Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I'm still undecided on Thomas and want to see him start more games. Most of their success on the ground yesterday came on the outside because they had no problem sealing Phillips. That's not on the NT. And I came into the game expecting that they would sell out to stop Peyton and that McGahee might find some room because of it. Cam brings a lot of pressure up the middle for a NT, so if we could get him servicable in the running game he would be worth starting IMO.
Fair enough.

Hope we get to see the kids play a lot in the upcoming games. Cam, Green, Mouton, Wright, Reyes, Ingram...
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran

we have to draft two OT between round 1 and 4 and atleast one CB in the first 3 rounds
3a C reese dismukes or C hroniss grasu
3b NT danny shelton
4 WR dorial green beckham
5 OG tre jackson
6 OT trenton brown
UDFA: TE blake bell
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgecasasSD View Post
we have to draft two OT between round 1 and 4 and atleast one CB in the first 3 rounds
I don't think corner is a must have. I agree with Kemp's suggestion that the FO look at picking up a vet corner in FA and hope Wright/Gilchrist live up to their billing and step up next year.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 11-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
I don't think corner is a must have. I agree with Kemp's suggestion that the FO look at picking up a vet corner in FA and hope Wright/Gilchrist live up to their billing and step up next year.
Pretty much. If we didn't do anything in FA at the position, then we would have to take a corner high. But there is going to be a fairly good, large group of free agents so I don't see why we would put ourselves in that position. Wright looks like a starter to me, so if we sign one on the market then there's two. Gilchrist stays at nickel and we draft one in the middle rounds for depth. Heck, I wouldn't mind signing TWO veteran corners this offseason (like maybe, Derek Cox and Leodis McKelvin?).

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Hall of Famer

It all depends on who the GM is if we draft O-line or not in the first
Old 11-19-2012, 02:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
It all depends on who the GM is if we draft O-line or not in the first
While I do believe he deserves to be let go, I think the notion that Smith won't draft an offensive lineman in the first round is a myth.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Pretty much. If we didn't do anything in FA at the position, then we would have to take a corner high. But there is going to be a fairly good, large group of free agents so I don't see why we would put ourselves in that position. Wright looks like a starter to me, so if we sign one on the market then there's two. Gilchrist stays at nickel and we draft one in the middle rounds for depth. Heck, I wouldn't mind signing TWO veteran corners this offseason (like maybe, Derek Cox and Leodis McKelvin?).
I'd pass on McKelvin.

There's VERY few CB's that are going to hit the market that are even worth starting. Derek Cox and Grimes may be the only two, and i'm even thinking that Grimes doesn't get to that stage.

I'd rather take OT in the early stages of FAs. A guy like Bushrod would work well with us just as a Swing OT, and draft a guy in the top 4 rounds to be the replacement at RT, which is much easier to find.

Ever since LBC put the idea into my head, i keep thinking that this team would HEAVILY benefit from a OL switch to a ZBS. Its made a lot of other bad running games successful (Wash, Miami, KC, Hou), and honestly right now, the only two guys on this OL that i would say aren't replaceable, are Hardwick and Gaither (when healthy, but we do have to prepare for him not being healthy, but definitely not replace him), and Hardwick is better in a ZBS, and Gaither is more than capable. It eliminates Green from pulling which he is absolute crap at, and makes him a servicable RG probably. We add in an OG in the top few rounds and we're set on the OL.

CB isn't necessarily a top need right now. Gilchrist is a solid Nickel. We'll hopefully get a chance to see Wright play at one of the CB spots at the end of this year, and i think he has what it takes to be a very solid outside CB, especially in our off-man scheme. Jammer isn't really all that bad, but he's not a guy that should be a teams top CB anymore.

I think that a combo of Wright/Jammer with a 2nd/3rd/4th round draft pick thrown in there wont kill us, and we can develop the draftee (a guy like Terry Hawthorne/Justin Gilbert would be amazing). After that Jammer can move to SS (Really not a bad idea, he came out and said he's wanted to in the later years of his career)

I'd say right now we need, in the top 4 rounds....an OT, OG, CB and a explosive pass rusher.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
I'd pass on McKelvin.

There's VERY few CB's that are going to hit the market that are even worth starting. Derek Cox and Grimes may be the only two, and i'm even thinking that Grimes doesn't get to that stage.

I'd rather take OT in the early stages of FAs. A guy like Bushrod would work well with us just as a Swing OT, and draft a guy in the top 4 rounds to be the replacement at RT, which is much easier to find.

Ever since LBC put the idea into my head, i keep thinking that this team would HEAVILY benefit from a OL switch to a ZBS. Its made a lot of other bad running games successful (Wash, Miami, KC, Hou), and honestly right now, the only two guys on this OL that i would say aren't replaceable, are Hardwick and Gaither (when healthy, but we do have to prepare for him not being healthy, but definitely not replace him), and Hardwick is better in a ZBS, and Gaither is more than capable. It eliminates Green from pulling which he is absolute crap at, and makes him a servicable RG probably. We add in an OG in the top few rounds and we're set on the OL.

CB isn't necessarily a top need right now. Gilchrist is a solid Nickel. We'll hopefully get a chance to see Wright play at one of the CB spots at the end of this year, and i think he has what it takes to be a very solid outside CB, especially in our off-man scheme. Jammer isn't really all that bad, but he's not a guy that should be a teams top CB anymore.

I think that a combo of Wright/Jammer with a 2nd/3rd/4th round draft pick thrown in there wont kill us, and we can develop the draftee (a guy like Terry Hawthorne/Justin Gilbert would be amazing). After that Jammer can move to SS (Really not a bad idea, he came out and said he's wanted to in the later years of his career)

I'd say right now we need, in the top 4 rounds....an OT, OG, CB and a explosive pass rusher.
McKelvin wouldn't be signed as a starter, but as depth and for his return ability. There are more 2013 FA corners with starting ability, and the number will be added to once teams start cutting players against their cap ceilings.

Bushrod isn't going to sign anywhere for less than starter's money so we aren't going to be able to sign a guy like that as a swing tackle. King Dunlap is a more realistic option.

I hate zone blocking schemes. If we switch to one I will be pissed. And I don't believe that those two are as good of fits as you imagine.

Our draft priorities are pretty similar though. It's our FA ideas that differ.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Draft This Man

Dunlap is a reason Mike Vick sucks so much this year. He's terrible.

sean of BSX
Old 11-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
McKelvin wouldn't be signed as a starter, but as depth and for his return ability. There are more 2013 FA corners with starting ability, and the number will be added to once teams start cutting players against their cap ceilings.

Bushrod isn't going to sign anywhere for less than starter's money so we aren't going to be able to sign a guy like that as a swing tackle. King Dunlap is a more realistic option.

I hate zone blocking schemes. If we switch to one I will be pissed. And I don't believe that those two are as good of fits as you imagine.

Our draft priorities are pretty similar though. It's our FA ideas that differ.
And why is that? ZBS seem to yeild the best running games nowadays......

I wouldn't mind Dunlap, i guess i'm just underrating Bushrod, haven't seen him play too much.

We dont need another CB that cant cover that has return skills. Gilchrist is a great KR man, and we have plenty of solid options at PRer, notably Royal if he's ever healthy, a guy like Jordan Poyer added to that in the 2nd round, is just as good as a PR/KR man. Plenty of CB's in this draft who are great return men, including Hawthorne.

HOnestly, at this point, if we dont see anyone like Lewan, Joeckle (who i'm not 100% convinced of anyway), Milner, or i'd even throw Mingo/Jones/Lotulelei/Hankins into that group, i'd hope we trade down, for either Fisher or BPA at one of those 4 positions.

If we're not going to get an elite player at the top 15 phase at a position of need, its not worth picking there, i say trade down, grab and extra 2nd and run with it. A GM like Floyd Reece would be a big component of that.