Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
What? No Bull? This is an outrage! (Oh wait that's someone else)

Though, I figured we would pile on Bull apon Bull till we couldn't stand the pile.
Then again. the Chargers have pretty much piled it up pretty high already.

BTW: Don't get me wrong. He did throw in the towel. I just agree with him doing it in that instance. But I don't agree with throwing in the towel for Whitehurst. I will say this though. If they did and he won, I would have double helping of crow.
LOL. How can we keep talking about Bull when Princess Bride is on the mind?

On a more serious note, now Jason Campbell, AFTER being blown up repeatedly by the 49'ers; after being knocked senseless requiring a stoppage of the game; and Gruden calling it a "car wreck" and saying that he should be really, really pissed at his O-line; did what? Stepped back up, and under pressure threw an extemely nice TD.

Like I said, it is not inconceivable that these things can happen. I'd prefer at least trying to watching us continue to beat our heads against the wall with Rivers. (I would like to see him return to the game after a brief sojourn, to see if we've got his attention by the way).

But something's got to give! Doesn't it? See here:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=96337

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Moderator of Delusions

Love the Princess Pride.
Classic flick.

Hey we can use a line from that movie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
LOL. How can we keep talking about Bull when Princess Bride is on the mind?

On a more serious note, now Jason Campbell, AFTER being blown up repeatedly by the 49'ers; after being knocked senseless requiring a stoppage of the game; and Gruden calling it a "car wreck" and saying that he should be really, really pissed at his O-line; did what? Stepped back up, and under pressure threw an extemely nice TD.

Like I said, it is not inconceivable that these things can happen. I'd prefer at least trying to watching us continue to beat our heads against the wall with Rivers. (I would like to see him return to the game after a brief sojourn, to see if we've got his attention by the way).

But something's got to give! Doesn't it? See here:

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=96337
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Hall of Famer

At one point, I was on board with the benching of Rivers, heck I was even on board with possibly drafting a new QB...But regardless of what anyone says, he gives us our best chance to win and also gives us the best chance to lose it seems like. Rivers boneheaded mistakes are probably not going to stop. Is it acceptable? No. Is Rivers the main problem? I used to think so, but now I am looking at things more objectively and clearly see that he is not the main problem but yes he does play a part in it. A lot of people want him gone but he isn't going anywhere. I am not defending Rivers absolute terrible picks he throws when he has time. I am not saying he isn't a mess right now. Because he clearly is. But I don't think Whitehurst is the answer.

This whole offense is out of sync and yes it starts with Norval who controls this offense. Rivers, the wide receivers, RB's, offensive line, are all struggling right now. This offense is mostly a mess due to Norval. The vertical passing scheme is not going to work with a bad o-line, a struggling QB, and the receivers we have. Norv clearly does not want to shorten up the passing game, nor does he want use Meachem and Royal properly. And then you mix that in with his terrible predictable play calling and you are going to get a mess. Norvs inability to make adjustments during games is a major part of our offense deteriorating by the second half. Teams are making adjustments and we simply are not. Our o-line wears down by the second half of games if you watch closely. The play calling feeds right into the defense and then the QB starts to make mistakes out of desperation although some of Rivers decisions are flat out stupid. Norv does not use our running backs wisely and puts our offense in really bad positions.

The game plan against Denver was just mind-blowing. And it took Norval about 3 quarters to figure out Clary needed some help.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Are any of you folks that think that no matter what Rivers does, or how many times he turns the ball over, he must not, and I mean absolutely MUST not, be benched ---- watching the Bears / 49ers tonight?

Kaepernick -- a back up quarterback -- has been pressured by the Bears repeatedly, and yet is still escaping, dumping balls OB, or hitting targets while on the run.

Yes, imagine that -- a backup QB, under a ton of pressure, destroying the best (or second best) defense in the NFL.

Several of you appear to think that it is "inconceivable" that this could happen -- but it is not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sLhnDJJn0
I just now don't know. Rivers to me has been a fiery, passionate, give it all type player. But seeing him walk off the field with seconds left on the clock made me shake my head. True, the oline played horribly, and Rivers was under pressure, but you can see it in his body language, he's just not the same. It's not good. Honestly Whitehurst is not the answer. I just don't know.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
I just now don't know. Rivers to me has been a fiery, passionate, give it all type player. But seeing him walk off the field with seconds left on the clock made me shake my head. True, the oline played horribly, and Rivers was under pressure, but you can see it in his body language, he's just not the same. It's not good. Honestly Whitehurst is not the answer. I just don't know.
Fair enough.

Good post.

Personally, I'd like to bench Rivers to see if it gets his attention (in a SERIOUS way); or if by some chance Whitehurst delivers. From my perspective, I can't watch the same thing again, and again, and again, especially when each time it gets a little worse -- like the walk-off you noted above, and I'd like to try something different. But I can understand those who are uncomfortable with this.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Rivers has sucked it up plenty -- but it's still ridiculous to think he should be benched for Whitehurst. Rivers has been too good for too many years to exemplify how good he is by making it worse with Whitehurst.

Go look at how well Cutler plays when he's getting sacked 40+ times a year vs. how he's been doing this year, then get back to me. Rivers is making some of the same boneheaded kinds of mistakes Cutler (or any other QB) makes when getting pressured like this. They are still stupid mistakes. He HAS been a big part of many losses this year (a few last year, but not like this year). But seriously -- if we can keep what we have going on defense and miraculously shore up this Oline (might not be until next year, who knows) -- you just don't give up on that (a franchise QB) ever. Unless a guy is near the end of a career, or injured and in doubt...see Brees/Manning (two teams were desperate and it paid off, and the Colts had another 10 years of hope in the draft).

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Comparing him to Cutler is not helping your cause.

I LOVED having Cutler on the Broncos, because I always knew the game was not out of reach for us. He could be counted on for a couple of bone headed mistakes in the 4th quarter to help get us back on track. I honestly don't know if his 4th quarter fiascos were ever as bad as Rivers' has been for the last year, though.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
4th and Hooters

The problem is that Rivers is making horrible plays even when he's not under pressure. Or if he is, he's making the worse possible play. The pick-6 vs. TB, there's simply no justification for that. MANY have called it one of the worst interceptions they've ever seen. The pick last week vs. Denver, he had a nice clean pocket--threw it right to the guy.

Sure the protection has been a real issue, but it's more than that as well.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!