PDA

View Full Version : Remember: It even took Cowher 13 years to win a Super Bowl

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
After calming down some, a thought occurred to me: maybe the reason the Chargers haven't won a Super Bowl is because our city and team is a revolving door for players and head coaches.

Even look at the Coryell years with Fred Dean, Big Hands Johnson, and Louie Kelcher.

More recently, can you imagine our defense if we had kept Rodney Harrison?

And then it got me thinking. . .

It took Bill Cowher (whom many of you consider the most desirable replacement for Norv) 13 YEARS to win a Super Bowl

It took Tony Dungy 10 years to win one

It took John Madden 8 years to win a Super Bowl with the Faiders

It took Tom Landry 12 years to win a Super bowl with the Cowboys

It took Chuck Noll 9 seasons to win a Super Bowl

It took George Seifert, despite inheriting one of the most talented teams in the 80s, 5 years to win a Super Bowl

My point is that for every Bill Belicheat, Don Shula, or Joe Gibbs who all won within their first 3 or 4 years, you have a longer list of coaches who have had to keep at it.

This team is built for the long haul, and even though many of you claim AJ is an ego maniac whacko, this team is still very talented--talented enough to give us hope for next year.

BostonBolt
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Excellent post!

1 COOL GUY BOLT
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Um your probably not understanding they didn't have the talent. The JETS 1st season they in the AFC championship game with 1/2 the CHARGERS talent.

Seriously its a HUGE insult to lose to a team that couldn't even pass. I'm very sad to hear about the resigning =(>

IliketheChargers
01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
All we have is hope sir. All we have is hope.

LaDeezie21
01-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Um your probably not understanding they didn't have the talent. The JETS 1st season they in the AFC championship game with 1/2 the CHARGERS talent.

EXACTLY! The talent is here. The mindset isn't. They are not able to handle the pressure of a playoff game. They are WEAK MINDED. That's the problem.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM

Norv Turner also made it to the AFC Championship game his first season as HC

1 COOL GUY BOLT
01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
DUDE, honestly we should have won the SB the last 3 years. How can u be happy to hear NORV is stuck with us for 4 more years? DUDE man we just lost as #2 seed with everyone healthy no more excuses about our stars wern't healthy excuse.

VaqT
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM

Seriously its a HUGE insult to lose to a team that couldn't even pass. I'm very sad to hear about the resigning =(>
They are not in that game yet. And I think it's totally inaccurate to say the Jets don't even have half our talent. After what they did on defense this year, their very solid run game, people shouldn't underestimate their talent.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
DUDE, honestly we should have won the SB the last 3 years. How can u be happy to hear NORV is stuck with us for 4 more years? DUDE man we just lost as #2 seed with everyone healthy no more excuses about our stars wern't healthy excuse.

Well, I was a fan when we were 14-2 and lost to the Patriots in basically the same fashion we lost to the Jets.

I was also a fan in 2002 when we choked away nearly half our season.

Maybe it's also because I'm sick of hearing about how this team can't win it all, so we might as well trade this player, or fire this coach.

If there's anything I've learned as a Charger fan it's that addition by subtraction (Bobby Ross, Fred Dean, Rodney Harrison, Natrone Means, etc) has beaten this organization more than anything Norv has done to the Chargers.

ChargerGuyNY
01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Essentially the same thing I said yesterday..

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=77372

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Nice.

I've been trying to avoid sports so I don't have to hear the smack, but I guess great minds think alike.

foober
01-20-2010, 02:09 PM
They had lorenzal neal on the jim rome show today. He said some interesting things.

That norv should be sterner with players that get out of hand. And that the o-lines should run block with more passion. And that one big reason Rivers had a hard time is the jets realized Rivers isn't as good out of the pocket so they purposely tried flushing him to one side or the other thus cutting down the field in half where Rivers could throw the ball(I thought that was a very interesting comment).

And that the chargers shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. THat we have a very good nuculeus for a team. That what needs to be done is the coaches just have to get tougher with the guys that get out of hand.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
The Chargers beat themselves. If they hadn't lost their composure they'd have won that game.

Tomlinson21
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
After calming down some, a thought occurred to me: maybe the reason the Chargers haven't won a Super Bowl is because our city and team is a revolving door for players and head coaches.

Even look at the Coryell years with Fred Dean, Big Hands Johnson, and Louie Kelcher.

It took Bill Cowher (whom many of you consider the most desirable replacement for Norv) 13 YEARS to win a Super Bowl

It took George Seifert, despite inheriting one of the most talented teams in the 80s, 5 years to win a Super Bowl

My point is that for every Bill Belicheat, Don Shula, or Joe Gibbs who all won within their first 3 or 4 years, you have a longer list of coaches who have had to keep at it.

This team is built for the long haul, and even though many of you claim AJ is an ego maniac whacko, this team is still very talented--talented enough to give us hope for next year.

Great perspective! :Football:

JammerHammer23
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM

What do you think the Colts were saying after losing to a team coached by Turner for the first time without LT, and having their QB and star TE hobbled?

The Jets have the number one Run game, number one D. People seem to only remember that they can't pass.

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM

I haven't read through all the responses so maybe I'm not the first to point this out, but Norv's first year with the Chargers was NOT his first year as a head coach.

Also, George Seifert won a Super Bowl in his FIRST YEAR as head coach.

flashbolt21
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Why is this relevant to the Chargers of 09/10 ???

Are you saying we shoild give Norv or any other coach for that matter 13 years to win a Lombardi ??

Not sure I get your point.

KennyBynum
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
We need to not be comparing Norv Turner to Bill Cowher, for one thing. I don't think Bill Cowher was ever 24 games under .500 at any point in his career. The reason the Steelers stuck with Cowher for so long was that he had proven to be a very good head coach and he had the respect of his players. None of these players respect Norv, or if they do, headbutting opposing players and kicking the opposing coach's challenge flag off the field is not any way to show it.

Let's not be comparing Norv to guys that can actually coach, please.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Why is this relevant to the Chargers of 09/10 ???

Are you saying we shoild give Norv or any other coach for that matter 13 years to win a Lombardi ??

Not sure I get your point.

Well, it's a good thing I made my point clear.

"My point is that for every Bill Belicheat, Don Shula, or Joe Gibbs who all won within their first 3 or 4 years, you have a longer list of coaches who have had to keep at it.

This team is built for the long haul, and even though many of you claim AJ is an ego maniac whacko, this team is still very talented--talented enough to give us hope for next year."

Tomlinson21
01-20-2010, 02:29 PM
They had lorenzal neal on the jim rome show today. He said some interesting things.

That norv should be sterner with players that get out of hand. And that the o-lines should run block with more passion. And that one big reason Rivers had a hard time is the jets realized Rivers isn't as good out of the pocket so they purposely tried flushing him to one side or the other thus cutting down the field in half where Rivers could throw the ball(I thought that was a very interesting comment).

And that the chargers shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water. THat we have a very good nuculeus for a team. That what needs to be done is the coaches just have to get tougher with the guys that get out of hand.

I'd have to agree on that...when you see a bone headed play (ESPECIALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS)..someone's head is just not in the game obviously and someone needs to take that guy by the pads and set him straight and get ready for the next play as quickly as he can.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
We need to not be comparing Norv Turner to Bill Cowher, for one thing. I don't think Bill Cowher was ever 24 games under .500 at any point in his career. The reason the Steelers stuck with Cowher for so long was that he had proven to be a very good head coach and he had the respect of his players. None of these players respect Norv, or if they do, headbutting opposing players and kicking the opposing coach's challenge flag off the field is not any way to show it.

Let's not be comparing Norv to guys that can actually coach, please.

Whether you like it or not, the facts is this: the guy is currently the winningest coach in franchise history.

Also, whether you like it or not, the guy is here for 3 more years.

And if coaching in the NFL is so easy then why do so few great coaches have rings?

Look at the Eagles or Vikings franchises.

I bet Steelers, Cowboys, or Raiders aren't complaining now about having to sit by patiently while their teams struggled to win their first super bowl.

I know this generation has ADD, but there is plenty of reason for hope right now.

bigslick
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Whether you like it or not, the facts is this: the guy is currently the winningest coach in franchise history.

And if coaching in the NFL is so easy then why do so few great coaches have rings?

I bet Steelers, Cowboys, or Raiders aren't complaining now about having to sit by patiently while their teams struggled to win their first super bowl.

I know this generation has ADD, but there is plenty of reason for hope right now.

The Steelers won Super Bowl IX

The Cowboys lost in Super Bowl V and won in Super Bowl VI

The Raiders lost Super Bowl II and won in XI.

On top of that, they were playing in the Championship Games quite a bit. Mix in some good Dolphin, Packer, Redskins and Vikings teams, there was a lot of good competition.

Today's Charger teams aren't getting to Championship Games (except 2007) even with great regular seasons.

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
He's the winningest coach by PERCENTAGE POINTS, not by wins.

That people still cling to that as proof of Norv's abilities is preposterous.

I could come in and coach a game that the team might win on a fluke and guess what, I'd have a winning % of 100% and I'd be the winningest coach in Charger history.

Let's at least wait until he's DONE before we proclaim him the greatest, shall we? Is that too much to ask?

KennyBynum
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

I always laugh when people say this. I assume you mean that he has the highest win percentage in franchise history, not that he is the "winningest coach in franchise history." That's simply a lame and misleading statement. To give you an example of how lame it is, Wade Phillips is also the winningest coach in Cowboys history, because he is also their all-time leader in winning percentage.

So let's not be throwing lame statistics around to make ridiculous statements.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
He's the winningest coach by PERCENTAGE POINTS, not by wins.

That people still cling to that as proof of Norv's abilities is preposterous.

I could come in and coach a game that the team might win on a fluke and guess what, I'd have a winning % of 100% and I'd be the winningest coach in Charger history.

Let's at least wait until he's DONE before we proclaim him the greatest, shall we? Is that too much to ask?

Cling is what too many of the CMB posters do when they talk about what "Dream" coach they want.

Is it also too much to ask for Charger fans to stop crying about having to listen to their Raider fan cousins, or Uncles who have never lived in Dallas but are Cowboy fans, or their neighbors who are Steeler fans just for the tradition talk smack about their team not winning a super bowl?

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 02:44 PM
I always laugh when people say this. I assume you mean that he has the highest win percentage in franchise history, not that he is the "winningest coach in franchise history." That's simply a lame and misleading statement. To give you an example of how lame it is, Wade Phillips is also the winningest coach in Cowboys history, because he is also their all-time leader in winning percentage.

Ridiculous statements like how more than half the CMB posters claim ANYONE, including themselves, could coach this team to a super bowl?

Tomlinson21
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM

Don't forget the 90's Bills! Or Elway's Broncos!!!

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 02:52 PM

What, you didn't know that Dave Wannstedt is the greatest coach in the history of the Miami Dolphins?! He's greater than Don Shula!

Go look at the winning percentages!

As a matter of fact, if Tony Sparano wins his next game, he'll leap frog Shula and be tied with Dave. If he wins the first two, guess what, he'll become the GREATEST COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE DOLPHINS!!!

Shula can take his two Super Bowl trophies and 2 coach of the year awards and go pout in the corner!

BoltCultMember
01-20-2010, 02:56 PM

...and has since regressed. Since 07 our team has become more experienced in the league as well as together, loaded with more talent, and during this last upset, as healthy as could be. But we went 1 and out.

I understand that we can't just drop coaches left and right, but IMO I never thought Norv was the right guy to begin with.

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Ridiculous statements like how more than half the CMB posters claim ANYONE, including themselves, could coach this team to a super bowl?

^THIS^ has to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on the board, ever.

Since we're on the subject of ridiculous statements...

KennyBynum
01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
^THIS^ has to be the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on the board, ever.

Just wait, the Norv apologists are in "damage control" mode right now. You never know what kind of ridiculous garbage they'll spew next.

starry
01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
What I don't understand is why last season homers were saying an 8-8 regular season record wasn't important as we won a playoff game and yet this season they say a very bad playoff defeat doesn't matter as we had a good regular season. Can they please make up their minds as to what we are judging Norv on, is it because they think he is good in the playoffs or the regular season?

JerryinCA
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
It didn't take Cowher that long to get to a superbowl just win one. We all know only 1 team can win the superbowl every year and that leaves 31 other losers, it's not that this team loses but it's how they lose. They have a weak leader, he's a nice man but he's not a good HC and we will not win a SB as long as he's our HC.

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
What I don't understand is why last season homers were saying an 8-8 regular season record wasn't important as we won a playoff game and yet this season they say a very bad playoff defeat doesn't matter as we had a good regular season. Can they please make up their minds as to what we are judging Norv on, is it because they think he is good in the playoffs or the regular season?

I am not necessarly off board with Norv but this is pretty funny, mostly because it's true.

BoltCultMember
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM

This is what I've tried to get clarification with since Sunday.

VaqT
01-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Playoff record under Norv Turner(32-16):
2007:2 wins
2008:1 win
2009:0 win
2010:?Do we have a new trend? How did the last popular trend work out this year? :

2006: 14-2
2007: 11-5
2008: 8-8
2009: 5-11 ?

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Do we have a new trend? How did the last popular trend work out this year? :

OMG a trend ended!

There's no way another trend could possibly ever have any meaning, ever again!

:confused:

starry
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
I've never said that Norv cannot get us to a Superbowl, you can never predict exactly what will happen. I never thought Indianapolis would be Superbowl champions when they were, they were not really the strongest team that season. But a team without a good rushing attack in the red zone will probably have to get lucky at some point in the playoffs to make it all the way. Depending on field goals in the red zone as we have found out in the last 3 playoff defeats isn't desirable.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 04:30 PM

I think you read what I wrote incorrectly because most posters on this board do claim that.

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 04:31 PM
It didn't take Cowher that long to get to a superbowl just win one. We all know only 1 team can win the superbowl every year and that leaves 31 other losers, it's not that this team loses but it's how they lose. They have a weak leader, he's a nice man but he's not a good HC and we will not win a SB as long as he's our HC.

It took Cowher 4 seasons as HC To get to the Super bowl

JerryinCA
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
It took Cowher 4 seasons as HC To get to the Super bowl

Yeah but how was the team when he first got there? I don't know so I'm genuinely asking, did he take over a great team or a pretty bad one and have to build up to it?

Al "T.D." Bundy
01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah but how was the team when he first got there? I don't know so I'm genuinely asking, did he take over a great team or a pretty bad one and have to build up to it?

1989: 9-7, 1-1 in playoffs
1990: 9-7, missed playoffs
1991: 7-9
1992: Cowher's first year, 11-5, 0-1 in playoffs

gazork
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the history ... it may or may not be relevant as each coach was different and under different circumstances and times.

I don't thing Norv is the answer for a bunch of reasons and winning is not totally tied to the HC but ... there's a bunch of dice throwing and upper management skill -- no comment -- involved too. I have a bad feeling about the team next year but that could well be BS.

PhillyFan
01-20-2010, 05:11 PM
FANTASTIC! That means in 2019 we can hope for our 1st ever SB trophy.

VistaFan
01-20-2010, 06:00 PM

were you saying the same things for Marty?

KeepRivers06
01-20-2010, 07:00 PM
were you saying the same things for Marty?

No, I wasn't actually because Marty's track record was pretty consistent.

His resume with the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers were all the same. The outlier was obviously the Redskins.

Then you have Norv who failed with two teams who have continued to fail with or without him.

Listen, I'm not saying Norv is the second coming of Landry, or Tony Dungy, but the guy has won since he got here and has won more playoff games than Marty, so I think he deserve some slack.

KennyBynum
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
No, I wasn't actually because Marty's track record was pretty consistent.

His resume with the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers were all the same. The outlier was obviously the Redskins.

Then you have Norv who failed with two teams who have continued to fail with or without him.

Listen, I'm not saying Norv is the second coming of Landry, or Tony Dungy, but the guy has won since he got here and has won more playoff games than Marty, so I think he deserve some slack.

A couple of things here: Your measure of a good head coach should not simply be whether his teams would have failed with or without him. Your measure of a good head coach should be whether or not he has the ability to take a team that would likely not be very good without him and get it to perform at a higher level than should be expected of them. When a good head coach has taken over a losing football team, that team usually does not stay a losing team for very long. Where has Norv ever done this? When has he ever taken a team that shouldn't be all that good and turned them into winners? The answer is he has never done that. That's why I have a problem with people heaping praise on Norv just for making the playoffs three straight years. This is the Chargers, not the Raiders. It should be a given that they are in postseason year in and year out.

Secondly, how much longer are we going to cling to the "Norv has more playoff wins than Marty" line? Norv has lost 3 of his last 4 playoff games, and he just presided over the most embarrassing and inexcusable postseason loss suffered by any NFL team in recent memory. At what point do we start realizing that losing in the playoffs is a common theme for Norv as well?

Libbie
01-20-2010, 11:20 PM
They are not in that game yet. And I think it's totally inaccurate to say the Jets don't even have half our talent. After what they did on defense this year, their very solid run game, people shouldn't underestimate their talent.

I agree with you regarding talent.

If we're talking about our offense, probably the Jets doesn't have half of our talent... but on defense... won't you love to have Revis alongside Jammer and Weddle out there in the backfield? on and on....

Doesn't mean to disrespect our own defense... but they're better than a lot of other teams in AFC (even if you took away their last 2 games)

TurnerThaBurner
01-21-2010, 12:15 AM

Very good point about Cowher. It took him 13 long years to finally win the big one!

And when he finally won it, it was marred with controversy, due to the rather questionable officiating in that game (if you watched SB XL, you would know what I'm talking about...) But that's another topic.....

On a side note: it took the Red Sox 86 years to finally win a World Series, so let's hope we NEVER have to be in the same boat as they were... :(

Dj Chemical
01-21-2010, 06:29 AM
This team will be lucky to limp into the playoffs next season with Norv at the helm.

CaSteel004
01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Very good point about Cowher. It took him 13 long years to finally win the big one!

And when he finally won it, it was marred with controversy, due to the rather questionable officiating in that game (if you watched SB XL, you would know what I'm talking about...) But that's another topic.....

On a side note: it took the Red Sox 86 years to finally win a World Series, so let's hope we NEVER have to be in the same boat as they were... :(

Yeah a much different situation....while it did take Cowher a long time to win his SB he started with a very average to bad team in the early 90's. The same is said for all of the other coaches listed as well. They took over bad teams and eventually made them into Champions. Though Cowher had no SB victories he was very successful and turned the team around rather quickly. You can't say the same for Norv....he inherited one of the most talented teams in the NFL.

Regarding SB XL, before you question the officiating take into account some plays that SEA made or didn't make that had far more influence on the game then the officiating.

Giving up a 3rd and 28 at the end of half to set up a TD.

75 yard run by Fast Willie for a TD.

50 yard trick play for a TD.

Seahawk INT in Steeler’s red zone that resulted in Steeler TD.

ReppinMoose
01-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks you! Where are all the fans like you and I hiding right now?

CxHxAxRxGxExRxS
01-21-2010, 10:13 PM
One day.... one day.