Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Hall of Famer

no way dallas trades jones for a 5th....
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM
TY Kris Dielman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
He's undersized, can't return punts or kicks, and fizzled against good teams. Plus he plays a position that's of lowly value to begin with. I really like the kid, but I think 5th is just about right.
Undersized for what?

Maurice Jones-Drew is 208.
Ray Rice is 212.
LeSean McCoy is 208.
Jamal Charles is 198.

Hillman is only 20 and he's 200 lbs. There's no reason to think he can't get up to 210 pretty easily by the time he's 22, which is the typical age for a drafted running back.

As for fizzling out against good teams, did you see what LaMichael James did against LSU and USC? Why do people assume a running back is supposed to put up a buck-fifty in every game? Good teams will scheme to take away your biggest threat.

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 04-14-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck View Post
Undersized for what?

Maurice Jones-Drew is 208.
Ray Rice is 212.
LeSean McCoy is 208.
Jamal Charles is 198.

Hillman is only 20 and he's 200 lbs. There's no reason to think he can't get up to 210 pretty easily by the time he's 22, which is the typical age for a drafted running back.

As for fizzling out against good teams, did you see what LaMichael James did against LSU and USC? Why do people assume a running back is supposed to put up a buck-fifty in every game? Good teams will scheme to take away your biggest threat.
Man. I really get flamed every time I say this about Hillman.

Ok #1: I don't think he's too small to play in the NFL, but I think it's very likely that he's too small to carry the load full time as a teams lead back. I believe he's going to be a spell back at the next level and I don't really think that's a reach. Could he be a Jamal Charles? Sure. But are guys like that the exception or the rule?

#2: No I don't assume that a back has to put up 150 yards a game every game to be good. But if you look at Hillman's resume, especially from 2011, the difference between most of his performances, and his outings against the good teams SDSU played is astounding. TCU and Boise State made him a non-factor and in 2010 TCU and Utah really limited him.

Now, in all fairness to Hillman a lot of that was his OL being overmatched. But it still raises a concern for me. A guy like James had some tough games against good teams, but he also had several great games against good teams. It's not that I think Hillman needed to stomp TCU, Boise State, and Utah to be a 2nd rounder... but a good game against one of them would have been a "show me" statement on his part.

Every team SDSU played over the time Hillman was there was scheming to take away the run because our offense was predicated on it. But it's the success that good teams had doing so that concerns me.

Lastly, I'll say this. I still think Hillman is a good player. And I think he could be a great change of pace back in the NFL. But running backs have been devalued in today's game and he's probably not a starter. So I think mid round grades are accurate.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Draft This Man

Hillman won't' be Charles because Hillman doesn't have all star speed like Charles does.

sean of BSX