Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's on my mind???
"Chop's warpaint > Paper bags, and is Alice Cooper approved" 3 5.56%
"Here is your cat crap sandwich" 4 7.41%
Will the LPTC ride again?....And will they be fueled by bacon? 3 5.56%
When should we permaban Gooey? 3 5.56%
dekk is master of the ponys 4 7.41%
Are we there yet, and is there any Bacon left??? 14 25.93%
This thread's still here??? 23 42.59%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
esteemed internet shaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23skidoo View Post
When he has the room, and his troubled brain tells him, to step into the throw he is producing. On the run and off his back foot he is a horrible QB. There is no excuse for that roll out pick-6, none.

Norv and/or AJ will get the axe for the QB's regression, but if the team doesn't fix this O-line, it will be more of the same from Rivers. My question is when does the team look to the draft for the next QB for this team. My feeling is it better be sooner, rather than later. I can not defend River's play, there is no excuse for it, and when the team's GM says that a fumbling RB will be some else's fumbling RB, he better take into consideration a pick throwing QB, they are both playing behind the same O-line.

If there aren't big changes to this team in the near future, then I think it's safe to say that the owner is just happy to cash checks and not committed to winning a championship.

All that said, losing sucks. Let's go Chargers.
Good post, Skid. You expressed a lot of what I've been feeling about the 2012 Chargers. Somewhere, no one knows how, Philip Rivers just changed, and that makes no sense, but what other explanation is there? I don't think the line is much different. Sure, Dielman's gone, and he was everything you could ever hope for in a Left Guard. But still. It's flatout eerie how drasticly Rivers' numbers have plummeted.

I made a post a couple weeks ago; it was about how the nature of his interceptions have changed. He's to blame for them now. They're mostly on him. They're no longer diving one handed interceptions like Revis made against us that one playoff game. They're giveaways, not great defensive plays. And he's no rookie. He's a veteran. Why is he playing like this? It's unnacceptable.

I can longer say Rivers is a premier quarterback in this league. I'd even be hardpressed to put him in the top 15.

His TD/pick ratio, ever since last year and continuing to the now, is plain bad.

People who are saying fire Norv after today, well a lot of fans have wanted Norv gone. But we should be eyeing Rivers just as harshly. His completion percentage is good, but he's the one who has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory this year.

As a first round pick, Mathews has not delivered to the extent that a first round pick should. He's shown flashes, but he isn't reliable. We don't go into games saying, it's okay, Mathews will save us. It's more like, "maybe Mathews will play, who knows." So I think that is one reason Rivers may be playing so poorly. It's almost all on Rivers, and he's shaky as hell. We have a sub 500 record to prove it.

I've been thinking about Rivers' Heir a lot, too. I think it would be very prudent to scope out a replacement soon. A Rodgers/Farve situation. But really, this team is so broken all over. We need new CBs (Jammer is I believe in the last year of his contract and he's old, and Cason is another soft, inneffective bust)
We haven't drafted well. Other than Butler, our recent crop of newbies are nothing to brag too much about.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
esteemed internet shaman

never expected tom to be trill enough to watch the wire.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 PM

Want to see a disturbing stat? Here is how Philip Rivers has performed in 2012, broken down by quarter:
  • 1st Quarter: 135.2 QB rating, 67.1%, 712 pass yds, 8 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 2nd Quarter: 88.2 QB rating, 75.9%, 659 pass yds, 4 TDs, 5 INTs
  • 3rd Quarter: 79.3 QB rating, 64.4%, 354 pass yds, 1 TDs, 1 INT
  • 4th Quarter: 56.5 QB rating, 63.0%, 478 pass yds, 2 TDs, 6 INTs

Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
esteemed internet shaman

And let me get a word in on Rivers and his tragic and laughable "mobility."
It's been the source of a lot of snipes and jokes, and usually those jokes work on me.
He runs (if you can even call what he does runs) like a newborn giraffe except he isn't covered in blood. It sucks. He sucks.
The line may not be great. It isn't. But Rivers leaves the pocket too much. On the insane pick six he fled a pocket that still had some integrity.

Far too often we see Rivers hobbling laterally and consequently throwing it into the stands. This is lauded as a "good, smart" play by Rivers. Yes, it's good to not throw that into the field but that play happens too much. He resorts to that too much or he's forced to resort to that. Too many neutral plays like that. Those plays probably have saved us from worse plays, though. For real, is there a slower QB than Rivers? I don't think there is.

Quarterbacks with any kind of speed don't have to hobble laterally and give a fan a souveneir. They can make plays. Extend them into something else. Rivers doesn't have that dimension and it's a detriment and something you have to consider when blaming the offensive line.

Last edited by SD Snake; 11-12-2012 at 02:33 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekkerbasser View Post
Want to see a disturbing stat? Here is how Philip Rivers has performed in 2012, broken down by quarter:
  • 1st Quarter: 135.2 QB rating, 67.1%, 712 pass yds, 8 TDs, 0 INTs
  • 2nd Quarter: 88.2 QB rating, 75.9%, 659 pass yds, 4 TDs, 5 INTs
  • 3rd Quarter: 79.3 QB rating, 64.4%, 354 pass yds, 1 TDs, 1 INT
  • 4th Quarter: 56.5 QB rating, 63.0%, 478 pass yds, 2 TDs, 6 INTs
Clearly, we should pull him at halftime or no later than the end of the third. That should solve it
Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Snake View Post
Good post, Skid. You expressed a lot of what I've been feeling about the 2012 Chargers. Somewhere, no one knows how, Philip Rivers just changed, and that makes no sense, but what other explanation is there? I don't think the line is much different. Sure, Dielman's gone, and he was everything you could ever hope for in a Left Guard. But still. It's flatout eerie how drasticly Rivers' numbers have plummeted.

I made a post a couple weeks ago; it was about how the nature of his interceptions have changed. He's to blame for them now. They're mostly on him. They're no longer diving one handed interceptions like Revis made against us that one playoff game. They're giveaways, not great defensive plays. And he's no rookie. He's a veteran. Why is he playing like this? It's unnacceptable.

I can longer say Rivers is a premier quarterback in this league. I'd even be hardpressed to put him in the top 15.

His TD/pick ratio, ever since last year and continuing to the now, is plain bad.

People who are saying fire Norv after today, well a lot of fans have wanted Norv gone. But we should be eyeing Rivers just as harshly. His completion percentage is good, but he's the one who has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory this year.

As a first round pick, Mathews has not delivered to the extent that a first round pick should. He's shown flashes, but he isn't reliable. We don't go into games saying, it's okay, Mathews will save us. It's more like, "maybe Mathews will play, who knows." So I think that is one reason Rivers may be playing so poorly. It's almost all on Rivers, and he's shaky as hell. We have a sub 500 record to prove it.

I've been thinking about Rivers' Heir a lot, too. I think it would be very prudent to scope out a replacement soon. A Rodgers/Farve situation. But really, this team is so broken all over. We need new CBs (Jammer is I believe in the last year of his contract and he's old, and Cason is another soft, inneffective bust)
We haven't drafted well. Other than Butler, our recent crop of newbies are nothing to brag too much about.
We used to be able to say that about LT.

Even when the overall team sucked, LT would put on a show and make it fun to watch.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
esteemed internet shaman

yeah i know. man this is horrible. empty. gross. boring.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
yeah i know. man this is horrible. empty. gross. boring.
Yup, I've had no joy watching this team lately, like FA said at least we had LT when we sucked.

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
esteemed internet shaman

when i woke up two thursdays ago i didn't even know we were playing that night and i almost didn't watch. (i found out we had a game like 2 minutes before it started and i ninja jumped out of bed [yeah i was sleeping at 5 pm, deal with it.]) that's what it's come to. but i had to watch, out of instinct, and/or out of some morbid trainwreck psychological torture-based fascination. i also like wasting my time.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
when i woke up two thursdays ago i didn't even know we were playing that night and i almost didn't watch. (i found out we had a game like 2 minutes before it started and i ninja jumped out of bed [yeah i was sleeping at 5 pm, deal with it.]) that's what it's come to. but i had to watch, out of instinct, and/or out of some morbid trainwreck psychological torture-based fascination. i also like wasting my time.
Quick, Snake! Get that psych degree, hook up Rivers to a dream-machine, and see why he's dreaming interceptions late at night!
Closed Thread