Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Exclamation Bigby's tackling

I think Atari Bigby was having as good a start to the season as any other SS in the NFL. He was playing well in coverage, the run game and was being a good leader for our young guys.

But lately, specifically the past 3 games, has anyone else noticed Bigby tackling very poorly? He constantly keeps trying to hit the player in the upper body but it has not been working. He's going for the big hit but Bigby isn't that big or powerful of a player so the offensive player is just bouncing off him and turning it into a big gain.

Its a shame because there are plenty of times when Bigby can stop the ball carrier for a loss of yards or very shot yardage but because of his poor tackling habit, its costing our defense.

Its almost as if someone told Bigby "You need to start hitting harder" And that's a shame because that person has no idea what their talking about...like I said earlier Bigby was having a great prior to this need that he was to hit harder. Bigby needs to understand that he's not that powerful and that he's gonna lay a Polamalu type hit on anyone in this league. Even when he tried his big hit on rookie RB Trent Richardson, Richardson just bounced off and gave Bigby a smile as if to say "that's the best you can do?"

He's also getting closer to hitting opposing player in the head which will lead to him getting flagged for it as well as being fined. Maybe a hefty fine is what it will take to get Bigby back to playing like his old self.

But does anyone else see this as a concern? This is one of those things that you have to have watched our past 3 games very closely to notice...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 PM
outback goon

I kinda liked when he put that big hit on the chiefs WR. Make em think twice about coming his way again.
His tackling could use some improvement, but at least he will not be labelled "soft"
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hall of Famer

IIRC Bigby has always played like that, and it's my least favorite part of his game. He could use some tackling advice from Weddle who will either wrap up or take out the legs of a ball carrier. If Bigby insists on just launching his body as a substitution for a proper tackle he needs to be aiming for the thigh pads instead of the chest.

He's been a nice upgrade though, he's the first starting caliber SS we've had since Rodney.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
RyanMathews

He went high on Richardson and he broke it off for a TD...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Is it gameday yet?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM

I cant help but think of him as the predator trying to behead any WR that comes across the middle. Unfortunately, if he hits Bowe like that it'll do nothing.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Next man up

I have noticed him going for the big hit... I apreciate a good clean hit as much as anyone but priority 1, 2, and 3 ias stopping the ball carrier from advanceing forward... 4 can be laying a big hit in hopes of seperateing him from the ball.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
First member of the board

Some of my friends and I have also been talking about this same thing. He simply needs to wrap up. I can't believe the coaches aren't talking to him about it. It sure did cost us in the Browns game. Your right though, the rest of his game has been pretty solid.

A coach I had in High School used to say "hug 'em like you love 'em".

Old 11-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Experienced

It's not just Bigby, it's league wide. the guys that get the highlight reels are the guys that put the big hits on, they get one a game and they don't show the other 7 whiffs they had during that game.
Weddle does it right but my favorite is Jammer, that kid has great technique, shoulder to the hip, head in front of the legs, wrap and drop for a loss. That's why no one runs pitch plays to his side.
Nice video, the best part was Philips sack on Palmer where he dropped down wrapped the hips and took him down. No head contact, no roughing the passer just a good old fashion sack.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:52 AM
All-Pro

im a fan of bigby! hes a physical player that we need on our D,gives us a good presence on the field