Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy187 View Post
I didn't know that Joe. Thanks for clearing that up. Is it fair to say...coaches don't get the same level of love in the HOF voting that franchise players do?

Still though, he's a coach at heart...it's in his blood and this opportunity was gift wrapped for him.
If you're inducting a coach, that's one less player that gets in during each given season. Right now there's already a big backlog of HOF statistically worthy players, so Parcells needs the right opening that won't necessarily come when he turns age 75 at the earliest. Reports are that HOF induction is exceedingly important to the Big Tuna.

He's a coach at heart, but "sources" close to Parcells (accoring to the "media") state that while Parcells still enjoys the gameday coaching part, he is burned out on the 12-15 hour workdays that goes on 7 days a week from July - January. I think it's still up in the air as to whether he steps back into the meatgrinder at age 70.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Rookie

I beleive Goodell came down hard to distance himself from past, present and future liability as well as player safety and sportmanship.

The league is already facing hundreds of pre-bountygate lawsuites from former players basicaly claiming that the league did not do enough to protect them. Bountygate is a smoking gun and a huge legal problem for the NFL.

IMO, 75% financial concern, 25% concern over player safety/ resposibility/image.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

This "stall" tatic the suspended Saints are using,

shows me nothing, but an arrogant act of defiance,

and to me, appears as though they're literally showing

NO remorse for their actions. Gregg Williams not included here.

I hope Goodell stays true to his word.

Does Sean Payton think he's gonna coach from his couch?

On top of that, I'm getting the impression that the NFLPA

will purposely drag their feet regarding the supposed investigation

of the players, as they have with the HGH testing.

This part of the NFL business makes me nuts.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
I hate my Username

Saints players all won their appeals.

Absolute crap IMO.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek View Post

Absolute crap IMO.
Yeah. This disgusts me.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rek View Post

Absolute crap IMO.
Wow. Pretty shocking. Hard to say after that if the message is believable anymore.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Default It's a never ending circle ...

The players temporarily "got off" on a technicality. It gets dropped back into Goodell's lap to make a "new" decision.

Quote:
Bounty suspensions will now go back to the Commissioner
Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2012, 4:07 PM EDT

The players suspended by Commissioner Roger Goodell for involvement in the Saints bounty suspension rightfully have claimed victory.

For now.

Inspection of the four-page summary decision signed by Richard J. Howell on behalf of a unanimous three-person panel reveals that the case will now go back to Goodell. The panel decided that, based on the various overlapping jurisdictions of Goodell and the “System Arbitrator” and others under the labor deal, it’s unclear that the suspensions imposed by Goodell fall within his jurisdiction, and not the jurisdiction of the “System Arbitrator.”

For the rest: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-commissioner/
Goodell can impose the same penalties if he so desires, although the players can play in games until the "new" decision is issued.

You want analysis? Don't ask me: I'm just a Pollyanna lying idiotic know-nothing ball-watching stat boy.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
The players temporarily "got off" on a technicality. It gets dropped back into Goodell's lap to make a "new" decision.

Goodell can impose the same penalties if he so desires, although the players can play in games until the "new" decision is issued.
Nfl network scroll adds a bit more saying he can suspend these players if he submits proof of intent to injure players for money. Hopefully that 2000 page document that "floored" Peter king will be submitted instead of the junk I've seen so far.

-Mario Lopez
Old 09-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Pollyana-ish Homer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
Nfl network scroll adds a bit more saying he can suspend these players if he submits proof of intent to injure players for money. Hopefully that 2000 page document that "floored" Peter king will be submitted instead of the junk I've seen so far.
Like I said (as does Florio), the appeal was upheld on a technicality.

The panel determined that the Commissioner's power to impose discipline for salary cap violations (pay for performance) and for conduct detrimental to the game (pay to injure) are separate powers.

Quote:
The arbitration panel decided it’s not entirely clear whether Goodell imposed the suspensions under his authority to prevent conduct detrimental to the game or whether he infringed on the exclusive power of the “System Arbitrator” to penalize violations of the salary cap, arising from the fact that money potentially changed hands in connection with the pay-for-performance/bounty program.

Quote:
“While we agree, then, that the Commissioner had jurisdiction to discipline the Players in this case, we are uncertain that the discipline handed down was attributable, in any part, to that aspect of the Program which lies within the exclusive jurisdiction of the System Arbitrator,” Howell writes. “While we could speculate, it is not clear from the record before us whether had the distinction we draw in mind at the time he disciplined the players.”
Goodell needs weed the 2,000 page document to exclude the "pay for performance" evidence and only include evidence that supports the position that the players were paid (or offers were made to pay) for injuring / attempting to injure opponents.

The NFL lawyers apparently screwed up.

Last edited by JoeMcRugby; 09-07-2012 at 03:04 PM..
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Question is ... will Goodell cave, or will he throw the book at these guys again?

I've been a fan of Goodell, but if he changes his mind and reduces the penalties, I'll have a different opinion of him.

Vilma being so happy makes me sick.