Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Default Time for a statement from Goodell about concussions

This was system failure, maybe system overload for the NFL. You get a big game like Sunday night, Houston at Chicago, and hope to see statements made, questions answered.

We got statements, all right. When Houston linebacker Tim Dobbins cheap-shotted Jay Cutler — in the officials’ opinion — by going helmet-to-helmet after Cutler had thrown a pass, Dobbins was allowed to stay in the game. That was a statement about NFL rules.

It should be an automatic ejection.

Cutler stayed in the game, too, and then got hit in the head again on the next play. He stayed in for six plays after that, too, before sitting out the second half with a concussion. That was a statement, too. Did the Bears think about taking him out after the first hit? Cutler reportedly has suffered six concussions in his career.

“Didn’t have any symptoms, no,’’ Bears coach Lovie Smith said. “There were a lot of hard hits out there today. You can’t start taking guys out for that. When they’re injured, then we take them out.’’

You can’t start taking guys out of the game after they take a hard hit to the head. Statement.

Good read: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/j...mething-111112

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Veteran

Doesn't look like a "cheap shot" or even that hard of a hit. Why should Dobbins be ejected? He shouldn't have even been flagged.

Cutler was over the LOS anyway, and it therefore a runner.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Doesn't look like a "cheap shot" or even that hard of a hit. Why should Dobbins be ejected? He shouldn't have even been flagged.

Cutler was over the LOS anyway, and it therefore a runner.
Agreed- ejections for blows to the head- no way.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

If anything, the hit was late. It also looks like Dobbins lowered his head and aimed for Cutlers facemask.

As far as him getting ejected over a "cheap shot", I'm not seeing it. Cutler was past the LOS, and therefore a runner.

This is just the league going overboard, trying to protect their franchise qb's.

I laughed when that announcer said "ferocious hit". Maybe for Cutler, it was ferocious, but as far as NFL hits, it was pretty mundane.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Hall of Famer

It looked like a late hit to me as I was watching the game, but like was said above Cutler was over the LOS so he was a runner.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 AM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

Just an idea. Why not have a sin bin type thing for illegal hits. If it's ruled to be an illegal hit then maybe that player has to sit out for so many plays. I don't think it could work by a team being down 1 player on the field because that seems like too much of an advantage. So say Weddle does a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless player then he wouldn't be able to go on the field for 10 plays. They'd have to put someone in to replace him. That's as well as a yardage penalty.

Fines to me seem so stupid. It's not the right type of punishment.

In most sport codes you can miss a couple of games if the penalty is severe enough. But the NFL season is so short that doesn't really work.

Sig By BoltCola
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshie4 View Post
Just an idea. Why not have a sin bin type thing for illegal hits. If it's ruled to be an illegal hit then maybe that player has to sit out for so many plays. I don't think it could work by a team being down 1 player on the field because that seems like too much of an advantage. So say Weddle does a helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless player then he wouldn't be able to go on the field for 10 plays. They'd have to put someone in to replace him. That's as well as a yardage penalty.

Fines to me seem so stupid. It's not the right type of punishment.

In most sport codes you can miss a couple of games if the penalty is severe enough. But the NFL season is so short that doesn't really work.
I think the sin bin idea is one that has merit. If you pull a starter off the field for 10-12 plays, it will impact things, which is the idea.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Experienced

It was a lazy hit, if Dobbins goes for the shot to the ribs or chest, no problem, but because he's too lazy to bend his freaking knees they hit helmets.
I've also got a problem with the reaction of Cutlers helmet, he looked like a bobble head, how loose are these guys wearing their helmets?
I'm a little concerned with how many times helmets are coming off, maybe the league needs to monitor that also.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Shock and Awe

Part of the game.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Hall of Famer

At least 2/3 of yeterday's QB injuries looked to me like plain accidents, in a dangerous game.
Ratliff tackling Vick was simply 300 pounds landing on 200 pounds.
If Ratliff's tackle forced Vick's helmet into the turf, it was accidental.
Ernie Sims may have pushed Vick and then tried to hold him up, but Vick landed badly anyway, and Sims only pushed him.
Dobbins was late, but he had to defend when Cutler behaved like a running back, and then Dobbins appeared to avoid the collision, which looked like an accident.
I didn't see the impact that ended Alex Smith's (yester)day.
If Goodell wants safer games, make it illegal to tackle, push, or touch any quarterback.