PDA

View Full Version : Would you still be a fan???

mccharger
05-19-2007, 05:49 PM
With all this talk about a new stadium for the Chargers its got me thinking. If god forbid the Chargers move outside the county would you still be a Charger Fan?

BuenoExcelente
05-19-2007, 05:51 PM
As long as they stay in the southern Cali area, I will be fine. Though I don't think they will be received very well in LA. Those folks just suck!

ledhead71
05-19-2007, 06:10 PM
as long as they dont go to new york or boston or denver or oakland or KC

JCDavey
05-19-2007, 06:15 PM
yep i would, sometimes it just has to be realized that the people who have run the city, weren't always doing a good job at it.

kjcchargers
05-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Yes - especially if the stayed in SoCal area.

vheman
05-19-2007, 07:04 PM
i stayed with them when i left town. i'd do the same if they left town.

Firemarshalbill
05-19-2007, 07:19 PM
I would probably become a raider fan...

BuenoExcelente
05-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Can we start beating you now?

ledhead71
05-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Can we start beating you now?
i second this

Rip
05-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Im sorry but NO!

This city has supported this team for 45 years even with very little team success, for them to just up and move, especially now that the team is one of the most talented, would be a huge slap in the face and not something i would be able to support.

I hate the city of LA and cant support any team there, and even anaheim is too far for me

Hate to say it, but if the team left san diego, i think i would either have to become a fan of the next closest team, the arizona cardinals, or go back to being a lions fan (im originally from detroit and was a lions fan when i first started watching football because of my dad)

fontanachrgrfan
05-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Yeah I'd still be a fan, but it wouldn't be the same... if they left I would hope that they went somewhere that would be cool to visit at least.

Rivers_owns
05-19-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah I would still be a fan.

BuenoExcelente
05-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Yeah I would still be a fan.

You better say that. As a Rivers backer, I expect it! lol

TurnerThaBurner
05-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Lol, you already sound like one right now!

As I stated before in another thread regarding so-called 'diehard fans' and 'supporters'...if you honestly would stop supporting the Chargers if they were to leave SD, then imo, you were never a fan to begin with. Sorry if I offended anyone here w/ those replies, but I still stand by what I said. Anyone who claims to be a fan, diehard fan, or loyal supporter of the Chargers but would turn their back on the team at the drop of a hat if they had no choice but to move out of SD defines the term 'homer' imho. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone by saying this.

I myself will continue to support the team, regardless if they moved to LA, OC, or San Antonio, TX. I said it before and I'll say it again...I support the entire Chargers team & organization as a whole, not just the city of SD itself.

And I remember someone here telling me that if we (yes, I'll go ahead and say WE) were to move out of SD, they would stop supporting the Chargers, but would support a different team that moved into the city :confused: Well okay then...if that's the case, then god forbid if the Raiders had to leave Oakland and moved here or the Broncos had to leave Denver...then what? Are you still gonna support them just because they play in SD, or are you gonna become a 'closet fan?' Ask yourself that question...

SP17BOLT
05-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I voted yes...

boltzfolife21
05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
i would still be a fan

BuenoExcelente
05-19-2007, 08:30 PM
i would still be a fan

With the name you have, I would figure that for sure. :LightsOut:

Stone
05-19-2007, 08:36 PM
+1 to TurnerThaBurner. Nail hit on head.

TrabucoWR
05-19-2007, 08:53 PM
As I stated before in another thread regarding so-called 'diehard fans' and 'supporters'...if you honestly would stop supporting the Chargers if they were to leave SD, then imo, you were never a fan to begin with. Sorry if I offended anyone here w/ those replies, but I still stand by what I said. Anyone who claims to be a fan, diehard fan, or loyal supporter of the Chargers but would turn their back on the team at the drop of a hat if they had no choice but to move out of SD defines the term 'homer' imho. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone by saying this.

I myself will continue to support the team, regardless if they moved to LA, OC, or San Antonio, TX. I said it before and I'll say it again...I support the entire Chargers team & organization as a whole, not just the city of SD itself.

And I remember someone here telling me that if we (yes, I'll go ahead and say WE) were to move out of SD, they would stop supporting the Chargers, but would support a different team that moved into the city :confused: Well okay then...if that's the case, then god forbid if the Raiders had to leave Oakland and moved here or the Broncos had to leave Denver...then what? Are you still gonna support them just because they play in SD, or are you gonna become a 'closet fan?' Ask yourself that question...[/QUOTE]

I take no offense to your comments, but I don't buy the reasoning.
Does anyone think there was dancing in the streets in Baltimore when the Colts won the Super Bowl last January?
The Anaheim Rams always had good fan support. I doubt their fans here took a lot of pride in the Saint Louis Rams SB win.
Should the Chargers ever move to Anaheim, I will still be a fan but it won't be the same. Should they move out of state? Ask me again when that happens.
San Diego Broncos? San Diego Raiders? That just ain't gonna happen.

eightdogs
05-19-2007, 09:49 PM
I grew up on the Rams. The Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow, Dick Bass, Fearsome Foursome, George Allen, Chuck Knox Rams. I remember players like Dave Elmendorf, Berney Casey, Lamar Lundy, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Rosie Grier. Joe Corrollo, Eric Dickerson. When the Rams first moved from L.A. to Anaheim, I thought, "What the ?", but wasn't too bothered by it because they were still in driving range to claim as my team. I even sang the national anthem for the Rams one season. What an honor. So, I was still a Rams fan. But when they moved to St. Louis, it made it harder to be a Rams fan. I was very happy for the Rams when they won their superbowls, and their team was an exciting offensive power. They were very exciting, but they were no longer my team. Shortly after that move I became a Chargers fan. I had always liked the Chargers. Their uniform, at the time when I was just beginning to watch football, was similar to the Rams, and definitely, as unique. They were my favorite AFC team. Once my beloved Rams left Southern California for good, it was very easy for me to become a Chargers fan. They've always been a good team, even when their record didn't say so. I have never seen a Chargers team try to lose a game. I have never seen a Chargers team just lay down . This team, win or lose, comes to play. I believe I'd still be a fan, even if they moved to another State, at least until the Saints move west , after the Chargers leave. Now that would be a test for my attention.

Colsrob
05-19-2007, 09:59 PM
Being someone that lives in a city without a NFL team, it would be a dream come true if the Chargers were to move here. It would seem weird for a bit, but in time the new name would just roll off of the tongue. :)

Yes, I can travel for 2 hrs north or south and be at a pro team stadium, but I obviously chose the Chargers as my team. As far as that goes, I can travel about 3 hours in all directions and be at a NFL stadium(Detriot, Pitt, Phily, Indy, Cleveland, Cinnci, Baltimore, Wash(last 2 slighlty more than 3 hrs)).

The comparison to the Colts scenerio is not the same at all. Baltimore has a new team and I believe the city supports them all out. It could almost be guaranteed that they were not disappointed that the move happened, when the Ravens won the SB a few years back. Plus, im not sure that the city refused to support the team any longer, the team just left for other reasons and THAT was a slap in the face to the respective city. The Chargers situation is different and I would continue to support them. Its not as if I supported them from the start, just because they were in SD. My support happened because of the lightning bolts. As long as they continue to have the same colors and logo, its basically the same for me.

But, if the city does something retarded like Cleveland did, and fight to keep the name and colors, I could not support any new team the was created to fill the void. If Cleveland wanted a team so damn bad, all they had to do was build a new stadium for Modell and he wouldnt have left. Instead, they chose to let them leave, cry to the NFL, and then build a new stadium for a semi-pro team to come in and annoy the (so-called) loyal fans. If they were so loyal, they wouldnt have supported a city that would do that to their team in the first place.

desertswo
05-19-2007, 10:13 PM
I answered, "Yes, but . . ." However, I am of an age where I remember them tearing the original San Diego Rockets out of the arena when they were just starting to resemble a competent basketball team with Elvin Hayes, Rudy Tomjonovich and Calvin Murphy as a nucleus. I just wasn't able to love them anymore. Even though I now live in Phoenix, I will always consider San Diego "home," and though I would like to think that I could still love the Chargers if they moved elsewhere, a little voice tells me that if they ended up in San Antonio or something, I'd probably lose my love for them pretty quickly. Maybe especially if they moved to San Antonio given the hose job that my Suns just got at the hands of those thugs and the NBA dictator. Those people donít deserve a team like the Chargers. Only those of us who have endured all the bad with the occasional good that I have endured over the past 45 years deserve a team like the Chargers!

Electrocution
05-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Im sorry but NO!

This city has supported this team for 45 years even with very little team success, for them to just up and move, especially now that the team is one of the most talented, would be a huge slap in the face and not something i would be able to support.

I hate the city of LA and cant support any team there, and even anaheim is too far for me

Hate to say it, but if the team left san diego, i think i would either have to become a fan of the next closest team, the arizona cardinals, or go back to being a lions fan (im originally from detroit and was a lions fan when i first started watching football because of my dad)

I also voted no. I'm with you Rip. I was born, raised and will probably die in San Diego. I just could not support this team if they played in another city. I would become Packers fan like my dad(dad was born and raised in Green Bay)and yes I will be at Lambeau on 9/23 rooting for the bolts. I would also put the money that I spend on season tickets towards NFL sunday ticket since I would be spending my Sundays at home instead of tailgating at the Qualcomm parking lot.:(

TurnerThaBurner
05-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I grew up on the Rams. The Roman Gabriel, Jack Snow, Dick Bass, Fearsome Foursome, George Allen, Chuck Knox Rams. I remember players like Dave Elmendorf, Berney Casey, Lamar Lundy, Deacon Jones, Merlin Olson, Rosie Grier. Joe Corrollo, Eric Dickerson. When the Rams first moved from L.A. to Anaheim, I thought, "What the ?", but wasn't too bothered by it because they were still in driving range to claim as my team. I even sang the national anthem for the Rams one season. What an honor. So, I was still a Rams fan. But when they moved to St. Louis, it made it harder to be a Rams fan. I was very happy for the Rams when they won their superbowls, and their team was an exciting offensive power. They were very exciting, but they were no longer my team. Shortly after that move I became a Chargers fan. I had always liked the Chargers. Their uniform, at the time when I was just beginning to watch football, was similar to the Rams, and definitely, as unique. They were my favorite AFC team. Once my beloved Rams left Southern California for good, it was very easy for me to become a Chargers fan. They've always been a good team, even when their record didn't say so. I have never seen a Chargers team try to lose a game. I have never seen a Chargers team just lay down . This team, win or lose, comes to play. I believe I'd still be a fan, even if they moved to another State, at least until the Saints move west , after the Chargers leave. Now that would be a test for my attention.
Oh man, you just took me back down memory lane! :Beer: I haven't seen nor heard anyone mention those names in years!

I grew up in LA and had lots of friends who were Rams fans back in the day. My late uncle (RIP) was a diehard Rams fan and had autographed posters and footballs of Rosie, Deacon, and Dickerson. He played QB in high school, and dreamt of playing for the Rams until he suffered a serious knee injury. Shame, he was really good from what my dad told me. He was so glad when they won SB XXXIV, despite them playing in STL. He passed away 2 months later.

About the (then) Baltimore Colts: the shocking part about them moving was the way they moved out...in the middle of the night w/o any notice while ppl were asleep. Even if fans in BAL weren't exactly having a Mardi Gras festival over the Colts' SB victory this past February, I'm sure there were still a number of longtime Colt fans who were happy for them either way. It all depends on their loyalty to said team.

stonedriver29
05-19-2007, 10:47 PM
yeah sure id still be a fan why not.ive got nothing else better to do.

mccharger
05-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I meant to add a fourth choice on the poll which would be "Im not sure how Id feel". Thats where Im at right now. I would like to think i could have the same passion if the Chargers were playing for a different city but to be honest I dont know if I would. I was born and raised in San Diego and I take pride in seeing the Chargers and Padres represent my hometown. So I guess it would still be my favorite team but I dont think it could be the same. Heres to Keeping our Chargers in SD..:Cheers:

BORNINSD1964
05-19-2007, 11:12 PM
Even though I love our SAN DIEGO Chargers, I wouldn't feel the same if they went somewhere else.

After the Rockets and Clippers left, I didn't care about them anymore because whatever they achieved wouldn't count for San Diego and the people who really supported them and loyally stuck behind them. And it would be the same for the Chargers in time I'm sure.

For a few seasons maybe I would care about the Chargers players passively and quietly wish them succcess because they're good people and they used to be our guys, but I'll be damned if I would ever sport San Antonio Chargers gear or whatever city they sold out to.

Bottom line, in the end I would be so pissed off at the ownership for selling out us longtime fans, I would end up losing interest in this team and secretly wishing they could rot in hell like Donald Sterling.

San Diego is a great city and deserves a great team. The Chargers belong in San Diego! Anywhere else just won't count!

R4PT0R
05-20-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't even live in the states so yes i would still be a fan

LightsOut4ever
05-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I put yes-but-not-the-same. It would be like how I support the Vikings. When the Chargers lose, it can really bum me out the early part of a week, but with the Vikings, they're so physically removed that I just shrug it off and keep going with life (doesn't hurt I havn't had that high of expectations for them lately :D).

bigslick
05-20-2007, 09:18 AM
why would you care where the Chargers play? Every game is a road game for you.

As someone who lives in the City of San Diego, I would have ZERO interest in them if they moved outside of San Diego County. Why would I care about the San Antonio Chargers?

hankster
05-20-2007, 09:20 AM
If they stay in SoCal I will remain a fan. Otherwise, I'd wait for the next team to move into SoCal and root for them. I was born and raised in SD and have lived in SoCal my entire life. I flat out won't support a team that's out of state, and NoCal is out of state if you have spent any time there. They don't consider us part of their state.

R4PT0R
05-20-2007, 09:40 AM
As someone who lives in the City of San Diego, I would have ZERO interest in them if they moved outside of San Diego County. Why would I care about the San Antonio Chargers?

Thats just like asking someone like me why would i care about the San DIego Chargers, after all, I don't even live in the City of San Diego...

bigslick
05-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Thats just like asking someone like me why would i care about the San DIego Chargers, after all, I don't even live in the City of San Diego...
When Ancaster(?) gets an NFL team, you can make a choice between Ancaster and the Chargers.

As someone who grew up in the County, I have some civic pride.

RAWDOGG
05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
the ten that said no, should be banned

SDFaiderHater
05-20-2007, 10:42 AM
With all this talk about a new stadium for the Chargers its got me thinking. If god forbid the Chargers move outside the county would you still be a Charger Fan?

as long as they didnt move to LA...if they move there i cant be a fan anymore.

bigslick
05-20-2007, 11:15 AM
as long as they didnt move to LA...if they move there i cant be a fan anymore.
Then you are banned by RAWDOGG.

kinch
05-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Nah, my heart wouldn't be in it to be honest. They would still be my favorite NFL team but I would pretty much become a passive football fan. It's a different issue for fans that grew up in San Diego than for fans that are from out of town.

...before anyone gets indignant, I am not saying that out of town fans aren't as much Charger fans as the rest of us.

Firemarshalbill
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM

Only 1 vote to ban me and 2 votes to beat me so far.. I expected more honestly..If I ever considered becoming a raider I would beat myself up dont worry..

Firemarshalbill
05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I grew up rooting for the padres and chargers even when it wasnt popular in school because they didnt win. I will always be a charger fan. I would root for chargers and padres even if I grew up somewhere else. they are the underdog, non big market team with no superbowl ring .. It will make that first superbowl that much more exciting.

Strife9878
05-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I would be... been with the Bots scense my grandmother sat me down in front of a charger game in 94. (im still a young guy I know) It wouldnt be the same though. I always want to support the local team, and if a team moved closer I may or may not jump ship. /shrug. Hopefully Chula Vista or oceaside pics them up.

baphamet
05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
i stayed with them when i left town. i'd do the same if they left town.

yep i feel the same way as well, i left the area more than 20 years ago and am still a fan....i would be a chargers fan if they played in mexico....

ChargerBooster
05-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Let me ask you another question in return.

If your wife or girlfriend left you for another man, would you cheer for her when she made love to another man ?

Why would I still root for a Team that in essence had betrayed me (and all the other fans) in chasing the almighty buck, like the St. Louis Rats ?

SD.since.82
05-20-2007, 02:55 PM
i couldnt see myself rooting for another team. it would be just like if i left san diego, i would still be a charger fan.

eightdogs
05-20-2007, 03:09 PM

If your wife or girlfriend left you for another man, would you cheer for her when she made love to another man ?

Why would I still root for a Team that in essence had betrayed me (and all the other fans) in chasing the almighty buck, like the St. Louis Rats ?

Hey ! She might have moved on. And I might have moved on. But if she was Jenna Jamison, and if she had been my bed buddy for quite saome time in my wilder days , sure, I'd root for her. I'd say to all my friends. "Yep! I tapped that.Damn! That was SaWEEEEET!!!!!"

crixus
05-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Probably...but not a very happy one. Seeing how they did come here from L.A. County in the first place. But I'm confident they will remain in San Diego County, hopefully in the city itself.

Stone
05-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Can you stay friends with a girlfriend you broke up with? Guess it depends on why you guys broke up. Based on the reasons why they'd leave town, its a breakup that would allow me to remain friends with them.

Now, if it went down the way it did in Baltimore-to-Indy and Cleveland-to-Baltimore, I don't think I'd call her.

(inc)
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
Nope, no more than I've been a Rockets fan since Breitbart sold out from under us (and, yes, he's done many excellent things since, but that was a _big_ mistake).

LightsOut4ever
05-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I would pretty much become a passive football fan.
I think that's a better way of saying what I tried to say in my post but much more to the point. So I really hope they don't move too far because footballs the only thing I'm really into right now.

HeadTrip
05-20-2007, 05:16 PM
I don't care where they go, I'll still love them. :Bolt: :Helmet: :Football:

viento1602
05-20-2007, 05:26 PM
I will stay a season ticket holder anwhere in SoCal, and stay a fan anywhere they end up. I would blame the SD city mismanagment if they leave, not the team... Actually I would love it if the moved to the rose bowl( I live 5min away), but it will never happen. They did begin as the LA chargers, as you know, so it would not be that weird...

My biggest hope is for O-side...

bolt777
05-20-2007, 05:55 PM
of course i would i live in fla lol i wish they would move here

Bounty Hunter
05-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I'd have to turn my attention to Drew Brees and the SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Bolt:

LTTDMachine
05-20-2007, 06:16 PM
San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, London, the Moon, I would wear the Bolt no matter where they were playing!

Wideout6
05-20-2007, 06:35 PM
of course i would still be a fan..

conair103
05-20-2007, 06:52 PM
i live in canada so it wouldnt really bother me to much
and if it was closer that would kind of help, but i love that city so much from the times ive been their, i would really hate for SD to lose them :(

SDin07
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I live in Oregon now, it would be lame if they were anywhere but SoCal but I will always be a Charger fan. Even if they go to South Dakota. :-/

TuckerFouts
05-20-2007, 07:13 PM
heres a tough question.

What if the chargers moved to oakland the raiders moved to SD. Who would you root for?

ftwbolt
05-20-2007, 07:21 PM

I could never be a Homer for any other Team !!

scBoltsFan
05-20-2007, 07:28 PM
heres a tough question.

What if the chargers moved to oakland the raiders moved to SD. Who would you root for?

i would just crawl into a hole and die.

ftwbolt
05-20-2007, 07:54 PM
If they stay in SoCal I will remain a fan. Otherwise, I'd wait for the next team to move into SoCal and root for them. I was born and raised in SD and have lived in SoCal my entire life. I flat out won't support a team that's out of state, and NoCal is out of state if you have spent any time there. They don't consider us part of their state.

Question: If the City of San Diego is not willing to Commit to the whole Chargers organzation, what makes anybody think that any other Franchise would be willing to move to San Diego and put up with the same nonsense that the Chargers have had to tolerant.

bigslick
05-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Question: If the City of San Diego is not willing to Commit to the whole Chargers organzation, what makes anybody think that any other Franchise would be willing to move to San Diego and put up with the same nonsense that the Chargers have had to tolerant.
In your opinion, how has the City hurt the Chargers?

zabens
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
I live in Las Vegas now and I will always be a Chargers fan. If they come to LV (I sure hope they don't because Bolt fans are few and far between here) I would be psyched because I can see every game every week and not have to pay for the NFL network Directv thing every season just so I won't miss a single game. I would rather shell out the extra couple hundred for season tickets.

Anyway, with that being said... if they did leave town who the hell would you possibly root for? Seriously! I admit getting on the Saints bandwagon this year but mainly because I'm a DB fan and a MB fan. If they weren't there they would just be another team in the NFC I wouldn't really even think about. My dad grew up a Rams fan and is still one to this day. I won't go there since he was so disappointed when I told him my favorite team was the Bolts.

Just list off the possible teams to go for if they left town. The answer is right there in front of you

TurnerThaBurner
05-21-2007, 02:34 AM

If she was a total b***h, then yes. In fact, I'd be hoping he would give her crabs :)

Kelverin
05-21-2007, 05:04 AM
Hell no, they most likely would become my least favorite team. I became a San Diego fan before I became a Chargers fan. I do not support traitors.

ftwbolt
05-21-2007, 05:54 AM
In your opinion, how has the City hurt the Chargers?

By their unwillingness to meet somewhere in the middle on all of this, or as close as possible.

The point is: If the Bolts are willing to work something out and the City is not, then another team who may want to fill the void may have to give up more than what they want to.

bigslick
05-21-2007, 08:00 AM
By their unwillingness to meet somewhere in the middle on all of this, or as close as possible.

The point is: If the Bolts are willing to work something out and the City is not, then another team who may want to fill the void may have to give up more than what they want to.
The topic has been discussed on hundreds of posts for the past 3 years. THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO CANNOT GIVE THE QUALCOMM LAND TO THE CHARGERS. The water department actually owns it and it has been pledged as collateral for the pension fund.

They really can't even sell it for the same reasons. The Chargers (and several development partners) figured this out in 2005. That is why it has been a dead issue.

If you have another 100+ acre site in the CITY OF SAN DIEGO that might work, please call Mark Fabiani and Jerry Sanders.

If you want to blame the City Councils of the late 1990's and early 2000's because they borrowed too much money and gave away too many benefits, go ahead. Sanders and the current council have their hands tied.

ChargersWin!
05-21-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll be a fan for life, whether the Chargers are in So-Cal or the north pole!

CBO
05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
I would still support them but as others have said It just wouldn't be the same. For me to be born and raised in SD you have a stronger bond to the team vs. someone that lives in antother city. If they were to leave I would still support them but would hope that San Dirgo relized what a big mistake it was to let them go and tried to get an Expansion team.

HeadTrip
05-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I would still support them but as others have said It just wouldn't be the same. For me to be born and raised in SD you have a stronger bond to the team vs. someone that lives in antother city. If they were to leave I would still support them but would hope that San Dirgo relized what a big mistake it was to let them go and tried to get an Expansion team.

I wasn't born and raised in SD and I'm pretty sure you don't have a stronger bond to the team than me. I'm willing to bet it's just the opposite.

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:23 AM

My loyalty is with the city of San Diego. Padres, Chargers, Aztecs....but they have to have the "San Diego" preceeding.

I do not bandwagon on other cities teams.

Stan :17:

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:25 AM

You probably already are. Troll!

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Im sorry but NO!

I live in LA and I HATE LA...let me qualify that, I live in LA County. Still this is perhaps the biggest pile of DUNG of a city and it's inhabitants for the most part are idiots, men, women, children and old people.

But it's easier to fleece these suckers than anything else.

Steve-O-Bolt
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Hell NO!!!!!!!! When a girl breaks up with you after a long beautiful relationship, I want NOTHING to do with her. If this team leaves and becomes the San Antonio Chargers, I am sorry, if you rip out my heart, I am done with you. But....I think a stadium deal will get done. Look for the Bolts new stadium by 2011.:Beer: I don't subscribe to the "lets just be friends" theory at all.

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I also voted no. I'm with you Rip. I was born, raised and will probably die in San Diego. I just could not support this team if they played in another city. I would become Packers fan like my dad(dad was born and raised in Green Bay)and yes I will be at Lambeau on 9/23 rooting for the bolts. I would also put the money that I spend on season tickets towards NFL sunday ticket since I would be spending my Sundays at home instead of tailgating at the Qualcomm parking lot.:(

I already told [not asked] my wife to place my ashes down the 3rd base line of Petco...and I wasn't even born in San Diego.

The Spanoses can steal the Chargers but they can't take the city's soul!

Let them try to take the Chargers out, see what kind of response they get, would not be surprised to see them get tarred and feathered and run out of the city on a rail.

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Even though I love our SAN DIEGO Chargers, I wouldn't feel the same if they went somewhere else.

After the Rockets and Clippers left, I didn't care about them anymore because whatever they achieved wouldn't count for San Diego and the people who really supported them and loyally stuck behind them. And it would be the same for the Chargers in time I'm sure.

For a few seasons maybe I would care about the Chargers players passively and quietly wish them succcess because they're good people and they used to be our guys, but I'll be damned if I would ever sport San Antonio Chargers gear or whatever city they sold out to.

Bottom line, in the end I would be so pissed off at the ownership for selling out us longtime fans, I would end up losing interest in this team and secretly wishing they could rot in hell like Donald Sterling.

San Diego is a great city and deserves a great team. The Chargers belong in San Diego! Anywhere else just won't count!

Amen!

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
When Ancaster(?) gets an NFL team, you can make a choice between Ancaster and the Chargers.

As someone who grew up in the County, I have some civic pride.

Sounds like Lancaster as in a small piece of arm pit in LA County aout 35 miles up the road from where I live...yes those might Lancaster Jethawks a high A class minor league baseball team and a few strip malls, half of LA's gang members move up there to escape the other half, maybe the skunkworks, that's about it for Ancaster.

Yeah...nice living up there.

Dojo
05-21-2007, 09:38 AM
depends on where. If they move to anaheim I'll be able to go to more games so I'll be a more active fan. Even though I love San Diego, Anaheim is just closer. LA, will probably be the same as San Diego so not much would change. But if they move outside of SoCal, I refuse to support a team that is outside of my home state, so no. I'll be the number 1 lobbiest for a "bring football to LA" man.

CBO
05-21-2007, 09:39 AM
I wasn't born and raised in SD and I'm pretty sure you don't have a stronger bond to the team than me. I'm willing to bet it's just the opposite.

How do you figure? Because you have more posts?

starry
05-21-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't even live in the states so yes i would still be a fan

I don't think how you state it is necessarily the issue.

It more depends on your outlook on sport or what culture you come from. Are sports teams something with roots in the community or something you just wheel about to the highest bidder. Arguably the second approach is just likely to weaken local support. Local support is needed by teams for season tickets, merchandising, advertising etc. To enable owners to easily turn their back on all this seems more likely to weaken any sport than strengthen it. An alternative could be an owner just sells up and moves his money elsewhere if he is unhappy with a city.

Local roots and support are probably some of the reason for the success of college sports in America, and of 'soccer' in England [where I am]. The idea of someone being given a team and then just having it taken away isn't likely to inspire loyalty. In some cultures that is unlikely to really give a good image of the sport, in the same way that NFL Europe with it's lack of committment to cities has definitely tarnished the view of the sport elsewhere.

For Americans it's obvious that a percentage have got used to the idea of a franchise than having a real local team. But although people are quick to criticise cities, the present setup seems to give alot of power to the owners but not much to anyone else. With the TV money they must be getting it's not like NFL clubs don't have much money anyway. I think some restrictions on owners could actually give more strength to the NFL and other sports in America at this level.

NewBolt
05-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I live in LA and I HATE LA...let me qualify that, I live in LA County. Still this is perhaps the biggest pile of DUNG of a city and it's inhabitants for the most part are idiots, men, women, children and old people.

But it's easier to fleece these suckers than anything else.

Awesome, thanks for that! I guess I'm an idiot, I'm in L.A. You must be a transplant!! Typical transplant logic-"Everybody here is an idiot but me"!! What a tool!!!

I'm from L.A., but I want the Chargers to stay in the San Diego area. I love my trips down by train and car for the games. The only problem I run into being a Charger fan from L.A. is some of the hate! Hey, I understand the negatives of L.A. They are going to happen with this many fricking people, but I don't understand some of the pure, blind hate! Trust me it's not mutual. If you ask most people in L.A./OC about San Diego, they will pretty much respond with only positives. I love San Diego!! Don't get me wrong, I've been shown nothing but love in San Diego and at the stadium. I just wish some of the hardcore Dieogans would mellow out on the L.A. hatred!

It's all SoCal to me!! I know a lot of people like their little boundaries and county lines, it's all good.

Go Oceanside!!

ace1stunna
05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Hek yes, the bolt pride never dies, it just gets recharged baby!

Stone
05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
For me to be born and raised in SD you have a stronger bond to the team vs. someone that lives in antother city.
Those two situations are exclusive. Distance doesn't equal your bond.

Actually, I have more respect for the bond of someone who is persecuted for their passion for the Chargers because they don't live here rather than someone who gets in easy in San Diego. As a person who dealt with that for 12 years, it makes your bond with the Chargers even deeper.

Out-of-area Charger fans will agree.

Pogobyrd
05-21-2007, 10:47 AM
heres a tough question.

That is Blasphemy

CBO
05-21-2007, 11:42 AM

Actually, I have more respect for the bond of someone who is persecuted for their passion for the Chargers because they don't live here rather than someone who gets in easy in San Diego. As a person who dealt with that for 12 years, it makes your bond with the Chargers even deeper.

I guess my thing is when I was groing up the Chargers were not very good and most people in school were not charger fans so I did hear it all the time. And with me being able to go to games and watch them in person and going to watch them at Chargers Park. If they left I would not feel the same conection. As I said I would still support them but it would be different.

mudfootball9
05-21-2007, 01:12 PM

How many of those people became fans during the bad years? I would be willing to bet that the majority of the true out of town fans, not the ones that lived in SD then left, have become fans in the last 5 to 6 years.

If the Chargers left California, I say good riddence. I'm a San Diego/California Charger fan, not a San Antonio or insert other city name here __________ Charger fan. Grow up in the team's city go through the ups and downs then have them leave on you and try to tell me you wouldn't give that team a big giant screw you!

Stone
05-21-2007, 01:21 PM
How many of those people became fans during the bad years? I would be willing to bet that the majority of the true out of town fans, not the ones that lived in SD then left, have become fans in the last 5 to 6 years.
Well, all but one of my Charger years have been out of the area, and I didn't live here beforehand. I got on right after the Super Bowl run when I discovered football. That's when those out-of-towners find out about us - when we're on TV, which only comes when we play well. How else would they find us? New fans were only made in 2004, not "5-6" years ago when we won 6 games in those two years.

Hawkins1701
05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
I could still be a Charger fan, somewhat, if they stayed in Southern California.

But it still wouldn't be the same if/when they finally win it all.

I'd like them the best because no other NFL team would interest me, but I couldn't have the same level of emotional investment as before. If they won it all, it would be bittersweet knowing that it could have, and should have, happened here.

UT columnist Tim Sullivan said that he became an NFL agnostic after the Colts left Baltimore. If the Chargers at least stayed So Cal I could avoid that, but not if they left for somewhere completely different.

Honestly, if they leave, I will point the blame squarely at city hall. We've managed to lose the NBA (Rockets), the Gulls (Minor League Hockey), and the Sockers (Indoor Socker League).To be fair, lack of profitability was a major factor in losing the first two. According to Wikipedia, the soccer league voted to discontinue the Sockers after their new owner had not paid rent, the employees, or his players after buying the team in 2004. So losing these franchises is not all city hall's fault.

But it's a wonder Petco Park finally got built, after two years of delays. Does anyone think the NBA or the NHL will ever try to bring franchises here? Nothing will ever be built in place of the Sports Arena. If the city had its way, the Chargers would play in Qualcomm Stadium until it collapsed. Bruce Henderson almost single handedly stopped Petco Park from being completed after it was already in the process of being built.

Consider that Phoenix has a franchise in all the major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL). Houston had no trouble getting new parks built, and quickly, for the Astros and the Texans. So what's the deal? Why can't we do this here?
Maybe I'm not putting enough importance on the idea of the city giving the Qualcomm land to the Chargers to develop, but seeing as the team was going to assume all the other costs of building the stadium and surrounding businesses, it seemed like a fair trade to me. The city is losing millions annually on Qualcomm. Leave it to San Diego to favor that status quo.

I don't understand it, and I never will. There is a bush league atmosphere that pervades this city's politics. It seems to me that they wanted to do everything possible, just because, to not work with the Chargers. Again, I'd love to try and understand their point of view. But it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

The one point I'll grant against the Chargers is that the mid-90s expansion of Qualcomm was supposed to perpetually keep the NFL here, and keep San Diego in the Super Bowl rotation. That was indeed a load of B.S., as apparently the statute of limitations expired after two superbowls.

So I don't know. I hope, somewhere in this politically moribund county, rational heads can prevail, and something can get done to save our Bolts. If they leave, I think this city never recovers. SDSU loses Division 1. Civic pride is forever dwindled. I think that even the Padres might feel some of the loss at the box office as well. One would think that being the only pony in town would benefit them, but when pride in the town is so horribly undermined, one wonders if there won't be a trickle over effect of sports apathy. Then again, the Dodgers and Angels have done fine without the NFL being nearby, but neither the Rams nor the Raiders had the 40 year connection to their city that the Chargers have to us.

I just pray that it won't come to that. I really do.

Stone
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Excellent first post, Hawkins. But...
SDSU loses Division 1.
It's not like they're worth it right now.

charger1_sj
05-21-2007, 01:27 PM
What bonds you the the Chargers? Is it the uniform, LT, Merriman? The way they play, the fans? What makes you like the Chargers? If the team name, colors, players changed would you still be a Charger fan? What if the team suddenly started to lose?

My answer to the question is a qualified no. If they move away from SD I'll still be a Charger fan so long as the identity of the current roster is there, out of respect for the current players. After that I'll lose interest.
The team belongs in San Diego. It's the legacy, the tradition and for me the bond. Lose that and the identity with the team is gone.

Hawkins1701
05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Excellent first post, Hawkins. But...

It's not like they're worth it right now.

Yeah, I figured someone would mention that. :) Certainly can't argue that point. But I'd rather SDSU get to stay Division 1 and try to turn things around then have to go to Division 2.

Granted, that's just the icing on the terrible cake. And State has been so bad for so long that one does indeed wonder if they can ever turn it around, what with USC and UCLA being so nearby for recruiting. I hear the weather is getting a little colder down in hell lately........

But State always has good players going to the NFL, so it's weird how they've managed to be so bad.

But anyhoo. I want the Chargers to stay. That's the main point of it all. :)

Stone
05-21-2007, 01:50 PM
And State has been so bad for so long that one does indeed wonder if they can ever turn it around, what with USC and UCLA being so nearby for recruiting. I hear the weather is getting a little colder down in hell lately........
And that's the piss poor part of it! This school had the opportunity to build itself the way that other Pac 10 and WAC teams have - get the guys who are just under USC-UCLA-Cal level, show them that they can come here and get starting player time as an underclassmen rather than wait until junior year over there, and make a team that can compete for alright bowl games every 3 or 4 years. But they go and hire Chuck Long instea of trying to bring in an assistant for USC or UCLA that knows the area and can build SDSU around the techniques those other schools used.

And they wonder why I'm a Hurricane even though I go to school there...

BoltFanBo
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
YES and NO.
First of I don't like the fact that the Chargers brass maybe seeing all these yes comments and think that there support would still be strong if they left. With that being said If they moved I would immediately be pissed and not follow. This is the San Diego Chargers. Being a 41 year old native this means a lot. Hey just becuase our F'd up city government can't get their sheeet together dosen't mean the true SAN DIEGO fans don't care about their team. Growing up in SD the Bolts have been a part of my life. I've had so many disappointments with SD sports teams. Any true native SD sports fan has. But I've backed them when it was hard to be supportive.

I'd probably come around if they were in OC but it would now way be they same, I would not throw all my support for them. If they moved to LA or somewhere else It would be even less. I would probably just become more of a Fantasy Football nut and follow football without any true all alliance.

NOTE TO SPANOS: On behalf of True SD Sports fans if you somehow make this work dispite the lack of spport from our messed up local governtment you would be a great man. You'd be prasied by me, a fan who could share his love for football and the team he grew up supporting with his son(currently 2) at a SAN DIEGO CHRGERS HOME GAME.

boltzman3
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
the familiarity of the san diego chargers is strong.i'm a CHARGER fan first.san diego second....love to see the things in san diego and the great resturants..but i go to see the CHARGERS not the zoo or water world.although the san antonio chargers just doesn't sound right.. but where ever they move or not i am a CHARGER fan first san diego second..LAKERS moved from michigan to L.A. bet many of them remained LAKER fans.soumds like many here are more san diego fans first and the charger fan second.if i lived in san diego i'd probably po'ed if the team moved.but I'd be even more po'ed at the people responsible for electing the anti charger park loving liberals.you got what you wanted in your local government don't cry about it now that they've the lived up to their political ideaology.. you can always go down to the new park and hug a tree or something..heres to the CHARGERS staying in san diego.

Stone
05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
^Minneapolis Lakers. Minnesota. Land of 10,000 lakes...

EDIT: But technically you're right because according to Wikipedia they moved from Detriot to Minneapolis in 1946.

Bo1TZ
05-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Charger fan from Hawaii never been to San Diego. I'd stay on ship no matter where they go. I'd be juiced beyond belief if they did move to Hawaii... Hawaii Chargers. How does that sound?

BoltFanBo
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
if i lived in san diego i'd probably po'ed if the team moved.but I'd be even more po'ed at the people responsible for electing the anti charger park loving liberals.you got what you wanted in your local government don't cry about it now that they've the lived up to their political ideaology.. you can always go down to the new park and hug a tree or something..heres to the CHARGERS staying in san diego.

Don't lump true SD sports fans with the idioitc short minded people who have moved here and no love for the local SD sports or locals just longing for the days when SD was a small Navy town. I know SD is a big city and want it to be the best big city there is. You're right I love it here. I grew up here. I don't want to leave. If you can afford it why would anyone leave. But, part of makes what SD great is the Chargers. When I was a kid I remember Charger players coming to our Pop Warner booster events that was huge. Stuff like that is why they are a part of SD.

I get so frusted at Aguire and Frye and all the other short mined officials I can scream. So don't lump me in with that crowd. I didn't vote for them.
I am a die hard Bolt fan. But It's still OK to be a SAN DIEGO CHARGER FAN..........

mudfootball9
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Charger fan from Hawaii never been to San Diego. I'd stay on ship no matter where they go. I'd be juiced beyond belief if they did move to Hawaii... Hawaii Chargers. How does that sound?

What if they became the San Antonio Gunslingers? Would still be a fan?

charger1_sj
05-21-2007, 04:29 PM
the familiarity of the san diego chargers is strong.i'm a CHARGER fan first.san diego second....love to see the things in san diego and the great resturants..but i go to see the CHARGERS not the zoo or water world.although the san antonio chargers just doesn't sound right.. but where ever they move or not i am a CHARGER fan first san diego second..LAKERS moved from michigan to L.A. bet many of them remained LAKER fans.soumds like many here are more san diego fans first and the charger fan second.if i lived in san diego i'd probably po'ed if the team moved.but I'd be even more po'ed at the people responsible for electing the anti charger park loving liberals.you got what you wanted in your local government don't cry about it now that they've the lived up to their political ideaology.. you can always go down to the new park and hug a tree or something..heres to the CHARGERS staying in san diego.

While it's great that you support your team wherever they may move to, native San Diegan's or those who grew up and identify with the San Diego Chargers may not follow your lead. It doesn't make them any less fans of the San Diego Chargers. Many of us have had an alligence to this team since the 1960's. It won't be the same if god forbid they move to LA, San Antonio or some other place. We are fans of the San Diego Chargers. Not the xxxxxxxx Chargers. We'll follow this team for a while I'm sure but it just will not be the same. We're not fans of the city of San Diego first. We are San Diego Charger fans first. You cannot seperate the identity. When the Baltimore Colts left town I'm sure some Baltimore fans still followed them. But ask them now who their team is. The term "Colts" is a dirty word in Baltimore for football fans there.

bigslick
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
My loyalty is with the city of San Diego. Padres, Chargers, Aztecs....but they have to have the "San Diego" preceeding.

I do not bandwagon on other cities teams.

Great point. If San Diego lost the Chargers and was somehow able to get a different team somtime in the near future, which would you root for?

Do St Louis fans still root for the Cardinals instead of the Rams?

Do Baltimore fans still root for the Colts or the Ravens?

Does a true Cleveland fan root for the Browns or the Ravens?

Are Houston fans still rooting for the Titans?

Stone
05-21-2007, 07:42 PM
It all depends on how those teams left town.

If I were from Baltimore, I would never cheer for the Colts based on the actions of their management. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts#Relocation_to_Indianapolis) And if I were from Cleveland, I'd be livid with the Ravens after what Modell did to them. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns#1991-95:_Bill_Belichick_and_Modell.27s_move)

bigslick
05-21-2007, 07:45 PM

If I were from Baltimore, I would never cheer for the Colts based on the actions of their management. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Colts#Relocation_to_Indianapolis) And if I were from Cleveland, I'd be livid with the Ravens after what Modell did to them. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Browns#1991-95:_Bill_Belichick_and_Modell.27s_move)
If Team Spanos leaves in the next few years for a new stadium, how is it different than Modell or Irsay or Bud Adams or Georgia Frontiere or Bidwell?

ftwbolt
05-21-2007, 07:49 PM
The topic has been discussed on hundreds of posts for the past 3 years. THE CITY OF SAN DIEGO CANNOT GIVE THE QUALCOMM LAND TO THE CHARGERS. The water department actually owns it and it has been pledged as collateral for the pension fund.

They really can't even sell it for the same reasons. The Chargers (and several development partners) figured this out in 2005. That is why it has been a dead issue.

If you have another 100+ acre site in the CITY OF SAN DIEGO that might work, please call Mark Fabiani and Jerry Sanders.

If you want to blame the City Councils of the late 1990's and early 2000's because they borrowed too much money and gave away too many benefits, go ahead. Sanders and the current council have their hands tied.

Well that answer's my question ! The Bolts can't have the land because it obvious that every Street and Avenue has been traveled down and explored.
And since it seems there is no 100 + acres in the SD county area, it also appears that another Franchise will have to go through same process. So the idea of another team coming in and taking the Chargers place doesn't make any sense. Sounds like a pipe dream.

Stone
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
If Team Spanos leaves in the next few years for a new stadium, how is it different than Modell or Irsay or Bud Adams or Georgia Frontiere or Bidwell?
In my two examples, the franchises outright lied to the fans as they left. Now, I can't say that the Chargers were 100% truthful at the beginning of this process, but in the last 2 years I don't feel I've been lied to. The Chargers have told the public what they are doing to resolve the situation, spent more money than they ever had to spend just to make committies to reseach potential sites, and participated in forums and radio to give the public a chance to respond directly. That, for me, is the difference.

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 07:59 PM

Knowing how the Spanoses have treated Chargers fans over the last 20+ season, don't expect that the "goodwill" of the last few years to "ERASE" all the bad blood of the last 23...the Spanos name is not exactly synonimous with love and affection.

Lets just say they could win the SB and I would erase the part where Dean and Alex place their grubby mits on MY lombardi throphy. Just like seeing Georgia Frontiere/Art Modell touching the vince lombardi throphy, sheer nightmare!

Stan_The_Man_12
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
Well that answer's my question ! The Bolts can't have the land because it obvious that every Street and Avenue has been traveled down and explored.
And since it seems there is no 100 + acres in the SD county area, it also appears that another Franchise will have to go through same process. So the idea of another team coming in and taking the Chargers place doesn't make any sense. Sounds like a pipe dream.

Yet it's hard to explain the dichotomy of feeling but if it will keep the Chargers flag planted in SD for generations to come, I'd give them the building rights in exchange for a lifetime rent on the land and exclusive city rights to the team history and team colors.

In the event that team Spanose would ever find a loophole or ever consider moving, the team name, history and colors of the franchise would never, ever belong to anybody but SAN DIEGO!

SDBoltsGirl
05-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I can't say anything but yes. I've been a fan my entire life and can't imagine rooting for any other team. I'm not a fan because they're in San Diego.

SDynasty
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM

it will be more involved for me than that. it will depend on how and why they leave and how they leave and what the court of public opinion says here locally will say alot about how I feel about the ownership and determine if I follow them after they leave.

Soul Assassin
05-21-2007, 09:28 PM
I would remain a fan until I die!!!!!! There is no other team in the nfl worth loving other than the Chargers. All you who voted no are a bunch of byatches!!!!

Colsrob
05-21-2007, 09:36 PM

Irsay just plain lied to the city and the public and then crawled out in the middle of the night. Not real professional of them and showed no respect for their long time fans. Its just too bad that they managed to win the SB in their new location. At least Baltimore fans got a SB ring with their new team too, so things appear to even out in the end.

All Modell did was ask for a new stadium(just like several other teams in the league, at the time and since). The city and public said no and then cried when they left and built a new stadium for some other team to come in and start all over with. Modell may have done some things for the people to dislike him, but this should not be one of them. They got exactly what they deserved, a second rate team for years, while the Ravens went on to win the SB. I call that ironic justice.

mudfootball9
05-21-2007, 11:05 PM
I would remain a fan until I die!!!!!! There is no other team in the nfl worth loving other than the Chargers. All you who voted no are a bunch of byatches!!!!

Did you grow up in San Diego and start watching the Chargers when you were 6?

TurnerThaBurner
05-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Side note: For all you 'fan till the day I die' fans in SD w/ Bolt tattoos on your arm/back/ass... good luck getting them removed after feeling betrayed if the Bolts had to leave SD. If you don't intend on removing them, then you should feel pretty silly having that permanent 'scar' remain on your body.

CBO
05-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Side note: For all you 'fan till the day I die' fans in SD w/ Bolt tattoos on your arm/back/ass... good luck getting them removed after feeling betrayed if the Bolts had to leave SD. If you don't intend on removing them, then you should feel pretty silly having that permanent 'scar' remain on your body.

Thats why I am waiting till the stadium gets started.

Draako
05-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Since leaving the SD area when I joined hte Army, Rooting for the chargers has been a way for me to stay connected with my home town. If they leave I'll have to find a new team I think.

TheBoyBolt
05-22-2007, 06:24 PM

I don't have one yet but I intend to eventually. I don't believe I'll ever regret it because I for one would not feel betrayed if they left the city, state, etc. I am a Chargers fan because I love the entire organization, not because they are local. Sure, that's why I started to be a Chargers fan; I grew up around it. However, I have since graduated to a new level of appreciation and loyalty towards my Chargers that I believe will last a life time.

mccharger
05-22-2007, 06:31 PM
I don't have one yet but I intend to eventually. I don't believe I'll ever regret it because I for one would not feel betrayed if they left the city, state, etc. I am a Chargers fan because I love the entire organization, not because they are local. Sure, that's why I started to be a Chargers fan; I grew up around it. However, I have since graduated to a new level of appreciation and loyalty towards my Chargers that I believe will last a life time.I hope I feel the same way but Im not sure if I could. I dont think I will know how I feel until it happens. I know I will be devastated thats for sure. Lets hope it never comes to that. Maybe we can make donations to help the city out. Ill pitch in a couple hundred...:D

GoMathews
05-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Since leaving the SD area when I joined hte Army, Rooting for the chargers has been a way for me to stay connected with my home town. If they leave I'll have to find a new team I think.

I know exactly what you mean. Please let something work out to keep the Chargers in San Diego County. If I had to I would be willing to accept them anywhere in Southern California.

Chargeraven
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd still be a fan of the team anywhere, would never cheer for another team

High hopes for staying in SD 'cuz I'm hopin to make it to my first home game this year

Texas lightning
05-23-2007, 02:21 PM
probally for the love of the original crew but not sure how long that would last but my bolt tat is on there for life so I GUESS I have to keep some loyalty

weddle4life
05-23-2007, 03:11 PM
u no what that was not funny.....u dont even deserve to be a charger fan.........dont ever say somthing like this again

Dan40
05-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Chargers, Europe, Antarctica, Mars, forever.

RAWDOGG
05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
It's pretty disheartening and sad to see that after 121 posts 27 people would not be Charger fans if they left the county

What if they moved 45 minutes north to Riverside County? Still abandoning ship?

I guess I am just sicker than 27 other people on this board

drangus
05-23-2007, 03:48 PM

how unfortunate

EGClutch
05-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Yep, I'll always be a Charger fan regardless of where they are, even if it means them moving away and us getting another team in the future (which I hope is never the case). I think it's pretty stupid to stop rooting for a team just because they're no longer a part of the area in which you live in or where you're from. But yes, Chargers forever!

charger1_sj
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
It's pretty disheartening and sad to see that after 121 posts 27 people would not be Charger fans if they left the county

What if they moved 45 minutes north to Riverside County? Still abandoning ship?

I guess I am just sicker than 27 other people on this board

Raw, as I have stated before: I appaud all the Charger fans that are loyal to this club. But some of us grew up with the San Diego Chargers. It's in our blood. I don't expect you to understand. It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Remove one ingredient and you don't have the same thing. I like peanut butter and will still like it after removing the jelly. But it's not the same. Should the San Diego Chargers god forbid become the LA Chargers I'll eventually lose interest. In the days that my allegence was forged San Diego was a vastly different place and culture than LA. LA was the enemy. Even Orange County was considered LA in those days. They didn't have an identity.

So even though I don't expect you to understand I do expect you to accept us San Diego Charger fans, because nothing else will do.

weddle4life
05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
i will always be chargers fan.......YAY chargers woooohoooo

byteme202
05-23-2007, 06:11 PM
DieHard bolt fan here no matter wherever they go!!! looks like a lot of bandwagoneers just showed their true colors in this thread... Bunch of Benedict Arnolds! why not just jump ship now.:D

byteme202
05-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I hope I feel the same way but Im not sure if I could. I dont think I will know how I feel until it happens. I know I will be devastated thats for sure. Lets hope it never comes to that. Maybe we can make donations to help the city out. Ill pitch in a couple hundred...:DNot sure?? oh McC you surprise me...

boltsfan629
05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I'd be a fan. I'd still watch them every Sunday and everything. However, the feel of it would be somewhat different. Say they won the Lombardi after they left town...that would be a totally different feel to it because the title would not be a part of San Diego or this city's history...and there are many Bolts fans here who have been waiting a lifetime to finally have a major pro sports championship team here. Here's to hoping O'side or Chula Vista comes through.

RAWDOGG
05-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Raw, as I have stated before: I appaud all the Charger fans that are loyal to this club. But some of us grew up with the San Diego Chargers. It's in our blood. I don't expect you to understand. It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Remove one ingredient and you don't have the same thing. I like peanut butter and will still like it after removing the jelly. But it's not the same. Should the San Diego Chargers god forbid become the LA Chargers I'll eventually lose interest. In the days that my allegence was forged San Diego was a vastly different place and culture than LA. LA was the enemy. Even Orange County was considered LA in those days. They didn't have an identity.

So even though I don't expect you to understand I do expect you to accept us San Diego Charger fans, because nothing else will do.

Your preaching to the Choir, I was born and raised in Vista.........

I am a third generation Charger season ticket holder, I was born into the Chargers

I am a Charger fan through and through, I will support them anywhere they go, IF they go :Beer:

I gave been attending Charger games for 25+ years :LightsOut:

BORNINSD1964
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
DieHard bolt fan here no matter wherever they go!!! looks like a lot of bandwagoneers just showed their true colors in this thread... Bunch of Benedict Arnolds! why not just jump ship now.:D

Staying loyal to San Diego and refusing to wear the gear of a future Chargers team representing another city doesn't make anyone a bandwagoner or Benedict Arnold.

I can understand how Chargers' fans from outside of San Diego could deal with the change, but for many of us, it's a question of loyalty to our hometown or birthplace. Why the hell should we support the team after they screw us over like the Rockets and Clippers did and left town? I sure wouldn't. I guess I'd have to be content with remembering all the great times and games that were had when they were San Diego's team, our team.

The Chargers give the great city of San Diego its only 'real' chance for a World Championship. If they leave, there goes our hopes of ever seeing a San Diego World Championship, which many of us have been waiting decades for. If the Chargers don't win the Superbowl for San Diego, it just won't matter to some of us. We're San Diego Chargers fans and proud of it.

Okay, now you guys can go back to cheering for whoever is in first place in whatever sport you follow. Have fun cheering for your favorite currently winning flavor of the week squad! Fleas!!!:LightsOut:

:Helmet: ONLY A SAN DIEGO CHAMPIONSHIP IS GOOD ENOUGH!:Helmet:

mrcwalk619
05-23-2007, 11:39 PM
exactly... just ask the people in baltimore...

giant squid
05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
I get asked this question way too much. It's a bummer.

charger1_sj
05-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Your preaching to the Choir, I was born and raised in Vista.........

I am a third generation Charger season ticket holder, I was born into the Chargers

I am a Charger fan through and through, I will support them anywhere they go, IF they go :Beer:

I gave been attending Charger games for 25+ years :LightsOut:

I understand your allegence to the Chargers. But I have to wonder if they moved to San Antonio, change the Charger name to the Tumble weeds or something would you still be a fan? I could see if they moved to OC or LA but out of state, I don't know. I would continue to follow this team until the core players are gone. But it would be pretty difficult to identify with a team from Texas. And if a another team ends up in San Diego it would be an easy choice for me. The problem I have is that San Diego is home. Even though I no longer live there. I'll always support my home team. I guess that's what you call a true homer.

StevenSD
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
I was born and raised in Orlando, FL, moved out here in 2000, and I have been a fan since. If they move somewhere else, it will be hard to get rid of my tat, my alligence is with this franchise till I die, simple as that.

RAWDOGG
05-24-2007, 11:58 AM
I understand your allegence to the Chargers. But I have to wonder if they moved to San Antonio, change the Charger name to the Tumble weeds or something would you still be a fan? I could see if they moved to OC or LA but out of state, I don't know. I would continue to follow this team until the core players are gone. But it would be pretty difficult to identify with a team from Texas. And if a another team ends up in San Diego it would be an easy choice for me. The problem I have is that San Diego is home. Even though I no longer live there. I'll always support my home team. I guess that's what you call a true homer.

SO you have no problem dumping players, coaches, etc.... just because they renamed themselves (which rarely happens) and moved to another city, in Cali or not.......

Then I don't expect you to understand my feeling for this franchise

charger1_sj
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
SO you have no problem dumping players, coaches, etc.... just because they renamed themselves (which rarely happens) and moved to another city, in Cali or not.......

Then I don't expect you to understand my feeling for this franchise

I never said that. In fact I respect all former Charger players. Unlike some people.

I understand your position. It's not out of line. On the contrary there are some (perhaps not you) who don't understand a San Diego fan position. You shouldn't be surprised that some SD fans won't follow the team if they indeed move out of SD county. It is the postion of a lot of fans to cheer for their home town team. Circumstances do differ and if the Chargers left in good terms (not pulling moving vans in the middle of the night) I'm sure that a good many SD fans will remain Charger fans. But for me in the long run I won't back a team that was part of the San Diego fabric for so many years should they leave. We just differ in our views of why we become fans of a particular team.

LarryAW
05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
The Chargers are making a good-faith effort to get a stadium here. That's totally different from packing up and moving away in the middle of the night. I will remain a Chargers' fan if they leave. After rooting for the Chargers for 37 years, I can't imagine rooting for another team.

Waylon138
05-24-2007, 12:34 PM
The Chargers are making a good-faith effort to get a stadium here. That's totally different from packing up and moving away in the middle of the night. I will remain a Chargers' fan if they leave. After rooting for the Chargers for 37 years, I can't imagine rooting for another team.

No doubt....if the deal doesn't get done it is San Diego's fault....not the Bolts.....The Chargers have done everything in their power to stay in SD County.

TouchTed
05-24-2007, 04:23 PM
If they go up to Anaheim, then definately a yes... otherwise probably yes and see how it works out

spysnipedis
05-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Of course! I would hope that IF they do move, they will still show the games here. Since I probably won't be able to go to the games anymore if they do move out of the county.

BlackwaterNYC
05-25-2007, 07:11 AM
I've been a long distance fan for years (from NYC), but a non southern california Chargers feel a little funny. Kinda like a three-legged dog. Still gotta love em.