PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone good with cars?

Bolt4Life
09-05-2010, 09:55 PM
We are trying to figure out what is wrong with my girl's car, and so far no luck. If all else fails, is anyone here a mechanic that can help a fellow Bolts fan out by coming to our condo in oceanside and seeing if you can figure it out? We would be happy to pay you.

GGP
09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
What's the problemo?

Chiprocks1
09-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Check to see if it has gas. ;)

boltcorpse
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uB-0D-gV8mY/SrJGVVdNalI/AAAAAAAAXnA/fJMHIweMOX0/s400/gary+numan

Lucid
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Are you sure the problem is with the car?

http://images.supersport.co.za/WomanDriver.jpg

ShowYourBolts
09-05-2010, 10:48 PM
A little help with what the problem is would be a start.

Bolt4Life
09-05-2010, 11:26 PM
:D

When we turned they key there was absolutely no noise what-so-ever. When we turned the key back to the left, a weird clicking was coming from where the radio is, and wouldn't stop until after I took my foot off the brake. We took out the battery and connected it to a car battery charger, and after it said it was fully charged, we put it back in. The dashboard icons came on, along with the light in the car, and the power locks came on. We then turned the ignition again, and same thing. No sound, once we turned the key back to the left one notch the clicking started while I had my foot on the brake. The radio nor front lights will come on, but the in-car lights and dashboard come up fine.

I know usually if there is clicking, it has something to do with your starter, but it doesn't click when we try to turn it on. Only afterwards when we turn the key back to the left one notch, and have our foot on the brake. Once we release the brake, if we push the brake in again, there is no clicking.

It is a 2004 Kia Optima.

ShowYourBolts
09-05-2010, 11:37 PM
:D

When we turned they key there was absolutely no noise what-so-ever. When we turned the key back to the left, a weird clicking was coming from where the radio is, and wouldn't stop until after I took my foot off the brake. We took out the battery and connected it to a car battery charger, and after it said it was fully charged, we put it back in. The dashboard icons came on, along with the light in the car, and the power locks came on. We then turned the ignition again, and same thing. No sound, once we turned the key back to the left one notch the clicking started while I had my foot on the brake. The radio nor front lights will come on, but the in-car lights and dashboard come up fine.

I know usually if there is clicking, it has something to do with your starter, but it doesn't click when we try to turn it on. Only afterwards when we turn the key back to the left one notch, and have our foot on the brake. Once we release the brake, if we push the brake in again, there is no clicking.

It is a 2004 Kia Optima.
I'm no mechanic but it sounds like possibly a faulty ignition switch. I believe that spots like Autozone will test your starter also to see if it's the problem, if you have the knowhow on how to remove it.

Have you tried googling the issue? Sometimes these things are common problems that others have already troulbeshot. There may even be a Kia forum to hit up.

Shamrock
09-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Could be the alternator, a loose wire, or a ground.

Did you hook up the battery posts tight?

GGP
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Could be the alternator, a loose wire, or a ground.

Did you hook up the battery posts tight?

Im thiking the same thing.

Do what SYB said and google it!

ShowYourBolts
09-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Nice thought Shammy, and even if they're tight are they clean? If they are corroded looking, remove them and pick up a terminal brush and clean the posts and terminals and see if that helps, it could just be a bad connection.

GGP
09-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Do you have an alarm?

apollo11
09-06-2010, 12:24 AM
First thing to do is get a haynes manual or a chilton. I think you can get a chilton at a library and the haynes at autozone. Sounds like the solenoid on the starter may be stuck on the flywheel. My chevy silverado had that problem. Turn on the ignition and I could hear a click. Sometimes I could wait and the solenoid would come back and the truck would start. You can also lossen the bolts a little and wiggle the starter. This will allow the solenoid to go back and you can start the engine. Sounds like a bad key igition switch or a bad solenoid on the starter. If the car won't start, take out the battery and starter and have them checked. If it is a bad solenoid on the starter, you can get your money on the core charge right there at autozone, same for the battery. Remember to disconnect the battery if you decide to take the starter off.

Bolt4Life
09-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey guys real quick just wanted to check in.

We got jumper cables, connected them, and the car fired right up. We left it on for 45 minutes. We then shut off the engine and immediately tried to turn it on again. It didn't turn on. Same problem except this time when I tried to turn on my headlights the clicking started. I'm thinking it is a dead battery because the connectors have no corrodedness on it all all, and they are tight. I did google it earlier today, and I read that sometimes car batteries have enough power to run the lights on the inside and what not, but not enough to start the engine. I'm hoping an AutoZone is open tomorrow so I can get the battery checked out. Right now as a couple we can't afford for either one of us to miss a day of work. And we both work over an hour away.

I'll check back in in the morning. Thanks for all the support!

apollo11
09-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Hey guys real quick just wanted to check in.

We got jumper cables, connected them, and the car fired right up. We left it on for 45 minutes. We then shut off the engine and immediately tried to turn it on again. It didn't turn on. Same problem except this time when I tried to turn on my headlights the clicking started. I'm thinking it is a dead battery because the connectors have no corrodedness on it all all, and they are tight. I did google it earlier today, and I read that sometimes car batteries have enough power to run the lights on the inside and what not, but not enough to start the engine. I'm hoping an AutoZone is open tomorrow so I can get the battery checked out. Right now as a couple we can't afford for either one of us to miss a day of work. And we both work over an hour away.

I'll check back in in the morning. Thanks for all the support!
You are correct. A discharged battery will run lights and a radio but will not start the car. Take off the alternator and battery, take them to autozone. Either the battery is bad or the alternator. Sounds more like the battery because if the alternator was bad, the battery would slowly die and the engine would cut off from not charging. Looks like it is a bad battery. 95% sure from the symptoms described. Make sure you get your money( core charge ) when buying a new battery.

apollo11
09-06-2010, 01:27 AM
I feel bad. Should have posted to have the car jumped. First thing I would have done.

Bolt4Life
09-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, it turned out the battery wasn't holding a charge, even though it was made in 2008. I just found it strange how the clicking happened only when I stated above. Thanks for all the help!

sdcfan720
09-07-2010, 07:54 PM
haha I had the same problem. We thought it was a bad battery. so we got a new one. Still didnt work. After having our mechanic friend look at it, after 30 seconds he realized that there was a piece of plastic on the battery blocking the charge. I felt so dumb. Word of advice, dont attempt to fix your car in the dark.

GGP
09-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Hey guys, it turned out the battery wasn't holding a charge, even though it was made in 2008. I just found it strange how the clicking happened only when I stated above. Thanks for all the help!

glad to hear your problemo was solved. It's funny how we all thought too much into it and overlooked something as easy as replacing the battery. :LightsOut:

rcali bolt hed
09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
glad to hear your problemo was solved. It's funny how we all thought too much into it and overlooked something as easy as replacing the battery. :LightsOut:

I have an uncle who is a certified Ferrari mechanic he said rule of thumb, do not think complicated.Always start with the easiest problems first and work your way through it.