Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Default Jim Harbaugh Has Heart Procedure

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh was sent to the hospital Thursday for a "minor procedure" after doctors discovered he had an irregular heartbeat.

The 49ers insist Harbaugh's procedure is "not a major cause of concern; it's more precautionary," a source told ESPN. The source said Harbaugh began experiencing chest pain on Wednesday.

As it turns out, Harbaugh made an appearance Thursday at the team's training facility and practice before doctors recommended he go home, according to a team source. The 49ers fully expect Harbaugh to return to work and practice on Friday.

The NFC West-leading 49ers (6-2-1) host the NFC-North leading Chicago Bears (7-2) on Monday night at Candlestick Park.

"It's one of those things that, like coach Harbaugh always tells us, he's tougher than a $2 steak," 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis said. "We know he's going to be alright. We know we have a bunch of great coaches here that keep everything on track, and we're going to practice today as if he was here."

Team spokesman Bob Lange said no incident had occurred at the facility. Instead, Harbaugh had visited with doctors Wednesday night after feeling ill, and they advised him to have the procedure done at Stanford Hospital.

Players were informed of Harbaugh's hospitalization by assistant head coach and special teams coordinator Brad Seely during Thursday morning's walkthrough. Seely also oversaw team meetings and the afternoon practice.

Players said the news caught them by surprise.

"He was pretty good. We were slapping hands and talking yesterday," 49ers safety Dashon Goldson said of Harbaugh. "I didn't see anything. He showed no emotions. He didn't show anything like that."

Added Willis: "He seemed fine to me. He actually sat right behind me in meetings. He seemed fine. I didn't know anything was wrong. But like I said, we know he's going to be alright."

Suddenly, quarterback Alex Smith's recovery from a concussion is San Francisco's second-biggest injury concern.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/86...rocedure-heart

Get well soon, Coach.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Get better coach.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Get better coach.
+1 there are few things on earth worth dying for. Football ain't one of them.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Fatherly advice

I have always liked Harbaugh, from his days at Michigan, to running over Deion Sanders as the Colts QB, to the Chargers, to coaching USD Football... hope he has a speedy recovery.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Hall of Famer

Sounds like perhaps a pace maker. That's the only minor heart proceedure I'm aware of but I'm not a doctor.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Bolted in '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Sounds like perhaps a pace maker. That's the only minor heart proceedure I'm aware of but I'm not a doctor.
I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on TV. Remember those old ads. Harbaugh was back to work on Friday, so I wouldn't worry too much.