Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

off topic but a great video! im pumped up for some CHARGERS FOOTBALL IN 2012!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
If the plan is to sign a vet RB, I'm sure we will sign them in time for them to get a full offseason. If the plan is that we're set with Brinkley at #2, then a late vet signing is a contingency. This has gotten way off in the weeds and I'm probably totally wrong about everything anyway. Sooo... back on topic.

YAY FOR HESTER!
no doubt, but I'm CHARGER fan, so yay for Hester and good for him, but I don't have to like this, team is taking a step back here
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 AM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8r-Z...f5RVAAAAAAAAAQ

3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMcRugby View Post
Tasker was a special teams ace for the ages.

Osgood was the best gunner in downing the football inside the 20 in recent memory. I can't recall seeing anybody better at that task - and he was well compensated for it by making a couple of million per season to perform the task. He also undoubtedly caused some "extra" fair catches due to his physical ability to break through the double-team as the gunner in punt coverage.

The rest of Osgood's special teams play wasn't anywhere within the same galaxy of Tasker as he wasn't anywhere close to Tasker in tackling abilities. There have been quite a few Charger players who have been better than Osgood at that task, most notably Hank Bauer and more recently Mike Tolbert.

Hester is an overall very good special teams player. With the one-year close-to-vet's minimum contract that he undoubtedly has, it's good value IMO.
hanik milligan as well?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthommes View Post
Nothing justifies what we gave up for him in the draft. And nothing ever will. That happened 4 years ago and we're not getting the picks back, so it's not even relevant in the discussion...

The only thing relevant now is if Hester can contribute to the Chargers for what is likely a vet minimum deal (although I don't think I've seen anything indicating what he signed for, so that's speculation).

But I see it this way-- in one signing we get a ST captain (no, not a gunner or KO, but a very solid special teamer), a #2 FB and a #3/emergency RB who's immediately familiar with the O and STs-- all in one deal. It's hard for me not to like that.

The way I see it, we have a #1 and #2 tailback (RM and Brinkley, yes I'm penciling him in there) and 2 very versatile backfield players who are both #1/#2 FB + #3 tailback to platoon. In other words, we have NO backfield needs IMO going in to the draft.
i like your post. i agree with the draft being over with and not worthy of debate (the facts that we traded too much and took him too high should be self-evident at this point).

the only thing i'm having a tough time with is our RB corps as you have it penciled in. RM? ok. brinkley? a 2nd stringer? that's a stretch.

i'd like a decent runner to compliment RM. not a FB, not a hybrid HB (whatever that crap norv was calling hester back when we drafted him), but a bonafide, lighter, quicker RB like a sproles. less pressure on rivers, change of pace back, versatile in norv's offense, can do returns if (knock on would) the need arises, etc.

in a 2 back league, RM and brinkley seems rather weak to me. IMHO, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drangus View Post
he got a million to come back? please tell me you are joking
i sort of pulled that number out of my arse, but how much were you speculating on him receiving? i can't see it being much less than $1M base for 2012, though i admit i have no ****ing clue at the moment...call it a strong hunch in a boring lull until the draft.

Last edited by meachmayne; 04-21-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Old 04-21-2012, 10:01 AM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8r-Z...f5RVAAAAAAAAAQ

I know another person who wore #20 that was a complete opposite of Means

"Eventually when you've worked so hard and you have a will to win, you're gonna be a winner"
- Junior Seau

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Old 04-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meachmayne View Post
i like your post. i agree with the draft being over with and not worthy of debate (the facts that we traded too much and took him too high should be self-evident at this point).

the only thing i'm having a tough time with is our RB corps as you have it penciled in. RM? ok. brinkley? a 2nd stringer? that's a stretch.

i'd like a decent runner to compliment RM. not a FB, not a hybrid HB (whatever that crap norv was calling hester back when we drafted him), but a bonafide, lighter, quicker RB like a sproles. less pressure on rivers, change of pace back, versatile in norv's offense, can do returns if (knock on would) the need arises, etc.

i sort of pulled that number out of my arse, but how much were you speculating on him receiving? i can't see it being much less than $1M base for 2012, though i admit i have no ****ing clue at the moment...call it a strong hunch in a boring lull until the draft.
Glad to hear this, I am going to be even more dissapointed if he got any kind of signing bonus
Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 AM
<-- Bolt Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by meachmayne View Post

We might get that back in Justin Forsett. He's one of the free agent running backs the Chargers might be interested in according to a Union Tribune article. He's been a backup RB for Seattle. I've read in a few places that at 5'-8" and 190 lbs he's too small to take the punishment an NFL running back gets, but he's started some games and his stats look OK.

His pass blocking is pretty good and he catches passes out of the backfield so he'd be a good 3rd down back. (We're not going to get a 3rd down back in the draft because it takes new guys a few years to get up to speed in reading blitzes.) He also returns punts.

I've only been able to find a couple highlight videos on him, but he looks like a guy who's a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball in his hands. Yeah, everyone looks good in highlight reels so take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and back on topic, I like the Hester re-signing. We now have a backup fullback who's been a starter for 4 years. What's wrong with that?

Last edited by RD1040; 04-22-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Die Hard Bolt Fan

Hester was a mistake. Smith gave up to much for the guy. But that's water under the bridge now...I was hoping he would sign with another team, did not happen....so he is a Bolt for one more year. No big deal....just one more year. I think he never has shined at doing anything particularly well, and has blown blocking assignments and made mental mistakes in the past. I don't expect much at all out of him. I feel he can be easily replaced with someone else that has more upside.
"Some of the things the Denver Broncos employed under Gibbs were unethical, to say the least, and I say that as a former offensive lineman myself,'' said retired Jaguars center Dave Widell, who also played for Denver for five years before Gibbs' arrival. "The Broncos were very good at what they did when they were winning Super Bowls, but there was a dark side to what they did in a lot of people's minds, too.''

Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD1040 View Post
We might get that back in Justin Forsett. He's one of the free agent running backs the Chargers might be interested in according to a Union Tribune article. He's been a backup RB for Seattle. I've read in a few places that at 5'-8" and 190 lbs he's too small to take the punishment an NFL running back gets, but he's started some games and his stats look OK.

His pass blocking is pretty good and he catches passes out of the backfield so he'd be a good 3rd down back. (We're not going to get a 3rd down back in the draft because it takes new guys a few years to get up to speed in reading blitzes.) He also returns punts.

I've only been able to find a couple highlight videos on him, but he looks like a guy who's a threat to take it to the house every time he gets the ball in his hands. Yeah, everyone looks good in highlight reels so take it for what it's worth.

Oh, and back on topic, I like the Hester re-signing. We now have a backup fullback who's been a starter for 4 years. What's wrong with that?
good information, thank you. from the info, a back like justin forsett would be exactly what the doctor ordered in terms of a balanced (and effective) running attack.