Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosgc View Post
i'd put the stat sheet down if i were you and use your eyeballs...

i've been watching PR for years and he clearly isn't the same as from a couple years ago... his arm strength seems to be lacking among other things...

Alex Smith is the 4th highest rated passer in the game... is he the 4th best qb in the league?... heck is he even 10th best?...

when using my eyeballs i can see that Eli is playing better than PR right now...

it doesnt mean it will continue that way, only half the season has been played so far...
Sorry, I am going to go with objective stats over your subjective feelings. And the stats say they have performed at similar levels so far this year.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
Sorry, I am going to go with objective stats over your subjective feelings. And the stats say they have performed at similar levels so far this year.
i suppose Alex smith is the 4th best qb in the nfl then...lol...

anyway, you go ahead and stick to your stats, but i as well as most evryone else will go by what we see on the field...
Old 11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Crash Test Man

Quote:
Points scored in the first three quarters count exactly the same as points scored in the fourth quarter. Segregating 4th quarter statistics is.... completely useless. It has value only to sports writers who need to sell stories that fall in line with classic arcs.
Okay. Sure. Nobody cares if a quarterback is gold, or crap, in the 4th quarter.

Doesn't matter at all . . . . . .

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Okay. Sure. Nobody cares if a quarterback is gold, or crap, in the 4th quarter.

Doesn't matter at all . . . . . .
Didn't say nobody cared. Obviously the sports writers care about developing good story lines and the sucker fans have bought into it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosgc View Post
i suppose Alex smith is the 4th best qb in the nfl then...lol...

anyway, you go ahead and stick to your stats, but i as well as most evryone else will go by what we see on the field...
This isn't about ranking quarterbacks. This is about the inescapable fact that Rivers has performed on a similar level as Eli and Cutler.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
This isn't about ranking quarterbacks. This is about the inescapable fact that Rivers has performed on a similar level as Eli and Cutler.
so Alex Smith is performing at a similar level as Matt Ryan?...
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran

Yes. That is the interesting thing about cold hard study of the facts. It allows us to cut through our preconceived biases.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Honestly who cares about how Rivers compares to these 2? It doesn't make me feel any better about Philip this year.

He has 12 TD, 10 INT, and 5 fumbles (not sure how many lost) to go with that. That's no good. He's not playing well, or at the very least I would say his play has been very uneven this year. That's not to say it's all his fault, or that he won't improve. But if at the end of the year, his line is basically 2x all those numbers, we are really screwed. Not only will we fail to reach the playoffs, have to start over with a new HC and possibly new GM, but the main strength of the franchise will really be called into question.

But the fact his QBR is better than those 2 guys doesn't mean he's good, if anything it means they are overrated this season. I think Cutler still sleeps better at night right now...

Last edited by Crime Time; 11-09-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
Honestly who cares about how Rivers compares to these 2? It doesn't make me feel any better about Philip this year.

He has 12 TD, 10 INT, and 5 fumbles (not sure how many lost) to go with that. That's no good. He's not playing well, or at the very least I would say his play has been very uneven this year. That's not to say it's all his fault, or that he won't improve. But if at the end of the year, his line is basically 2x all those numbers, we are really screwed. Not only will we fail to reach the playoffs, have to start over with a new HC and possibly new GM, but the main strength of the franchise will really be called into question.

But the fact his QBR is better than those 2 guys doesn't mean he's good, if anything it means they are overrated this season. I think Cutler still sleeps better at night right now...
Well said.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I wonder if the Giants and Bears fans are calling for Eli and Cutler to be benched?
Have they been losing games for their teams with stupid throws?

And Manning and Cutler's career passing ratings are 82.4 and 84.6. They're not great QBs (although Manning can be clutch). Rivers' is 94.8. Manning and Cutler have never finished a season with a rating above 100, Rivers has done it 3 times.

So no, Giants and Bears fans are not asking for their QB's to be benched, because they're winning games and their QBs are playing the same as they always have.

And realistically Rivers', Cutlers', and Mannings' ratings are the exact same right now. Being 1 point or so higher is insignificant.

Last edited by Prae; 11-10-2012 at 09:08 AM..