Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
You're right.

He had a great game. Why can't he just have a great game? Just ONE?

Instead, because he's an ex-Charger, it has to be marginalized and disregarded.

"He still sucks".

"It's because the Jets are horrible, not because he did anything good".

Would anyone say the same thing about a Charger that had a great game against say, the Chiefs? Nope. In fact, if someone like Cason had a similar game, people would be all over his jock. "Maybe he turned the corner", "He finally gets it" "Sign of things to come", etc.

Double standard. That's all.
Oh al. Always fighting the good fight. But who are you protesting against. The thread was started by someone saying Gregory is playing great now that he has a real coach or coaches. That was backed up by others. One person said the game was more about the jets imploding than the pats playing great. I think if you watched the game you would've seen that as well. It's hard to give up an offensive defensive and special teams td in just under a minute without a lot of help from the other team. Especially when one of the plays was the qb running into his own guy and losing the ball.

Anyway, Gregory was very opportunistic yesterday. Ball bounced his way. I don believe it had anything to do with him being coached up as opposed to when he was on the chargers.

When gregory got his pick 6 against buffalo last year i dont remember anyone saying gregory finally gets it or what a great job by the staff on that gregory int Double standard indeed.

-Mario Lopez
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
You're right.

He had a great game. Why can't he just have a great game? Just ONE?

Instead, because he's an ex-Charger, it has to be marginalized and disregarded.

"He still sucks".

"It's because the Jets are horrible, not because he did anything good".

Would anyone say the same thing about a Charger that had a great game against say, the Chiefs? Nope. In fact, if someone like Cason had a similar game, people would be all over his jock. "Maybe he turned the corner", "He finally gets it" "Sign of things to come", etc.

Double standard. That's all.
I wouldn't say he "sucks", but I would definitely not say he's more than average. I won't speak for others, but I do see your point. We're both pointing out the two sides to the same coin I guess

You don't like when ex-Chargers get bashed (incorrectly) for just doing their job.

I don't care for the "every team is better than us...see!" when any ex-player does anything.

I was really responding to the "system" remark (which you did not make). The Pats have a terrible record of late developing DBs, and are very much dependent on their offense and front seven (sans pass rush) to win games.

But definitely props to Gregory on a good game, and he did it against the right opponent.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
I wouldn't say he "sucks", but I would definitely not say he's more than average. I won't speak for others, but I do see your point. We're both pointing out the two sides to the same coin I guess

You don't like when ex-Chargers get bashed (incorrectly) for just doing their job.

I don't care for the "every team is better than us...see!" when any ex-player does anything.

I was really responding to the "system" remark (which you did not make). The Pats have a terrible record of late developing DBs, and are very much dependent on their offense and front seven (sans pass rush) to win games.

But definitely props to Gregory on a good game, and he did it against the right opponent.
Yeah. I always kind of liked him because A) He's a Syracuse guy and B) he did have some big hits. That's not to downplay the fact that he did have a lot of bad plays as well.

Honestly I don't know why I have this need to stick up for other guys. It's just one of those things that bother me. I won't say it's rational. I just don't get it. But we are probably talking about two sides of the same coin. Not a big deal. But if we all agreed all the time, how interesting would the CMB be?

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
Oh al. Always fighting the good fight. But who are you protesting against. The thread was started by someone saying Gregory is playing great now that he has a real coach or coaches. That was backed up by others. One person said the game was more about the jets imploding than the pats playing great. I think if you watched the game you would've seen that as well. It's hard to give up an offensive defensive and special teams td in just under a minute without a lot of help from the other team. Especially when one of the plays was the qb running into his own guy and losing the ball.

Anyway, Gregory was very opportunistic yesterday. Ball bounced his way. I don believe it had anything to do with him being coached up as opposed to when he was on the chargers.

When gregory got his pick 6 against buffalo last year i dont remember anyone saying gregory finally gets it or what a great job by the staff on that gregory int Double standard indeed.
You don't remember? Or it never happened?

Are those two the same thing? Hey, I'll admit I don't know, and I'm not going to dig through the archives of old posts to find out one way or the other. That's just the general sentiment I believe exists. It's my opinion, as is yours (presumably that it doesn't). Cool.

Anyway I'm not making any comment on his coaching or whatever. I don't believe there's much debate about the quality of coaching on the Patriots team, compared to that of the Chargers. At least overall. If you want to break it down by offense and defense, certainly there's comparison's there. But that's besides the point. I'm not trying to "fight" anyone or argue. I just think he had a very nice game. As pac said, why can't it just be a nice game? If he wasn't an ex-Charger, I believe there wouldn't be as many "he still sucks" comments as there are. That's all. I just don't get that thinking, so I comment on it. There always seems to be some kind of qualifier in that situation, but rarely do these qualifiers get applied to the Chargers.

He had a nice game. Boom.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Moderator of the Trenches

Quote:
Yeah. I always kind of liked him because A) He's a Syracuse guy and B) he did have some big hits. That's not to downplay the fact that he did have a lot of bad plays as well.

Honestly I don't know why I have this need to stick up for other guys. It's just one of those things that bother me. I won't say it's rational. I just don't get it. But we are probably talking about two sides of the same coin. Not a big deal. But if we all agreed all the time, how interesting would the CMB be?

Bolded for truth.

There are some exceptions (Turner, Brees), but yeah most get bashed. I guess that's the "fanatic" aspect rearing its' head. To me, Gregory looked the same. Flies around looking to hit, good football IQ, but a bit slow and takes too many chances for my taste. I'm glad he's doing well (I think he's doing well, really don't know).

I do hate 31 teams though, and have a tough time being positive about them.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Bolded for truth.

There are some exceptions (Turner, Brees), but yeah most get bashed. I guess that's the "fanatic" aspect rearing its' head. To me, Gregory looked the same. Flies around looking to hit, good football IQ, but a bit slow and takes too many chances for my taste. I'm glad he's doing well (I think he's doing well, really don't know).

I do hate 31 teams though, and have a tough time being positive about them.
Aye, fair enough.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Did you watch the game?

As the saying goes: it's better to be lucky than good.

He is still not good.
Never said he was good. All I said was he is in a better system than he was here. I still wouldnt want him for free.

Yeah thats the saying but I dont like the saying or even better I dont agree with it
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Fan since 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by udgnim View Post
good system and coaching

Matt Cassell performing well when Brady was out for the season says it all for how good the Patriot system and coaching is

it's why I think the statement that the Chargers have "no talent" is BS excluding the Chargers O line which I still think would be trash

better play calling, coaching, and discipline would do wonders for the Chargers
I think the Chargers have pretty good talent, they need a coach and system that will get the most out of them. A good leader (HC) would make a huge difference.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You don't remember? Or it never happened?

Are those two the same thing? Hey, I'll admit I don't know, and I'm not going to dig through the archives of old posts to find out one way or the other. That's just the general sentiment I believe exists. It's my opinion, as is yours (presumably that it doesn't). Cool.

Anyway I'm not making any comment on his coaching or whatever. I don't believe there's much debate about the quality of coaching on the Patriots team, compared to that of the Chargers. At least overall. If you want to break it down by offense and defense, certainly there's comparison's there. But that's besides the point. I'm not trying to "fight" anyone or argue. I just think he had a very nice game. As pac said, why can't it just be a nice game? If he wasn't an ex-Charger, I believe there wouldn't be as many "he still sucks" comments as there are. That's all. I just don't get that thinking, so I comment on it. There always seems to be some kind of qualifier in that situation, but rarely do these qualifiers get applied to the Chargers.

He had a nice game. Boom.

I didn't remember and found it highly doubtful. I checked. It never happened.

I agree. He had a nice game. He was also fortunate the ball rolled to him a few times.

I didn't see why you needed to defend Gregory when this thread was created and backed up by people saying he was having a good game because his coaches were better.

One guy said he still stinks and that was after you posted your defense of Gregory.

-Mario Lopez
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
I didn't remember and found it highly doubtful. I checked. It never happened.

I agree. He had a nice game. He was also fortunate the ball rolled to him a few times.

I didn't see why you needed to defend Gregory when this thread was created and backed up by people saying he was having a good game because his coaches were better.

One guy said he still stinks and that was after you posted your defense of Gregory.
OK.

Are we done?