PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the name "Chargers."

SDynasty
05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
I just heard the name "Chargers" originated from Mr. Hilton because he was in the credit card business.

Can someone verify this. Many have said it was taken after the horse, a charger, but just heard that was not so.

interesting.....:Bolt:

Bubba86
05-23-2007, 02:56 PM
ya thats what ive heard that its from

LA Chargers '07
05-23-2007, 02:58 PM
ya' it's true.

Bolt Cola
05-23-2007, 03:02 PM
im listening to XX radio right now too...its between Baron Hilton, the horse named Charger, and an LA Times contest for a name for the team

Dan40
05-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Oct. 28 Gerald Courtney of Hollywood wins expenses-paid trip to Mexico City and Acapulco for submitting "Chargers" in name-the-team contest.

http://www.chargers.com/history/chronology/

How the Chargers got their name

Barron Hilton, the hotel magnate, organized the team to start in the AFL in 1960 in Los Angeles. Fans were asked to submit names. The club's nickname was submitted by Gerald Courtney of Hollywood. Hilton selected 'Chargers' in part because it coincided with the arrival of the new Carte Blanche charge card. [Ref: Total Football].

Another view from Les Land:
For background purposes I was the first Business Manager of the Chargers
- from inception -1960 thru their 1963 Championship season.

As regards the selection of the name, my recollection and understanding is that Barron Hilton selected it because he liked the USC cheer of "CHARGE", and was influenced to some extent by his friend Tom Eddy, who was a graduate of USC; Tom was Barron's front and leg-man during the early formative years. I have never heard Barron indicate that the name was derived because of the credit card name "Carte Blanche".

Barron Hilton was named to the Chargers Hall of Fame in 1980.

charg·er n. A large shallow dish; a platter. Used under the first course at formal dinners, then removed along with the first course dish before the next course is served.

http://www.chargers-stats.com/notes.html

All three. Isn't it interesting how this stuff usually plays out.

Davidgtza2
05-23-2007, 03:41 PM
i thought it was just the horse and wondered how the whole Bolt thing had anything to do with it

Bambi19
05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I just heard the name "Chargers" originated from Mr. Hilton because he was in the credit card business.

Can someone verify this. Many have said it was taken after the horse, a charger, but just heard that was not so.

interesting.....:Bolt:
The "Credit Card" story is a silly urban legend.

The story about Barron Hilton picking the "Chargers" name because of the sound of bugles and fans yelling "CHARGE!" along with a fan winning a "Name the Team" newspaper contest are true.

Per the Chargers Official Website, History Section: Gerald Courtney of Hollywood won a expenses-paid trip to Mexico City and Acapulco for submitting "Chargers" in name-the-team contest.

http://chargers.com/history/chronology/

For more, you MUST read these great books about the history of the Chargers:

"Charging Through the AFL: Los Angeles and San Diego Chargers' Football in the 1960s" by Todd Tobias

"Bombs Away! Air Coryell and the San Diego Chargers" by Todd Tobias

"Sid Brooks' Tales from the San Diego Chargers Locker Room" by Sid Brooks (Ex Chargers Equipment Manager)

Dan40
05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
The "Credit Card" story is a silly urban legend.

The story about Barron Hilton picking the "Chargers" name because of the sound of bugles and fans yelling "CHARGE!" along with a fan winning a "Name the Team" newspaper contest are true.

Per the Chargers Official Website, History Section: Gerald Courtney of Hollywood won a expenses-paid trip to Mexico City and Acapulco for submitting "Chargers" in name-the-team contest.

http://chargers.com/history/chronology/

For more, you MUST read these great books about the history of the Chargers:

"Charging Through the AFL: Los Angeles and San Diego Chargers' Football in the 1960s" by Todd Tobias

"Bombs Away! Air Coryell and the San Diego Chargers" by Todd Tobias

"Sid Brooks' Tales from the San Diego Chargers Locker Room" by Sid Brooks (Ex Chargers Equipment Manager)
It's not a silly urban legend.

You can add First Down and a Billion by Gene Klein to the list. He said it's true, and he bought the team from the Hiltons.

And read the quote from Les Land in my post above.

Boltman19
05-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Funny that with all the USC haters on this board, it was a USC grad who helped come up with the name.

weddle4life
05-23-2007, 04:17 PM
wow great thread................NOT

Toad
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Funny that with all the USC haters on this board, it was a USC grad who helped come up with the name.

It's not hard to believe that in addition to the contest, Hilton had a fondness for the Trojans, and that fondness played a part in the name selection. After all, USC's mascot is a white horse named.......Charger!

What's the problem....? :Beer:

Edit: Oops! The name would be Traveler!

Just be happy that he wasn't really fond of Whittier College or Pomona College...:D

Waylon138
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM

I haven't noticed too many USC haters on this board....I find it to be the opposite (tons of USC supporters).

drangus
05-23-2007, 04:30 PM
I haven't noticed too many USC haters on this board....I find it to be the opposite (tons of USC supporters).

you can count me as one of those too

Boltman19
05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Believe me, they are here. Especially after that little UCLA debacle.

NewBolt
05-23-2007, 04:34 PM
I had always heard the USC angle on the reason for the name.

LT LT LT
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM

Let's go Irish!! Charlie will lead us to the promise land.

Boltman19
05-23-2007, 04:36 PM
lol, weis and the emu

NewBolt
05-23-2007, 04:43 PM
Let's go Irish!! Charlie will lead us to the promise land.

0-9 in the last nine Bowl games....nice!

cromart31
05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
it makes the source more obscure since the team has used the horse and the lightning bolt (two unrelated entities related to the word "charger') at times in the logo.

Bambi19
05-23-2007, 05:11 PM

You can add First Down and a Billion by Gene Klein to the list. He said it's true, and he bought the team from the Hiltons.

The "Credit Card" story is a urban legend...a fatuous one at that!

I believe you misread my previous post as I stated that Barron Hilton chose the name "Chargers" having liked the sound of bugles blaring and fans yelling "CHARGE!"; along with a fan submitting the name "Chargers" to win a newspaper contest to name the new LA football team.

Thanks for the book suggestion...I'll have to order that book.

EGClutch
05-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe the name came from Hilton saying "Charge Her!" as a hot girl walked by him while he was trying to think of what to call the football team.

netsroc123
05-23-2007, 05:45 PM
haha, thats hilarious. we're called the chargers because of a new credit card

Dan40
05-23-2007, 07:17 PM
The "Credit Card" story is a urban legend...a fatuous one at that!

I believe you misread my previous post as I stated that Barron Hilton chose the name "Chargers" having liked the sound of bugles blaring and fans yelling "CHARGE!"; along with a fan submitting the name "Chargers" to win a newspaper contest to name the new LA football team.

Thanks for the book suggestion...I'll have to order that book.
I just realized I misread Les Land's statement from my own post. Now, all I have left is that Total Football encyclopedia cite and my reference from Gene Klein who said it was true.

Sorry about that, but I still think there's so truth to it, unless you can provide a link otherwise.

I also believe in my previous post these were also true. There can be more than one reason to make a marketing decision. I believe all three happened.

dan_of_nlv
05-23-2007, 07:25 PM
from now on' everytime i use my credit card i will think of my team history'..that will put a smile on my face.

SDynasty
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM
It would be nice to know the answer instead of this urban legend of 3 different stories what is the real answer?

Stone
05-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Believe me, they are here. Especially after that little UCLA debacle.
There were plenty of USC and UCLA fans, only the UCLA ones kept quiet until the Bruins hit the upset special. Then they started bringing all their logos out and claiming Westwood even though I hadn't seen a thing out of them.

So you are both right.

crixus
05-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Even if it came later, the Horse origin has a much better sound to it, than a freakin' credit card.

TurnerThaBurner
05-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Eventually, the horse had a lot to do w/ the team's name due to the fact that the original logo had a HORSE on the front of it. Unless ol' Barron used to do a lot of betting at the racetrack w/ those credit cards :rolleyes: Don't the fans in the stands there also yell "CHARGE?"

Chargeroo
05-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Nickname:
Barron Hilton agreed after his general manager, Frank Ready picked the Chargers name when he purchased an AFL franchise for Los Angeles. “I liked it because they were yelling ‘charge’ and sounding the bugle at Dodgers Stadium and at USC games.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/sandiego/chargers.html

Hamburglar
05-23-2007, 11:43 PM
i prefer the large dish platter.....

WonderSlug
05-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Maybe someone (JoelBolt?) should ask Paris Hilton's granddaddy, after he visits her in the joint.

Then they'd get the origin of the name straight from the horse's mouth (ahem).

mastaflan
05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Between USC and UCLA I lean towards USC. I went to UCSB so I can't really hate anyone in Cali. (However I am a little bitter that UCLA rejected me) I usually root for Cali teams against out of staters. But I find myself cheering for the Trojans when going against the Bruins.

mtxsound
05-24-2007, 12:27 AM
[quote=WonderSlug]Maybe someone (JoelBolt?) should ask Paris Hilton's granddaddy, after he visits her in the joint.

Fortunately the Chargers have next to nothing to do with the Hilton's at this point. Barron Hilton was instrumental in the Chargers, BUT, Paris decided to use her money........

The Chargers we know have no ties at all to the Hilton family....

Rivers_owns
05-24-2007, 12:33 AM

Gosh, you're very critical.

mrcwalk619
05-24-2007, 12:37 AM
The Chargers we know have no ties at all to the Hilton family....

maybe we should consider that and have them build us a new stadium...

drangus
05-24-2007, 12:51 AM
Maybe someone (JoelBolt?) should ask Paris Hilton's granddaddy, after he visits her in the joint.

Then they'd get the origin of the name straight from the horse's mouth (ahem).

speaking of paris, she kinda makes me feel like I wish the hiltons still owned the team:LightsOut:

ChargerBooster
05-24-2007, 02:19 AM
One thing that has not yet been said, is that they were sounding the cheer "Charge!" after the bugle intro, at the L.A. Rams professional Football games at the Colosseum for about two years prior to the Chargers and the A.F.L.'s inception.

And it is my specific recollection that the name came from that cheer and the naming contest (which I was sorry I didn't win). Those were the reasons, and Mr. Hilton only got a chuckle out of the coincidental double-meaning for one of his other business ventures he was involved in...if I remember correctly, credit cards were still a fairly new business venture for financiers and banks, at least in resemblance to their present form.

The cheer "Charge!" was rampant at all the early Chargers games, heard over-and-over again, whereas it was more of a trendy novelty at the Rams games. People thought it was funny...cute...and got into it.

I was at the first Charger game ever...and every home game for the entire first Season and the cheer "Charge" was a constant at all of the games, and it was specifically meant to cheer on the home Team...the Chargers.

crazeone
05-24-2007, 02:40 AM
One thing that has not yet been said, is that they were sounding the cheer "Charge!" after the bugle intro, at the L.A. Rams professional Football games at the Colosseum for about two years prior to the Chargers and the A.F.L.'s inception.

And it is my specific recollection that the name came from that cheer and the naming contest (which I was sorry I didn't win). Those were the reasons, and Mr. Hilton only got a chuckle out of the coincidental double-meaning for one of his other business ventures he was involved in...if I remember correctly, credit cards were still a fairly new business venture for financiers and banks, at least in resemblance to their present form.

The cheer "Charge!" was rampant at all the early Chargers games, heard over-and-over again, whereas it was more of a trendy novelty at the Rams games. People thought it was funny...cute...and got into it.

I was at the first Charger game ever...and every home game for the entire first Season and the cheer "Charge" was a constant at all of the games, and it was specifically meant to cheer on the home Team...the Chargers.

very cool post... thank you for that important piece of Charger history. I've been reading 'Gene Kleins 1st Down and a Billion', does anyone know of any book which would give an historical information pre-Klein?

GO CHARGERS:Helmet:

SDynasty858
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM

haha. atleast he can make threads. dont worry. 4 more stupid posts and you will be able to too.

rule12b
05-24-2007, 01:05 PM
A "charger" was also a heavily amored medieval war horse that bore a knight into battle.

Waylon138
05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
A "charger" was also a heavily amored medieval war horse that bore a knight into battle.

No way....really?

http://www.chargertom.com/horselogo6sm.gifhttp://www.chargertom.com/HorseShieldsm.gifhttp://www.chargertom.com/Horsesm.gif

SDDeuce
05-24-2007, 05:31 PM
I heard that XX radio show too and was surprised that our hometown station didn't know how the Bolts got it's name. I never heard that story about Hilton. I do know that the Bolts got it's name from a contest and the winner got a trip to someplace...someone already posted it.

TouchTed
05-24-2007, 05:41 PM
Between USC and UCLA I lean towards USC. I went to UCSB so I can't really hate anyone in Cali. (However I am a little bitter that UCLA rejected me) I usually root for Cali teams against out of staters. But I find myself cheering for the Trojans when going against the Bruins.

Gouchos!!!!

TouchTed
05-24-2007, 05:46 PM

What name did you submit?

hankster
05-24-2007, 08:10 PM

You are definitely a hard core Charger fan. My hat's off to you, Dan.

weddle4life
05-24-2007, 09:57 PM
haha. atleast he can make threads. dont worry. 4 more stupid posts and you will be able to too.hey at least i have a life and i am not all bundled up at home on my computer still liveing with my mom

BlackwaterNYC
05-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Chargers is a strong name. But it does make me wonder if a San Diego football team would be named today, and keeping with the thinking that since San Diego has a unique culture and climate, perhaps the name should reflect that culture. Humm. What would i name a San Diego football team? The Party Boats. Maybe the Long Boards. Now i'm just a couple posts away from Threading.

TheCharge
05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks weddle4life. We can now add you to the Cancerous Charger Fan list. Best wishes.

---Staff

Chargeroo
05-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Chargers is a strong name. But it does make me wonder if a San Diego football team would be named today, and keeping with the thinking that since San Diego has a unique culture and climate, perhaps the name should reflect that culture. Humm. What would i name a San Diego football team? The Party Boats. Maybe the Long Boards. Now i'm just a couple posts away from Threading. Funny! I'm thinking the Burritos. mmmmmmm

I didn't get to be a 250 lb. guy by not thinking about good food. :)

Stone
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Gouchos!!!!
If you're going to cheer for the team in my former city, you probably want to cheer for the right team - the Gauchos.

TouchTed
05-25-2007, 11:38 AM
If you're going to cheer for the team in my former city, you probably want to cheer for the right team - the Gauchos.
my bad... my fingers were going to fast when I saw another Gaucho on here.... didn't even notice the typo

TheCharge
05-25-2007, 04:50 PM

Stone, your Sig picture is creeping me out. Are suggesting that LT is Christ? Don't get me wrong, I love him too, but I don't pray to LT before I eat a taco.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h193/mrstone2117/sig6copy.jpg

Stone
05-25-2007, 07:07 PM
It was for Easter, but I haven't made a sig since. So I haven't replaced it yet. I'm making a new one next week, though.

LT is not God. Heaven sent, yes, but certainly not God.

And it's all cool, Teddy. Are you from SB, or did you just go there?

Leo
05-25-2007, 08:31 PM
The only reason I remember your sig Stone is because of how you used to have the word "Quadrinity" in there. That's my word that I made up one day at lunch!!! Yeah, that made me chuckle....

Still an insanely great sig though, imho.

SDynasty
05-25-2007, 08:36 PM
hey at least i have a life and i am not all bundled up at home on my computer still liveing with my mom

has anyone seen a post from this poster that wasnt a downer laced with anger and tension?

Geeez already:Beer:

PGHChargerfan
05-26-2007, 03:28 PM
Oddly enough, I got the scoop on the history from a poster in the Hotel del.
The credit card thing sounded so absolutely cheesy, but when paired with the horse, it's acceptable. Knights ride chargers into battle. Still a bit of an enigma to me, but I love 'em anyway!

mccharger
05-26-2007, 03:43 PM
has anyone seen a post from this poster that wasnt a downer laced with anger and tension?

Geeez already:Beer:I dont know whats wrong with that dude. He must really be bitter at his life. Ive read a lot of his posts and they are all garbage. My guess is he is an angry 13 year old boy. His post lack anything useful and lack anything that resembles intelligence.

Thunderstruck
05-26-2007, 04:11 PM
"Charger" is a classic (non-risque') double-entendre. We see it in the early Chargers shield. A horse-head, representing the "charger" horse, and the lightning bolts representing the "electrical charge" motif.

http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums/images/avatars/SanDiegoChargersShield61a.jpg

TurnerThaBurner
05-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I dont know whats wrong with that dude. He must really be bitter at his life. Ive read a lot of his posts and they are all garbage. My guess is he is an angry 13 year old boy. His post lack anything useful and lack anything that resembles intelligence.
My guess is... he's a Raider fan in disguise.

Lack of intelligence, bad attitude towards other posters here (including myself as of late) seemingly wanting to pick fights w/ members over the internet, and of course...very crappy spelling.

Yup... he's gotta be a Raider fan!

dmercado70
05-28-2007, 03:36 PM
this was a good read .. its too bad we dont know what were some of the other names that were listed before the Chargers became to be !!! i am also suprised on how the Hiltons were involved .. btw thanks for posting the names on certain books that i am now intrested in reading !!!

ps. Go Bruins

================================================== =====
the earth will quake as the heavens reign above the charger blue skies !!!