Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
English was also a first rounder. But with his lack of playing time due to injury, he will be used in ST's.
English was too good last year to play ST's this year. Although I do think that he'll be in 5th place in terms of playing time for our OLB core.

Also, English is too injury-prone to waste his body on playing ST's.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
English was too good last year to play ST's this year. Although I do think that he'll be in 5th place in terms of playing time for our OLB core.

Also, English is too injury-prone to waste his body on playing ST's.
English played last year??? If healthy, i don't see English 5th. 2nd stronger, maybe. See how he does in camp. But he will be in on ST's.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Will Ingram short-arm the skeptics?
May, 7, 2012
MAY 7
7:25
PM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2TWEET7COMMENTS35EMAILPRINT
One of the reasons why pass-rusher Melvin Ingram fell to the San Diego Chargers at the No. 18 pick in the recent NFL draft was his relatively short arms.

The South Carolina product was expected to be a top-10 pick yet one of the few red flags on Ingram is he doesn’t have the long arms that classic pass-rushers have. Ingram’s arm length is 31.5 inches, according to Steve Muench of Scouts Inc.

The Chargers aren’t worried about Ingram’s arms and were thrilled that Ingram fell to them. San Diego general manager A.J. Smith quipped to U-T San Diego about Ingram’s supposed issue:"I think Melvin will have the same problem Tyrannosaurus rex had millions of years ago."

Still, teams prefer pass-rushers with longer arms because it allows them to separate quickly from offensive linemen. Still short-arm pass-rushers can have success. Two of the better pass-rushers in the NFL, Kansas City’s Tamba Hali and Minnesota’s Jared Allen, have arms in the same length range as Ingram.

Muench is not worried about Ingram’s shorter arms being an issue.

“The thing I love about Ingram is he makes plays on film and against the highest level of collegiate competition,” Muench said. “I think he has the motor, active hands and motor to overcome an concerns about his length.”

2015 Draft:
1. Dorial Green-Beckham WR
2. Ronnie Stanley T
3. Tevin Coleman RB
4. Jordan Phillips NT
5. Nick Martin C
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BOLTFAN View Post
Will Ingram short-arm the skeptics?
May, 7, 2012
MAY 7
7:25
PM ET
By Bill Williamson | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND2TWEET7COMMENTS35EMAILPRINT
One of the reasons why pass-rusher Melvin Ingram fell to the San Diego Chargers at the No. 18 pick in the recent NFL draft was his relatively short arms.

The South Carolina product was expected to be a top-10 pick yet one of the few red flags on Ingram is he doesn’t have the long arms that classic pass-rushers have. Ingram’s arm length is 31.5 inches, according to Steve Muench of Scouts Inc.

The Chargers aren’t worried about Ingram’s arms and were thrilled that Ingram fell to them. San Diego general manager A.J. Smith quipped to U-T San Diego about Ingram’s supposed issue:"I think Melvin will have the same problem Tyrannosaurus rex had millions of years ago."

Still, teams prefer pass-rushers with longer arms because it allows them to separate quickly from offensive linemen. Still short-arm pass-rushers can have success. Two of the better pass-rushers in the NFL, Kansas City’s Tamba Hali and Minnesota’s Jared Allen, have arms in the same length range as Ingram.

Muench is not worried about Ingram’s shorter arms being an issue.

“The thing I love about Ingram is he makes plays on film and against the highest level of collegiate competition,” Muench said. “I think he has the motor, active hands and motor to overcome an concerns about his length.”
I'll be happy for the next 10 years if Ingram is the next Jared Allen. Now, if our safeties are really shored up, like how our LB corp and defensive line, we just need some better CB play and I honestly think our defense can go back being elite like 2009.

THUNDERBOLTS AND LIGHTENING!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
English played last year??? If healthy, i don't see English 5th. 2nd stronger, maybe. See how he does in camp. But he will be in on ST's.
He started 5 games and looked good in 4 of them, the exception being the Jets game in which he broke his foot for the millionth time.

I really don't think they will waste the few snaps that he may provide them with on ST's.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Hall of Famer

IMO the OLB starters will be Phillips and Johnson and they will have English and Barnes in often as is reasonable in pass rush situations/rotational players and will experiment with Ingram in the OLB rotation and at ILB and DE as a situational player in rush packages.
Who goes where and how often will depend on individual production and success of assorted packages and alignments.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Caio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oside89 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-everyt...P11_hot_topics

NFL network Everything
The second part of the series opener goes all-access with elite prospects, including Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon and South Carolina DE/LB Melvin Ingram
great stuff, the guy is very passionate for the game
Old 05-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpolfan11 View Post
He started 5 games and looked good in 4 of them, the exception being the Jets game in which he broke his foot for the millionth time.

I really don't think they will waste the few snaps that he may provide them with on ST's.
If English wants to make a comeback and get rid of the bust label, he has to request to be on the field more than any player. That means playing on ST's as well as on D. There's a lot of competition this year between linebackers. Which is great.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Hall of Famer

From Michael Ghelkin today:

"At 6-foot-1, he's the same height as former nine-year Chargers veteran Stephen Cooper. He looks about as stocky, too."

This is nit picking, but really Mike? Really? About as stocky? Ingram has at least 30 lbs on Cooper on Stephen's best day. Try again.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM
<<Offseason Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
From Michael Ghelkin today:

"At 6-foot-1, he's the same height as former nine-year Chargers veteran Stephen Cooper. He looks about as stocky, too."

This is nit picking, but really Mike? Really? About as stocky? Ingram has at least 30 lbs on Cooper on Stephen's best day. Try again.
Coop may look as big because he was chiseled. Ingram doesn't have the chiseled physique, but Lord have mercy is he fast!