Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
If somebody needs a CB bad enough Milliner from Alabama will go top 5 if he comes out. Don't see another CB going before pick #20 maybe later than that.

We actually need an elite NT, just not so sure the two guys available fit the bill and our bigger need is O line.
I'd argue that OT, OG, OLB, and CB all out weigh NT in terms of need. So while I'd love another JWall I just don't see it unless the guy is an absolute sure thing.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
Really though, at the end of it, who makes the most sense? There is really no proper source. Anyone can get it right (or wrong) whether fans, analysts, gm's, coaches, owners, or whatever. I like reading what the fans say during gametime because I know for a fact they're watching every down. When I see a string of threads going #^}%#*]+^| (insert athlete here) it does give an idea of what they're going through lol.

NT at #9 is quite bad, and you can go with Fisher/Matthews there but that's a high pick for either of them. None of the CB's this draft I'd take in the top 10. If Lewan and Joeckel are gone, I'd check for a pass rusher, but a quality NT will help the pass rush and bolster the run defense. I don't know much about Hankins, but he might be the glue the front 7 needs just like Sopoaga in SF. If both of those OT's are gone, I want the best player to fill a need, and the team has plenty of needs.

As far as the QB's go, if the Eagles pick #6 right now, I wouldn't waste a pick in any QB except Geno.
You're right, no one can know for sure. But you can make educated guesses. And my guess that the Eagles won't draft an OT unless Peters is really done is informed by draft history and team's tendencies to only draft a tackle that high if they truly need a franchise LT and they believe that the player they're selecting is that franchise LT. Sometimes players taken that high start elsewhere (Andre Smith, Robert Gallery) but that's never the intention.

As an aside, Walterfootball isn't any more credible than a mock that someone on the CMB does. If that was really the board when we selected, I would take Bjoern Werner.

Also, you might not waste a pick on a QB if Geno is gone, but recent history shows that GM's tend to reach for QB's in the top half of the draft.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
I'd argue that OT, OG, OLB, and CB all out weigh NT in terms of need. So while I'd love another JWall I just don't see it unless the guy is an absolute sure thing.
There are no sure things when it comes to the draft and a similar argument can be made about OLB. We should go OT and heavy on O line. But who knows?

I would make the argument that if we don't get the elite OLB in the first we should skip it in the 2nd and pick up a OG or CB instead (assuming we get our OT in the 1st).

Then again there is always our favorite position......safety.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
There are no sure things when it comes to the draft and a similar argument can be made about OLB. We should go OT and heavy on O line. But who knows?

I would make the argument that if we don't get the elite OLB in the first we should skip it in the 2nd and pick up a OG or CB instead (assuming we get our OT in the 1st).

Then again there is always our favorite position......safety.
You mean CB? Sammy, Cason, Gilchrist, Wright, Cro, Hughes...

For as much as AJ has invested in CB the state of the position is pretty pathetic
Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You mean CB? Sammy, Cason, Gilchrist, Wright, Cro, Hughes...

For as much as AJ has invested in CB the state of the position is pretty pathetic
Our favorite position is safety (the fans not the GM). That's why we're always moving somebody there.

Agreed about CB though.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Our favorite position is safety (the fans not the GM). That's why we're always moving somebody there.

Agreed about CB though.
Bah. Should have known!
Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Colossal Ruvall

Offensive Line should be first pick. But depending on how we finish, in all of my biased ideas, I'd love to see Manti Te'o in a Chargers uniform to take over for Takeo.

Unfortunately, OL, CB are the pressing needs at a glance. Followed by QB, TE and DT.. positions that have been solid in the past but are starting to raise those first doubts.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Draft This Man

I don't believe much in Te'o as a 3-4 ILB. He's improved in coverage, but still not to the level you want IMO.

sean of BSX
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Citing a message board as your source is typically not all that good. There a lots of people like me who have no idea what they are talking about.

Also that mock you have linked has us taking a NT at 9. #imjustsayin
Johnathan Hankins is way too good to pass up here. Plus, it's not like the Chargers can't stand to find help on the defensive line. Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't very good to begin with, will be a free agent in March.

This is why WF sucks.

sean of BSX
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Johnathan Hankins is way too good to pass up here. Plus, it's not like the Chargers can't stand to find help on the defensive line. Nose tackle Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't very good to begin with, will be a free agent in March.

This is why WF sucks.
LOL. Exactly what I thought when I saw that.