Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:08 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is online now
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzardwizard1 View Post
ONE mistake. ONE mistake. He had an almost perfect game! Golllly!
I hear you. But it's the NATURE of the mistake. It was glaring, horrible, and against a decent team would probably be unsurmountable. There's a reason so many teams are fine with having QB's as game-managers ----- because mistakes like the one Rivers made can kill you.
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
shibby3030's Avatar
shibby3030 shibby3030 is offline
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzardwizard1 View Post
ONE mistake. ONE mistake. He had an almost perfect game! Golllly!

if that happened against a better team, then that play would've been the game changer that caused the chargers to lose that game and Norv/AJ fired.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Chapin562's Avatar
Chapin562 Chapin562 is offline
In Telesco I trust
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
I guess no one bothered to listen to Rivers excuse after the game when he talked to the guys at NFL Network. He said he saw Rosario was covered but "he wasn't looking at me" so he made the throw. If the safety didn't turn around to make the INT it would have bounced off his back. There was no way for Rosario to make the catch with the safety directly between him and Rivers.

Rivers saw the coverage but threw it because the safety wasn't looking at him at that moment? That is a bit mind boggling and shows that he's going to keep doing those stupid things just as he has been for the past 22 games.

He isn't going to stop. Nothing short of a benching will make him understand that playing like that is unacceptable. Obviously losing games for the team doesn't matter to him.
Thats a lame excuse for Rivers. Didnt Flowers pick him off? If the was really going to do that throw he should of thrown in up high were if Floyd didnt catch it no one would but instead he threw it where on Flowers could make a play. I think PR just laid a brain fart imo
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Chapin562's Avatar
Chapin562 Chapin562 is offline
In Telesco I trust
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby3030 View Post
if that happened against a better team, then that play would've been the game changer that caused the chargers to lose that game and Norv/AJ fired.
It could of been a 17-3 or even a 13-3 lead going into half time. Atleast Rivers bounced back after that play
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-03-2012, 01:21 PM
biggestfan biggestfan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south daytona
Posts: 10,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I hear you. But it's the NATURE of the mistake. It was glaring, horrible, and against a decent team would probably be unsurmountable. There's a reason so many teams are fine with having QB's as game-managers ----- because mistakes like the one Rivers made can kill you.
It seems like Rivers mistakes become big momentum killers. Luckily against KC, this didnt happen. part of that reason is how inept they are right now, and our defense was able to capitolize on their mistakes.
__________________
Biggest Fan
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 AM
muffindonut72 muffindonut72 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,933
Default

Rivers' mistakes wouldn't bother me so much if he would stop repeating them. He continues to make the same mistakes over and over again, apologizes after the game, and then goes out and continues to make the same mistakes he just apologized for.

He has had too many years of throwing up jump balls where his receivers have bailed him out. I think that is why he is so sloppy with the ball. He didn't have to have pinpoint accuracy. He just had to throw the ball in a general area where his receivers would be able to fight for and ultimately catch the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM
SundaySilence89's Avatar
SundaySilence89 SundaySilence89 is offline
Kentucky Derby Winner
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Greece
Posts: 318
Default

What I really find interesting about this is that even going back to when he was drafted Ernie Accorsi would of taken Big Ben as a back-up plan to Manning over Rivers. All in all a pretty good read that left me wondering if Rivers has the mental make up to lead us to a Super Bowl.


Giants almost missed on Manning


Former GM says team had a pretty solid backup plan in '04: Roethlisberger


Originally Published: November 2, 2012
By Greg Garber | ESPN.com
NEW YORK -- Ernie Accorsi retired as the New York Giants general manager nearly six years ago, but you can still find him bounding through the corridors at the midtown Manhattan offices of the National Football League.
His title is consultant, but he still works the phone, solving problems of all magnitudes. On Thursday morning, a few blocks away at his high-rise home, Accorsi, who just turned 71, was doing just that. Later, crisis averted, he arrived for a TV interview wearing a blue cable sweater, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as they used to say.
Accorsi graduated from Wake Forest with a degree in journalism but eventually discovered his true passion. He worked for the Baltimore Colts for 13 years then rose to GM positions with the Colts, Cleveland Browns and Giants.
The Giants play the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday afternoon, the third meeting between quarterbacks Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. This has inspired a spirited discussion: Who has been the better player in his eight-plus seasons?
Their teams have won four of the past seven Super Bowls; the 2004 NFL draft is the only one to produce two quarterbacks who each won multiple Super Bowls.
It almost didn't happen that way, Accorsi will tell you. Big Ben could have been, under marginally different circumstances, the one under center for Big Blue.
How close did the Giants come to drafting Roethlisberger?
Accorsi closed his eyes.
"Pretty close," he said, sighing.
[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Bill KostrounThis photo nearly didn't happen, says Ernie Accorsi, right, the Giants' general manager at the time.


The Giants and Steelers, two of the NFL's proudest, most successful franchises, first met in 1933. They won six Super Bowls between them in the '70s, '80s and '90s but then suffered a severe drought. They had gone a combined 39 seasons without winning the Vince Lombardi Trophy when a single spring day, April 24, dramatically changed their fortunes.
Three stellar college quarterbacks were in that 2004 draft -- Mississippi's Manning, Miami (Ohio)'s Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers of North Carolina State -- but the Giants' organization, drafting fourth overall, wanted Manning. Accorsi had scouted the last two Ole Miss-Auburn games and was impressed, more than anything, with Manning's poise.
"You evaluate a quarterback and project him -- can he win championships for you?" Accorsi said. "That's the only criteria."
Accorsi attended Manning's workout in New Orleans and, frankly, left it depressed because he had been so good. Two days before the draft, Eli's father, former NFL quarterback Archie Manning, said he didn't want his son going to the San Diego Chargers, which had the No. 1 pick.
They took him anyway. Offensive tackle Robert Gallery went second to the Raiders, and the Cardinals selected wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Then the Giants stepped up for their 15 minutes of fame.
Accorsi had heard rumors that the Chargers would offer Manning in a trade sometime during that period on the clock, but seven minutes in, there hadn't been a call. The Browns, sitting in the seventh spot, offered to switch positions and throw in a second-round pick. The Giants were certain they could get Roethlisberger, who had terrorized MAC opponents.
"I thought, 'We're going to get Roethlisberger at seven,'" Accorsi said. "Our fallback position was never a bad one, because we really liked him. I had seen him in the [Senior] Bowl game down in Mobile, where I think he threw four touchdown passes in the first eight minutes of the game.
"But we stopped just short of sending anything to the league. At that point, the chances of making a trade for Eli seemed diminished. I thought, 'If I enable [the Browns to move up and trade] for Eli, I'm not going to be able to live with myself.' At the last second, I thought 'I'm not moving.'"
Then the Chargers called. They offered Manning and asked for Rivers at No. 4 along with pass-rusher Osi Umenyiora and a bunch of draft choices. Accorsi wouldn't give up Umenyiora but eventually agreed to draft Rivers and send him to San Diego along with a third-round pick that year and first- and fifth-round picks in 2005.
"You better be right," Accorsi said. "If you're right, you don't worry about the price. If you're right, it's Super Bowls. If you're wrong, now you've really crippled the franchise."
Roethlisberger went to the Steelers with the No. 11 pick and, in his second season, took them to victory in Super Bowl XL. Two years later, the Giants, led by Manning, stunned the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. Roethlisberger's fifth season produced another title (XLIII), and last season Manning won his second championship in Super Bowl XLVI.
So, what if?
"Nobody knows," Accorsi said, shrugging. "The stars are up there for a reason, so once you rearrange them, things come out differently. It's fun to speculate, but there are two Super Bowl trophies in that trophy case in East Rutherford, largely because of Eli. And that's all that matters."
Well, not all. Where does the Class of 2004 stack up with the vaunted Class of 1983? Accorsi is something of an authority in this area, because he was the Colts' general manager when they drafted a guy named John Elway with the first pick in 1983.
"That is considered the all-time great quarterback draft," Accorsi said. "They won two titles, the whole class, and that was won by one guy [Elway]. This class has already won four and been in five."
Matt Schaub, drafted in 2004's third round by the Atlanta Falcons, could join the club this season with the Houston Texans.
"He could very well win titles," Accorsi said. "I think you have to call this [2004] class the better class because they've won more championships and they're young. Rivers may win championships; Roethlisberger and Eli may win more. & They actually could retire the trophy."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Caslon's Avatar
Caslon Caslon is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,714
Default

That leaves us now with a QB who played better when he had the time, and a GM/Coach combo who weren't able to compensate for the type QB Rivers is.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM.


© 2012 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.