Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should the Chargers finish out the season or clean house now?
Finish the season 73 29.92%
Clean house now 171 70.08%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 AM
The Mad Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
There is no reason to wait for the team to be eliminated from the playoffs as long as they have someone else on staff that can run the offense. This team isn't performing at all well. If they have someone other than Norv currently on staff that can run the offense, then they might as well fire Norv now. That might be just the kick in the pants this team needs to get things done. It sure as heck would send a message to Rivers.

The big question in all of this has to do with whether there is someone on the staff that can take over the offense immediately? If there isn't then they are stuck with Norv and they can't fire him. If there is then Norv needs to go.
I still believe the players like Norv. It's unfortunate the way that they are showing it. But I think that kick in the pants you speak of, would lower the moral of our already mentally weak team even more. Let them end this season without more chaos and move forward when it's done.

As I said prior most of you just want someone else to look at on the sideline, which makes no football sense. I am already looking forward to this time next season, and to this mystery godsend of a coach that most of you believe will turn this team around overnight. I think Norv failed, but not more than the GM. I can only imagine what it's like to try and "motivate" a grown ass man who happens to be a millionaire playing a child's game.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM
San Diego SUPER Chargers

"Finish it out" could either mean end of season or mathematical elimination ..... I'd be for mathematical elimination BEFORE making any moves.

Who's available now vs. who might be available after the season? ....

Unless the Chargers go on a miraculous run from here, which seems pretty unlikely after the way they've been playing .... it appears the Spanos family will have some very difficult decisions to make, which will of course affect the team/organization going forward - for years to come.

While I've typically been an A.J. Smith supporter, it's difficult to ignore the overall track record of drafting and team building when guys like Buster Davis, Larry English etc. don't pan out.

It was brutal watching the OL against the Broncos .... Kris Dielman (obviously missed) retired prior to the draft and A.J. and Co. banked on Jared Gaither replacing M.M. etc ..... no OL this past draft until the 5th round? ..... it would appear with the aid of hind sight that was a miscalculation/mistake. On the flipside, there IS some talent on this team as well and A.J. & Co. deserve some credit for that as well.

It's gotta be pretty difficult to run an offense effectively or play QB well, with this OL in it's current state. Norv and Philip, while not perfect themselves, seem to have the odds of success stacked against them with the current play of the OL.

Whatever decisions the Spanos family make, I hope it will help propel the Chargers to better days and years ahead.

Go Chargers!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmacc21 View Post
I still believe the players like Norv. It's unfortunate the way that they are showing it. But I think that kick in the pants you speak of, would lower the moral of our already mentally weak team even more. Let them end this season without more chaos and move forward when it's done.

As I said prior most of you just want someone else to look at on the sideline, which makes no football sense. I am already looking forward to this time next season, and to this mystery godsend of a coach that most of you believe will turn this team around overnight. I think Norv failed, but not more than the GM. I can only imagine what it's like to try and "motivate" a grown ass man who happens to be a millionaire playing a child's game.
A coach isn't there to be liked. He is there to be respected. I think this team overall has gotten too comfortable under Norv. If Norv goes, the immediate reaction from each player should be are they next? That should be the same reaction from the rest of the coaching staff.

I don't think this team can be turned around overnight. I don't think Rivers is a franchise QB. I think they will build this team around Rivers, which could be okay for the short term, but extremely bad for the long term when Rivers is replaced. By the time all the pieces are in place for Rivers, he may no longer be viable as a starting QB. Heck, the way things are going, he might not be a viable starting QB now. That is why I want to see Whitehurst start a game, just to see what he can do. To see the reaction of the players around him and see if it is any different as compared to when they played with Rivers.

Last edited by muffindonut72; 11-23-2012 at 08:29 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawlz View Post
For me they are getting easier and easier to watch, as I just go in to each game expecting a loss. I am so emotionally uninvested in this team right now (due to our bad play and the real chance the team moves next season) that I don't feel any pain when we lose. If they move it will be painful, though pain of a different kind.

Honestly, at this point I'm not sure why I'm continuing to watch. Just out of habit, I suppose.
I feel the same way, we pretty much no its over, based on how they've been playing, although I hope I'm wrong, but just finish it out, so they have time to focus on who will take over.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
I appreciate you guys optimism about keeping the season alive, but we have no shot at our division. Our only playoff hope is that the AFC has no upper middle class at the moment, a bunch of powerhouse teams and then lowlifes like us. I would hate to see us make the Wildcard, beat some dog crap 8-8 team like the Jets only to bring back the same tired routine next year. You know Dean would love to save face and not have to write any big checks, this would be the worst case scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
If I ruled the World I would have terminated AJ/Norv on Monday morning. I'd promote Pagano to interim head coach. I'd put everyone, including Rivers and Mathews on notice they are playing for their future in San Diego, and see how the rest of the year plays out.
The day the season was over I'd cut Meachem, Clary, Harris, and the inconsistent Gaither. I'd spend the entire free agency and draft looking to upgrade the:
1. O-line
2. WR position
The defense is fine, hopefully the offense will be fine after we upgrade 1 and 2.

Meachem: I would give him training camp... I don't know all details of the contract but I am not sure about the cap hit of cutting him. Once we have enough better options I have no problem cutting him because at this point he is a free agent bust. (we aren't the only teams that have those... just ask the Eagles with NNamdi and the Bills with Mario Williams).

Clary: I am not a Clary fan and he is without question regressing... with that said you can only sign players that are available... I say get an upgrade all the time... but very few people can look at the NFL and not only say who a team needs to cut, but who can replace them... even fewer who can replace them at a reasonable cap price.

Harris: UDFA Contract... There is no reason what so ever to not consider
him for camp next season and see if he grows in what many say is the biggest period of growth in the NFL. If he gets beat out in camp then 100% we cut him an never look back. But we don't just cut him because we are upset.

Gaither: IIRC we pay out most of the guaranteed money this and next season. If we are going to pay him, we might as well give him a shot in camp next season. If he gets beaten out, as to be honest I hope he does at this point, then yes let him go and bite the salary cap bullet... LT is the 2nd most important position on offense... it is going to be tough to get one good player under contract, let alone two.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

There's no advantage in firing coaches or GM with the season in play.
I'd bench Rivers and play Whitehurst and more youngsters.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM
In Tom We Trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
If our special teams coach pays such attention to detail, why is our st's playing poorly and why is our return game still so bad?

because he's probably checked out and looking for a job like AJ and Norv will soon be doing...
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
There's no advantage in firing coaches or GM with the season in play.
I'd bench Rivers and play Whitehurst and more youngsters.
If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it is going to happen. Norv is still coaching for his job, I don't see him emptying the bench and mailing in the rest of the season.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM
God of Thunder+Bolts

I feel like I already hate the offseason. We really just need an Oline...

Resign DX, MF, Butler. Draft:

Dee Ford OLB, Jean-Baptiste CB, Daniel McCullens NT, Ahmad Dixon S, Trey Millard FB, and a (??) Percy Harvin/McCluster/Corrdelle Patterson type receiver for all purpose yards.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
If it hasn't happened by now, I don't think it is going to happen. Norv is still coaching for his job, I don't see him emptying the bench and mailing in the rest of the season.
Same here. Until the Chargers pull the plug on him, Norv is going to go with his starters, and try to make things work.