Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: New HC Options for Next Yr?
Bill Cowher 93 28.10%
John Gruden 87 26.28%
Jeff Fisher 39 11.78%
Some Hot Shot College HC 26 7.85%
Russ Grimm 16 4.83%
Someone who hasn't been a HC before 34 10.27%
Other - name him 36 10.88%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Yeah go ahead and ignore that I've said, in this thread and others, countless times, that Norv needs to get fired. Just ignore that and freak out because I suggested that it's stupid to expect him to somehow magically call plays that overcome having scrubs on the offensive line.

Just because Norv isn't the head coach for us doesn't mean everything in every game is his fault. I don't expect fans to want to keep him, but I do expect (probably setting myself up for disappointment here) that they will think critically about what they're seeing rather than reflexively blame Norv for everything.

Or am I wrong? Are Mike Harris, Rex Hadnot, Tyronne Green, David Molk, and Jeromey Clary every play callers dream when facing the best pass rush in the NFL? Maybe they're secretly all-pro linemen and that dirty, despicable NORV is coaching them to look like fringe NFL talents.
I don't disagree with your comments on the whole. I don't think Norv is doing a good job, for a variety of reasons, but there's no doubt that the O-Line play makes it difficult to win.

I do think Norv has difficulty adjusting on the fly. It's just not one of his strong suits, imo. One area I thought he was very good at was in diagramming screens, which is why I was surprised we didn't see much of that during the game.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyToBolt View Post
I don't disagree with your comments on the whole. I don't think Norv is doing a good job, for a variety of reasons, but there's no doubt that the O-Line play makes it difficult to win.

I do think Norv has difficulty adjusting on the fly. It's just not one of his strong suits, imo. One area I thought he was very good at was in diagramming screens, which is why I was surprised we didn't see much of that during the game.
And he really isn't; I would agree with you. I just don't think it would have mattered yesterday. In my opinion, the reason for the limited amount of screens and their lack of effect was Denver's ability to get pressure in a hurry with four, while having the majority of the rest of their defense play shallow. So the short passing game and screen game was constantly being thrown into traffic. Had we been able to protect at all, we could have made them pay by hitting a big play over the top (they limited coverage deep), but we couldn't keep their pass rush in check for that sort of thing and they knew it.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
And he really isn't; I would agree with you. I just don't think it would have mattered yesterday. In my opinion, the reason for the limited amount of screens and their lack of effect was Denver's ability to get pressure in a hurry with four, while having the majority of the rest of their defense play shallow. So the short passing game and screen game was constantly being thrown into traffic. Had we been able to protect at all, we could have made them pay by hitting a big play over the top (they limited coverage deep), but we couldn't keep their pass rush in check for that sort of thing and they knew it.
And, let's not forget that for a screen to work, technically one or more OL are involved as blockers...one or two of them have to get out front and block for the receiver. If they can't block for the QB, what's to make anyone think they can get out and block on a screen?
Old 11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran

Chucky will take us to the promised land! Or bring back Marty!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Isn't Reid just Norv with a fat suit on? Yeah he's made it to a superbowl as a HC but he does a lot of really STUPID things with his offense. I honestly would rather have a more defensive minded coach this time around to be honest. I'd also rather not have a HC that calls the plays, other areas suffer too much when that happens or at least it has with this team.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
When Deano sends me my mod check I will get this info to Norv. We will right this ship via chill pills and screens.

Based on previous suggestions, we are also considering hiring a blind man as our next head coach.
Good. I can start hoping for some winning games again.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yeah go ahead and ignore that I've said, in this thread and others, countless times, that Norv needs to get fired. Just ignore that and freak out because I suggested that it's stupid to expect him to somehow magically call plays that overcome having scrubs on the offensive line.

Just because Norv isn't the head coach for us doesn't mean everything in every game is his fault. I don't expect fans to want to keep him, but I do expect (probably setting myself up for disappointment here) that they will think critically about what they're seeing rather than reflexively blame Norv for everything.

Or am I wrong? Are Mike Harris, Rex Hadnot, Tyronne Green, David Molk, and Jeromey Clary every play callers dream when facing the best pass rush in the NFL? Maybe they're secretly all-pro linemen and that dirty, despicable NORV is coaching them to look like fringe NFL talents.
Im not ignoring anything.
I presume in your second paragraph you meant to say "Just because norv IS the HC for us" instead of isnt.

Norv doesnt have what it takes to be a winner. Plain and simple. Ive know that, along with many others, for years now.

The thing is, no matter what the issue is, it all comes down to norv and AJ. How much goes to each, we cant know. But you gotta know for sure that Norv has input into personnel choices and influence on at least some of AJ choices.

I also think the record against teams who have their OC and HC one and the same, is pretty piss poor, none of them making the playoffs.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Anyone who believes in a west coast offense
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Draft This Man

It still is one of the better draft day trades, we got picks for a player who would have never played for us.

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Draft This Man

What is the appeal of John Gruden? I mean seriously, yeah, he did well in Oakland, but once he got to TB, he rode Kiffin's D to a SB and never did anything afterwards.

sean of BSX
Closed Thread