Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Experienced

Default Osi Umenyiori

A recent article claims Osi is unhappy with not being a starter in NY. Are there any teams that have anything to offer the defending super bowl champs for his services?
He is in the last year of his contract and will make 3-4 mil so it's not a cap issue. The experts suggest he just zip it, play this year to boost his free agency value and make the big dough on his next contract.
Him coming out this early is a sign to me that he wants out. It would be a huge dent in the defensive scheme with their revolving pass rushers, but a disgruntled Osi could become a cancer in the locker room.
The Chargers are looking for someone exactly like him, but I don't see us having anything to offer them. They kinda owe us one for that Manning-Rivers trade so maybe they will throw us some love.
Where will Osi play this year?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbirdsd View Post
they kinda owe us one for that manning-rivers trade so maybe they will throw us some love.
lolwut?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Next man up

I am not sure what 4-3 teams need him... but he could be a good fit somewhere.

With that said... the fact this guy has complained about his extension pretty much sense he signed it... that makes me wonder if it will drop his trade value.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Rookie

He is a constant whiner who would be a pain in the locker room. If he was as good as he claims he is would he be a back up?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

If he's under contract, the Giants can make him sit the whole year if they want to.

I'm thinking he'll be with them this year, and then if he really wants out, he'll scram next year.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
If he's under contract, the Giants can make him sit the whole year if they want to.

I'm thinking he'll be with them this year, and then if he really wants out, he'll scram next year.
I always felt that this kid signed an extension too soon, not sure what his agent was thinking, I think he lost a ton of money. IMO longerm NFL contracts make no sense for the players, I am just not sure why so many of them covet them so much, if you want guaranteed money, then negotiate it 2-3 years at a time, look at sproles, he was terribly unhappy with the tag two years in a row, but he made more money over that two year stretch than he will over any two year stretch of his current deal and if he had already gotten an extension from the chargers years ago, not only would he have never made the money he has up until now, but his value would be lower by the time he was able to go after a new deal. Just like Osi
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drangus View Post
I always felt that this kid signed an extension too soon, not sure what his agent was thinking, I think he lost a ton of money. IMO longerm NFL contracts make no sense for the players, I am just not sure why so many of them covet them so much, if you want guaranteed money, then negotiate it 2-3 years at a time, look at sproles, he was terribly unhappy with the tag two years in a row, but he made more money over that two year stretch than he will over any two year stretch of his current deal and if he had already gotten an extension from the chargers years ago, not only would he have never made the money he has up until now, but his value would be lower by the time he was able to go after a new deal. Just like Osi
It comes down to guarenteed money. Sproles made a killing yes... but had he shattered his knee his knew deal would have been a lot lower. The players want insurance against injury... the team wants insurance against bad play includeing because of injury. And there lies the heart of NFL contract negotations.