Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
PFF's analysis of "pressure" is ludicrous. I'm not saying we don't give up pressures, but they don't know a wash from gap protection.

Also, apparently Rivers was sacked once in every six drop backs???

16%???

Let's all just stick with "Clary Sucks", work our way to "Vasquez Sucks", and as soon as we know who the left guard is, they can suck too.
Point taken.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

There was a good piece from Coach Hunter a few years back. The gist was that everyone wants to try and quantify O-line play with numbers. Problem is, you can't. There are so many variable on each and every play, that to somehow try and "measure" it with stats is the definition of futility.

You have to take each play, what the offense was running, what the defense was running, what EVERYONE on the play did to even start to get an idea. Over time, an image does start to develop.

One thing I know very few do, is to watch complete games of OTHER team's O-lines. I think more people would realize that while we don't have the 1980s "Hogs" paving runways, we aren't exactly the Three Stooges out there either.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
There was a good piece from Coach Hunter a few years back. The gist was that everyone wants to try and quantify O-line play with numbers. Problem is, you can't. There are so many variable on each and every play, that to somehow try and "measure" it with stats is the definition of futility.

You have to take each play, what the offense was running, what the defense was running, what EVERYONE on the play did to even start to get an idea. Over time, an image does start to develop.

One thing I know very few do, is to watch complete games of OTHER team's O-lines. I think more people would realize that while we don't have the 1980s "Hogs" paving runways, we aren't exactly the Three Stooges out there either.
Come to think of it, the resemblence between Clary and Curly is remarkable. You may be onto something.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Def. Player of the Year

Quote:
PFF's analysis of "pressure" is ludicrous. I'm not saying we don't give up pressures, but they don't know a wash from gap protection.

16%???

Let's all just stick with "Clary Sucks", work our way to "Vasquez Sucks", and as soon as we know who the left guard is, they can suck too.
They use "Pressured Dropbacks" and Rivers had 181 of those. Although as you say it is very subjective and difficult to measure.

How they come up with Pressured Dropbacks is fairly unclear and difficult to measure.

However the QB Pressure stat I used for Clary was from Acee. Where he got his information from I do not know.

I would like to have the RT upgraded at some point. As I said before we have more holes to fill.

BTW Vasquez > Clary. Vasquez was named All-Rookie by PFW and PFWA, while Clary has won Ed Block Courage Award after playing every snap in 2010..., averages 6.5 or so sacks a season, and continues to get penalties. Vasquez was also a 3rd round pick while Clary was a 6th round pick so he should be better at his position.

People who think our RT cannot be upgraded are mistaken. IMO Clary is average at best. I would rather have someone a little better. Especially with the pass rushers we face in the AFC West and Rivers' mobility concerns. Some on the Board Love Clary...Some know what sort of player he is, and some hate him. The fact that talking bad about Clary is an inside joke among several CMB Posters (the flaming and negative response by his supporters) I find very funny.

I would like to see some positive statistics that help prove Clary's supports arguments. Something other then that they "watch every game...etc." Anything would be nice.

Quotes About Clary:

"The Chargers have opened Vasquez's job to competition, and they've long been much too high on underachieving Clary"

O-line ranked 18th

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...-rankings?pg=2

Clary Ranked 11th our of 16 in the AFC West, behind Vasquez, Dielman, Hardwick, and McNeil.

Jeromey Clary, San Diego: Everyone wants the Chargers to replace him, but he’s a gamer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...ensive-lineman

O-line Ranked 18th 8/2011

"Jeromey Clary our second-lowest ranked right tackle."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...season-report/

2012 Walterfootball Offseason

"Finding some upgrades on the offensive line to protect Philip Rivers would be pretty helpful, but A.J. Smith doesn't seem interested in upgrading Jeromey Clary at right tackle. He'll focus on the defense instead."

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2012sd.php

"Worst Player: Sure McNeil and Dombrowski were poor, but they couldn’t match the consistently awful displays of Jeromey Clary (-34.3). He had just one positively-graded game all year and was constantly beaten off the edge."

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...-lines-part-1/

P.S. I typed in "Jeromey Clary good" and received 1 result. I typed in "Eric Weddle Good" and had 1,410 results.

RIP you will be missed.

Last edited by SdAztec; 05-02-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdAztec View Post
Although as you say it is very subjective and difficult to measure.

How they come up with Pressured Dropbacks is fairly unclear and difficult to measure.

I would like to see some positive statistics that help prove Clary's supports arguments. .
Can't do it for reasons cited.

What I will say is that we run a "riskier" offense in the sense that we don't boot Rivers out, we don't run a lot of 3 step, and we use a lot of 5 and 6 man protections. Few teams do all three of those as much as we do.

I've watched a few RTs other than Clary, and while there are better...there are a lot worse. Reality is that OTs in the NFL are difficult to find. Clary is a very good run blocker and (imo) an above average pass pro guy as RTs go. Anyone can be improved through replacement, but until we plug a few leaks elsewhere, I don't think RT should be high on the agenda.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbolt View Post
AJ pointedly ignored the OT position in the draft. He does not like drafting OT's. Again, we have a waiver wire LT and his back up is a retiree. This will take us to the Super Bowl? Hardly.
You are aware that Gaither is a pro bowl LT who was only on the waiver wire because Haley is an idiot right?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Madness? This is Chargers

Quote:

16%???

Unleash the Rivers!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Rookie

Hello ALL,

My name is Darius Savage, I was born and Raised in San Diego and went to Morse High school and played college ball at UCLA. I play offensive line and currently a free agent. I came out the year of the lockout feel that I was overlooked.I'm trying to get a workout to show teams what I can do and hopefully get a chance to compete. The Chargers are my hometown team so it would be a dream to even have the opportunity to step on the field I visited as a kid. I was hoping that someone could help me or even guide me in the direction to talk to someone within the Organization. Thank You ALL so much

ps. Heres a Clip of my Highlights from my Senior year

http://youtu.be/faQKbr-EWac
Old 05-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Darius do you have a agent?

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
Darius do you have a agent?
Yes I do. But because of the lockout and not getting picked up they're saying I have to go AFL then NFL which I understand the thinking but I really think I can help an NFL team right off the bat. Any suggestions?