Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
That wasn't the challenge. I said "who says" that all of our losses would have been even worse with Whitehurst -- "blowouts" was your word. (I think that's an assumption, and I don't agree with it). You said "A, B, and C". I said, show me where they said it. You couldn't. The closest was "B" -- the coaches. I will give you that Norv, who is the coach that makes the call, thinks Rivers gives the team a better chance to win.

And my position is as follows -- it is stated on one or the other threads I cited above: Rivers clearly has a higher upside than Whitehurst. I would nevertheless sit him for a bit. I don't see any way to simply ignore that we are past the halfway point in the season, and our QB has FOUR TIMES as many turnovers as TD's in the Fourth quarter.

Get his attention. Show him some accountability. Heck, put a chip on his shoulder. Then bring him back and see if he does a better job of taking care of the football. If so, great. If not, then we know we have a serious problem. That's why I came to this forum, to see, if we do have a problem, what is coming up through the ranks.

[/hijack].
And as I've said, if you think that benching Rivers is the key to getting his mind right, I understand. I don't know if I agree, but I understand.

But you also seem to be saying that Charlie Whitehurst gives us the best chance to win. That's what I'm arguing against.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM
< Need new refs anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
And as I've said, if you think that benching Rivers is the key to getting his mind right, I understand. I don't know if I agree, but I understand.

But you also seem to be saying that Charlie Whitehurst gives us the best chance to win. That's what I'm arguing against.
Nope. I just don't like the assumption that we will get blown-out with our back up. Seems to me like an NFL team should have a backup competent enough to manage a team when needed. If we don't then that's another problem.

[/hijack]

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Nope. I just don't like the assumption that we will get blown-out with our back up. Seems to me like an NFL team should have a backup competent enough to manage a team when needed. If we don't then that's another problem.

[/hijack]
Only about half of the teams in the NFL have quarterbacks that consistently win. It's beyond rare to have two. If you take a sub-500 team and downgrade the QB situation, things aren't going to get better, they're going to get worse. I'm sorry that you don't like the assumption that we would get blown out with Charlie Whitehurst starting, but it's a rational assumption.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM
< Need new refs anyways

. . [/hijack] . .

Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Hall of Famer

It's amusing watching the desire to have the last word and the desire to get out of this discussion vie against one another.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
< Need new refs anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
It's amusing watching the desire to have the last word and the desire to get out of this discussion vie against one another.

Yep. You wanted the last word. So I gave it to you.

But do not mistake that for me desiring "to get out of this discussion".

I would be more than happy to continue this discussion on one of the many other threads I cited above, where the discussion of whether to sit Rivers had been brought up, and which are not in forums dedicated to the college players coming up through the draft

Last edited by LongTimeOCBolts; 11-16-2012 at 02:15 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Veteran

I'd like to get my .02 cents in, as a season ticket holder who's been to every home game the past couple of years, (as opposed to sitting in front of the TV, and is seeing what the screen shows)!!
I for one, am sick and tired of seeing Clary's tackle side break down time and time again. I don't know how anyone can call him serviceable. When Harris is in, we have to give his side help, when Clary needs just as much help on basically all passing plays.
That also takes away from the available receivers on any given play. As sick as some people are of Rivers, I'm just as sick of watching Clary's play. Also on the pick 6, he didn't have to tackle the guy, all he had to do was push the guy out of bounds.
Most of the reasons for Rivers decline the past 2 years is the OLine play. So that is the GM"S fault.
Seriously, he could have at least invested a couple of 2nd round picks the past 2 years, on OLinemen. Especially considering the type of pass plays called in Norv's offense.
Just like the signing of Jackson, which he could have accomplished a couple of years ago, at a much lower cost. This is the TEAM that A.J. assembled, he deserves most of the blame!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
4th and Hooters

Stop this nonsense.

Rivers is an elite QB, probably top 5 in the league.

Furthermore, Rivers success is tied directly to Norv. Not only would getting rid of Rivers be a huge mistake, so would getting rid of Norv. Rivers would have to learn a whole new system, which takes 4-5 years, and he would regress. Right now he's playing lights out, I can't fathom what would happen if he played WORSE than he is now. Stay the course.

Rivers and Norv are Chargers for life.

Can you GUARANTEE that bringing in a new QB/Coach will lead to a Super Bowl victory? If not, then it makes no sense to get rid of them.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:17 AM
#Rivers4MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
Stop this nonsense.

Rivers is an elite QB, probably top 5 in the league.

Furthermore, Rivers success is tied directly to Norv. Not only would getting rid of Rivers be a huge mistake, so would getting rid of Norv. Rivers would have to learn a whole new system, which takes 4-5 years, and he would regress. Right now he's playing lights out, I can't fathom what would happen if he played WORSE than he is now. Stay the course.

Rivers and Norv are Chargers for life.

Can you GUARANTEE that bringing in a new QB/Coach will lead to a Super Bowl victory? If not, then it makes no sense to get rid of them.
Do we have another Chill Pill overdose on our hands!!??

Old 11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Do we have another Chill Pill overdose on our hands!!??
Nope, he's just going for that coveted award one last time.
I know for a fact (based on rumor) that Al never takes chill pills.