Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

Its all part of The Norv's master plan!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post
Totally valid point. Vick has been in danger of getting benched for weeks now so it's hard to understand why Rivers seems to be off the hook. Sure Rivers is more talented than Whitehurst but right now Rivers has to be one of the absolute worst QBs in the league in the 2nd half of games.

Heck, Cassell yesterday drove the Chiefs to a game tying drive inside of 2 minutes in Pittsburgh. Rivers hasn't had a successful gametying or gamewining drive since the Houston game in 2010 (33 games ago).

Rivers has played like a top 5 QB in the 1st half of games but we might pick in the bottom 5 of next year's draft if he keeps throwing [B]backbreaking INTs in the 4th quarter of games.
At least we would get Joeckel so he wouldn't have any excuses next year.

We would also be able to secure a very good corner or pass rusher in the top of the 2nd.

Worth considering.......
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Melissa the Magnificant

I love Rivers but those numbers are awful. It's the "how" the turnovers happened that concern me most. The fumbled snap in KC last season. The multiple INTs against the Donks and then the worst INT I have ever seen in my life this past Sunday. All of them were bonehead decisions/plays.

I think Rivers can get out of the funk. He has played some really good football this season - for example the first half of last Sunday's game. But then he goes and messes things up.

I think Rivers hasn't been benched because of Norv or due to his relationship with Norv (someone else said this in an earlier post); because they know Whitehurst isn't the answer; and because Rivers has those periods of excellence that give hope that he is breaking out of his funk.

Last edited by plcowner; 11-13-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Old 11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Native

Obviously he has nobody or nothing to fear when making these bone head decisions. He can say screw it, throw a few picks, lose the game, and know he can tell Norv to take a hike. Rivers needs to be held accountable for his actions. I cant believe he has been that bad. Disgusting. He really needs to be benched.

Man this season sucks. At least it looks like the defense is moving in the right direction. Just one solid pass rusher away from being a dominant force.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

some of you guys aren't watching the games!

Is Thy Holy Norv out there fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions???
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Rookie

Crazy stats you posted BoltBacker, want to recant that position that one player can't lose a game in 60 minutes? I would agree with you but quarterback is one position that can really affect the outcome of a game, more so than any other position.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

I am not making an excuse for Rivers, not at all. I merely pointed out facts. The facts as you say don't lie. 40 INTs are worrisome and there is no excuse for it. I agree with that.

My point is, what has happened to Rivers? Why has he regressed so much and will another QB do any better? The answer to that question is NO! We have seen very good QB's be benched because of their INT problems. Vick has a horrible O-line and I feel sorry for anyone that is QBing with the Cards!! How can any QB show talent if they don't have time to throw? Last time I checked football was a team sport, not a one man show. The O-line is a BIG part of that team that AJ Smith has overlooked.

The last point I was trying to make is that Norvs play calling worked when we had a solid O-line. Norv thinks that kind of play calling will work now and it has proven time and again it does not. He changes it, and it works in the first half. For some reason he goes back to the old Norv play calling in the 2nd half and that's all she wrote.

I can't make an excuse up for Rivers and I won't. I am just saying that I see more of the problem than just Rivers!
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

The O-line theory would hold so much more water if Rivers' INTs were occurring due to pressure/hits. He is making terrible choices away from pressure and with a clean pocket.

If he is so rattled he can't make good decisions even with a clean pocket, then we can argue chicken and egg all day long and we'll still have an omelet throwing the ball.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
The O-line theory would hold so much more water if Rivers' INTs were occurring due to pressure/hits. He is making terrible choices away from pressure and with a clean pocket.

If he is so rattled he can't make good decisions even with a clean pocket, then we can argue chicken and egg all day long and we'll still have an omelet throwing the ball.
^^^^this^^^^^

I keep saying I wish I could find the stat, but someone on the radio not too long ago pointed out that Rivers has some of the worst stats in the NFL for a QB with a clean pocket to throw from.

And throwing the ball right to defenders, making horrible reads, horrible decisions, none of that has anything to do with a poor OL. Do I think our OL needs help...yes! Do I think the unit is the main cause for Rivers having 40 turnovers...not at all.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Moderator of the Goo

On that gimme pick, that Rivers threw, you can see he was scared of getting hit. Even though Rivers was a good 3 steps away. All he should have done was stop and throw, instead of jumping off his back foot and trying to lob the pass. He held on to the ball a split second more when he was throwing it forward. It's just as bad or worse than when he was trying to throw the ball away, and threw it to the defender back in 2010.