Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Hall of Famer

How come no ones brought up the most important part of a 4-3? What the NT is to a 3-4, is what a MLB is to the 4-3. We don't have a LB with the size to play that position. The MLB in a 4-3 is the run stopper. I'd say if they draft a big LB to play the middle, then I'd say we're moving to a 4-3. Until then I don't see it happening, like, I don't see Butler or Mouton, taking on 300lb centers. JMO

A Bree's jeresy never looked so good.

"Luck, is when, preparation meets opportunity" John Wooden

R.I.P.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 PM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB1SD View Post
How come no ones brought up the most important part of a 4-3? What the NT is to a 3-4, is what a MLB is to the 4-3. We don't have a LB with the size to play that position. The MLB in a 4-3 is the run stopper. I'd say if they draft a big LB to play the middle, then I'd say we're moving to a 4-3. Until then I don't see it happening, like, I don't see Butler or Mouton, taking on 300lb centers. JMO
What? Butler is good enough to play MLB. Not sure what you mean by size but Butler is the prototypical size of a MLB.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
What? Butler is good enough to play MLB. Not sure what you mean by size but Butler is the prototypical size of a MLB.
There is a difference between an ILB and a MLB. Sure Butler is an ILB, but, I don't see him taking on 300lb centers on a regular bases, which 4-3 MLB's have to do.

Butler is the prototypical ILB, but, not MLB, so much.

A Bree's jeresy never looked so good.

"Luck, is when, preparation meets opportunity" John Wooden

R.I.P.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB1SD View Post
You dont need a big MLB. There are very few BIG MLB's. Lewis is 250 but mostly stayed around 240 and Urlacher is 258 and was a college safety. Both have gotton bigger over time and have been in the league forever.

Most others are in the high 230's range.

That said, we arent switching to a 4-3 with Pagano.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Area 51 Contractor

If we don't already, we should use a base 3-4 with the ability to switch to a 4-3 as needed.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Hall of Famer

If we draft a true DE and a chase and tackle LB like Zach Brown, Lavonte David, or Nigel Bradham, then I see no big reason why we couldn't transition to a 4-3. But I think it's much more likely we will just use a multi-look defense out of a base 3-4.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Hall of Famer

We re-signed Castillo and Garay. We're not switching to the 4/3.

We also lack LBs that can cover, switching to the 4/3 makes that problem worse not better. Mouton may help solve that particular problem. Then we face the issue of not having true 4/3 DEs. Sorry Luiget doesn't fit and Phillips is barely big enough and won't hold up against the run. We'd need at least 3 and possibly 4 new guys. Ain't happening.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Hall of Famer

we should of picked up Demario Williams from the Texans if we where going 4-3 but that ship has sailed if we did go 4-3 we would have to air it out every down
Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
We re-signed Castillo and Garay. We're not switching to the 4/3.

We also lack LBs that can cover, switching to the 4/3 makes that problem worse not better. Mouton may help solve that particular problem. Then we face the issue of not having true 4/3 DEs. Sorry Luiget doesn't fit and Phillips is barely big enough and won't hold up against the run. We'd need at least 3 and possibly 4 new guys. Ain't happening.
Castillo and Garay are only here for one more season, so they hardly factor in on plans for the defense in 2013.

Like you said, Mouton might be good in coverage, and I was thinking we would need to draft a true WILL like David or Bradham to make the switch.

And Liuget would clearly be our starting 3 technique and Phillips is gone after this year regardless. If we drafted a player who can play either DE or OLB this year, another DE next draft, and signed a couple FA's, we would pretty much be there.

I doubt very much we're going that way. I think we are going to proceed with the base 3-4, while still incorporating even fronts pretty regularly. But if the NFL continues to trend to the 3-4 as it has been, it might pay to eventually go back to a 4-3. The value on players whose abilities are very specific to 4-3 defenses (like Worthy and Coples in this class for instance) will be lower than what it should be if the majority of the NFL is employing the 34. It might allow us to scoop some bargains.

But mark my words. This trend to the 3-4 will continue and then start back the other way. It all goes in cycles. But it's teams on the front ends of the defensive formation waves that typically land the most talent bargains in the draft.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 04-18-2012, 09:01 PM
Hall of Famer

I think the 3-4 is the best there is but if you build your team right like the Giants, the 4-3 is extremely effective obviously.