Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM
biggestfan biggestfan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: south daytona
Posts: 10,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigious5150 View Post
We have had our heartbreaks but I'm hard pressed to find any team that shot themselves in the foot more than we have. Sometimes you make it to the right place but run into the wrong team (Super Bowl XXIX). And other times you just don't get it done. In 2006 we had the best team in the NFL by a wide margin. We dominated the Pats and ended up shooting ourselves in the foot. The same thing happened when we went 13-3 and lost to a Jets team we should have handled. Its like nothing ever breaks just right for us.
I still feel alot of it has to with with leadership. We lost two winnable games under two different coaching staffs. We lack the player leadership. We don't have the Ray Lewis Brian Urlacher Charles Woodson types that coach the players on the field and in the locker room.
__________________
Biggest Fan
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM
pacstud22's Avatar
pacstud22 pacstud22 is offline
Moderator of the Trenches
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 15,176
Default

Most of you guys are doing a good job of keeping this a stand alone thread. Please dissuade and/or report hijackers and spammers who are determined to see this thread merged into the Norv/AJ OmniThread.

Thanks.
__________________
I love these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
LKincheloe's Avatar
LKincheloe LKincheloe is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Morro Bay
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
so youd rather be a team that has no talent and no chance to make the superbowl year in and year out or youd rather be a team that has a chance to make it to the superbowl but doesnt...or does it matter? to me it doesnt matter, though i think right now id rather be a fan of the 4-4 chargers than the 1-7 chiefs even if that means not having a chance to brag about my teams superbowl IV win.
These are our only two choices? Talk about setting your sights low. How about a perennial contender like the Steelers or Patriots?
__________________
"The important thing is not to stop questioning" -- Albert Einstein

RIP Junior
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
Outstanding post MB. Perhaps the Post of the Month.

Perspective. The proper one makes a big difference.
I think that's ridiculous. What makes this the "proper" perspective versus the original one that I posted. Only one other team in the NFL has a drought worse than ours that does not have multiple SB appearances, or SB wins, or both. (The juggernaut Lions).

That is the "proper" perspective to explain why the fans have become extremely anxious.

Sheesh.
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).



Last edited by LongTimeOCBolts; 11-04-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigious5150 View Post
We have had our heartbreaks but I'm hard pressed to find any team that shot themselves in the foot more than we have. Sometimes you make it to the right place but run into the wrong team (Super Bowl XXIX). And other times you just don't get it done. In 2006 we had the best team in the NFL by a wide margin. We dominated the Pats and ended up shooting ourselves in the foot. The same thing happened when we went 13-3 and lost to a Jets team we should have handled. Its like nothing ever breaks just right for us.
Agree completely. This was the other point of my post. Not only are we second-to-last in SB appearances (if you factor in recent history), we also have had the talent to do SO much better, and have found every conceivable manner to avoid the SuperBowl . . . ..

Also, as another posted, and as I meant to include in the original, our teams' talents have included so many pro-bowlers ----- eleven (11) in one year.

It cannot help but be frustrating to the fans given all the factors described above.
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).


Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-05-2012, 06:30 AM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKincheloe View Post
These are our only two choices? Talk about setting your sights low. How about a perennial contender like the Steelers or Patriots?
well of course ideally...if i could switch teams, i would obviously choose a perennial contender/dynasty with a ton of super bowl rings. thats not who we are. That sucks.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 AM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
I think that's ridiculous. What makes this the "proper" perspective versus the original one that I posted. Only one other team in the NFL has a drought worse than ours that does not have multiple SB appearances, or SB wins, or both. (The juggernaut Lions).

That is the "proper" perspective to explain why the fans have become extremely anxious.

Sheesh.
i just think youre setting the criteria to fit your needs. If you were unbiased and the 32 teams were sitting in front of you and were told to rank them from greatest franchise to worst, i seriously doubt the chargers would be ranked #31.

Ill ask you. what is the real difference between the falcons franchise getting to a superbowl in 1998 and the chargers franchise getting to the superbowl in 1994? Or the titans/oilers going in 1999...does this mean they have a prouder franchise than the falcons, than the chargers?

By regular season record we are ranked 17th in winning percentage. We are over .500 as a franchise although barely. The browns overall have a better winning percentage but of course that includes pre superbowl era wins. So im guessing in the superbowl era we have the best record of any team without a ring except the vikings, but you say we are worse than them because the vikings have made it to the superbowl more often than us.

so basically your argument is We suck as a franchise because we are a good team but cant get to a superbowl. Especially over the last 20 years (though i would say 8) because our team had a lot of probowlers and shouldve made it to some superbowls. and that makes us the worst team in the NFL when it comes to the superbowl era (when you eliminate any expansion team or any other team without a ring that has gotten there more recently even if said team has had a worse overall franchise) aside from the lions.

bottom line is it doesnt matter. we havent won a ring. We had a great opportunity in 2006 and we blew it. Id rather be a charger fan than a lot of other teams. Other teams have had just as much heartbreak and just as many talented teams underwhelm when it counted most and leave their own fans exasperated. Or the teams just have been flat out awful for so long, the fans are exasperated about that.

We all want a superbowl win. I think frustration over the past 2 years is at an all time high because we let some chances slip through our fingers, due to bad luck or bad play. I just think youre exaggerating how bad the chargers are. we are not #31. Your criteria is subjective. You have a right to be exasperated. But the chargers are not unique in this respect.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-05-2012, 09:09 AM
BoltFanBo's Avatar
BoltFanBo BoltFanBo is offline
There's a chance.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
See also: All San Diego Sports outside of a defunct indoor soccer league.

Fact like, the Padres are the only team to never have a no hitter, but have been no-hit a bunch of times. They have been to the World Series twice, but both times faced teams that could not be beat.

See also: My entire sports fan life outside of soccer. The Sockers win like 10 championships and then I move to Utah (nearly 20 years ago) and their start up MLS teams wins a Championship in a matter of years. But the Jazz pretty much follow San Diego's suit as my major professional sports Basketball team.
This is so true, once you add in the inept nature of all SD sports teams, college football and BB up until lately, Padres, etc. San Diego has had no major championships for my entire 46 years of life. Sockers and the Gulls have been the only championship teams. Both on a much lower level. The OP mentions Detroit and NY both have had championships at other sports to offset their lacking in the NFL. It's damn hard to be a die hard SD sports fan.
__________________
Tough for Charger fans
Year after year same old thing
Win big game someday
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is offline
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
i just think youre setting the criteria to fit your needs.

If you were unbiased and the 32 teams were sitting in front of you and were told to rank them from greatest franchise to worst, i seriously doubt the chargers would be ranked #31.

Ill ask you. what is the real difference between the falcons franchise getting to a superbowl in 1998 and the chargers franchise getting to the superbowl in 1994? Or the titans/oilers going in 1999...does this mean they have a prouder franchise than the falcons, than the chargers?

By regular season record we are ranked 17th in winning percentage. We are over .500 as a franchise although barely. The browns overall have a better winning percentage but of course that includes pre superbowl era wins. So im guessing in the superbowl era we have the best record of any team without a ring except the vikings, but you say we are worse than them because the vikings have made it to the superbowl more often than us.

so basically your argument is We suck as a franchise because we are a good team but cant get to a superbowl. Especially over the last 20 years (though i would say 8) because our team had a lot of probowlers and shouldve made it to some superbowls. and that makes us the worst team in the NFL when it comes to the superbowl era (when you eliminate any expansion team or any other team without a ring that has gotten there more recently even if said team has had a worse overall franchise) aside from the lions.

bottom line is it doesnt matter. we havent won a ring. We had a great opportunity in 2006 and we blew it. Id rather be a charger fan than a lot of other teams. Other teams have had just as much heartbreak and just as many talented teams underwhelm when it counted most and leave their own fans exasperated. Or the teams just have been flat out awful for so long, the fans are exasperated about that.

We all want a superbowl win. I think frustration over the past 2 years is at an all time high because we let some chances slip through our fingers, due to bad luck or bad play. I just think youre exaggerating how bad the chargers are. we are not #31. Your criteria is subjective. You have a right to be exasperated. But the chargers are not unique in this respect.

This entirely, and I mean entirely, missed the point. You've set up many strawmen that I never said at all. For example, that we are worse than the Vikings. That's not what I said. My post was about SuperBowl history. They have four appearances, we have one. That's not "subjective." You said that my point was that "we suck as a franchise". Never said that, either.

The title of the thread, and the original post, stand on their own for what they said. Our SuperBowl lack of success (or even participation) surely has caused some of the impatience of the fan base. And as explained later, this is especially true due to the manner in which we have shot ourselves in the foot when we have had extremely talented teams.

Sure, you can make other arguments about the overall worth of the franchise -- but that's a different discussion.
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).


Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
marion butts's Avatar
marion butts marion butts is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 9,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
This entirely, and I mean entirely, missed the point. You've set up many strawmen that I never said at all. For example, that we are worse than the Vikings. That's not what I said. My post was about SuperBowl history. They have four appearances, we have one. That's not "subjective." You said that my point was that "we suck as a franchise". Never said that, either.

The title of the thread, and the original post, stand on their own for what they said. Our SuperBowl lack of success (or even participation) surely has caused some of the impatience of the fan base. And as explained later, this is especially true due to the manner in which we have shot ourselves in the foot when we have had extremely talented teams.

Sure, you can make other arguments about the overall worth of the franchise -- but that's a different discussion.
this is what you said

we have the worst SuperBowl history (factoring in appearances, wins, and recent drought) of every team in the NFL except for three expansion teams and the Lions. Factor out the expansion teams, and that leaves us looking down only at the Lions.

for some reason you think it matters if you lose your one superbowl in 1994 or 1999 or 2005 or 2008 or 1998. For some reason teams that have been a joke but went to zero or one superbowl and lost but with a shorter franchise history means we have a "worse superbowl history". For some reason you count the browns as an expansion franchise even though they were a football team from the beginning of the superbowl era until 1995 and never made a superbowl appearance and then again from 1999 to the present. For some reason, making 2 superbowls and losing both means your superbowl history is better as if had the chargers made a 2nd superbowl and lost youd feel better about our superbowl history.

the one thing i agree with is that we had chances, better chances than this year to make it to the superbowl and we didnt. I can also agree that our superbowl history is pretty awful and we are way overdue for another superbowl appearance and another superbowl win.

I also understand the exasperation you feel towards not winning one. Im a charger fan, i feel it too.
__________________
"Being a Charger fan is tough.. It's sad actually"

-Mario Lopez
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 AM.


© 2012 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.