PDA

View Full Version : Best Chargers team ever?

NYfromSoCal
10-17-2006, 06:57 PM
I know there are some mighty respectable teams in Chargers history, but as a 41 year old lifetime Chargers fan, I don't recall a team that appeared to have this much balance on offense AND a very respectable defense to go with it. Aside from the onfield abilities, what impresses me more about this team than teams from the past is the attitude and sense of humility. Maybe it's just my perception but this team seems to be extremely confident and, at the same time, very humble. They seem to know how good they very well might be but lack the egos that might allow those thoughts to go to their heads. Maybe it's just me.

Your thoughts?

JCDavey
10-17-2006, 07:01 PM
most talented, yes
most succesful, yet to be determined

only thing that can stop us is us, and that's the truth.

drangus
10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I agree, but that type of culture starts with the FO and the leaders on the team (i.e. LT, K-mac, oben, godfrey, jamal etc..)

keep in mind that the FO has brought these players together in a very deliberate manner

some of these guys may not be the best atletes at their respective positions but most have the

type of character that AJ covets in team leaders

BoltFanInAtl
10-17-2006, 07:06 PM
I've been a fan charger fan since 1980, and I'd have to say this team is probably the most balanced I can remember. 2004/2005 teams were about as good, they just got some bad breaks.

Ask us again in Febuary..

Thunderstruck
10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
most talented, yes

That's pretty much verbatim what I was about to say.

TrabucoWR
10-17-2006, 07:18 PM
most talented, yes

I agree with you 100%. However, I don't agree with your avatar quote, I think you might have to change it :D

NYfromSoCal
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
I realize it's premature to say "best ever" but what impresses me is the confidence and the one week at a time attitude.

hankster
10-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I agree it's the most balanced. In the early 80's we had Air Coryell, which was an offensive juggernaut. However, the defense left a lot to be desired. Now we have both. If this team stays healthy and focused, and Martyball stays dead, then this year's team has the ability to be the best Charger team ever. That means they win the SB.! And the exciting thing is this is a young team that's largely locked in for the next several years.

dillona
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
There's only one number that will ever separate them from any other Charger team over Chargers history. SUPERBOWL WINS

Jammer
10-17-2006, 07:50 PM
There's only one number that will ever separate them from any other Charger team over Chargers history. SUPERBOWL WINS

Exactly SB ring best team

JCDavey
10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I agree with you 100%. However, I don't agree with your avatar quote, I think you might have to change it :Dyeah i may end up having to change it , but not till they technically get in! haha

DSMBOLT
10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Offense with Fouts etc, defense with the SB team. We have them both this year. But, scoreboard is all that matters, we gotta win them!!

baphamet
10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
i think it is still early to say that this years team is one of our best ever. if we keep this up and beat teams like Denver and Cincinnati and then go deep in the playoffs then i might be ready to say this is one of our best teams ever.

JCDavey
10-17-2006, 08:20 PM
i think it is still early to say that this years team is one of our best ever. if we keep this up and beat teams like Denver and Cincinnati and then go deep in the playoffs then i might be ready to say this is one of our best teams ever.is cincy a .500 team yet? cause they sure are playing like one, i think they may be playing themselves right out of a playoff race with that horrible run defense.

jamesbond
10-17-2006, 09:13 PM
The 1961 team was the one I remember the most, with Lincoln and Lowe setbacks behind Jackie Kemp, Ron Mix at tackle, and Ernie Ladd and Earl Faison on the defensive line.
But I remember empty feelings walking out of Balboa Stadium, after losses to the Raiders(Cotton Davidson was their QB...I think).
Anyway, these guys are much better, and I think Paul Lowe would probably agree to that.
Does he still have his liquor store, in Logan Heights?

chargerlew
10-17-2006, 09:14 PM
This is definitely our most balanced team to date. Talent wise, we've never had this much talent on both sides of the ball at the same time.

The early 80's Fouts teams may have had a bit more offensive firepower, but I think this team can match (and even exceed) those teams as Rivers continues to mature. The Dan Marino comparisons seem to be warranted thus far, which is beyond exciting.

Our defense during the SB year of '94 wasn't even close to our defense this year. That team was good but not great. I think they would fall under the "gutty, gritty, and lucky" category.

Last year we were close, but the secondary was not quite where it needed to be. Also, the schedule hurt us and we didn't get any lucky bounces (minus turnover margin).

This year's team has so much potential it's scary. I don't think the NFL Chargers have ever been able to claim a dominant team, but this year we just might. The best part is we are young and so many of our players are locked up.

boltcorpse
10-17-2006, 09:18 PM
The answer is "yes." Best Charger team ever. Hands down.

Da Bolts.

MadMadigan
10-17-2006, 09:26 PM
When did the Chargers ever have this much Talent on both sides of the Ball? Fouts was incredible, but JJ, Joiner, Winslow, and Chandler helped him get there in a big way, some of those deep catchs were absolutely incredible!! Muncie was good but the way he carried the ball made me cringe. But this offense has the tools to surpass them in my opinion, and the defence is the best ive ever seen in SD.

boltsrock
10-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Though I'm too young to remember the talented teams of the past, I do know one thing.

Rivers against the Ravens: At the end of the game when Rivers knew he wasn't gonna get the chance to throw a hail mary he threw the ball at the ground in disgust.

Rivers against the Stealers: The overhead cam zeroed in on Rivers eyes and he had a determination and commanded the attention of the entire offense.

Rivers wants it bad. He's intense....but he's composed. He will lead this team to the Super Bowl. I just know it.

baphamet
10-17-2006, 09:32 PM
is cincy a .500 team yet? cause they sure are playing like one, i think they may be playing themselves right out of a playoff race with that horrible run defense.

true, the seahawks and the rams may pose a bigger threat than the Bengals at this point.

MadMadigan
10-17-2006, 09:36 PM
true, the seahawks and the rams may pose a bigger threat than the Bengals at this point. Hags have a better D than the Bungs and Alexander will probably be back when we face them. Dont know what to make of the Rams, accept Bulger will test our Secondary in a big way, Pass rush may help us out there. Bungs well , maybe i should worry about them the most, because im not worried about that one :D

boltcorpse
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Rivers wants it bad. He's intense....but he's composed. He will lead this team to the Super Bowl. I just know it.

Ok, Nostradamos, so you "know" Rivers will lead the Bolts to the SB, eh?

This season or some other season?

You failed to say whether the Bolts would win the SB, you only said Rivers would lead them there. Will the Bolts win the SB or no?

o-line protag
10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
is cincy a .500 team yet? cause they sure are playing like one, i think they may be playing themselves right out of a playoff race with that horrible run defense.
Living in Cincinnati, I can tell you that there is growing concern amongst the fans here. The Bengals have been desimated by injury and off field suspensions. Their o-line is falling apart. ( Levi Jones LT out for probably a month, knee scope today. Rich Braham, Center out indef. w/ broken leg. Carson Palmer is under pressure with basically a new cadaver tendon in his stick. He really has not looked to be in 2005 form. They have a brutal schedule... the Bengals are imploding. And I have'nt even mentioned the defense :rolleyes:

chargeraddict
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
The 1963 AFC Champion team is the best Charger team to date. If this team continues to improve, maybe by next year they will be equal to that '63 team. Right now, no.