Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Draft This Man

All aboard the Lewan train!

I'd love for Gaither to stay healthy, but that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon

sean of BSX
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
  1. Taylor Lewan, Michigan, 6'8" 309 lbs
  2. Chris Faulk, LSU, 6'6" 325 lbs
  3. Luke Joeckel, Texas AM, 6'6" 310 lbs
  4. Brennan Willaims, UNC, 6'7" 315 lbs
  5. Oday Aboushi, Virginia, 6'6" 310 lbs
  6. Jake Matthews, Texas AM, 6'5" 305
Updated Rankings:
  1. Luke Joeckel, Texas AM: Joeckel has been so dominant this season that he is almost boring to watch. He rarely gives up pressures, let alone sacks. Against all but the most elite of opponents (Alabama), he has successfully shut down his man cold. And it's not as though he's had an easy slate. This season, he has had to match up against Sam Montgomery, Corey Lemonier, Margus Hunt, and an assortment of Crimson Tide pass rushers (he also effectively shut down Alex Okafor in 2011). What's more surprising is how effective he's been in the ground game. The Aggies have run behind him often and with great success this year, which wasn't the case in 2011. In my opinion he's a much better prospect than Matt Kalil and is at the top of my big board for the Chargers.
  2. Taylor Lewan, Michigan: Lewan has shown me exactly what I wanted to see this season in terms of improving his game. His kickstep looks better, as does his second level blocking. Despite some completely myopic reports to the contrary, he was pretty stellar to start the year against Alabama (he got beat once in the entire game and was dinged for a bogus holding penalty). He's also had great performances against Michael Buchanan, William Gholston, and the talented Notre Dame line. He's looking like a top 16 pick who I would love to have on this team. He has the makings of the all too rare "complete" left tackle, who can run block as well as pass protect.
  3. Eric Fisher, C. Michigan: A lot of people are going to have Jake Matthews higher on their boards, and that might be fair overall, but if we're talking strictly about left tackles then I think Fisher needs to be #3. He has terrific length and athleticism for the position, while still demonstrating an ability to get low and block well in the running game. He hasn't played much tough competition, but that can't be held against him too much; you can only beat the man lined up in front of you. Unlike the two listed above, he is not a guy I would be comfortable having start at left tackle right away, but there's no reason physically why he shouldn't be able to develop into that role. He might be a guy that lands in the middle of the first due to need at the position but I think he's a fringe 1st round prospect.
  4. Oday Aboushi, Virginia: I'm really high on Aboushi and believe he will go late 1st/early 2nd when it's all said and done. He has pretty close to ideal size for the position and makes up for a lack of elite athleticism with sterling technique. His hand use and strength impress me. At times, speed rushers will get the corner on him, but simply can't disengage from his hands on their chests. Whenever you see that, it's a good indication that the tackles hands are massive and powerful. Furthermore his run blocking has taken a jump from 2011, proving to me that he's a guy who could do quite well at right tackle as well as left. If we miss out on a LT in round one, Aboushi is a guy I'll be pulling for in the 2nd round.
  5. Jake Matthews, Texas AM: Matthews is tricky because, while I think he deserves a first round grade, he's not an ideal left tackle prospect to me. He doesn't have ideal length for the position, and lacks the elite foot speed to make up for it. There are worse athletes playing LT in the NFL today, but in a perfect world he stays on the right side. All that said, he's demonstrated great technique and strength in his hands to deal with players like Barkevious Mingo and Jackson Jeffcoat (2011). I'll say this for him: if the Chargers drafted him, they would have a great right tackle and a guy they could trust to man the left in a pinch should the starter be out.
  6. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma: Johnson has been a nice surprise in 2012. He's underdeveloped in his technique, but his natural ability is pretty evident (has only been playing OT for a couple of seasons). He would certainly be a project for the team that drafts him, but he has a higher ceiling than most of the middle round tackle prospects.
  7. Ricky Wagner, Wisconsin: Pre-season, I thought we were going to have another Gabe Carimi on our hands (i.e. an obvious RT only). However Wagner has looked a lot more finesse than I expected, which isn't good for his stock at all. He clearly isn't the athlete that a team would want starting at left tackle, but he also isn't the bulldozer that Badger tackles typically are in the running game. I see him as a swing tackle at the next level until he gets stronger.
  8. Xavier Nixon, Florida: Nixon has always been cursed with that dirty word "potential." That being the case, he's a project. His mental lapses are still evident, even in an improved 2012 campaign. He just doesn't see to have the toughness to hold up against top competition (Damontre Moore destroyed him early in the season). For that reason, a bad start to a game usually leads to a terrible performance overall. A project certainly, with some upside, But I would stay away.
Note: Chris Faulk is missing the year with a knee injury and almost certainly returning to school. Brennan Williams is also out for the year, and is a pure RT prospect regardless. Seantrel Henderson is finally playing, but also clearly looks like a right tackle only prospect.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Good call, IMO, Kemp, on Fisher and Matthews. I could actually see us taking Fisher at our current draft slot of 13, from what I can discern. I also like Fisher's attitude. Or, if we turn to defense instead...because I believe those top two OTs on your list will be gone before then...and perhaps Fisher too, then I'd be looking at either a CB if Milliner is there...or perhaps Banks, or the ILB from Notre Dame if we maintain the 3-4 going forward to replace Spikes, and then hit the OL afterward. NT is also a possibility, and both Williams and Jenkins may be the target, but I really don't think we go that way at all right now.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Just wondering what you think, Kemp, of taking Warmack if those top OTs are off the board?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey Dean, Happy now?

The logical direction to go in this draft is offense. Particularly offensive line. Looking ahead at the schedule we may very well go 6-10, 7-9 placing us in the #8-#16 range in the draft.

Luke Joeckel is having a monster year and is sure top 10 pick. Now given the deep pass rush class this 2013 and the NFL teams' propensity to draft them early I'm thinking OT Taylor Lewan will drop to our laps.

We need to get this guy.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Draft This Man

Love Lewan, would be very happy if we got him.

I love Warmack, but I'd rather shore up other areas earlier.

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortalWombat View Post
The logical direction to go in this draft is offense. Particularly offensive line. Looking ahead at the schedule we may very well go 6-10, 7-9 placing us in the #8-#16 range in the draft.

Luke Joeckel is having a monster year and is sure top 10 pick. Now given the deep pass rush class this 2013 and the NFL teams' propensity to draft them early I'm thinking OT Taylor Lewan will drop to our laps.

We need to get this guy.
Unless the Bills take a QB, they'll take Joeckel, in my estimation. The Rams have two No. 1 picks, and they also are going to take an OT with one of them, probably their first No. 1. And, Carolina also needs an OT, so I highly doubt either of Joeckel or Lewan drop to us. We'd have to really fall into the top 10 to get a chance, IMO. That's why I was wondering about Warmack.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Draft This Man

Bills have a really underrated Oline, so they'd best look other places first. I think Carolina still has a lot of money in Gross.

I don't think either falls to us, but I hope we can get one of them.

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Hey Dean, Happy now?

Well I was thinking that since there are a lot of "sexy" defensive picks that can be had in the top 10, along with 2 top QBs to be had by either Raiders, KC, Buffalo, or Jax. Just my unscientific thinking.

You got Barkley and Geno Smith.

Then on defense: (off the top of my head)
Jonathan Hankins
Star Lotuleilei
Barkevious Mingo
Sam Montgomery
Jarvis Jones
Jonathan Jenkins
Manti Teo
Bjorn Werner
Eric Reid (remember how high Mark Barron went?)
Dee Milliner
Xavier Rhodes
among other defensive talents that may be too good to pass up.

There's a good chance we get Lewan IMO. As much as I'd love to take one of those defensive guys listed I think it would be a complete waste. Watching the Bronco game it is clear what our team needs the most.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Bills have a really underrated Oline, so they'd best look other places first. I think Carolina still has a lot of money in Gross.

I don't think either falls to us, but I hope we can get one of them.
I have a feeling we are going to be picking in the top 10 this year JH. 6-10 seems very likely unless Gaither is miraculously cured of whatever ails him.

We should be able to get a very good LT prospect if that's what we want.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson