Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espańol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Speaking of Nnamdi, here are some players whose contracts might mean they become cap casualties this coming offseason. Listed are their 2013 salaries:

Cornerbacks:
  • Nnamdi Asonmugha, Eagles- 15M
  • Dunta Robinson, Falcons- 8M
  • Chris Gamble, Panthers- 7.9M
  • Deangelo Hall, Redskins- 7.5M
  • Ike Taylor, Steelers- 6M
  • Carlos Rogers, 49ers- 5.9M
Safeties:
  • Antrel Rolle, Giants- 7.25M
  • Quintin Mikell, Rams- 6M
  • Donte Whitner, 49ers- 4M
Running Backs:
  • DeAngelo Williams, Panthers- 4.75M
Inside Linebackers:
  • D.J. Williams, Broncos- 6M
  • Jon Beason, Panthers- 5.25M
  • A.J. Hawk, Packers- 5.2M
  • Chris Gocong, Browns- 4.55M
Offensive Tackles:
  • Demetress Bell, Eagles- 9.5M
  • Doug Free, Cowboys- 7M
Guards:
  • Richie Incognito, Dolphins- 4.1M
Centers:
  • Jonathan Goodwin, 49ers- 3.7M
  • Eugene Amano, Titans- 3.7M
Wide Receivers:
  • Nate Burleson, Lions- 4.5M
  • Steve Breaston, Chiefs- 3.8M
Tight Ends:
  • Zach Miller, Seahawks- 10M
  • Jermichael Finley, Packers- 7.95M
DE/NT:
  • Tyson Jackson, Chiefs- 15M
  • Tommy Kelly, Raiders- 6.5M
  • Antonio Smith, Texans- 6M
  • Ryan Pickett, Packers- 5.4M
DE/OLB:
  • Calvin Pace, Jets- 8.3M
  • James Harrison, Steelers- 6.6M

Now not all of these guys will be released... it's merely possible that any one of them might (and obviously there's a sliding scale of probability).

What I see here is even more reason to address cornerback in free agency. Even if we didn't go after one of those listed, they will at least flood the market and drive the cost down.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Nnamdi will actually almost certainly end up on this list.
Agreed 100%

What I met was there isn't a huge name all pro player on that list. Even if/when Nnamdi doe hit the free agency, he isn't going to draw the bidding war he did after leaving Oakland. I was useing him as an example.

Nice to see the list of cuts added to this discussion as well... I may not post much but ill be reading this thread.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
Agreed 100%

What I met was there isn't a huge name all pro player on that list. Even if/when Nnamdi doe hit the free agency, he isn't going to draw the bidding war he did after leaving Oakland. I was useing him as an example.

Nice to see the list of cuts added to this discussion as well... I may not post much but ill be reading this thread.
Yeah man, I understood what you meant. Mentioning Nnamdi just made me think of all the potential cap cuts.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
sdc4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Tackle: While none of our current tackles are due to hit the market in 2013, we still need to upgrade at the position. Clary's play has been up and down this year, but he's due a big bump in salary in 2013- he's just not worth it. Gaither, aside from the lapses, is a stud. But he's not durable and Harris isn't an acceptable plan B at this point. Harris lacks the athleticism for the left side and, at least for now, the power he needs to man the right. He may end up being a decent swing tackle in time but I don't want him starting at his current ability level.
  • Sebastian Vollmer, New England: When healthy, Vollmer has been the best RT in football as far as I'm concerned. He's a very unlikely candidate, but would at once make us much more effective on the right side and a lot more protected from injury on the left (Vollmer can, and has played LT and would be a much better #2 option than Harris). New England is very likely to pay to keep him and he will probably be due a huge contract regardless of who obtains his services in 2013.
  • Jermon Bushrod, New Orleans: I think Bushrod has proven in 2012 that he is not the ideal choice for a franchise left tackle. He may be better off moving to the right side where he won't be tested as much in pass protection. That said, he's still a quality player who could upgrade RT while giving us a sterling insurance policy behind Gaither. But he's also likely to cost a pretty penny.
  • Andre Smith, Cincinnati: Once Smith got in shape, he didn't turn out to be such a bad player. He's excellent in protection and decent in the running game and would certainly represent an upgrade for us. The caveat here is that there will always be looming concerns about his commitment and work ethic. He's the type of player that I would be very leary of signing to a big deal as he fits the profile of the guy that gets paid and quits. High risk/reward here.
  • Phil Loadholt, Minnesota: Loadholt has shown steady progress for the Vikings over the course of his short career to date. He's a heck of a drive blocker and has been passable in protection this season. He's always going to struggle with elite speed as many right tackles do, but his great length helps him overcome that at times where other, smaller players might fail. He would represent an upgrade at RT, but without the attractive bonus of being able to play the left side in a pinch.
  • William Beatty, New York (Giants): Beatty is a borderline starting caliber left tackle. He probably wouldn't play the right side for us, but he would at least give us one of the better backups in the league on the blindside. The issue here is that he is likely to cost more than what teams would prefer to spend on depth players.
  • King Dunlap, Philadelphia: Dunlap surprised everyone by winning the starting LT job over Demetress Bell when Jason Peters went down. He's not an ideal starter, but he would make a quality backup. Physically, he's probably the most similar player in the league to Gaither, which would be the prospect of the two of them on the same team at the same position amusing.
My Choice: King Dunlap. I think we can find an upgrade at RT in the 2nd round this year that wouldn't cost so much money. Dunlap shouldn't be expensive and would give us recourse of Gaither has to be held out.
Im sorry but im 100% for drafting an o-lineman in the first round or the 2nd.I hope they try their best to replace gaither,he sucks.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM
sdc4life

Quote:
A few things impress me.

1. The amount of work the OP put into this thread... very good well thought out.

2. The lack of league wide household names on the list. There isn't a Nnamdi or a Williams out there who every team is going to be screaming for there GM to sign.

I don't know much about these guys...

Still I think we need some vet help at CB. Jammer is getting up there in years and is clearly on the decline... he isn't declining as quickly as I expected but any day now he is going to not have it anymore. Cason hasn't lived up to his 1st round billing... but then again plenty of 1st rounder’s in the league bust. I am not ready for Gilchrist and Wright to be thrown to the wolves. One of them maybe, but not both. Cox might be a good pickup... but injury issues are major issues. It comes down to price... if we can get him on a low risk high reward deal I would give it a shot a la Bob Sanders. (I know he didn't work out but it was a cheap deal that we didn't lose anything on.)

We defiantly need a new guard… It surprises me that Vasquez is going to be one of the best on the market. Granted OL I probably the 2nd most difficult position for fans to judge (under 3-4 DL IMO.) Troutman hopefully pays off… it was a low pick but to be honest picking a guy who had near 0 chance of playing this season annoyed me. Still today he is a Bolt so I am on his side. I don’t think I want any rookie starters on the OL if it can be avoided. River I to immobile and old to be the victim of the learning curve. (And whether I like it or not I think he is the QB for at least another season because we aren’t drafting high enough to get a top rookie and I suspect his deal would be cap hell to terminate though I need to find the details.)
The Tackle position ha been an annoying one. IMO (but I’m not a good judge of OL) Harris has played pretty good for a UDFA. Still… I am not sure I am ready for him to be a starter. He is at potential now.

Phillips is a guy I am not sure we can break the bank for with hi age. With that said Ingram will probably be put in the starting role sooner rather then later and I am ok with that. With what I am reading here if we pick someone up it will be rotational… and maybe Phillips gets resigned.

With the other notables I would like to see us place a bid for Steven Jackson. With that said I suspect he is the type of player that someone will overpay and overuse and but with… and I don’t want that to be us. The thought of a Mathews-Jackson one two punch I intriguing… With Brown or another receiving back coming in on 3rd and passing situation. With that said I while I want us to b id… I don’t think we win.
I don’t see Maualuga ending up here after legal issues.
I agree that we bring in a vet if Takeo retire/walks… but I am not sure he wants to and I think he is still a good enough 2 down linemen where he will find a job somewhere.
youre crazy if you want to let shaun philips walk.Did you see who got the saftey today?hes a top 3 playmaker on this team.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc4life View Post
youre crazy if you want to let shaun philips walk.Did you see who got the saftey today?hes a top 3 playmaker on this team.
Phillips is 31 years old... will turn 32 by the start of next season. That is a risky age to be giving contract extensions out... espeically at a posistion that takes the hits OLBs do.

If we can keep him at a good price I would like him, but if we let him walk... he probably only has 2ish years as a starter left in the league.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdc4life View Post
Im sorry but im 100% for drafting an o-lineman in the first round or the 2nd.I hope they try their best to replace gaither,he sucks.
Why are you sorry? I think everyone wants to take an offensive lineman high. Does that mean that we shouldn't look at free agency?

And Gaither doesn't suck. That's your frustration talking. When he's healthy and playing, he's one of the best pass protectors in the league. But therein lies the problem... he isn't durable.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Phillips is 31 years old... will turn 32 by the start of next season. That is a risky age to be giving contract extensions out... espeically at a posistion that takes the hits OLBs do.

If we can keep him at a good price I would like him, but if we let him walk... he probably only has 2ish years as a starter left in the league.
I think we need to make a reasonable offer to keep him and hope it's enough. If not, we better look at making a run at the other pass rushers in free agency, because we have very little depth here. Ingram figures to be a staple for the foreseeable future, but Phillips is the only other player having success getting after a QB. I'm all for drafting a pass rusher, but ideally it would be a 3rd guy to rotate with Ingram and Phillips.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Here's me dreaming: Donte Whitner, Carlos Rogers, A.J. Hawk (unless Mouton finally plays and shows something), Andy Levitre

I'd also consider a flyer on Grimes

Last edited by WootMonkey; 11-19-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

LEVITRE!!! It's not very sexy, but he's at the top of my FA wish list. Would sew up LG for the foreseeable future with a guy whose very good and getting better.