Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think the Chargers made the right decision in not resigning VJ?
Yes they made the right choice in letting VJ go 48 33.10%
Way too early to tell 13 8.97%
No they made the wrong choice and should have matched TB's offer for VJ 72 49.66%
At least they'll get a Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sammwich for him 12 8.28%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2012, 10:47 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyBoltsFan View Post
You're right - even good people make mistakes... even repeated mistakes... and they sometimes even eventually make the necessary corrections to their behavior and decision making processes. History is full of those whom have "turned the corner." It isn't a given though that they will do so - or even having once done so not slip yet again.

As Tom pointed out though - it wasn't about the team's "moral view" - it was about the business risk presented due to the NFL's policy regarding repeat offenders.

As I pointed out - it wasn't about the team's "moral view" - and it wasn't even just about the NFL's policies, it was also about his decision making.

It all added up to risk factors. I never once heard a Charger say they "were through" with him - or that they wouldn't love for him to remain a Charger. The questions were at what risk and at what cost (both monetarily and in regards to who couldn't be signed to the team if VJ was at his asking price).

It didn't help that his last contact year occurred during the uncapped year period and an unknown future CBA.

It didn't help that he chose to hold out after having pulled the driving on a suspended license stunt.

It didn't help that his agents were pieces of work in the preceding period of time.

Then there was the improvement of Brown (who could have predicted his broken ankle?)

It didn't help that the team needed to fill a number of other positions as well.

Reality is it wasn't any one thing - but they all added up together and in the end VJ decided he wanted ocho cincos more than he wanted to fulfill his stated desires to remain a Charger... and the Chargers decided that the risk and cost to the team in other players wasn't worth the ocho cincos.

You asked, "what if the decision is made not to sign him and he ends up never having another issue."

I ask, what if they had signed him and he ended up like Foley - or Kiel? What if they had signed him and they weren't able to sign or resign others?

Who could say with certainty that things would go as they have with the receiving corps the Chargers started off with in training camp? Most thought the future looked bright. And in all honesty - is it really the receivers or is it the QB, the OL, or some combination of factors?

As I pointed out in an earlier post - you have to make your decisions with the information you have at the point in time it is made and you have to weigh all the factors. One can't jump in a time machine and race forward to see how it might have turned out one way or the other. And once that decision is made, you have to move forward. Sometimes in life that means we are given another opportunity to reverse a decision. Sometimes that isn't possible - and there isn't any guarantee if it is that it will turn out any particular way...

I'm right there with you...I just lean towards the belief that CMB fabricated the idea that his DUI's cost him the job.... That would be an ultimate knee-jerk reaction by the FO, and I give AJ and Dean more credibility than that.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Hall of Famer

VJ came from a small college team, but he grew, into a monster machine.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
Like who???........
Was trying to refer to Plaxico Buress (didn't do so much in Pitt, but they had good intentions because he had alot of talent) and then Santonio Holmes...and then Mike Brown.

Every one of those guys were Pro Bowl level talent, and I don't believe they made it past their rookie contract with Pitt. At this point it almost looks like a drafting strategy that Pitt has developed....

Draft an amazing wide out and keep him for 3-4 years...and let him walk...rinse repeat.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Hall of Famer

All hail the physical attributes and gameplay that is VJ.

The other parts of his game? Integrity, loyalty, commitment, dedication.

Integrity, loyalty, commitment escapes VJ. It's all beneath him.

How ya gonna argue with his stance tho? His standpoint is valid.

Tampa Bay or whoever employs Vincent Jackson will find that out.

It's just a matter of who can fit him in at the right time and possibly win a SB using VJ.

Insert me. I come at a high cost, but I am really really good.

Last edited by Caslon; 11-07-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy187 View Post
Was trying to refer to Plaxico Buress (didn't do so much in Pitt, but they had good intentions because he had alot of talent) and then Santonio Holmes...and then Mike Brown.

Every one of those guys were Pro Bowl level talent, and I don't believe they made it past their rookie contract with Pitt. At this point it almost looks like a drafting strategy that Pitt has developed....

Draft an amazing wide out and keep him for 3-4 years...and let him walk...rinse repeat.
Didn't happen to LT, Gates, Rivers, Floyd, etc.... Many players that were great here, signed second contracts with this team. But we can't keep everyone. That's why there is a thing called Free Agency. They have the right to leave. And sign with another team.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
Didn't happen to LT, Gates, Rivers, Floyd, etc.... Many players that were great here, signed second contracts with this team. But we can't keep everyone. That's why there is a thing called Free Agency. They have the right to leave. And sign with another team.
All very true...but there was a couple misses in there as well. Castillo comes to mind. This is another hindsight 20/20 statement, but it might have been better to let Gates walk instead of investing so much into him this last contract go around. It doesn't seem to be paying off like it did earlier in his career.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy187 View Post
All very true...but there was a couple misses in there as well. Castillo comes to mind. This is another hindsight 20/20 statement, but it might have been better to let Gates walk instead of investing so much into him this last contract go around. It doesn't seem to be paying off like it did earlier in his career.
Castillo was great at stopping the run, and it was evident when he was out last year. Was he worth that huge contract??? No. But he played his heart out. Definitely better than Igor. And many other high priced DE.

As far as Gates, there's still a lot of football to be played this season. And I'll bet if he didn't renew his contract, qnd signed elsewhere, many guys here would be upset. I do think he's worth every penny. And I'm glad he gets to finish his career here.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Hall of Famer

I felt that the bridge was burned with VJ. And that made him unproductive in our offense. So with that, yes I still do believe we made the right decision in letting him go. If Meachem and Royal click in the late November and especially December then it will all not have gone to waste.

LETS GO BOLTS!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Fan since '69

Vincent Jackson is a primadonna and that's something our team doesn't need. I'll take Malcolm Floyd over him anyday.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolted View Post
I felt that the bridge was burned with VJ. And that made him unproductive in our offense. So with that, yes I still do believe we made the right decision in letting him go. If Meachem and Royal click in the late November and especially December then it will all not have gone to waste.

LETS GO BOLTS!
The stats don't bear that out at all.

Bottom line: Because AJ failed to bargain in the past, VJ's value got too expensive. The team could not afford him. Then they tried to get 2 WR's at least to replace him. Meachem and Royal have been a joke and a farce.
FINALLY after years of AJ hell, VJ was gonna get paid. Brother, you better believe he was gonna get paid.

People said he isn't worth this and that. He laughed all the way to Tampa. The NFL free market showed you what he was worth all of those years. The proof was shown. 56 million dollars tells you the debate is over son.
Get that money right, cuz he got his $$$

What is worth what ? Too much money, or letting your Pro Bowl Number One WR walk out the front door so we get to see Meachem drop game winning passes in Cleveland ?

REACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Word