Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Default Charger Story Contest - Win A Signed Mini Helmet

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's my great pleasure to announce that our forum webmaster, joelbolt, has seen fit to find us some swag to giveaway to a lucky forum member.

We're going to have a Chargers story contest, and the rules are going to be pretty simple.

Here's the deal:

We'd like to have posters submit their favorite Charger story. It can be anything related to the San Diego Chargers. Why you're a fan, a great experience at a game, meeting your favorite player, a tailgate story, just anything to do with you, and the San Diego Chargers.

Entries have to be 500 words minimum. They can be longer if you want, but they have to be 500 words minimum. We'd like to see some detailed stories from you.

The rules:

This contest is open to every registered member of the Chargers forums.

You have to post your entry in this thread.

Each entry will be scored by the moderating team. Your entry will receive a score of 1 - 10 from each moderator, and the poster with the highest combined score will be the winner of the contest.

Also, every poster who enters can earn 1 bonus point. If you post your favorite original Charger photo with your entry, you get an extra point to add to your total score. This picture must have a. you in it, or b. you took the photo. One (1) point per entry, one photo max.

The contest will be open for two weeks, so you have plenty of time to write your story.

Deadline for contest entries will be November 26th, 2012 at 12:00 midnight, PST.

The winner will be announced on December 3rd, 2012. This will give the judges a week to go over each entry, and assign it a score.

The winner of this contest will have this autographed mini helmet shipped directly to them.

Here's a picture of the helmet, signed by Eric Weddle.

Good luck, everyone!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Cool beans. Thanks to Joel and Chargertom for organizing this.

Thanks to me and pacstud for grading stuff even when we're not at work.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm 18 years old (barely). Fit, running quite a bit, playing basketball (well, sort of -- bench sitter for my High School team). Tommy Prothro has drafted some characters named Louie Kelcher and Fred Dean, and there is a smallish but amazing linebacker named Woodrow Lowe playing for the team.

It is 1978, September. Prothro is still coach, although Don Coryell will be named as his replacement on the same day as the PSA airline crash in North Park. This is two or three weeks in the future.

Within a few days, I will be departing Chula Vista to start as a freshman at the University of California at Berkeley. It is a sunny Sunday afternoon.

I don't have either transport or money to get to (and into) San Diego Stadium (had caught in the past a few Padres' games and a few exhibition San Diego Chargers' games, and a bunch of Aztecs' football games). However, the game against the Oakland Raiders is conveniently on NBC, Channel 39, if I recall correctly. It is a home game.

The first half goes quite well. 20-7, San Diego. I had lived in one place, one house, my entire life. My down the street neighbors were the Youngs. Mr. Young had by this time passed on, but Mrs. Young still occupied the house at the end of the street. When much younger, I had occasionally stopped by the Young house for stories and a bit of candy.

Apropos of this recently passed Veteran's Day, Mr. Young, who was in the U.S. Army, in the "Lost Battalion" in World War I, told me a story that still gives me the chills. It is 1918, in the cold of Fall, and the Lost Battalion is surrounded in a forest in Northern France by Germans. Harold volunteers to run a message back to Headquarters. Running through the woods, he is shot twice, but keeps running; to stop would be to die. He gets to HQ, and delivers his message. Triage being what it was, they put him on a stretcher, but left him outside the medical tent overnight. Not wanting to freeze to death, he slowly moved his fingers, toes, and his limbs, to generate enough warmth not to die.

The medical staff, to their surprise, finds him alive in the morning, and treatment is commenced. He ends up with double Pneumonia (both lungs), as well as his wounds. My father having served 3 years in World War II, and having in mind this story from Mr. Young from probably 10 years back, I have considerable respect for the Youngs. (Note: Google "Harold Spear Young" -- you will get a picture of him, in uniform).

My mother had asked me to go down to Mrs. Young's front yard, and mow the lawn. We have a lawn mower which is balky; sometimes takes a few dozen pulls to start.

As it was halftime, and the Chargers appeared to be in control of the game, I rolled the lawn mower down the street, and into the front yard of the Young house. I start it up, and as the grass is a bit overgrown, there is considerable stoppage to empty the bag filled with grass clippings. I'm not saying it was any Labor of Hercules, but it took me probably an hour and fifteen minutes to finish the job. Perhaps it took a bit longer; the memory fades over time.

Lawn mower rolled back up the street (street is on a hill, slight up slope). Then rolled down to the bottom floor, and into the equipment room. Through a door, into TV room, and the game is still blaring, even though I have left; I didn't bother to shut the T.V. off because I wanted the game going when I came in.

Stabler is retreating from a ferocious rush from Woody Lowe, and Lowe in fact has him in the grasp. Stabler flips the ball forward, underhand. There are two logical calls at this point: sack, Stabler in the grasp; or,
intentional grounding, Stabler. As this is the last timed play from scrimmage of the game, a peculiar logic takes hold with the officials, which is, to let the thing play out. Another Raider fumbles the ball forward (Banaszak). Dave Casper pushes it over the goal line, and falls on it. The referees signal: Touchdown, Oakland. It is now 20-20.

Hoping against hope that the Point After Touchdown kick can be blocked.
The KGB Chicken (later the San Diego Chicken) is waving his arms behind the goalpost, trying to distract the kicker. The kick is good. 21-20, Oakland. There will be no Overtime. The Chicken collapses over a railing.

The team of '78 finished 9-7. 10-6 would have been good enough to make the playoffs.

In my childish logic, I figured that mowing the lawn at the Youngs' house, for no reward other than gratitude, would in some way seal the victory for the Chargers, who were leading 20-7 as I gunned the motor on the mower. This game was a little lesson that good does not always triumph over evil.

I have no photo. I have seen many seasons, some of them quite successful, some forgettable. I have put on weight, gotten out of shape, managed to marry and have a son. However, at least I am raising him right: with an inherent hatred of the Raiders. Beyond that, there is nothing to be said.

Last edited by Raider Disliker; 11-13-2012 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: Historical Accuracy; Spelling
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Awesome story. I was at that game- was 5 years old. It was the first, and possibly one of only a half dozen other times, that I heard my father swear. And he swore loudly and repeatedly in the direction of the officials. I remember not really understanding why, but knowing that the Raiders must be evil. Why else would my dad and uncle be so upset? The next day my father and uncle both called the NFL league offices and complained directly to Pete Rozelle's secretary.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM
boltsfan85

2001 training camp all the buzz was about a certain guy from texas we took in 1st round out of TCU and a quarterback with an obvious birthmark smack on his face lol. Me and my Buddies waited after practice several hours waiting for LT to come out to get some graphs. Finally after everyone is gone we saw guy with plain ol white bolts tee and some shorts with messenger bag waiting out front of Charger HQ waiting for a cab. We werent sure wether he was a player or not. During this time we see Drew coming out with his fiancee on other side parking lot. Walk over ..Nicest guy ever. Signs all of our stuff and takes some pictures. We ask him if LT is still inside. He laughs points at the guy getting in the cab and says " thats LT getting in cab" :/ we made our move too late. Drew and his fiancee had a good laugh. LT had been waiting for a cab for a good 20 minutes not a single person asked him for graph or pic LMAO!!! I still have the mini helmet Drew signed " Dave , Go Chargers, Drew Brees 9" ill see if i can upload a pic later Good Times
Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 PM
boom.

EDUB. Betta get writin', y'all. I will win this.

Click Me
Old 11-12-2012, 10:24 PM
^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

I do want that mini helmet. I got no good stories though. I'll have to make a mediocre story sound good haha

Sig By BoltCola
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Draft This Man

Fo sho will be writing up quite the long entry. Had a pretty interesting path to fandom of football at all.

sean of BSX
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Moderator of the Goo

2 good stories guys. Keep em comming.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Veteran

My son (9 years old at the time of this story) and I collect signatures from Charger players whenever we can; it's our "father/son hobby". We go to training camp every year, golf tournaments, charity events, etc. So when Junior Seau opened up a Seau's restaurant in Temecula, the family and I drove up for the grand opening in hopes of meeting Junior and getting a couple signatures.

We sat down in the restaurant and had a nice dinner, then waited for Junior to come out so we could meet him. He came out maybe a half hour after we were done eating and sat down at a table with a few of his friends.

Junior would get up from his table every so often and walk around the restaurant, asking people if the food and the service was good. He cruised around, shaking hands, signing autographs, and saying "Hey Buddy!!" to everyone, like he always did. He'd go back and sit with his friends for a while, then get up and make his rounds again.

On one of his trips around the place, Junior stopped at our table and signed a few things for us. He signed a couple 8x10's and a '94 Chargers team photo for us, and a 55 jersey for my sister-in-law.

Excited to finally meet Junior, we ordered dessert, gathered our stuff, and got up to leave. Just as we get to the door, my son says he wants a picture with Junior, so we go back inside to find him.

By this time, Junior had already sat back down with his friends and was having a conversation. I told my son and his little sister to wait until he was done talking, and not to interrupt him. Of course, the boy listens well, and walks up to the table anyway to ask for a picture. Junior, never able to say no to kids, says "sure, Buddy!!" and gets up to take the pic with him.

So my fiancee' grabs her phone and takes what we think is gonna be a great picture, but something went wrong and the pic never came out. The screen was totally white. Junior thought this was funny...he looks at the kids, points to his teeth, and says "it was these. see why it's important to brush twice every day?", laughs some more, and sits back down with his friends.

Not wanting to bother him for another picture, we thanked Junior and headed home. The picture never came out, but we got a few minutes of Junior's time and a funny story out of it.

Last edited by The Other Guy; 11-24-2012 at 04:54 PM..