Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Norv is the one calling for our QB to roll out when he has shown that he isn't that type of player....
Clearly he lacks mobility but he was clean and a N.F.L. QB has to make that throw or have to since to throw it away. That pick was rivers all the way.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Draft This Man

The second was pressure all the way.

sean of BSX
Old 11-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
The second was pressure all the way.

The game was all but lost at that point. Rivers is the problem with this team right now. He isn't playing like any elite QB not close.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Draft This Man

How about we give him an actual LT, not a UDFA college RT? Sounds like a good plan, we've seen him with Gaither in there.

sean of BSX
Old 11-11-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
James isn't on the practice squad, he's just been a healthy scratch.
Speaking of when do you think we'll get to see Mouton.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMANCIL View Post
The game was all but lost at that point. Rivers is the problem with this team right now. He isn't playing like any elite QB not close.
You are wasting your time, you are never going to be able to convince some diehards that Rivers is ever the problem. I have been complaining about Rivers going all the way back to much of last season, and all the responses that I have read were that either the offensive line was the problem or Norv was. No point in continuing to beat your head into the wall trying to change minds. It isn't going to happen

You could put the perfect offensive line around Rivers, and if Rivers still threw interceptions, he still wouldn't get blamed. That is just the way it is. I just don't understand why there is so much loyalty towards Rivers. But then again, I never understood why there was so much loyalty to Tomlinson.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Draft This Man

The reason there should be so much loyalty towards Rivers is because he is still good, and people are convinced that getting a new QB will be easy. People think a Geno Smith will come in and be better right away, when the truth is, Geno Smith hasn't looked amazing these past few weeks. I'm convinced no QB in this draft would be better anyway. Get a Taylor Lewan, or a Chance Warmack, build the Oline up. Give Rivers a chance, we saw what happened in the first half when he wasn't getting beat up by the Bucs.

sean of BSX
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
You are wasting your time, you are never going to be able to convince some diehards that Rivers is ever the problem. I have been complaining about Rivers going all the way back to much of last season, and all the responses that I have read were that either the offensive line was the problem or Norv was. No point in continuing to beat your head into the wall trying to change minds. It isn't going to happen

You could put the perfect offensive line around Rivers, and if Rivers still threw interceptions, he still wouldn't get blamed. That is just the way it is. I just don't understand why there is so much loyalty towards Rivers. But then again, I never understood why there was so much loyalty to Tomlinson.
The LOT is a problem that said Rivers is not playing like a elite QB. He lost the game today.He has to show that he can recover or when the season folds then the club will have to move him .

The defense is playing very well and as young as we are they should get better. We will have to find a CB and we should be set.The offense is the problem and Rivers tops the list right now then LOT.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:06 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The reason there should be so much loyalty towards Rivers is because he is still good, and people are convinced that getting a new QB will be easy. People think a Geno Smith will come in and be better right away, when the truth is, Geno Smith hasn't looked amazing these past few weeks. I'm convinced no QB in this draft would be better anyway. Get a Taylor Lewan, or a Chance Warmack, build the Oline up. Give Rivers a chance, we saw what happened in the first half when he wasn't getting beat up by the Bucs.
Rivers is only a good QB when everything is aligned perfectly for him. Much like the history of the Charger franchise, Rivers does not handle adversity well. That is the problem with having a quarterback that isn't agile. He doesn't have a bag of tricks that he can pull out at a given notice. All the opposing defense has to do is flush Rivers from the pocket and they have the advantage.

I don't think anyone on this roster is untouchable, especially Rivers. But I think a problem that does occur is that many fans get too attached to specific players and don't look at the big picture.

I would be willing to settle for a QB that can manage the game, but at this point I don't think Rivers is capable of doing that. One of the reasons that I like the Aggie redshirt freshman Manziel, is because he isn't a one trick pony. He is a threat to run and pass. He can move, he is agile. Granted, he isn't a very big QB and he is going to have to learn to avoid the big hits in order to avoid injury. Still, he is an inch taller than Brees.

Manziel is only nineteen years old and did handle the pressure of playing against Alabama on the road very well.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:12 AM
Draft Nut

If these numbers are accurate it is pretty hard to not see Rivers has to dial it back in order to regain his confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts
Rivers updated 4th quarter stats in a tie game or down by 8 points or less (1 score). Since 2010

Comp-92
Att -162
Yards -943
TD- 3
INT- 11
Sacks - 12
Fumbles - 6
Fumbles lost - 4

Since his last 4th quarter comeback (2011 opener against minnesota) he is
48-91 429 yards 0 TD 8 INTs 8 sacks 4 fumbles 3 lost and a 29.05 passer rating.

in the last 2+ years we have had 37 drives where we had a chance to tie or take the lead in a game in the 4th quarter. we have taken the lead 2 times (minnesota 2011, houston 2010) and tied the game 3 times (seattle 2010, KC 2011 halloween game, minnesota 2011.) we have scored a grand total of 34 points on those 37 drives and have won 2 games while losing 14.

we have committed 16 turnovers (Rivers 11 ints, 4 fumbles, tolbert 1 fumble) and have missed 3 field goals by 3 different kickers (49 yarder blocked-kaeding, 50 yarder-Brown and 53 yarder-Novak).