Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: New HC Options for Next Yr?
Bill Cowher 93 28.10%
John Gruden 87 26.28%
Jeff Fisher 39 11.78%
Some Hot Shot College HC 26 7.85%
Russ Grimm 16 4.83%
Someone who hasn't been a HC before 34 10.27%
Other - name him 36 10.88%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadfish View Post
Except six seasons later, I can use my excellent hindsight to never have hired Norv in the first place, so that gives me a little credibility.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Fixed it for ya.
Allot of the people complaining have been doing so from the jump, but whatever makes you feel better.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBoltz View Post
Allot of the people complaining have been doing so from the jump, but whatever makes you feel better.
I'm sure those people are more than capable of speaking for themselves. I must have missed the commission that elected ibadfish as the spokesman for the CMB collective.

When you post "every member", what do you base that on?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure those people are more than capable of speaking for themselves. I must have missed the commission that elected ibadfish as the spokesman for the CMB collective.

When you post "every member", what do you base that on?
lol Mr literal. Really?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBoltz View Post
lol Mr literal. Really?
Really. What the problem is?

You mean every member of the CMb didn't interpret his comment that same way I did?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Really. What the problem is?

You mean every member of the CMb didn't interpret his comment that same way I did?
No problem, I just thought it was a pretty obvious exaggeration, I have been proven wrong.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Norv was a HC for over 8 years in the NFL before he came to SD. His record was sub .500. He had problems with players in Washington and Oakland. His record as a HC was well known. As a head coach he had made the PO one time. This is all public knowledge available to the CMB.

On the positive side he installed the offensive system that got handed to Cam. He knew our offensive system the best out of all other coaches. Since we had lost our OC, Norv was a logical choice if one did not want to rock the boat. He also led Dallas to 2 SB as an OC. The problem being we could not hire him as an OC as he held that title in SF.

One should be able to see the logic in AJ and Dean's decision. On the other hand low risk usually leads to low reward.
IMHO the Chargers were left in a VERY bad situation by Marty S. He played a game of chicken with AJ & lost by trying to hire his brother as DC. IIRC it was like Feb when he did this - all of the highly sought after "hot" names had been hired & we had to take what was available. That stuck the Bolts with no good choices @ HC. The fact that Norv has been given so many opportunities boggles my mind. He should have been on a 2-3 year leash from the outset - he wasn't the best available - he was the best available AT THAT TIME. So - AJ made the best decision he could given the circumstances - but he didn't have the cajones to cut Norv loose when it wasn't working out. THAT was AJ's key failing. Complain all you want about VJ (his agents were idiots), Sproles (he made a fortune here by being a franchise player), Brees (had no shoulder when he left), Turner (Spanos picked LT over Turner) or whomever else you'd like. AJ is a good evaluator of talent, marginal at PR/player relations but his keeping of Norv will likely be his undoing.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
outback goon

The bigger question in my mind is:
As an owner, who do you choose between? The gm or the coach?

My answer would be the coach. He is the one that takes what is given and makes it good or bad. Good coaches make good players great. Bad coaches make good players average. Face its the NFL, they are all good players compared to the alternative.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Taking a Chill Pill

What about Bruce Arians? He is a bit on the older side, but has impressive as an Interim coach so far.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 AM
"Stay Classy SD" my butt!

As much as I am not impressed with J. Gruden at all, he would bring a lot of excitement to this fan base and me included, eventhough I am not a fan of his.