PDA

View Full Version : Best All-Time Charger Plays

BoltFanSoCal
11-09-2007, 12:26 PM
I've been a diehard fan over 30 years. I was trying think of the best plays I've ever saw. I thought I would remember a lot more than I did.

Here are few I can only think of now-

1. Dennis Gibson tip pass against Steelers in Goal Line stand to go to Super Bowl (1995?)
2. Caldwell's One hand Spear of a pass for a TD against Titans 2004? (I was at that game)
3. Last week in Minny- LT drag over the middle where Rivers threw behind him and LT snagged it with one hand (I want to see Peterson try to do that).
4. Pass in 2001 thrown to Conway- Hits CB in the back and Conway puts his arms behind the CB's back catches the pass and goes for a TD with the CB wondering what happened.
5, Brees in Oakland 2004- Double jump pass over the middle to McCardwell I think with Raider hanging on him.

I know there are many by Fouts, John Jefferson, Joiner, but my mind is blank now.

BEST CHARGER PICTURE ALL TIME- Only saw this once. Can someone put this up if you have it? Thanks in advance.

-- Photo of Fouts walking to line of scrimmage against Raiders with Blood dripping from his face. Heard Chargers have a big one of this in the lobby of Front Office.

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
For me, who has only been a fan since 1992, the one at #1 is still the most memorable. Prior to that in the same game, Stan Humphries to Tony Martin on a long TD bomb, as the Steelers went on an all out blitz. Stan Humphries would have won a SB for the Chargers with LT & Gates (I am now almost sobbing!)...

Bubba86
11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
1. lts touchdown run in overtime against the redskins where he stiff armed sean taylor straight to the ground

2. lts game winning overtime touchdown run at oakland when he fell to his knees right in front of the black hole and then the o-line mobbed him

3. michael turners 83 yard game clinching touchdown against the colts

4. rivers touchdown pass the jackson to win the seattle game in right after the announcers were bashing him for taking too much time between plays

i dunno if any of these are the best ever but theyre pretty good

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Bubba86 must be a young'on !!!...

Jubilation T. Cornpone
11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Iíve asked this before with no response, but Iíll ask again.
Joelbolt; why doesnít the ownership hire someone to collect all the great plays in Chargers history, convert them to mpgs or avis or whatever and post them in a new section of this web site?
Seems like a small monetary investment in the overall scheme of things.

Bubba86
11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Bubba86 must be a young'on !!!...

im not that young i just dont remember too much before like 1993, and those were the ones that came to mind first

Chargers 2008
11-09-2007, 12:44 PM
That is an easy question.

The best Play of all time

when we beat the Stealers to go to the Superbowl.

boltsareback
11-09-2007, 12:51 PM
The long bomb up the middle for a TD(Fouts to Dwight Scales) in the 4th Quarter playoff game against the Buffalo Bills to put it away the win in 1981. I can't remember the stadium being more loud than that play...ever, because it meant we were going to the AFC Championship game.

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 12:56 PM
That is an easy question.

The best Play of all time

when we beat the Stealers to go to the Superbowl.

A Freudian slip? :LightsOut:

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
]im not that young i just dont remember too much before like 1993[/I], and those were the ones that came to mind first

Based on that, you are very young (not a teenager, but still quite young :D)

Chargers 2008
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
A Freudian slip? :LightsOut:

Call it whatever you want but thanks to that "freudian slip" play we made our 1st Superbowl apperance.

Chargers503
11-09-2007, 01:03 PM
BEST CHARGER PICTURE ALL TIME- Only saw this once. Can someone put this up if you have it? Thanks in advance.

-- Photo of Fouts walking to line of scrimmage against Raiders with Blood dripping from his face. Heard Chargers have a big one of this in the lobby of Front Office.
http://www.chargertom.com/BloodyFouts.jpg

Memorable plays for me.
1. Stan play-action to Means, and Pupunu was left wide open to score the winning TD (AFC championship game vs PIT).
2. Stan throwing to Martin on a slant, and scoring a 99-yard TD (vs SEA at Husky Stadium).

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Call it whatever you want but thanks to that "freudian slip" play we made our 1st Superbowl apperance.

No, I don't think that you understood me!.

You called them the Stealers which is commonly the way that the Seahawk fans refer to them after SB XL. The correct name is Steelers which brought up the term Freudian slip. :good:

crazeone
11-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Joelbolt; why doesnít the ownership hire someone to collect all the great plays in Chargers history, convert them to mpgs or avis or whatever and post them in a new section of this web site?

In Gene Klein's book, First Down and A Billion, he mentions numerous times that he had films made of every Charger game. I know everyone in here would love to see those films.

GO CHARGERS:Helmet:

Chargers 2008
11-09-2007, 01:12 PM
The correct name is Steelers which brought up the term Freudian slip. :good:

LOL. I got caught up in the heat of the moment. :LightsOut:

speedbump
11-09-2007, 01:16 PM
I don't recall what year, but the home opener had Gary Anderson sweeping right and diving in for the goal line from like the 5 yard line...1989?

boltsareback
11-09-2007, 01:19 PM
Not a specific play so much as performance: Kellen Winslow in the 1981 Miami playoff game when he had to be helped off the field after blocking a field goal--he was exahusted.

Stone
11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Didn't take me that long to come up with an answer (http://youtube.com/watch?v=HGIUm2ed7GI)

sdcsp95
11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
i have a couple plays
1. humphrie's 99 yard td pass
2. fluties td run to beat buffalo with like 26 seconds left in the game.
3. LT's 85 yard TD run VS KC last year
4. LT's TD pass to McCardell
5. cromarties 109 yard return last week.
6. Tim Dwight punt return for a td VS the skins in 01
7. Rivers lil shuffle pass to Manumaleuna VS cincy last year.

leftyinthepen
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
the 99 yard bomb from humphries to martin, i know someone mentioned it....
natrone means over right tackle for a td in playoff game vs. chiefs....
humphries to seay, in that play that scored the winning TD vs. dolphins
almost any play in the 2nd half from the cincy game last year

speedbump
11-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Not a specific play so much as performance: Kellen Winslow in the 1981 Miami playoff game when he had to be helped off the field after blocking a field goal--he was exahusted.

:LightsOut:

MUNG
11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Anyone remember when Fouts overthrew Bobby Duckworth and it hit a Saints (or Rams) player in the foot and bounced back to BD for a 80yd TD?

Or, the Gary Anderson dive on opening day?

Jubilation T. Cornpone
11-09-2007, 02:43 PM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3366/alworth2bj4ls7.jpg

Iíd love to see the video of this play.
I donít even know who threw the ball.
Was it Rote, was it Hadl?
Someone out there might match up the uniform with the year.
The defender Bob Suci played on the 63 Pats.
Was this catch from the game where we won our only Championship?
Was it even a catch, or did the ball fall incomplete?
Only the video knows for sure.
Who is the man in lower left corner? He looks like a Chargers fan.
Why does the young man on the right kneel while the grown men stand?
What were the vendersí thoughts, when he turned around and realized that he had missed the play?
So many questions, so little time.

LightsOut4ever
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Anyone remember when Fouts overthrew Bobby Duckworth and it hit a Saints (or Rams) player in the foot and bounced back to BD for a 80yd TD?

Damn, I would pay to see something like that.

BolteRon
11-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Yea that performance was nothing short of heroic.

ESD Bolts
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
How about the LT pass to Brees?
And the run where LT jukes Ty Law... btw does anyone have a video clip of that? Ive been looking for it for a while

DC Charger Fan
11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Rote To Alworth in the pic above. Classic...

1.21Gigawatts
11-09-2007, 07:07 PM
The first ever play of the Chargers (kickoff return) was classic.

How about Stan Hymphries to Mark Seay against the Dolphins in the playoffs?

I thought that was a great play because Seay was in motion and got lost after the snap so the defender covering him man to man didn't know where he was. Then Seay ran in between the blockers to get wide open for the go ahead TD.

boltcorpse
11-09-2007, 07:12 PM
The best Chargers play is one we get to see many times each week...

LT up the gut for 0-2 yards. You just can't beat that. Never gets old. 10 bucks says they open up the game that way this Sunday.

Colts: 51
Bolts: 0

RAWDOGG
11-09-2007, 07:15 PM
brees pitch back to LT, Lt hits Brees down the sideline for a Td.........I think that was in 02 or 03

Der_BlitzSchlag
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM

LT up the gut for 0-2 yards. You just can't beat that. Never gets old. 10 bucks says they open up the game that way this Sunday.

My favorite play of my recent memory. If we had handed the ball to LT 150+ times last week, the Chargers could have gained 0 to 300 yards, seriously!.

DFerg60
11-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Any game where LT is scoring TD's against the Raiders

gopowderblue
11-09-2007, 08:36 PM

And the very next play will be an under thrown ball to a wide open receiver deep down the field. Love that play too.

rbagley
11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Anderson diving over the head of a defender for a Touchdown!! I watched that one live back in the day...it was awesome!

storm2122
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
How about Stan Hymphries to Mark Seay against the Dolphins in the playoffs?

I thought that was a great play because Seay was in motion and got lost after the snap so the defender covering him man to man didn't know where he was. Then Seay ran in between the blockers to get wide open for the go ahead TD.

I remember that play like it was yesterday. What makes it classic for me was Stan the Man's reaction jumping up and down like a little kid, and seeing the look on Don Shula's face. Then watching him head back down to the other end of the field on his golf cart, pouting.:):)

BoltFanSoCal
11-09-2007, 09:15 PM

I rememeber Anderson's Supeman Dive and summersalt. Was Awesome.

Only thing I remember about Duckworth-- Monday Night game if forget against who but he caught at TD pass only to start waving the ball and dropped it before he got close to the goal line. Anyone else remember that?

BoltFanSoCal
11-09-2007, 09:17 PM
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3366/alworth2bj4ls7.jpg

Iíd love to see the video of this play.
I donít even know who threw the ball.
Was it Rote, was it Hadl?
Someone out there might match up the uniform with the year.
The defender Bob Suci played on the 63 Pats.
Was this catch from the game where we won our only Championship?
Was it even a catch, or did the ball fall incomplete?
Only the video knows for sure.
Who is the man in lower left corner? He looks like a Chargers fan.
Why does the young man on the right kneel while the grown men stand?
What were the vendersí thoughts, when he turned around and realized that he had missed the play?
So many questions, so little time.
The guy in the dark glasses smiling is Jack Nicholson

Boltman2004
11-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I've been a diehard fan over 30 years. I was trying think of the best plays I've ever saw. I thought I would remember a lot more than I did.

1. Dennis Gibson tip pass against Steelers in Goal Line stand to go to Super Bowl (1995?)
2. Caldwell's One hand Spear of a pass for a TD against Titans 2004? (I was at that game)
3. Last week in Minny- LT drag over the middle where Rivers threw behind him and LT snagged it with one hand (I want to see Peterson try to do that).
4. Pass in 2001 thrown to Conway- Hits CB in the back and Conway puts his arms behind the CB's back catches the pass and goes for a TD with the CB wondering what happened.
5, Brees in Oakland 2004- Double jump pass over the middle to McCardwell I think with Raider hanging on him.

I know there are many by Fouts, John Jefferson, Joiner, but my mind is blank now.

For #4 that was Jeff Graham not Conway

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chargers2004/2001/CHARGER.jpg

Sirbob
11-09-2007, 11:37 PM
5. season opener (year?) Anderson Rockets in the the end zone
4. First time I saw the Lights out dance
3. Cromarties 109 return
2. Winslow in the 1981 playoff game
1. ever single one-handed stab by Ronnie Harmon.

bonus: the day we drafted Jr.

Meanz business
11-10-2007, 12:10 AM
How about the 94 yard scamper by Natrone Means @ Kansas City back in '96

The fake punt @ Seattle in '97 when #41 Terrell Fletcher getting us the 1st down

The "illegal foward pass" by Vincent Jackson last November against the Raiders

Meanz business
11-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Memorable plays for me.
1. Stan play-action to Means, and Pupunu was left wide open to score the winning TD (AFC championship game vs PIT).
2. Stan throwing to Martin on a slant, and scoring a 99-yard TD (vs SEA at Husky Stadium).

The pass to Al Pupunu wasn't the game winner, after the TD we were still behind by 3. With the Tony Martin grab, we pulled ahead by 4. The game winner came by way of Dennis Gibson's swat of Neil O'Donnel's pass at the 1yd line.

86iroc
11-10-2007, 12:23 AM
And the very next play will be an under thrown ball to a wide open receiver deep down the field. Love that play too.

you guys are lame..take your cry baby attitudes to another forum..wearing a bag over your head..get a life

anywho...my favorite play...well I have two..2nd favorite is the run Micheal Turner had against the colts to put the game away and give the colts there first loss of the year...first favorite is the fake Field Goal for a touchdown.or two point conversion something like that.....u guys member that...I think it was Scifres who was holding and then threw it over his shoulder and keading ran it in..that was in my book the greates play in charger history.

LT_GaT3$
11-10-2007, 01:50 AM

your wrong on number 4 that was jeff graham against philly we lost that game due to 2 fumbles from LT......

Chargerfreak
11-10-2007, 03:32 AM
The pass to Al Pupunu wasn't the game winner, after the TD we were still behind by 3. With the Tony Martin grab, we pulled ahead by 4. The game winner came by way of Dennis Gibson's swat of Neil O'Donnel's pass at the 1yd line. I was in Pittsburgh visting in-laws during that game. It was a beautiful thing to behold. All of Pittsburgh absolutely could not believe that we won that game. Recently, I had one guy that said he had not missed a home game in Pitt for 30 years, and that Charger win was the most dejected the fans had ever been there. :Bolt:

boltsareback
11-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Anderson diving over the head of a defender for a Touchdown!! I watched that one live back in the day...it was awesome!

"Anderson....back in the day..." WOW I feel old, I thought the glory days of the early 80's were "back in the day" but I guess there are fans here that consider the Balboa Stadium days...."back in the day." LOL

dflyn003
11-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Best all time Charger play?

Through the years there have been many.

But none stick out more in my mind than some of the catches made by Winslow or Joiner in the 1982 playoff game against the Dolphins,

There have been a lot truely great football games through the years but no other games, plays, catches, blocked field goals, tackles, can in my opinion even come close to the 82 game against the Dolphins.

and btw that picture of Fouts with his face bloodied playing the Raiders is great,,, Ive seen it before and still remember it well.

Chargers Fan
11-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Gary Anderson's diving TD in 1986. I'm absolutely certain of the year because that was one of the last games I was at before I went into the military for four years.

John Jefferson provided a few great circus catches in his brief time here.

For all of Winslow's great receptions, his greatest play as a Charger was probably when he blocked Von Schamann's FG in OT of the Epic in Miami.

Charlie Joiner's long reception to set up the winning FG in the same game.

Tony Martin's 99 yard reception in Seattle.

Mark Seay's catch from Stan Humphries late in the game against the Dolphins in the divisional playoffs. That one happened right in front of me, and I remember crying with joy (I was pretty drunk, too). Of course, my tears were still wet when the Dolphins managed to get into FG range (they missed it, thankfully).

Darren Bennett hammering Andre Hastings on a punt return. It was funny to see the punter so completely demolish a return man like that.

Dennis Gibson knocking down O'Donnel's pass for Barry Foster at the goal line. Although the play might be seen as routine, its significance (sending us to SB XXIX) made it great.

Turner's run to seal the game against the 13-0 Colts.

LT's record-breaking TD vs. the Broncos.

Cromartie's 109 yd FG return.

JACKLINSTEEL
11-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I rememeber Anderson's Supeman Dive and summersalt. Was Awesome.

Only thing I remember about Duckworth-- Monday Night game if forget against who but he caught at TD pass only to start waving the ball and dropped it before he got close to the goal line. Anyone else remember that?

Yup, I was there and remember that. That was classic!

1.21Gigawatts
11-10-2007, 09:55 AM
For #4 that was Jeff Graham not Conway

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Chargers2004/2001/CHARGER.jpg
Anyone happen to have the video of that?

Gobolts1
11-10-2007, 10:11 AM

Yup I agree. That was the best play in our history so far.

kingbolt
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
The most important play to me(or should I say game) was in 79'. When the Chargers beat the Donkeys for the AFC divisional title. Seeing them play when I was a kid was cool. I remember running around the house thinking I was a football player. Since then I've been hooked!