Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsteele View Post
like a broken record I will say it again.

Clay, Oher, Malauga. AJ chose English. hahahaha
Like a broken record, I will say it again:

It was reported that someone heard from someone that it was leaked from someone who heard that the Patriots were interested in English and were going to take him. Therefore the Chargers had to act quickly to get him before Belichick got him. I’m sure that wasn’t the primary decision factor, but it was reported by someone close to the Chargers, so it must have some merit.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

I will report it again: Clay was on no one's list.

Cushing, Malauga, Oher...ok (wanted all three), but Clay?

I call bull.

Sorry, I meant to just mock people by doing the same schtick but wanted to actually comment.

Oh, and English sucks, but was a late-1st round consensus guy all around.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Is it time to panic yet?

I have been to a few NIU games over the years and remember seeing English play.

Dude was great.

When he was drafted I was fired up. thought he would be able to make the transition, contribute in short order, and be a at worst a real solid player.

Of course I was a little biased since he played here, but what the heck.

In my mind I always wanted to give the guy some slack and benefit of the doubt. Was hopeful when they said he had a great camp. But man - the dude just never produced and seems to always be injured.

Sucks, but it just didn't work out too well for Larry here...
“We came out and had a ‘we will not be denied’ attitude. We fear nobody. We’re going to go out there and play for 60 minutes....we’re coming after you every single play.” – D.J. Fluker after 30- 21 win over the Cowboys.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM

Hindsight is always fun.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestBolt View Post
I have been to a few NIU games over the years and remember seeing English play.

Dude was great.

When he was drafted I was fired up. thought he would be able to make the transition, contribute in short order, and be a at worst a real solid player.

Of course I was a little biased since he played here, but what the heck.

In my mind I always wanted to give the guy some slack and benefit of the doubt. Was hopeful when they said he had a great camp. But man - the dude just never produced and seems to always be injured.

Sucks, but it just didn't work out too well for Larry here...
Have to wonder what it is? Just not ready for the NFL game? We're aware of his injury history but he's been relatively healthy the last couple of seasons, no? At least this season. I remember asking him directly during TC last year "You gonna start for us this year" and he replied "Definitely". Didn't quite work out. I recall seeing articles saying the coaches weren't happy with him in practice? Hard to say. Not every pick is going to work out but yeah, I think we all would have liked to see *something* from the guy. He had big shoes to fill but I think many would have been happy if he was just a solid starter/contributor. He's not even that.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
Have to wonder what it is? Just not ready for the NFL game? We're aware of his injury history but he's been relatively healthy the last couple of seasons, no? At least this season. I remember asking him directly during TC last year "You gonna start for us this year" and he replied "Definitely". Didn't quite work out. I recall seeing articles saying the coaches weren't happy with him in practice? Hard to say. Not every pick is going to work out but yeah, I think we all would have liked to see *something* from the guy. He had big shoes to fill but I think many would have been happy if he was just a solid starter/contributor. He's not even that.
The draft is a 50/50 crapshoot if you go back and look. Unfortunately for us AJ went through a big run on the wrong end of that 50/50.

Though I wonder if coaching/development was part of it.

Really I don't even care, let's blow it up.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
All true.

That draft produced a HUGE crop of rush end busts.

The Clay talk is silly though. Even the USC fanbase wanted Cushing and Maualuga before Clay.

Maybin is available though
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Optimistic pessimist

Quote:

The level of competition was slightly above High School but no way the caliber of FBS. It's easy to be a star when everyone else sucks.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
The level of competition was slightly above High School but no way the caliber of FBS. It's easy to be a star when everyone else sucks.
LOL well I won't go that far. Didn't he go to the same school as Turner? Maybe AJ was smitten with that fact. He seemed to be rated by most teams fairly close (i.e late 1st/early 2nd rd iirc), and I'm sure AJ relies a lot on information from his scouts as well.

Just one of those things, unfortunately that seems to happen more frequently to the Chargers. Franchise is just snakebit.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I believe Ware says you're wrong.

Buster Davis does as well.