able to do so because of the enormous tv and radio revenues. If the ability to pay salaries were directly correlated to the fan attendance, the Yankees payroll would be a fraction of what it is today and much closer to other team payrolls. The fact is that, as an organization, they take in more money from alternative sources than everybody else and can afford to dump it back into the team.

Yea a city with 8 million people, Also with 2 baseball teams. Don't forget the mets. they are in new york but miraculously don't sellout at all.

pete1k
10-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Ouch. This is gonna hurt. (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051004&content_id=1237741&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd)
Yeah, especially since he hurt his team by not revealing the extent that this injury disabled him. IMHO he made two mistakes, 1) injuring himself during the celebration and 2) compounding #1 by not being forthright obout it.

TBOLTZCALI
10-05-2005, 02:58 PM
the padres had there chances yesterday. they had that game if they a. had a couple clutch hits, b. mark sweeney grabs that grounder by reggie sanders, c. peavy doesnt throw a meatball on 3-0. they may still be able to win this series. its highly doubtful but crazy things happen.

NYfromSoCal
10-05-2005, 03:00 PM
Yea a city with 8 million people, Also with 2 baseball teams. Don't forget the mets. they are in new york but miraculously don't sellout at all.

Yeah, but come on... the Mets? Who's going to a Mets game? ;)

SuperCharger81
10-09-2005, 12:56 PM
This was THE MOST FRUSTRATING season of my life. To stumble through the regular season and into the playoffs was not what I had envisioned for this year. Injuries, bad baseball, bad luck... we had it all.

Good things:
-We finally dumped Phil 'grumpy' Nevin and got Chan Ho Park. Park turned out to be less than a great acquitsition, but we got rid of the grumpster.
-Khalil Greene is fricken awesome! :)
-The month of May. The team's moment in the sun.
-Brian Giles is a baseball player. He gets the job done. Great guy to have on our team.
-Adam Eaton was starting to emerge as Jake Peavy's counterpart before injury took him out.
-Jake Peavy is a warrior that will give this team every last ounce of himself to win.

Bad Things:
- This team is injury prone
- We don't have a first baseman
- Our catcher, right fielder, and closer are free agents
- 3rd base is another ???
- Ryan Klesko... get rid of him!!!
- The 5th spot in the rotation
- Last but not least the Front Office. They say they want to make the Padres a playoff contender on a yearly basis. Then they go and sign a 37 year old role player, and another one, and another one, and another one.
STOP NICKEL AND DIMING!!! They have the guts to raise ticket prices, but they don't have the guts to go out and get some guys that would give the team a shot at contending for a championship.

Bottom line... The Front Office needs to make this offseason count!

ChargerJim
10-11-2005, 11:08 PM
MLB is broken, and until it's fixed... don't ever expect the Padres to make the World Series. And if they do, a snow balls chance in hell has better ods then a Padre repeat. Do you know the Padres franchise playoff record? Well it's something like 4-15.

How in the world does a $70 million payroll ever expect to compete with the Yankies $170 million, or Atlanta, or Los Angeles? How does it expect to keep good prospects and developing talent. As soon as someone developes, they're gone to another team. Yes, the team may have one good year... maybe... but I wouldn't exactly call finishing the season 2 games above .500 a great year. And, no one was fooled by the NL Worst. Fans did not show up to critical ball games at the end of the season, and the team was swept in the playoffs.

The previous Padre playoff years were followed by free agent defections, and that's what's going to happen this year.

Until Baseball gets a salary cap like football, no team will ever compete against the few juggernaught teams... it's like pissing up a tree.

Unfortunately, the Players Union will strike before they agree to a salary cap, cause that means limiting player salaries, and God forbid, the agents lose out on an opportunity to have one of their players go to the New York Yankies.

Signed... one angry baseball fan

thesith2001
10-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Dude, the players will not strike again;but the owners will LOCK THEM OUT,if "Buffoon Bud" has his way.
He wnats to cancel a season and bet your best Padres' cap or Chargers' jersey he will get it. (Only Steinbrenner and Henry and Werner, Boston, will object)
Bud wants to cut saleries way way back (protection against themselfs?) and will sacrifice a season to get it.
How else do you explain how Frank "McBroke" the "MasterCard man" McCourt was able to aford the Dodgers? (It ain't that his wife wears a size 0 dress!) Selig and McCourt have a hidden agenda and I feel it's the same thing.

Onion Knight
10-12-2005, 12:28 AM
Im not much of a baseball fan, but at least the Padres get into the playoffs from time to time. the Brewers are perennial losers here..and its all because of money.

I dont think its going to change; look at the fans who post here that like the yankees. they like them because they win. probably never been to New York, or whatever. But the yankees sell tickets , merchandise, airtime, etc etc..

hambone
10-12-2005, 06:10 PM
i've watched the jays since i was born and i cant agree more, i hate the yankees more then any team , i just wish the 92-93 seasons were back woo joe carter!

TBOLTZCALI
10-12-2005, 09:34 PM
say goodbye to ramon hernandez, brian giles and trevor hoffman. the padres will not compete for another 2-3 years...and thats being nice!!

The-Beast
10-13-2005, 12:00 AM
MLB is broken, and until it's fixed... don't ever expect the Padres to make the World Series. And if they do, a snow balls chance in hell has better ods then a Padre repeat. Do you know the Padres franchise playoff record? Well it's something like 4-15. padres 98 thats 7 wins hi.

How in the world does a $70 million payroll ever expect to compete with the Yankies $170 million, or Atlanta, or Los Angeles? How does it expect to keep good prospects and developing talent. As soon as someone developes, they're gone to another team. your rant is pretty tireless its called scouting you find good free agents after you player develops and replace them ever heard of the oakland a's they lost 2 of their ace's and were able to replace them with ease as they came down to the final week with their 55million dollar pay roll against the angels 90+ million dollar payroll.

Unfortunately, the Players Union will strike before they agree to a salary cap, cause that means limiting player salaries, and God forbid, the agents lose out on an opportunity to have one of their players go to the New York Yankies.during the last owners conference 24 owners voted against a salary cap and instead went with a luxury tax its not in the players union hands yet since it cant even get past the juggernaut owners with their massive cashflow owned by the corporations

botlkid8
10-13-2005, 03:10 PM
i do agree baseball for some franchises is broken. The padres franchise i feel is broken. Moores does want to spend that extra dollar to get a perennial all-star in our clubhouse. Baseball is a good sport and i've been a Pad's fan since i was 8 or so. Alot of it boils down to the owners and a fraction of that is due to the "bigger market deals". I look at it this way. Put together a good franchise with some 3-5 years of winning seasons and your fan base and market base will grow. Jerseys will sell, tickets will sell and fans will be more excited. Winning equals money.
Go Bolts

thesith2001
10-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Im not much of a baseball fan, but at least the Padres get into the playoffs from time to time. the Brewers are perennial losers here..and its all because of money.

I dont think its going to change; look at the fans who post here that like the yankees. they like them because they win. probably never been to New York, or whatever. But the yankees sell tickets , merchandise, airtime, etc etc..

Dude, I heard on FoxRadioSports the host talked about baseball caps and said ..." talk to some (idiot) wearing a baseball hat sidesways or backward; or a football team cap as well.
"Ask them what sport does the team they are wearing play? "I'll bet they can't even answer if it's football or baseball let along answer how their favorate player is.
"I would bet(the host said) that most of those clowns wearing the Yankees' or Red Sox caps are spld to people that just don't have any idea...."

Ask a Raiders' fan why he likes the Raiders and they will say "Raiders rule", and nothing else.
So don't sweat the Yankees' rooters on message boards.

SDynasty
10-13-2005, 07:07 PM
bochy needs to move on he hasnt done much with what he has had to it with granted, but he has also mismanaged a number of situations like not playing nady early when he was hot and Nevin was choking on his tongue. playing klesko for as long as he did in the outfield, and jugglinmg the lineup everynight base on "the matchups and numbers".

how about use your instincts and let a few guys play when they are hot, and trusting your gut a bit.

LordBling
10-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I dont know what the answer is, but I do agree that baseball is broken. it comes down to one thing. If you can buy a chamionship with money, then is it really sport?

RBloom
10-16-2005, 02:48 AM
YANKEES OWN

OWN WHAT??????????????????????? GO ANGELS!!!!!!

ChargerJim
10-16-2005, 06:28 PM
padres 98 thats 7 wins hi.
your rant is pretty tireless its called scouting you find good free agents after you player develops and replace them ever heard of the oakland a's they lost 2 of their ace's and were able to replace them with ease as they came down to the final week with their 55million dollar pay roll against the angels 90+ million dollar payroll.

during the last owners conference 24 owners voted against a salary cap and instead went with a luxury tax its not in the players union hands yet since it cant even get past the juggernaut owners with their massive cashflow owned by the corporations
Are you really trying to tell me, or anyone, that it's possible for the Padres to put together a franchise like the Yanks, or Atlanta (who've won divisions year-after-year-after-year) through scouting. You can't get 'good' free agents like you suggested, because they all want long-term deals for $50 million. And... they're getting them with New York, Atlanta, and even St. Louis. The Padres had the lowest salary of any playoff team this past year, and it showed when they got swept. Come on... not meant to be a slam, but you have to stop listening to Ted Lightner... he's a Padres announcer, gets paid by the Padres, and is a team homer. That's his job!

Also, the owners went with a luxury tax since a salary cap would NEVER fly with the players union (would go over like a fart in church), and would have resulted in another strike.

RBloom
11-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I hope to God that the Padres do not make this the power hitter they are looking for. He's old and cannot produce like he used to. I am sick of the Padres trying to obtain "bargains" that can't even play a whole year without being injured.

To Towers, Let's dip into that pocket book a little more and get some quality players. AJ Burnett perhaps? Manny Ramirez? Maybe try to keep some of our own free agents???? (Cut Klesko) We are never going to match-up with the Cardinals, Yanks, or even the Sox (Both of them). We have a great farm system and some good players. Let's compliment them with an all star or 2.

--- Padres Fan

Podium
11-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Towers may not be hear very longer and the Angels look like the front runner to land Ramirez. How bout that outfield if it happens. Manny Ramirez, Garrett Anderson, Vladimir Guerrero.

Theo Epstein as Padre GM? He did formerly work for the organization.

Alibell1
11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I love it how fans try to put the blame on Towers for not signing big name players. Last I checked his name isn't on the checks. He can only spend what ownership lets him.

As for Theo Epstien. I would like to see what he can do when he's given $70 million to spend instead of $170 million. We could all look brilliant with that kind of money.

Fouts2Chandler
11-03-2005, 09:45 PM
I welcome Castilla only because we traded Brian Lawrence. Thank god.

RBloom
11-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I love it how fans try to put the blame on Towers for not signing big name players. Last I checked his name isn't on the checks. He can only spend what ownership lets him.

As for Theo Epstien. I would like to see what he can do when he's given $70 million to spend instead of $170 million. We could all look brilliant with that kind of money.

You again???? You are right I did not proof read. Towers is given a budget. I GIVE YOU THAT. That was Padre fan frustration coming out. But the three highest paid players are Klesko, Nevin (before he got traded), and Hoffman (before he filed). I would rather see the money go somewhere else preferably non-streaky players or non-injury plagued players, or players that are in there younger instead of the late 30's early 40's (wells, and W. Williams).

Epstein would be good. I think he brings a lot to the table.

For the the second part of your quote, "We could all look brilliant with that kind of money.", I bet not. Sure, you can blow your wad on having your own all-stars, but you cannot buy chemistry. When you put that many super egos on one team you get lots and lots of friction. BEST EXAMPLE...............DODGERS.

Alibell1
11-04-2005, 08:43 AM
You again???? You are right I did not proof read. Towers is given a budget. I GIVE YOU THAT. That was Padre fan frustration coming out. But the three highest paid players are Klesko, Nevin (before he got traded), and Hoffman (before he filed). I would rather see the money go somewhere else preferably non-streaky players or non-injury plagued players, or players that are in there younger instead of the late 30's early 40's (wells, and W. Williams).

Epstein would be good. I think he brings a lot to the table.

For the the second part of your quote, "We could all look brilliant with that kind of money.", I bet not. Sure, you can blow your wad on having your own all-stars, but you cannot buy chemistry. When you put that many super egos on one team you get lots and lots of friction. BEST EXAMPLE...............DODGERS.

Klesko and Nevin deserved the contracts they got. Sorry, but look at the numbers before the contracts were signed. Klesko didn't have the injury problems and Nevin put up a few consistent years in a row. You're dealing in hindsight. Hoffman? Not even sure why you brought his name up, unless it were just making a reference to his contract. Hoffy is worth every penny and then some to the Padres and the city. I don't agree with him asking for $9 million a year, but he's damn well worth $7 million.

With everyone so down on Towers, why are they so excited about Epstein? Didn't he work under Towers? Didn't he learn from Towers? Didn't he sign David Wells? I would love to see what the guy could do with real budget constraints, not the Monopoly money he had in Boston. I just don't want to see it in San Diego.

TBOLTZCALI
11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
All i know about the padres is that they backended in to the playoffs. if it werent for barry's injury or the depleted dodger team, we would be in 3rd last year. but i see no signs of the padres repeating until they get the bats they need. castilla may help a bit but nothing to get excited about, he is 38 years old. Klesko is a bust. fan favorite or not, he needs to go. we have alot of holes on the team. the only solid positions we have are at short with khalil and at second with the aging loretta. other than that, we are going to lose giles and hoffman. our outfield is fearless compared to the cardinals, astros and yankees, not to mention red sox. we have all this maybe talent in nady which i think is a waste of time. ben johnson looks like a keeper. dave roberts may stay but could upgrade there also. so looks like another year of rebuilding for the padres in there new stadium that promised a winner.

Chargers
11-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Typical Padres. This is lame. This is the kind of trade they would have made during their days at the Q. We were told they'd put a winner on the field now that they have their new ballpark. I'm not buying it. I'm glad that their new ballpark "allowed" them to bring in a .253, 12 HR, 66 RBI third baseman. The fact that he is 38 doesn't help either. Oh well - Moores is laughing all the way to the bank.

Alibell1
11-04-2005, 05:14 PM
we have all this maybe talent in nady which i think is a waste of time.

If Nady gets the chance to be the every day 1B I'll bet anything he could hit 25 HR's and drive in 90-100 runs. The problem is Bochy wouldn't give him consistent AB's. If he was hot Bochy would play him, but as soon as he put 2 bad games together he was on the bench. Most if not all major league hitters need consistent AB's to be productive.

miciti2000
11-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Klesko and Nevin deserved the contracts they got. Sorry, but look at the numbers before the contracts were signed. Klesko didn't have the injury problems and Nevin put up a few consistent years in a row. You're dealing in hindsight. Hoffman? Not even sure why you brought his name up, unless it were just making a reference to his contract. Hoffy is worth every penny and then some to the Padres and the city. I don't agree with him asking for $9 million a year, but he's damn well worth $7 million.

With everyone so down on Towers, why are they so excited about Epstein? Didn't he work under Towers? Didn't he learn from Towers? Didn't he sign David Wells? I would love to see what the guy could do with real budget constraints, not the Monopoly money he had in Boston. I just don't want to see it in San Diego.

Welcome to the post-steroid era. Padres should learn business model from Oakland and WhiteSox - just like NFL teams are studying New England model. Regardless of business model, it works very well in any sport if you draft and develope well, then spend money wisely - not freely. Padres and Tower has not been doing well in those areas in recent year. Mention the draft, thanks God for AJ did extremely well for us 2 years in a row.

Alibell1
11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the post-steroid era. Padres should learn business model from Oakland and WhiteSox...

I think the A's have steroids to thank for a few good years.

Podium
11-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Bash Brothers...

RBloom
11-04-2005, 10:52 PM
If Nady gets the chance to be the every day 1B I'll bet anything he could hit 25 HR's and drive in 90-100 runs. The problem is Bochy wouldn't give him consistent AB's. If he was hot Bochy would play him, but as soon as he put 2 bad games together he was on the bench. Most if not all major league hitters need consistent AB's to be productive.

I do believe in Nady getting more at bats but ..............remember when they started him for 3-4 weeks straight? He dipped way below .250. But you never know it could have been just a funk.

Alibell1
11-05-2005, 08:38 AM
I do believe in Nady getting more at bats but ..............remember when they started him for 3-4 weeks straight? He dipped way below .250. But you never know it could have been just a funk.

Every good hitter slumps, even the great Tony Gwynn had them. What if Bochy had given up on Giles after the first few months of this year? Dude couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag and was the definition of a rally killer. The thing is, vets get the chance to hit themselves out of slumps while the young guys will get benched for fear they may lose their confidence for an extended period of time.

I can see Nady hitting around .265 with 25 HR's and 100 RBI and probably strikingout around 120 times if given the chance to play every day.

RBloom
11-05-2005, 10:55 AM

You are right............. Nevin did deserve it because of that one or 2nd year that he blew up with over 100 RBI's. The problem for him was people in the organization thought he was a cancer and have been trying to shop him around for a few years. Klesko, I don't believe........ in my opinion deserves it. He has always been a sub par hitter with some power. He had a couple of decent years but has always had injuries even back to his Atlanta Days. In regards to Hoffman, you are right , I believe he is worth every penny, but in it's normal in all sports to not don't break the bank on your old players. Let's face it Hoffy is not what he used to be. Sure he got his 2nd best season in saves but look at his K's, look at his Fast ball, Look at his blown saves. I mean it was almost nerve racking to see him come out with no outs and 2 men on. I say give him a small base contract full of incentives that would make him a high paid player. Give him like 250,000 a save. (Just Joking but not really)

Look what they did with Tony Gwynn, He wanted to break the bank his remaining years. Did I think he deserved it....HELL YES HE DID. But they gave him a regular contract with incentives. Even Lee Smith (all time saves leader) got a small contract his last couple of years. It's a business.

Do you want to give a lot of money to a player that is getting up there in age and has lost a step or 2. Or would you rather give him a contract that will motivate him to make the money he thinks he deserves? I think I would offer him opti0on 2 and spend money on younger players that will grow in the organization.

In regards to the David Wells was signed by epstein. Epstein wanted him to be a 3rd or 4th starter in the rotation. Would I want Wells in the back of my rotation? Hell Ya I would. The Padres wanted him to be there leader and number one ace. No way I liked that move. The Padres should build around Peavy and go from there.

Alibell1
11-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Between the ages of 25-31 Klesko averaged 26 HR's, 89 RBI and hit .283. If you look at what he did in his first 3 years in SD you'll see his per year averages are even higher than those. He also managed to steal 46 bags in his first 2 years in San Diego. He had a 4 year run of having an OPS of over .900 when the league average was around .750. He also gets on base. He had OPB's of .393, .384, and .388 his first 3 years here. I don't remember Klesko missing alot of games in ATL because of injury, but I do remember him being sat against lefties a bunch because he had trouble hitting them. He's learned to hit them better since being in SD because Boche gave him the chance.

Does Klesko deserve $10 million a year? Probably not. Is he a subpar hitter? Certainly not.

As for Hoffman, I don't know what you really want. 2005 was not as bad as 2000, but his numbers are dropping some. His career K/9 is 10.01, in 2005 it dropped to 8.4. His career WHIP is 9.45 and in 2005 it went up to 9.98. Even at his advanced age there is probably one closer in all of baseball that I would take over Hoffy and that would be Lidge from Houston, but even he blew a big save (I think Pujols's HR still hasn't come down yet) and I might even consider Street from Oakland only because of his age. Even the great Mariano Rivera has looked human in the past couple years and not just against Boston.

Like I said, Hoffy is worth about $7 million a year, not the $9 million he is asking for. I just hope the Pads don't low ball the guy out of town. This will be a PR nightmare for the team if he leaves town over a few million dollars.

SuperCharger81
11-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Vinny Castilla... will make over 3.5 million this coming season. He's 38, had a very very average season last year, and the bulk of his stats are padded thanks to the launching pad knows as Coors Field.

Another trade where the Padres fleeced the other team *COUGH*

A short laundry list of areas to address:

-Get rid of Kevin Towers
-DO NOT TRADE ADAM EATON
-If anything find another QUALITY arm to add to the rotation
-Find guys who drive the ball into the gaps (not moonshots that die at the track)
-If they have to have the longball... then go get some pull hitters
-End the nickel and dime acquisitions and go get some guys that are gonna produce in the field and at the plate
-Use the %$#ing farm system... that's what it's there for!!!

You put a mediocre team on the field you get a mediocre reception. Padres wanna see the seats at the stadium fill up then give the fans something to cheer about!!

Alibell1
11-05-2005, 04:54 PM
-If they have to have the longball... then go get some pull hitters

Castilla is a dead pull hitter. Probably one of the reasons he was brought in.