Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espańol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Hall of Famer

So he is doubtful for the game? I know that was a big hit he took and I'd guess it would have hurt just about anybody but man we sure aren't getting much out of this kid.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken Norv Turner on Ryan Mathews (neck strain): "I was encouraged by watching him run around. He feels a lot better and moved a lot better."
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Hall of Famer

He'll play I bet, I would hope to see Norv throw JB at them too...
Old 11-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin562 View Post
After his broken clavicle earlier this season im surprised it was just a stinger and he didnt fracture it. I never question mathews toughness. The man runs hard weather its at a corner or a linebacker he still goes fearless
That's the problem, he needs to learn how to skip hits, like LT used to do, make defenders miss... he is not going to last if he keeps doing that.

Go Bolts!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt2117 View Post
That's the problem, he needs to learn how to skip hits, like LT used to do, make defenders miss... he is not going to last if he keeps doing that.
Difference is LT was faster, had better burst, better vision, and a juke move to make people miss - all factors that allowed him to bounce it outside and get away from defenders.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Good writeup about Mathews, from Ricky Henne.

One upside Friday afternoon at Chargers Park was Ryan Mathews’ return to practice after missing the previous two days with a stiff neck.

He was listed as limited and is questionable to play Sunday according to the team’s injury report. Still, having him back on Friday was a step in the right direction.

After practice, Mathews said that his neck feels light years better than it did earlier in the week.

“It felt good,” he said. “It’s loosened up and I felt great today. I did drills and some plays and I felt real good.”

The running back sustained the injury on a vicious collision with the Buccaneers Quincy Black that ended the linebacker’s season with a serious neck injury. Mathews didn’t feel the immediate effects of the injury until after the game ended.

“It just got real tight on the plane and real sore,” he said. “That was a big hit we both took. It was real, real sore at the time so they just gave me a couple days off for it to settle down and relax a little bit…I never really (stayed away from practice) though. I’ve been going out to practice after treatment and watching it and just doing what I can to be mentally in it. I don’t think I was out for that much time for me to really get out of sync with the team. I felt good out there and I look forward to Sunday.”

So far this season, Mathews has carried the ball 112 times for 475 yards (4.2 yards per carry) and one touchdown. Historically, the third-year pro has had his strongest performances against the Broncos. Last season, he ran for a combined 262 yards and one touchdown against them.

When asked why he seems to play well against Denver, Mathews downplayed his past success against them.

“It’s nothing special, and I couldn’t really tell you why (I’ve done well against them),” he said. “I think I’ve done well against other teams too. So I couldn’t really tell you most of my big games are against Denver.”

Regardless of whom the opponent is, head coach Norv Turner was excited to have Mathews back and was pleased with what he saw out of him.

“I was encouraged watching him run around,” he said. “He feels a lot better and he moved a lot better. He went through parts of the entire practice. I’m encouraged because he’s a lot better today and he’s got two more days and we’ll see how he feels tomorrow.”

Go get 'em, Ryan!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Taking a Chill Pill

Tommy, I told you The Norv's Holy Hands would heal Matthews in time for Denver, the start of our 11 game win streak!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr1428 View Post
Difference is LT was faster, had better burst, better vision, and a juke move to make people miss - all factors that allowed him to bounce it outside and get away from defenders.

Not taken ANYTHING! away from LT, but I beleive having 3 probowl Olineman was a heck of a factor.The vision LT had was uncanny.There was no one better at setting up defenders on the 2nd level.He was increbiable at using his blocking past the line of scrimage.I don't know if this was coached into him??? or was a gift LT had.Either way,it sure wouldn't hurt to bring LT in to work w/ RM this offseason.