PDA

View Full Version : When Will ESPN Fire Jemele Hill?

Blue Bolt
06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
How Soon Will ESPN.com Get Rid Of Jemele Hill?

The BOSTON HERALD is reporting that ESPN recently released a statement apologizing for remarks made by ESPN.com PAGE 2 writer Jemele Hill. The statement addressed Hill’s piece from last week where she compared rooting for the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals to “saying Hitler was a victim.”

http://images.sportsbybrooks.com/a/5/a528c52d0f40b90d8fe8704ffc40715a_jemele.JPG

Hill has since revised her column, leaving much of the Celtics hate intact, but of course the damage was already done?

From the HERALD (http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view/2008_06_17_ESPN_com_apologizes_for_C_s-Hitler_reference_/srvc=home&position=recent):

The newly edited version of the piece, “Deserving or not, I still hate the Celtics,” is still online.

“The column, as originally posted, made some absolutely unacceptable comparisons,” the statement said. “We’ve spoken with Jemele, and she understands that she exercised poor judgment. Within hours of its posting on Saturday evening, the inappropriate references were removed from the site, and we are thoroughly reviewing the entire situation,” the statement said.

When asked how Hill’s remarks made it onto ESPN’s Web site, ESPN spokesman Paul Melvin said there was a “breakdown in the system of editorial checks and balances.”

Hill signed a well-publicized and allegedly lucrative deal (http://thebiglead.com/?p=1237) with ESPN.com in October of 2006. Her contributions have drawn fire from a handful of bloggers (specifically for her rabid defense of Barry Bonds (http://firejaymariotti.blogspot.com/2007/11/jemele-hill-probably-wants-to-make-you.html)) - and gone largely ignored by everyone else.

Too often in the blogosphere, the name of the German tyrant is used in lazy analogies for evil or anything overly-empirical. Hill deserved getting cracked for this, both by her online peers and by her employer. Those who enjoy a good Jemele bashing, get it in while you can, because no reasonable person could see her sticking around after her current deal runs out.

We’ll see who gets painted as the victim then.

Blue Bolt
06-17-2008, 02:11 PM
^ so.... I guess you don't have strong feelings on the subject, one way or the other. ;)

vodka&boltzs
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM
^ so.... I guess you don't have strong feelings on the subject, one way or the other. ;)
Yes I do that gives me even more of a reason to hate her. Look im a lakers fan but BS statements like that about hitler doesnt fly with me.

adeepercut2k
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
It doesn't even make sense. She's insane.
Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim?
*** does it even mean?

I'm glad that ESPN has been giving up and coming sports reporters time on their morning show, but she needs to go. It's cool seeing Trotter up there and all of the local reporters from around the US, but this girl is wackadoo. And I'm not for some anti-women in sports thing. I love seeing the girls talk shop. But she is just nuts. Jackie Mac' needs to smack some sense into her. ;)

SDfansince'86
06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Her name sounds familiar. She is the person who made those stupid, ignorant comments about Merriman when his car was stolen and burned? :mad:

dekkerbasser
06-17-2008, 05:17 PM
It doesn't even make sense. She's insane.
Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim?
*** does it even mean?

Agreed. The only thing I can think of is people rooting for the Celtics bc of the alleged unfair calls by the refs in LA.

Long shot, though.

56lightsout56
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Her name sounds familiar. She is the person who made those stupid, ignorant comments about Merriman when his car was stolen and burned? :mad:

when she filled in on Rome? yeah.

she is just plain stoopid and should be fired. there really isnt anything wrong about the Celtics. they are just as deserving of the championship as the Lakers are. heck they went from C*** last year to closing out the deal. gotta give them cred.

but to liken them to hitler? thats retarded. lets see if ESPN has some you know what and cans her Azz.

UCLAXTC
06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I've not read the article, but is it appropriate to fire her over a stupid, ill advised comment? Isn't that extreme? I mean, that's why ESPN hired her and other bombastic sports writers like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless. Sure, they say as idiotic sports statements without using historical/geneocidial references, but isn't firing her a bit extreme?

Good Days Last2
06-17-2008, 06:57 PM
She feels sympathy for someone responsible for killing well over 6 million INNOCENT people?

Wow. Destroy her career now. Entirely uncalled for.

David110
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
It's about time. She needs to get canned. I remember when filling in for Rome, she said, and I quote," The Patroits beat the Chargers like they stole something."

Lucid
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Well technically if the plumber forgets the framing then then there is no one to install the insulation.

Makes about as much sense as “saying Hitler was a victim.”

Southstander
06-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Oops!! She is gone!

Clint Beastwood
06-18-2008, 12:43 AM
She was a big time Piston fan, wrote a whole article a few weeks ago on why the Pistons deserved the championship, thank god if she gets canned, her articles were a waste of space on the internet. She has no reason to be on ESPN, I've read High School articles better than her work.

I also think she is a big time Laker and Charger hater, she has alot of biases in her work. I kinda remember her playing the race card alot too, but she never realized if she was white and a man, she probably wouldnt be writing for espn.

Shamrock
06-18-2008, 12:52 AM

That's her .....

ESPN has some real crap working for them.

Blue Bolt
06-18-2008, 10:04 AM
ESPN suspends columnist Hill
By Jessica Heslam
Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ESPN.com columnist Jemele Hill was suspended yesterday after sparking outrage by comparing rooting for the Boston Celtics [team stats] to Adolf Hitler and nuclear war.

“Jemele has been relieved of her writing and on-air responsibilities for a period of time to reflect on the impact of her words,” ESPN spokesman Paul Melvin said in an e-mailed statement yesterday.

Yesterday, Hill amplified on her earlier apology for writing, “Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

“In expressing my passion for the NBA and my hometown of Detroit I showed very poor judgment in the words I used,”

Hill’s suspension came as WBCN [website] radio hosts Fred Toucher and Rich Shertenlieb branded her a hypocrite and demanded she be fired.

In an April 2007 piece, Hill called for radio host Don Imus to get cashiered after his controversial 2007 “nappy-headed hos” slur.

“He is routinely offensive to people of color and women,” Hill wrote, “and if he needs to lose his job to understand that there is no place for that, so be it.”

Yesterday, the hosts of “Toucher & Rich” on WBCN-FM (104.1) said Hill should get the same treatment she had wanted for Imus.

“It has nothing to do with what she said. It has nothing to do with what Imus said. She wanted CBS to take action against Imus for what he said. That’s the bottom line,” Toucher said.

Bolt Cola
06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
awesome to see that she was suspended...Harold Reynolds was suspended before he got shown the door too if I'm not mistaken.

Shamrock
06-18-2008, 10:10 AM
“He is routinely offensive to people of color and women,” Hill wrote, “and if he needs to lose his job to understand that there is no place for that, so be it.”

She's routinely offensive to everyone, regardless of color. Fire her.

dekkerbasser
06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
“Rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim. It’s like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.”

Okay. Can somebody please give me their interpretation as to what this quote is supposed to mean?