Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 27,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
^^^^this^^^^^

I keep saying I wish I could find the stat, but someone on the radio not too long ago pointed out that Rivers has some of the worst stats in the NFL for a QB with a clean pocket to throw from.

And throwing the ball right to defenders, making horrible reads, horrible decisions, none of that has anything to do with a poor OL. Do I think our OL needs help...yes! Do I think the unit is the main cause for Rivers having 40 turnovers...not at all.
I do in fact believe the O line is an issue. It's gotten into PRs head so even when there is a pocket to throw from his mind is telling him he's out of time. This goes back to 2010 and the loss of MM. Now he's lost Dielman, Clary has been an issue and Gaither is out again.

Now there is no way of telling for sure. But we start the rebuild process by fixing and improving the O line and we see where we go from there. Whether it's Norv or some other HC we won't know what the issues are with PR until the O line is fixed.

Norv also needs to step up and get PR to shut the hell up on the sidelines. Helling at the HC no matter what he's saying is not acceptable. Perhaps PR is way to comfortable with Norv. Whatever Norv needs to prove he's in charge.

I think this weekends game may answer some questions regarding if the team still believes in Norv and PR. If so a comeback is still possible. If not we're done for the year.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM
RAWDOGG's Avatar
RAWDOGG RAWDOGG is online now
RIP #55
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CHARGER COUNTRY
Posts: 13,776
Default

Rivers definetly is being pressured by ghosts
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
AnthonyVP27's Avatar
AnthonyVP27 AnthonyVP27 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
If Rivers needs an absolute clean pocket to throw from every single time he drops back then he isn't an NFL QB in the year 2012.
Exactly my thoughts...DL's are extremely athletic nowadays...it seems the evolution of the quarterback position is demanding mobility...just a second or two gained through some scrambling, and Rivers would be a top five guy...the coaching staff no doubt could see this...but the adjustment?...maybe the knees aren't up to the task...
__________________
"Norv's not a politician. He spoke the truth"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 27,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVP27 View Post
Exactly my thoughts...DL's are extremely athletic nowadays...it seems the evolution of the quarterback position is demanding mobility...just a second or two gained through some scrambling, and Rivers would be a top five guy...the coaching staff no doubt could see this...but the adjustment?...maybe the knees aren't up to the task...
Food for thought. Scrambling Qbs are dropping like flies due to injury and other non-productive issues. Obviously it's a plus if the Qb is mobile. But throwing from the pocket and being successful there is a big key.

Vick, Cutler, Rottenburger, Smith are all more mobile than PR and all are injured or otherwised benched. Newton's having a difficult time in Carolina. RG3 is now struggling.

In the mean time a 36 year old pocket passer is still playing and in 1st place. Old man Brady who is not exactly Mr. Mobile is not doing so badly either.

Making the right decision >> being mobile.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
AnthonyVP27's Avatar
AnthonyVP27 AnthonyVP27 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 260
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Food for thought. Scrambling Qbs are dropping like flies due to injury and other non-productive issues. Obviously it's a plus if the Qb is mobile. But throwing from the pocket and being successful there is a big key.

Vick, Cutler, Rottenburger, Smith are all more mobile than PR and all are injured or otherwised benched. Newton's having a difficult time in Carolina. RG3 is now struggling.

In the mean time a 36 year old pocket passer is still playing and in 1st place. Old man Brady who is not exactly Mr. Mobile is not doing so badly either.

Making the right decision >> being mobile.
I gotcha...but I'm talking the Brees and Roger and Luck type of ability...where the game is played within the pocket but the QBs athleticism can buy them a few seconds when the offensive line is unable to...
__________________
"Norv's not a politician. He spoke the truth"
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is online now
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 10,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVP27 View Post
I gotcha...but I'm talking the Brees and Roger and Luck type of ability...where the game is played within the pocket but the QBs athleticism can buy them a few seconds when the offensive line is unable to...
NFL Network had one of their Top 10 shows on the Top 10 Mobile Quarterbacks of All Time. They went to great lengths to explain that "mobile" is not the same as "running".

Proving the point, they had Dan Marino on the list. Could sense the rush, slip a tackle sometimes, then make a good, quick decision and get the ball out (successfully).
__________________
Chargers Fan

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource


Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Bolt Cola's Avatar
Bolt Cola Bolt Cola is offline
Fatherly advice
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Temecula
Posts: 12,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
NFL Network had one of their Top 10 shows on the Top 10 Mobile Quarterbacks of All Time. They went to great lengths to explain that "mobile" is not the same as "running".

Proving the point, they had Dan Marino on the list. Could sense the rush, slip a tackle sometimes, then make a good, quick decision and get the ball out (successfully).
Didn't see the Show, but was Steve Young on that list?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 11-14-2012, 03:43 PM
charger1_sj charger1_sj is online now
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Jose
Posts: 27,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyVP27 View Post
I gotcha...but I'm talking the Brees and Roger and Luck type of ability...where the game is played within the pocket but the QBs athleticism can buy them a few seconds when the offensive line is unable to...
Rivers used to hang in the pocket and did have a pretty good presence about pressure, reading the D and the quick release. Nowadays is a different story.

Right now my theory is that he has lost confidence in his O line, partly because he got hit so many times starting in the 2010 time frame. Now we see a scared PR and his footwork is a mess. When he sets up he's still deadly accurate and we've seen that. When he's under pressure whether real or percieved he stinks out loud.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 PM
BitterFan's Avatar
BitterFan BitterFan is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Rivers used to hang in the pocket and did have a pretty good presence about pressure, reading the D and the quick release. Nowadays is a different story.
I remember this, even when the o-line was breaking PR would still hang in the pocket and deliver the ball to his receivers, taking the hit. I remember the game he ripped up Balt. defense for like 400+ yards. During that game Rivers was getting killed by the blitz. I was watching highlights of him and my he is a completely different QB now. It is painful.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM
TipRoast's Avatar
TipRoast TipRoast is offline
21st Century Schizoid Man
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Point Loma
Posts: 333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Old man Brady who is not exactly Mr. Mobile is not doing so badly either.
One advantage Brady has that's very seldom mentioned is this: he's played his entire career behind an offensive line coached by assistant head coach Dante Scarnechhia.

The o-line personnel changes, sometimes on a weekly basis, but they do a pretty good job of protecting Brady. I attribute it to coaching and restocking. Belichick invests high draft choices on the offensive line: Mankins and Solder are 1st round picks, Vollmer was a 2nd rounder. Recently retired Matt Light was a 2nd round pick. Dante has a lot of input on who gets selected for the offensive line - he and BB have a pretty good idea of what skills are needed to be a successful offensive lineman.

Put Rivers behind the Patriots o-line, and I expect his turnover rate would go down quite a bit.

Last edited by TipRoast; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:35 PM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.