Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
...how do you trade the a guy coming off an MVP season? I think thats pretty unheard of.
Yea, maybe wait one season.

I know Frank Robinson was traded in the middle of his career and he was an MVP and hall of famer, dont know how it turned out for the other team, but thats how he got to Balitimore.

Many great players have been traded, Kareem, Rod Carew...

Im just saying at the time I thought it was a good idea, and turns out it would have been, but also very unpopular at the time, but if you bring a super bowl, all those things are forgotten.

As for details, I dont know.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorotheajn View Post
I'm a Saints( & chargers fan) and were thrilled when he was signed by the Saints but - yes Saints took a major gamble on him. But Brees also took a major gamble on the Saints. The state of the organization gave the word rebuilding a totally new meaning. The city was a mess, the dome was damaged, the head coach and starting QB fired. The team had been playing in San Antonio and various college stadiums and didn't even have their own facilities the previous year.

Loomis, Saints GM, has been quoted as saying that by the time they signed Drew, Brees couldn't even lift his arm over his shoulder. What they really gambled on was his track record of turning adversity into success by hard work. Yes - Dr. Andrews told the team that it was a very bad injury - but he also said that if anyone could overcome THAT, it was Brees because of his workethics and determination and the fact that he had a better understanding of his mechanics than most QB's due to all the work he did to improve his throwing motion and footwork, after PR were drafted.

Chargers really didn't have enough time to evaluate Brees medically before they had to chose how much they would invest in him since Brees became a free agent before he was even able to throw a football. The team had a major investment in PR and while Chargers should have known what kind of person DB is, it was easier to "play it safe".

Saints were looking for a leader, for the team and for the city, and felt that they would get that with Brees. Time has proven them right. I hope for Charges sake that PR can work through the problems he is going through right now, so that one day these two teams will meet in a Superbowl. That would be a great game to watch !!!
Im not sure what the major gamble on the Saints part was.
I know about the money, but still.

think about it, when you spend a top no 1 pick on a QB, not only are you risking the money and having him be a bust, ala cryin ryan, but you also gave up that pick you could have used on getting a top notch player.

So, I think its less of a risk than when picking a QB in the first round, cuz you have to pay them gobs of money too, ala cryin ryan
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
VJ wanted a long term deal. He wouldn't of signed anything less IMO. Plus it was an uncaped year yes? Big risk in signing someone long term without knowning where the CBA would go.
Sounds like most of the risks AJ took have turned out to be busts, and the ones he didnt turned out to be risks he should have taken.

Thats adds up to bad choices and risk taking by a GM = Doing a bad job = getting fired.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Bolt View Post
Are you kidding me,
The only person to blame for the Brees situation in SD was MARTY!!!

Marty was the HC that had his starting QB playing in a pointless blowout game when he got hurt.
Norv has played PR in meaningless games. Nobody has bat an eye. Are you saying Marty should have known Brees was going to get hurt. If not then where is the outrage with Norv?
Old 11-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
VJ wanted a long term deal. He wouldn't of signed anything less IMO. Plus it was an uncaped year yes? Big risk in signing someone long term without knowning where the CBA would go.
Ridiculous argument since they signed Gates 3 weeks later with the CBA still in question.

Bottom line the Chargers did not want to sign VJ to a long term contract for whatever reasons. That's the story right there.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post

think about it, when you spend a top no 1 pick on a QB, not only are you risking the money and having him be a bust, ala cryin ryan, but you also gave up that pick you could have used on getting a top notch player.

So, I think its less of a risk than when picking a QB in the first round, cuz you have to pay them gobs of money too, ala cryin ryan
It was a huge risk to get Brees. He had a major surgery that most QB's in the past wouldn't have come back. The Saints had nothing to lose. Like the saints fan said, it was a gamble. It would have been easier to draft a player that you can coach in your system. Brees struggled his first couple of years with NO. I find it funny how you reference a qb that was before Brees, instead of one that was drafted In 06 the year Brees went to NO as ayoung example. Someone like leinart, or young.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORjr. View Post

Another ridicuous argument. The Saints had to guarantee Brees gobs of money with no guarantee he would even ever be able to throw the ball. Huge gamble on their part with huge risks. Huge risks lead to huge rewards only when they work out. The risk the Saints took was even bigger than drafting a Qb in the first.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Ridiculous argument since they signed Gates 3 weeks later with the CBA still in question.

Bottom line the Chargers did not want to sign VJ to a long term contract for whatever reasons. That's the story right there.
Also the Chargers were not sure the commish, and legal system was going to decide on Jackson. That's why they tagged him.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
It was a huge risk to get Brees. He had a major surgery that most QB's in the past wouldn't have come back. The Saints had nothing to lose. Like the saints fan said, it was a gamble. It would have been easier to draft a player that you can coach in your system. Brees struggled his first couple of years with NO. I find it funny how you reference a qb that was before Brees, instead of one that was drafted In 06 the year Brees went to NO as ayoung example. Someone like leinart, or young.
Brees did not struggle in his first years in NO. He threw for over 4000 yards in each of his first 3 seasons there with Qb rating average of over 93, he only got better as the Saints offensive weapons got better. The Saints did struggle but it was because of their D not Brees.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM
All-Pro

I'm tired of people saying that we should have kept brees. In hindsight, yes we should have. But when you have a qb who has been decent his whole career and then had one good season with a serious shoulder injury versus a top-5 pick qb sitting on your bench, would you really give brees a big contract and not play rivers? There's a reason only 2 teams even had any interest in brees, and one(miami) ruled that his shoulder wasn't healthy enough to play in the future. Have AJ and Dean made many mistakes in the draft free agency etc.? Yes. But if you look at it at the time they made the decision, not all of them are terrible decisions. 75% of people here were happy that we got meachem/royal/johnson instead of v-jax, but now we criticize AJ for not paying him, as all three of those have not lived up to expectations. So please, stop looking at everything in hindsight and look at it based on the situation that the decision was made in.