Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Rivers will never be a Brady,Montana,Eli,ect type clutch QB.Some guys have it.Rivers needs quality role players(LT,VJ,Sproles) and a good Oline to be sucessful.
Can Rivers lead this team a SB win?
I really don't think he can w/out a very good run game,much like Troy Aikmen w/ Emmitt.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
Hall of Famer

I want to see how Rivers does under a new coach. One who can get Rivers to straighten up his play.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM
"Stay Classy SD" my butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrabucoWR View Post
Let me start by saying I'm just as ready as the rest of you to see Norv gone. But how much blame can he take when his QB, who begged for him to return, is absolutely killing us in these games? At this point I'd replace Rivers before Norv, and I don't think AJ should be on the hot seat at all in the midst of all this. And after I've had Rivers's back for all these years and constantly defending him when people would bash on him, I can't stand him anymore. Just too many devastating turnovers and bad throws.
I agree, but I am opposite on the Norv over Rivers situation. I would rather give up on Norv before Rivers. If a new head coach and playcaller can't fix Rivers, then we get rid of Rivers.

Our WRs are getting open.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Norv is not a good head coach by a long shot he is a good offensive coordinator but nothing else
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan85 View Post
The horse is dead!!!
Perfect, it does not feel the beating, which is the required therapy for the patient.

TIM TEBOW FOR PRESIDENT!

GREAT JOB MR. SPANOS! I fully support the hires of Tom Telesco and Mike McCoy. You can count on this fan being in the stadium.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
< Need new refs anyways

It is impossible to speak to Rivers apologists.

When he makes plays that are MIND BOGGLING STUPID, it's someone else's fault.

It's like Billy Madison at this point -- we are all more stupid for having listened to these responses.

Fire both. If you keep either Rivers or Norv, we will not go anywhere. Not ever.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Most,are blind sheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcowner View Post
You can replace Rivers' name with a number of other players and positions. Rivers isn't the only issue with this team.

Norv has make mistakes just like other coaches do.

I'd say it is fair for Norv to be fired but I fear that a new HC (and/or GM) could make things worse. The new coach will simply inherit the current team and its problems. Do we really think a new coach will magically fix everything? I don't. The 49ers got lucky with Harbough. We just need to be careful what we ask for.
Not all college coaches have success in the NFL, but remember, Harbaugh was a player and had familiarity with how things work. Plus he had success in the NCAA, with team that was not know for a lot of it. San Fran didn't just get lucky. Unless you mean by the fact that they were able to get Harbaugh, then I might agree.

The good/great coaches are the ones that can take what they are handed and make a plan that works with those guys. Sure, in time they will add pieces to better suite what they prefer, but until then they have to make do with what they have. Harbaugh appears to be one of those guys and there are others. It's just a matter of finding the right guy.

Norv has never shown that ability. As our talent pool appears to age and get worse, so does the team. Norv has his idea of how to do things and expects the players to have the ability, even if they have never shown that ability.

I heard someone on the radio talking about head coaches in general: He stated that some coaches look for what a player can't do...and the good ones look for what the players can do. Norv seems to be the former. His scheme does not appear to change for the players abilities, but stays on course for what he wants to happen. We obviously do not have those players. Ours are probably not as bad as they seem. They are just exposed when asked to do things that they are not suited for.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Most,are blind sheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
I agree, but I am opposite on the Norv over Rivers situation. I would rather give up on Norv before Rivers. If a new head coach and playcaller can't fix Rivers, then we get rid of Rivers.

Our WRs are getting open.
Possibly the first time I have ever agree with you.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Most,are blind sheep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Bolt View Post
Rivers will never be a Brady,Montana,Eli,ect type clutch QB.Some guys have it.Rivers needs quality role players(LT,VJ,Sproles) and a good Oline to be sucessful.
Can Rivers lead this team a SB win?
I really don't think he can w/out a very good run game,much like Troy Aikmen w/ Emmitt.
Do you see any irony that you picked 2 players that also played in a Norv scheme? The players may not be as much at fault as you think.

But trust me, I do not think AJ has done a very good job either. That Cowboy team was loaded with 1st round draft successes. Loaded! Think about it: They won a SB with Barry Switzer!?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Rookie

Yeah, Philip's the problem.

"San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers yesterday threw for 337 yards and three touchdowns in the team’s 34-24 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Rivers completed 29 of 37 passes in the contest, a completion percentage of 78.4 percent.

With that performance, Rivers became the 49th QB since 1966 to have a completion percentage at 75 percent or above with 35 or more passes in a game his team lost.

Rivers was also the fifth such quarterback to reach these numbers this season. The others: Tony Romo, Christian Ponder, Matthew Stafford and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Five QB’s reaching these numbers in a season ties the league mark, which was set in 2007.

Rivers also became the fifth quarterback since 1966 to have multiple games with a passing completion mark above 75 percent with a minimum of 35 passing attempts in a loss. Brees and Brett Favre top the list with three. John Elway and Jeff Garcia join Rivers with two such games."

The best thing that ever happened to drew brees was leaving san diego. I suspect it would be a big plus for Philip as well. IMHO, the entire organization $ucks. Please, do us all a favor and let him go.