PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome Says Its Cotrell and the 85 Bear Is What We Need!

I Believe
10-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Just on ESPN, said that when you hold up our depth chart and our stats on defense right next to each other nothing makes sense. Also said that Rivera is exactly what we need. Finally this guy gives the bolts some respect all I remember is trash from this guy.

muffindonut72
10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Just on ESPN, said that you when you hold up our depth chart and are stats on defense nothing makes sense. Also said that Rivera is exactly what we need. Finally this guy gives the bolts some respect all I remember is trash from this guy.

I haven't liked that guy since the whole Chrissy Everett debacle.

SDFootballNut
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Rome is a good reporter and he knows alot about the Chargers. He has been here in southern california for a long time. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Ron Riv ran Chicago right to the super bowl with a POOR QB that couldn't win a game if his life depended on it. So they used there defense and the MAN calling that defense was RR. Have faith and let Ron do his thing. In 4 weeks we will have sacks and INT's back in our favor. Let's just hope that the players take to his aggresive defense after being told for the last 2 years to bend and not brake........

TrabucoWR
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I saw that too. If Rivera puts up with crap from his players like Singletary does, I'm not worried about the rest of the season.

I Believe
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Any idea why Rivera was let go from the Bears? Sorry I dont know to much about that organization

CaliGirlInPA
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I agree - he just has to crack down on them. I pray that he turns things around!

RAWDOGG
Any idea why Rivera was let go from the Bears? Sorry I dont know to much about that organization

His contract expired and he was out interviewing for HC jobs.......actually interviewed with the Chargers as a HC

ImpactBolt
Just on ESPN, said that you when you hold up our depth chart and are stats on defense nothing makes sense. Also said that Rivera is exactly what we need. Finally this guy gives the bolts some respect all I remember is trash from this guy.

Speak english man. hahah

Borhan
10-29-2008, 02:58 PM
His contract was up and they just didnt resign him. He went to become the Cowboys head coach but Wade beat him out. Then Norv brought him over here as a DC originally but AJ wanted Cottrell to teach him about the 3-4 and get the defense rolling.

charger1_sj
10-29-2008, 03:48 PM
The reason Rivera was not signed by the Bears to a new contract is because L. Smith doesn't see eye to eye with him and the Bears are cheap. Rivera was looking for a big pay day after his defense lead the Bears to the SB. But instead he was shown the door.

TrabucoWR
10-29-2008, 03:52 PM
Different topic but did anyone see Rome on his final burn? Wow, what a horrible injury. Worst part of all is that Rome was right in that it never should have happened. Some bando left his wagon in the back of the endzone and that receiver hit it full speed and got a compound fracture in his shin. Poor guy.

JCDavey
10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Just on ESPN, said that when you hold up our depth chart and our stats on defense right next to each other nothing makes sense. Also said that Rivera is exactly what we need. Finally this guy gives the bolts some respect all I remember is trash from this guy.cottrell was the sacrificial lamb

something needed to be done to smack the players awake

hopefully this was enough, because if it isn't, next it will be trading some of them , or just counting on 09 merriman to get some of their heads back in the game.

atlamit
10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Don't listen to Joanne Rome.

Amped
10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Rivera will be great because he likes Ozzy

http://i2.chargers.com/assets/247/43141.jpg

Oside89
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM

Funny, we must be from different era's. That Chrissy Everett smack made me a fan. When Jim Everett, started diving to the ground with defensive linemen 5 to 10 yards away he was done. I thought Jim Everett would have been man enough to say, you know what Rome, I'm a pro football player and I'm twice your size, I don't like what your saying but, I did make a bone head play. Everett should have owned up to his short coming and made Rome look bad. Everett knew Rome's show was shock TV. Everett also knew Rome's show was using the Chrissy Everett smack talk. Everett went to that show looking for a fight.

From thoughts on Jim Rome. Rome should have been good enough to back the smack. When Everett came at him, he should have choked him out on stage and said "Sorry Everett", I'm half your size and my job is to be a shock TV host, nothing personal.

JCDavey
10-29-2008, 04:15 PM
cottrell = jake plummer , rivera = jay cutler

but hopefully for us the rivera change will be alot better than the cutler change for denver has been

hoopdreams
10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
cottrell was the sacrificial lamb

something needed to be done to smack the players awake

hopefully this was enough, because if it isn't, next it will be trading some of them , or just counting on 09 merriman to get some of their heads back in the game.

Agreed. Rivera can only do so much with the talent he has to work with. We still have horrible safeties and our second ILB in Wilhelm or Dobbins just isn't going to cut it.

Our defense is still going to suffer.

Bolt4Life
10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Different topic but did anyone see Rome on his final burn? Wow, what a horrible injury. Worst part of all is that Rome was right in that it never should have happened. Some bando left his wagon in the back of the endzone and that receiver hit it full speed and got a compound fracture in his shin. Poor guy.

OUCH! What teams was it? I want to try to youtube it.

JCDavey
10-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Agreed. Rivera can only do so much with the talent he has to work with. We still have horrible safeties and our second ILB in Wilhelm or Dobbins just isn't going to cut it.

Our defense is still going to suffer.probably, unless it's a wakeup call to them, which hopefully it is

PotatoMAN
10-29-2008, 04:23 PM
cottrell = jake plummer , rivera = jay cutler

but hopefully for us the rivera change will be alot better than the cutler change for denver has been

hmm, as I recall there was a year when Plummer had a whole year to start, and threw something like 1 int. I wanna say 3 years ago - and they went to the playoffs too.

Oside89
10-29-2008, 04:24 PM
From the Chicago Bears message boards:

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/2/1275161/ShowThread.aspx
The Bears defense Rankings with

Rivera:
2004 #21 D
2005 #2
2006 #5

and without:

Babich:
2007 #28
2008 #18

MDBear:
"Not sure what the problem was between Ron and the rest of the staff was but we were a better defense when Ron was here. Don't think anyone can look back now and say that getting rid of him was better for the team."

jtreal3:
"I think we already know...It was Ron/talent!...I don't know about you,but all I gotta do is look back at 05' & 06' when RR was D coordinator, and then look at 07' & and the 7 games we have played this season with BB as D coordinator to make my mind up.
As a fan of the Chicago Bears I miss Ron Rivera as our Defensive Coordinator, and (jmo)I think the players really miss him too!"

BearsMod8:
"I think this will answer alot of questions, as far as Chico's coaching abilities. We already know that our defense isn't as good as it was a couple of years ago, but now we have a chance to find out why. My prediction, is that San Diego will finish the season ranked somewhere between 15-20 in total defense and will be a top10 defensive unit next season."

Mcharger70
10-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Rivera:
2004 #21 D
2005 #2
2006 #5

and without:

Babich:
2007 #28
2008 #18

MDBear:
"Not sure what the problem was between Ron and the rest of the staff was but we were a better defense when Ron was here. Don't think anyone can look back now and say that getting rid of him was better for the team."

jtreal3:
"I think we already know...It was Ron/talent!...I don't know about you,but all I gotta do is look back at 05' & 06' when RR was D coordinator, and then look at 07' & and the 7 games we have played this season with BB as D coordinator to make my mind up.
As a fan of the Chicago Bears I miss Ron Rivera as our Defensive Coordinator, and (jmo)I think the players really miss him too!"

BearsMod8:
"I think this will answer alot of questions, as far as Chico's coaching abilities. We already know that our defense isn't as good as it was a couple of years ago, but now we have a chance to find out why. My prediction, is that San Diego will finish the season ranked somewhere between 15-20 in total defense and will be a top10 defensive unit next season."

I dont think we will have any Teddy post like that one.

thumper300zx
10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
I feel like if we beat the Saints, the move would not have been made --- it was like .500 would be acceptable. Maybe it's good we lost this game, if this is the move that needed to be made to succeed. Time will tell.

mouwie
10-29-2008, 04:35 PM

I thought that was funny. They're both wusses. Maybe Everette is one for taking a dive but Rome looked like a bigger one cowering like a sissy on the floor after basically calling him out.

I do still watch Rome though.

thumper300zx
10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I dont think we will have any Teddy post like that one.

If we do, someone is reading the wrong stat line.

hoopdreams
10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I thought that was funny. They're both wusses. Maybe Everette is one for taking a dive but Rome looked like a bigger one cowering like a sissy on the floor after basically calling him out.

I do still watch Rome though.

It was stupid of Everett to get that riled up over Jim Rome. His whole show is about pissing people off and being funny about it.

Everett was going to beat the tar out of Rome though.

Here's a link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57W05-oopNA&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8)

Air Norv
10-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Rome knows.

Gringosuave
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
His contract expired and he was out interviewing for HC jobs.......actually interviewed with the Chargers as a HC

he didnt get any of the jobs, and now chicagos D just hasnt been the same since

TrabucoWR
10-29-2008, 05:05 PM
OUCH! What teams was it? I want to try to youtube it.
I think it was University of Houston and the game just happened like this past weekend. Try and youtube Rome's take on it too, that might take a few days to find though since he just talked aboutit a few hours ago, but he was dead on in what he had to say about it. Blaming the band dorks for leaving their crap right in a spot where an accident like that could happen.

giant squid
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM

How can you not like him for that?

SDBoltLvr
10-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I feel like if we beat the Saints, the move would not have been made --- it was like .500 would be acceptable. Maybe it's good we lost this game, if this is the move that needed to be made to succeed. Time will tell.

I've been thinking about that and the fact that some of the defensive players did not seem upset at all with the loss. There had to be rumblings around the organization that TC's job was on the line. Everybody knows when an owner and/or GM say that no coaching changes are contemplated that is the kiss of death (pack your desk Wade). No one would ever admit it, but I just wonder if the defense wanted TC to get fired because it sure did not seem to me like they liked playing for the guy. We'll never know, but it makes me wonder. Go Chargers!

perryao
10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
I haven't liked that guy since the whole Chrissy Everett debacle.Jim Rome is the best interviewer in sports television/radio and has said that the "Chrissy Everett" spectacle was a big mistake on his part. I like the guy, he does great interviews and cracks me up.

perryao
10-29-2008, 05:44 PM
cottrell was the sacrificial lambThe difference the sacrificial lamb was totally innocent. TC did not make enough changes in scheme to change the result. I saw it, you saw it, Norv saw it....sayonara.

[/quote]something needed to be done to smack the players awake

hopefully this was enough, because if it isn't, next it will be trading some of them , or just counting on 09 merriman to get some of their heads back in the game.[/quote]100% agreed.

perryao
10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't listen to Joanne Rome.Wrong, listen to the dude. He has important guests and interviews them well.

MadMadigan
10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Folks, just in case some are not aware, even if RR is "The Guy" It may take a few games to undo the Damage Ruxspin left behind.

CruX
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Jim Rome is the best interviewer in sports television/radio and has said that the "Chrissy Everett" spectacle was a big mistake on his part. I like the guy, he does great interviews and cracks me up.

He did admit after the fact that it was a stupid mistake and he realized how bad it made him look. He also said he used it as motivation to be a better journalist and as a long time listener, I know for a fact that his skill as an sports journalist/interviewer improved greatly from his days back on the Mighty690 to his syndicated show today. He used to lead interviews by posing questions and even providing answer choices so that it was easier to get an answer out of the person being interviewed. Nowadays, you can tell he researches before his interviews because he gets more poignant non-cliche answers and he does not ask what every other journalist covers 1000 times over. But anyways, I personally like Rome and in some ways, hes like Boltcorpse and the whole 51 thing, either you get it and you're down with it or you cant stand it and want it to stop.

TJ-Charger-Fan
10-29-2008, 06:27 PM

Also consider this, they said the bye week was the perfect time to make such a move, if the bolts bye had come earlier in the season around game 3 or 4, this move might not have been made so in a sense we're lucky the bye came at this juncture, the team is in a bad spot but the season isnt completely lost.

Gobolts1
10-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Rome sucks. I can't stand him and his group of copy cats. Most of you here were so happy with TC last year and now it's his fault. You can't have it both ways.

Face it our front seven is getting owned wheter it's against the run or rushing the passer. Our ILB's are weak and we have arguably the worst LB core in the league.

Our roster isn't as deep as everyone thinks it is on D. Hell, if it was half as good as the players think it is we wouldn't be pushed up and down the field.

AJ needs to draft better players with heart and talent instead of reaching for players like he has the last couple drafts.

That's what the real problem is.

TJ-Charger-Fan
10-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Rome sucks. I can't stand him and his group of copy cats. Most of you here were so happy with TC last year and now it's his fault. You can't have it both ways.

Face it our front seven is getting owned wheter it's against the run or rushing the passer. Our ILB's are weak and we have arguably the worst LB core in the league.

Our roster isn't as deep as everyone thinks it is on D. Hell, if it was half as good as the players think it is we wouldn't be pushed up and down the field.

AJ needs to draft better players with heart and talent instead of reaching for players like he has the last couple drafts.

That's what the real problem is.

nah, i just think Teddy went ultra conservative and it backfired, by the time things got corrected (usually at halftime) the chargers were already trailing by 14 pts.

Even last year the D had its shortcomings, the run D suffered under Ted, the pass D improved some to be a middle of the road pass D. The saving grace was the 40 + turnovers.
If Ted had stuck to what what working the second half of last season and improved on that he might still have his job, as such, the team got worse and thus got booted.

foober
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Cause lovie smith was threatened by Rivera. It was RIvera's defense that made the bears good. And fans were asking for lovie to be gone and have Rivera as head coach. The bears owners were somewhat happy with lovie so they let RIvera go so to not cause friction with the team.

Air Norv
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM

Very true.

mastaflan
10-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Rome is correct!

chopper31
10-29-2008, 08:04 PM
When Rome said this, did he pause and act like he was waiting for a reponse, but there was nobody there to give one????

I can't stand listening to that putz.....

Rip
10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
When Rome said this, did he pause and act like he was waiting for a reponse, but there was nobody there to give one????

I can't stand listening to that putz.....
Putz?
Im sorry, but Rome is by far the best talking head in the business

Id rather listen to him than any other sports host on tv or radio

chopper31
10-29-2008, 08:41 PM
Putz?
Im sorry, but Rome is by far the best talking head in the business

Id rather listen to him than any other sports host on tv or radio

I think you either love him or hate him.

Probably not too much in between.

I'm definitley a hater....

LAbolt
10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Just on ESPN, said that when you hold up our depth chart and our stats on defense right next to each other nothing makes sense. Also said that Rivera is exactly what we need. Finally this guy gives the bolts some respect all I remember is trash from this guy.

I dont know if you knew exactly what rome was tryin to say but, just incase he said if Norv does not get it done, maybe we should think about bringin in mike Ditka, which personaly i would love!

crixus
10-29-2008, 10:27 PM
Rome stated the obvious. Thank's for going waaay out on a limb Jim. :helmet

jhasley
10-29-2008, 10:32 PM
i thought jim rome only yelled

SHOW ME YOUR LIGHTNING BOLTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChickenChan
10-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I've been thinking about that and the fact that some of the defensive players did not seem upset at all with the loss. There had to be rumblings around the organization that TC's job was on the line. Everybody knows when an owner and/or GM say that no coaching changes are contemplated that is the kiss of death (pack your desk Wade). No one would ever admit it, but I just wonder if the defense wanted TC to get fired because it sure did not seem to me like they liked playing for the guy. We'll never know, but it makes me wonder. Go Chargers!

I had the same feeling. Hope it's not true but since seeing the RR presser I get the feeling we're going to see the Chargers team we all thought this one could be the 2nd half of the season. Probably just the homer in me but at least it's something to hope for!

boltsrback
10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Why did the Chargers fire Marty after a 14-2 season? Dont worry about why the Bears fired Rivera, just be glad he is on this team.

Rivera is a smart man and knew there could be a chance for him to move up. Heck if the season continues along this path he might fall into a head coaching job.

TrabucoWR
10-30-2008, 12:28 AM
i thought jim rome only yelled

SHOW ME YOUR LIGHTNING BOLTTTTTTTTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
He was making fun of Hacksaw when he said that.

jhasley
10-30-2008, 12:32 AM
He was making fun of Hacksaw when he said that.

no duhhhhhh dude...i know this....i use to listen to hacksaw rip the chargers before the draft all the time

i know the drill

TrabucoWR
10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
no duhhhhhh dude...i know this....i use to listen to hacksaw rip the chargers before the draft all the time

i know the drill
Like I had any way of knowing you used to listen to Hacksaw too

BoltBacker4Life
10-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Rivera:
2004 #21 D
2005 #2
2006 #5

and without:

Babich:
2007 #28
2008 #18

MDBear:

jtreal3:

BearsMod8:

Just to be fair to last years and this years Bears D, they have more injuries on that side of the ball than any team in the NFL over the past two years. If you think losing Merriman hurt our D, go take a look at the players that have not been on the field since Rivera left

Al "T.D." Bundy
10-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Like I had any way of knowing you used to listen to Hacksaw too

If nothing else you gotta like Rome for the fact that he rips on "Butterknife".

Hey Teddy C... UH OH!

Clone Bundy

Chargers rule, Raiders suck. GOOD NIGHT NOW!