Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
Yes. That is the interesting thing about cold hard study of the facts. It allows us to cut through our preconceived biases.
no it doesn't.... stats are only one of numerous reference points when determining a person's play... stats alone can never tell an entire story...

thats why i disproved your logic with the alex Smith example... no GM in their right mind would start their franchise with Alex Smith over Eli, Big Ben, etc...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Veteran

I am somewhat of a believer in that statistic.

It is is surprising.

The problem is, Rivers does not have a top ranked defense playing with him.

That is the diff.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
ONCE again, you are unable to distinguish between performance through 8 games and a quarterbacks franchise potential. It isn't really worth debating such fine details with someone so obtuse.

Stats certainly do not tell the whole story, but they are certainly a much better window into reality than your highly subjective judgements and recollections. As you have already proven, you are highly influenced by factors which deserve no recognition in this particular study.
no GM in the NFL would draft Alex Smith over Eli, Big Ben, etc...

who cares about his stats, that INT he threw for a TD was a game killing play... on the stat sheet every INT counts the same, but on the field THAT int was a game killer...

you're attempting to debate something that isnt debateable... PR hasnt been the same, thats obvious and factual... /thread...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Rookie

I think Rivers is a fine QB maybe lost a step or 2 but overall he is good enough to get us to a Superbowl. The problem is the OL and not being able to protect him. Its hard to complete passes when you are always running for your life.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
This isn't about ranking quarterbacks. This is about the inescapable fact that Rivers has performed on a similar level as Eli and Cutler.
except for those other guys performed when it count the most, late in the 4th quarter to tie or win a game. I can careless what Rivers' QBR is. the team handed him the ball with the game on the line countless times late in games for 3 straight years and he failed each and every time. what he did early in the game (good or bad) is meaningless at that point in time.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerFanMarc View Post
I think Rivers is a fine QB maybe lost a step or 2 but overall he is good enough to get us to a Superbowl. The problem is the OL and not being able to protect him. Its hard to complete passes when you are always running for your life.
that is such a false statement it isnt even funny. the Chargers' Oline has been oh so average or at time less than average. But Rivers hasnt been 'running for his life' like people claimed on this board. As slow as he is he would be in a body cast by now if that was true. He has also made plenty of bonehead plays without pressure as he did with pressure in his face.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Native

Dont interceptions count as receptions? Rivers number of game winning drives since 2009? Eli has had plenty of them. Eli is a better QB than Rivers. He is clutch, calm, and consistant when it counts the most. I dont care about Rivers over inflated numbers because he is throwing against the AFC Worst and against prevent defenses because Philip has tossed another pick six.

Numbers rarely give a true sense of reality.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Crash Test Man

Update on Rivers in 4th quarter this year:

2 TD's. 6 Ints. 2 Fumbles.

Tell me who he is better than again??

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Hall of Famer

What QB leads in pick sixes, fumble-sixes and giveaways in our and their red zones?
I know who I think leads the NFL.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
RIP #55

Quote:
I wonder if the Giants and Bears fans are calling for Eli and Cutler to be benched?
really!?!?!

tell me what their team records are then tell me passer ratings matter