Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Hall of Famer

PR needs a new coach with a new scheme, and a new O line. I think he could still be a good QB, but right now he is getting killed. When he has no pressure he is playing scared IMO due to getting killed, and he feels pressure that's not there. I would not mind drafting a QB in later rounds, but I want beef on the Oline with our first pics and maybe some free agency moves as well. I am not ready to completely give up on PR.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUBfan View Post
Rivers is the poison. No mobility. If you lined up all 32 starting QB's in a foot race Rivers would come in dead last. Anyone disagree?
It's not the greatest O line...ya gotta move! And he can't get it done.
Rivers ain't bad moving IN the pocket actually. He climbs the pocket and in the past has been one of the better guys in the league playing in a 'dirty pocket'. Not this year though.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Rookie

If you recall back to the good days, when we had an oline that could run block worth a damn, and Rivers had time in the pocket we were pretty damn good, defenses couldn't just play the pass all day long... now teams can play 3 or 4 in the box and we still can't run the ball.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince67 View Post
PR needs a new coach with a new scheme, and a new O line. I think he could still be a good QB, but right now he is getting killed. When he has no pressure he is playing scared IMO due to getting killed, and he feels pressure that's not there. I would not mind drafting a QB in later rounds, but I want beef on the Oline with our first pics and maybe some free agency moves as well. I am not ready to completely give up on PR.
I agree 100% with this statement... PR is our QB and he needs an Oline that can give him time
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicsteele View Post
I was watching the normal Sunday morning NFL shows flipping between ESPN, FOX and CBS and I was amazed at how much they were all making fun of Rivers. He was the butt of many jokes on each network. This morning listening to the radio and watching ESPN it has gotten worst. When Rivers is supposed to be the face of your franchise and has become the biggest joke in the league how can any owner not blow this whole team up today? Isn't there any self respect left for the San Diego Chargers?
I also remember that Eli was the butt of lots of jokes after he made the claim of being an Elite QB before the start of the 2011 season after having thrown 25 ints the year before. Their chatter doesn't mean a thing.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Hall of Famer

We have a Qb that is in panic mode. He smells pressure even when there isn't any. His reaction is to run right, if he can. There is no way to fix it until he gets confidence in his O line back. So fix the O line and then fix PR. Won't work the other way around.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by volley6870 View Post
If you recall back to the good days, when we had an oline that could run block worth a damn, and Rivers had time in the pocket we were pretty damn good, defenses couldn't just play the pass all day long... now teams can play 3 or 4 in the box and we still can't run the ball.
Well, outside of 2006, and to a lesser extent 2007, the Chargers O-Line hasn't been worth writing home about. The highest they have been ranked was #15 in 2010 (last decent year for Rivers). Outside of 2010, they have been in the upper or lower 20s, meaning not very good. Then again, Rivers used to have weapons in VJax, an in-prime Gates (when healthy) and especially Sproles (and LT) catching passes out of the backfield and picking up blitzers.

Here's a scary stat (CBSSports), Rivers has now thrown 34 interceptions in 26 games. Leaf only threw 36 INTs in his miserable four-season career (35 games played). Leaf also played with a horrible O-line. He was sacked 31 times in 11 games in 2000 when he threw a career high 18 picks. Rivers has been sacked 26 times in 10 games this season.

Last edited by ChargerBlue78; 11-19-2012 at 06:33 PM..
Old 11-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Something is fishy. RIVERS almost looks like he isn't trying at times or that he is playing poorly on purpose
Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
I hate my Username

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story...-philip-rivers

Am I allowed to ask for insider articles? Or at least can anyone tell me the gist of what's covered?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Hall of Famer

O'line was terrible today, but Rivers is still playing like he is panicked IMO. He leaves the pocket early at times, and also throws the ball away when he is not under pressure. I think the bad O'line play is screwing with his head now.