Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
I'm just trying to get more twitter followers and subscriptions to my draft site by making pseudo-bold claims about prospects I fall in love with. (I'm really Mike Mayock).
It all makes sense! Keep it up Mr. Treatment.

1. K. Fuller, CB, Va. Tech
2. C. Latimer, WR, Indiana
3. C. Reid, NT, Princeton
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson
6. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
7. B. Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolterated View Post
I would take a pass on Perry. At least after watching your posted video. Most plays he is easily blocked and the first sack was a pure coverage sack nothing impressive. He definitely does not wow me. I hope they go a different direction.
Me either.

Looks like a 2nd-3rd round talent at 43 DE.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Pragmatic Realist

1. Colts - Andrew Luck QB
2. Redskins - Robert Griffin III QB
3. Rams - Matt Kalil OT
4. Cleveland - Trent Richardson RB
5. Bucs - Morris Claiborne CB
6. Rams - Justin Blackmon WR
7. Jags - Stephon Gilmore CB
8. Dolphins - Ryan Tannehill QB
9. Panthers - Fletcher Cox DT
10 Bills - Michael Floyd WR
11 Chiefs - David DeCastro OG
12 Seahawks - Luke Kuekley ILB
13 Cardinals - Melvin Ingram OLB
14. Cowboys - Mark Barron SS
15. Eagles - Michael Brockers DT
16. Jets - Riley Reiff OT
17. Bengals - Dre Kirkpatrick CB
18. Chargers - Nick Perry OLB
19. Bears - Quntin Coples DE
20. Titans - Kendall Wright WR
21. Bengals - Cordy Glenn OG/OT
22. Browns - Janoris Jenkins CB
23. Lions - Chandler Jones DE
24. Steelers - Dont'a Hightower ILB
25. Broncos - Jerel Worthy DT
26. Texans - Shea McClellin OLB
27. Patriots - Dontari Poe DT/DE
28. Packers - Andre Branch OLB
29. Ravens - Amini Silatolu OG
30. 49ers - Stephen Hill
31. Patriots - Jonathan Martin OT
32. Giants - Doug Martin RB

Non-Charger Drafties I'll be watching
Jake Bequette (Patriots)
Jayron Hosley (Giants)
Brandon Thompson (Bengals)
Taylor Thompson (Titians)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Hall of Famer

NT and CB bigger needs that OLB?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Pragmatic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
NT and CB bigger needs that OLB?
For 2012 I would say yes. We are actually pretty solid at OLB for this year; We could go into the year with Philips, Johnson, English, Barnes, and Laboy and be okay. If Jammer or Cason goes down we will be starting Wright as of now, which would be pretty risky. And I view Garay and Thomas as DE/NT hybrids, we need to get a real two down NT.

I have us going OLB in the first because I like the CB depth, and I don't see a NT worth the pick at 18. BPA that fits a need IMO.

Jake Bequette (Patriots)
Jayron Hosley (Giants)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Pragmatic Realist

Final Draft Cluster

1. David DeCastro OG
2. Nick Perry OLB
3. Quntin Coples DE
4. Shea McClellin OLB
5. Chandler Jones OLB

Jake Bequette (Patriots)
Jayron Hosley (Giants)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by champgeorge View Post
Hey everybody. I've spent an unnatural amount of time watching videos and reading reports, so it's about time I actually produce my final mock for this year.

I constructed this with a few thoughts in mind. First, I wanted to mock the first three rounds of the NFL draft myself so I could get a realistic idea of who will be available at each of our picks. For this reason, many players that I am very high on are not included in this mock. However, I do very much like each of the guys I selected as fits both for the immediate and long term.

Round 1 - Nick Perry, OLB, USC

I have flip flopped on Perry several times, but I have just watched too much video of him dominating and wrecking havoc to overlook him any longer. He possesses one of the most impressive bursts off the line that I have seen in a very long time. Combine that with his extraordinary bull rush and speed, you get a devastating pass rusher. He is strong on the point of attack and possesses a great motor, which makes him a three down player in my opinion. There are some concerns with his ability to cover and play in space. I agree that he plays a bit tight, which will be an issue. However, I do believe with enough coaching his coverage will become about league average. Overall, I rank him as as top 15 talent, and I think he fills a long term need for this team.

Round 2 - Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

I have been high on Jayron since his outstanding 2010 season. He lead CFB in interceptions in 2010 and proved to be one of the nations top play makers. Though he didn't have the same eye-popping numbers this year, Hosley in my opinion continued to be a top cover corner. I rank him as the third best pure cover corner, and arguably the best zone corner in the draft. He is quick and fast and displays great instincts in coverage. He is also a very good returner, though I doubt he continues to play that role in the NFL, however his return skills make him very dangerous after the interception.

Hosley is small and light, however, he is a willing tackler. He doesn't hit the hardest, but he gets the job done, he will not shy away from contact. I love his instincts and ball-hawking ability, if it wasn't for his size concerns he is a top 20 pick in my opinion.

Round 3 - Jeff Allen, OG/RT, Illinois

Really interesting prospect. He initially caught my eye while I was watching A.J Jenkins tape. His body isn't the most impressive, but he is surprisingly athletic. He is quick and possesses a good anchor, I am really impressed by his footwork, very good in my opinion. I have read that he had great character and that he is a high IQ guy as well. I do think he has the ability to stay at tackle, but I like his potential inside more. I believe he will develop into a very good starter in the NFL.

Round 4 - Taylor Thompson, TE, SMU

I know what your thinking, but hear me out. I hadn't heard of this name until recently, however, he has gotten great coverage recently due to his insane pro-day work out. Thompson is a conversion project. He played DE his whole collegiate career (decently successfully). On the recommendation of scouts Thompson was asked to work out as a TE. He played the position in high school so he was somewhat prepared. He went out to wow scouts with his hands, athleticism and natural receiving ability. Here are his numbers

6-6, 259
VJ – 37 inches
BJ – 10’6
SS – 4.41
3C – 7.40
22 reps

Amazingly, the only major difference in his workout and Jimmy Graham’s is the 3-cone time. Other than that, very similar (size too).

He is shooting up the draft boards, and might not even make to us in the fourth, if he does, i believe he is too intriguing to pass up. He could be a long term replacement for Gates. Unfortunately there isn't any video of him playing TE, but here is a recent interview

Round 5 - Brandon Hardin, SS/FS/NB, OSU

Another high risk high reward player, but in the 5th the risk begins to seem pretty minimal. Hardin was regarded as a 3 round prospect before his injury that sidelined him for all of last year. He played CB, FS, and SS for Oregon State in 2010, and proved to be an amazing athlete. He has great speed (4.38-4.42), and great strength. He is kind of a man without a natural position, but I really like his fit as a strong safety. If any one saw him play in 2010 i'm sure you noticed his intensity. The guy is all over the field and flashes great potential. He was also a pro day warrior like Thompson. He too is rising up draft boards and might make it into the 4th, if he falls to our pick I think he could possibly challenge to get on the field this year as a SS/NB. Great long term potential makes him a solid pick here in the 5th.

Round 6- Dajohn Harris, DE/NT, USC

Dajohn Harris is a really intriguing player to me. He is another player that I found while watching someone else. The countless hours I spent watching Nick Perry also exposed me to this guy. Harris is a force on the d-line. He is very strong and surprisingly nimble. I was extremely surprised at the amount of double teams he demanded, at times he looked like the most feared player on the line. Harris seems to be a bit of a twiner, who if he bulked up might be able to play some snaps at NT. He is great at defending the point of attack, but he doesn't possess any pass rushing ability. He holds his ground very well, but doesn't penetrate with any frequency. However, as DE or NT he wouldn't be ask to penetrate much. He would be a steal in the 6th and I think could be a role player for this team for a long time.

Round 7 - Louis Nzegwu, OLB, ILB?, ST, Wisconsin

Raw natural ability is what comes to mind with I think of Nzegwu. Another man without a position, but he is just so dang impressive on tape. He flashes high round potential, but he lacks any semblance of technique. He is a super project who in my opinion has starter potential. He will not start or even see the field this year, if he makes the team. But he could be a super special teams player for us. With coaching I like what he could bring to the team.

Round 7 - Chris Greenwood, CB/ST, Albion

That's right a Division III player makes my list. Greenwood has got himself on the radar of many scouts due to his amazing pro day work out. He ran sub 4.40 and showed great natural athleticism to go with it. Some reports I have read on him have rising very fast, and he might even go in the 5th. Based on the video I have watch on him, it is way to difficult to evaluate him enough to put a 5th or 6th round grade on him. His speed alone makes him draftable, but I don't know what his long term potential really is. Worth the risk in the 7th in my opinion.

There you have it, that is my 2012 Charger mock. Hope you enjoyed it.
I like the Perry pick.

Hmm, well, ive lost count but i think that would be around 15 DB's AJ drafted in his time here and seems we need them every year. Id say he isnt doing well in that department. I hope he doesnt draft two more CB's. One fine but two? Holy crap we have two new guys from last years draft that havent got much time in. Hec one has no time on the field yet.

Hardin may have some upside but i see no reason to draft a safety at all after Harrison Smith with this weak class. Just another DB drafted doing nothing and you didnt draft a RB?

Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-24-2012 at 08:12 PM..