Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
I liked Aldon Smith and what attracted me most to his game was his hand use. Boy was like a ninja even in college. I did have reservations about him playing a 3-4, but I knew he had a very high ceiling as a pass rusher.

I failed on Von Miller. I think I even claimed that he wouldn't be anything more than Antwan Barnes. Lol.
My dude!

I felt the same way when I observed Aldon Smiths tapes. I remember that draft year someone mention Aldon Smith and I looked him up and I noticed he has size and his impressive multiple pass moves he has.

For Von Miller I was skeptical about him as well, but I was completely wrong. Von Miller has really grown on me the past 2 years and I just hate the fact that he is a Broncos... Both Smith and Miller will be dominate pass rushers for a long time.

I hope we hit on one with Melvin Ingram, but he needs to have starter reps to unleash!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
I have cred ! I have cred !....or is it crud ?

Every pick that has been good I picked. All of the bad ones I said to stay away from.

Here's to basking in the afterglow of something that no one is going to go back and check anyway
Hey Freak -- you need to make sure you take your meds. Or maybe just stick to the other 100 theads you put your schtick into.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-23-2012, 01:54 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Hey Freak -- you need to make sure you take your meds. Or maybe just stick to the other 100 theads you put your schtick into.
Did you just tell me to take some chill pills ?

Don't get mad, I like your thread. Draft topic, let me think...... I know one that was big and is doing pretty good for 2 teams. Atlanta and Cleveland. I said at the time that Julio Jones was really good, Atlanta went nuts watching him at the combines. He was their missing piece, as they already had Gonz at TE and Roddy White.

Atlanta moved up 21 spots to get him. I cannot argue that they gave up too much for him. 5 draft picks is crazy. Here's what Cleveland did, trying to build a young team. Taylor got hurt early on, but they liked what they saw:

This is the final tally for those picks: defensive tackle Phil Taylor (Atlanta's 2011 first-round pick), wide receiver Greg Little (2011 second-round pick), fullback Owen Marecic (2011 fourth-round pick) and quarterback Brandon Weeden (2012 first-round pick). Cleveland also used a 2012 fourth-round pick in that deal as part of the package to trade up one spot for running back Trent Richardson.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibolt View Post
Me too on Watt. I cried a little when the Texans took him.
Yeah, AJ really wanted Watt as well. On the plus side, Liuget is developing into one of the better DE's in the entire league.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
Did you just tell me to take some chill pills ?

Don't get mad, I like your thread. Draft topic, let me think...... I know one that was big and is doing pretty good for 2 teams. Atlanta and Cleveland. I said at the time that Julio Jones was really good, Atlanta went nuts watching him at the combines. He was their missing piece, as they already had Gonz at TE and Roddy White.

Atlanta moved up 21 spots to get him. I cannot argue that they gave up too much for him. 5 draft picks is crazy. Here's what Cleveland did, trying to build a young team. Taylor got hurt early on, but they liked what they saw:

This is the final tally for those picks: defensive tackle Phil Taylor (Atlanta's 2011 first-round pick), wide receiver Greg Little (2011 second-round pick), fullback Owen Marecic (2011 fourth-round pick) and quarterback Brandon Weeden (2012 first-round pick). Cleveland also used a 2012 fourth-round pick in that deal as part of the package to trade up one spot for running back Trent Richardson.
This is just my opinion, but I don't think that the Jones trade is going to work out for Atlanta in the long run. If they win a superbowl behind that offense, then obviously you'd have to say that it did, but I look at their roster and see a trade that has destroyed their depth.

Where is their roster strong outside of the starters? They have zero depth at QB (granted, not necessary), RB (Turner's aging, Rodgers has sucked), WR (no one decent behind their two studs), TE (no namers behind a soon-to-retire Gonzalez), OL (their subs names are Lamar Holmes, Harland Gunn, Phillipkeith Manley, and Mike Johnson... sounds like the Chargers' backups), DE (their starters aren't even very good, and their backups are worse), LB (their two backups are 225 lbs), and CB (losing Grimes completely sunk their "plan B" at corner).

Defensive tackle and safety are the only positions where I see them having a reasonable backup situation. Obviously keep their picks would not have allowed them to address every position, but surely some of them. To me, this team is very close to turning into the Chargers of 2010-2012. That is to say, a very good QB struggling to get to the PO's with an aging team whose most talented players have all retired or moved on.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Atlanta's window is going to be slam shut soon. Outside of Jones and Ryan, they don't have much young talent or depth. There offensive line is aging, Turner is washed up, Gonzo is still a stud.....but he is done after this year, Abraham is pushing 35.

Honestly, the Chargers may be in a better spot for the future just for the sheer fact they have more young talent coming up.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Dimitrioff is too good of a GM to let their window close. Gonzo could physically play for another 5 years if he wanted to. And they have a good OL and youth on defense. They have a pretty good secondary too. They just need an infusion of youth at RB and DL.
2. Marcus Smith _-34OLB-_ Louisville
Jon Halapio _-OG-_ Florida
4. Marcus Martin _-C-_ USC
5. Josh Huff _-WR-_ Oregon
6. Deandre Coleman _-34DE-_ Cal

7. Jemea Thomas _-CB-_ GT
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
Dimitrioff is too good of a GM to let their window close. Gonzo could physically play for another 5 years if he wanted to. And they have a good OL and youth on defense. They have a pretty good secondary too. They just need an infusion of youth at RB and DL.
That's a pretty big claim for a guy whose been managing less than 5 years. I don't see the depth or youth on this team hardly anywhere. I did forget about Konz before, but that's it as far as I can see. Their best players are old (Gonzo, Abraham, Turner, White is over 30) and they have very few good backups. If you could give me some names...

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
That's a pretty big claim for a guy whose been managing less than 5 years. I don't see the depth or youth on this team hardly anywhere. I did forget about Konz before, but that's it as far as I can see. Their best players are old (Gonzo, Abraham, Turner, White is over 30) and they have very few good backups. If you could give me some names...
Gonzo and Roddy still have a lot left in the tank IMO.

We are both looking at the same team, I just see it differently. I like their OL, love their passing game. Their secondary has two underrated safeties, their LB core is really young and becoming one of the better 4-3 LB units. Do they lack depth and youth at RB and DL, I think so. But I also think that won't be the case in 2-3 years.
2. Marcus Smith _-34OLB-_ Louisville
Jon Halapio _-OG-_ Florida
4. Marcus Martin _-C-_ USC
5. Josh Huff _-WR-_ Oregon
6. Deandre Coleman _-34DE-_ Cal

7. Jemea Thomas _-CB-_ GT
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Gonzo is retiring at the end of the season if I am not mistaken. White is nearing the tail end of his prime as a WR.

The Julio Jones trade really set them back IMO, regardless if they win a Super Bowl.