Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think the Chargers made the right decision in not resigning VJ?
Yes they made the right choice in letting VJ go 48 33.10%
Way too early to tell 13 8.97%
No they made the wrong choice and should have matched TB's offer for VJ 72 49.66%
At least they'll get a Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato sammwich for him 12 8.28%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
You Win !!! Or VJ won !! Or, I can't keep track right now.
Water is so far past the bridge I'm trying to figure out why everyone is still standing here.

JJ ain't comin' back neither.

We all know that Chip Kelly is going to use Meachem and Royal in our Super Bowl victory flawlessly showing the wisdom in letting VJ walk so....

CHILL!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Water is so far past the bridge I'm trying to figure out why everyone is still standing here.

JJ ain't comin' back neither.

We all know that Chip Kelly is going to use Meachem and Royal in our Super Bowl victory flawlessly showing the wisdom in letting VJ walk so....

CHILL!
Did you just tell me to take a chill pill ? Are you trying out for the Chargers PR dept. ?

I can tell you why I am still here, and be on topic too. Tom and I have been debating VJ since the start of time itself I think. I have proven my point this year, along with everyone saying that he was nothing without Rivers. Is the reverse true ?

The point, along with my posting, has now expanded. AJ's actions with VJ is a sick sign of a troubled core that we need rebuilt. Call Cowher. Call Gruden. Just call someone.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Did you just tell me to take a chill pill ? Are you trying out for the Chargers PR dept. ?

I can tell you why I am still here, and be on topic too. Tom and I have been debating VJ since the start of time itself I think. I have proven my point this year, along with everyone saying that he was nothing without Rivers. Is the reverse true ?

The point, along with my posting, has now expanded. AJ's actions with VJ is a sick sign of a troubled core that we need rebuilt. Call Cowher. Call Gruden. Just call someone.
You're all wrong imo, and I'm right.

But what's new?
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Offseason Lurker

Quote:

Freak, you have some of the most legendary soapbox rants.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimmy187 View Post
Freak, you have some of the most legendary soapbox rants.
Thanks Chimmy my Bolt Brother !!!

At this point I have to keep my sense of humor or I am going to lose my Freaking mind !
Old 11-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Moderator of Insanity

Quote:
Let me simplify the process for you guys. I'll make it easier since you are reaching so much.

You can have any reciever from Tampa or SD for 1 dollar. Who ya gonna call ? Don't even try to be funny and say Floyd either.

REACT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Malcolm...
M80...
Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Rookie

Chargers did VJ a favor I am sure he is glad to be out of San Diego because this team has no chance of going to a Superbowl. Now going to Tampa is not a huge step up. But that DID win the Superbowl they were in.

As for the Chargers they rarely make good decisions so I would say this is just another AJ Fumble. Its hard to make good decisions when your Huge EGO is blocking your view.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Chimmy my Bolt Brother !!!

At this point I have to keep my sense of humor or I am going to lose my Freaking mind !
I pick Floyd.

Call Ghostbusters.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
5 catches, 59 yards, 0 TD's.

Beast mode!!
36 rec, 769 yards, 6 TDs >>>>> 12 rec, 189 yards, 2 TDs + 16 rec, 134 yards, 2 TDs. Denial might make you feel better, but it doesn't change the facts.

RIP Junior
Old 11-11-2012, 11:14 PM
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargrfan View Post
I know this week having to play the Bucs, this has been a question that has been tossed around a lot but lets have an actual thread and poll to vote on.

So lets get the facts straight. Vincent Jackson was drafted by us in 06, was developed into a pro bowl star WR here in San Diego and is now a top 5 WR in the NFL. He had his run ins with the law but had seemingly fixed all those issues after the 09 season and there was the infamous contract dispute between AJ and VJ during the '10 season which led to VJ missing many games. Then we franchise tagged him after that season and he went on to have yet another 1,000 yard season yet the Chargers chose not to resign him following the '11 season. He was asking for MEGA money in $55 million contract but the Chargers felt like going in a different direction.

Many pundits thought that he was only good because of a pro bowl QB Phillip Rivers and playing in Norv Turner's offense. However, he has proved them all wrong. Through 8 games this season he has 710 yards and 6 TDs. He is on pace for a career high 1,400 yards and 12+ TDs. Even on games when he may not be particularly effective, he is drawing double teams from the defense and allowing things to open for the other Bucs WRs and TEs.

For us, the replacements surely haven't even come remotely close to replacing VJ. Meachem has been an ultimate disappointment so far and is looking like a waste of $26 million as is Royal. Even though we can't place all the blame on our WR corps, there has been times this season where even when Rivers gets time, he is not able to hit the WRs; either because they don't get open, or because they drop the ball when they have walk in TDs or because they are too fast and Rivers simply does not have the ability to hit WRs that fast in stride.

With VJ, Rivers had someone who was big and fast so Rivers was able to just throw it up for VJ and let him make the catch and then let VJ use his speed to make plays with his feet and pickup yardage.

However, this is really early. Meachem and Royal may blossom once they get more time here (although it does not look it) and may even do better than VJ.

If we had resigned VJ, it would likely mean that we don't sign Meachem and Royal as well as Jared Gaither. In that case we probably could have drafted a LT and draft a pass rusher in another round or we would have had to sign a cheaper LT or trade for one.

So do you think the Chargers made the right decision in letting VJ go?
Ah.....nope