Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
I don't know how loud you were banging the draft an LT in the first round drum but you did say this...
"O-line is one of the safest and smartest bets you can make in the first round."

But right after that you said this...
"I would hardly be dissapointed, but I think we struck gold with Gaither, he's our stud LT of the present, maybe future."

...then went on to other defensive players you thought the Chargers should go after. I think you may be overstating, imo, when you would have taken an LT a bit when you say you would have done it in the first round.

http://forums.chargers.com/showpost....4&postcount=46

EDIT: Frankly, while worried about Gaither's past, I would have been disappointed if the Chargers took an LT in the first or second round. The defense sucked too bad last year.
Okay so we draft a Tackle in the second round, hell I'd use a 3rd too. The Pat's have 1st round talent at both tackle positions. We invest 1st round picks in OLB and CB, which is fine, but if I was a GM the one position I would never be caught short in is Offensive Tackle. It's just a winning formula that great coaches like Parcells and Bellichick have been using for decades. AJ clearly doesn't buy this philosphy, hence the consistent dumpster dive for O-lineman we have seen here.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
AJ clearly doesn't buy this philosphy, hence the consistent dumpster dive for O-lineman we have seen here.
None of this changes the fact, that you, like 99.99999999999% of the CMB thought Gaither was the right choice at the right time.

It's really easy to sit back now that he's on IR, and try to make it look like AJ screwed up by signing him when he did.

MM was done, Gaither played like a man possessed the last part of the season, and everyone here was clamoring for AJ to get him locked up.

The coulda, shoulda, wouldas didn't start until Gaither got hurt.

I was stoked when AJ got the deal done. I thought the transition from MM to Gaither would be seamless, based on what I saw out of him last year.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
None of this changes the fact, that you, like 99.99999999999% of the CMB thought Gaither was the right choice at the right time.

It's really easy to sit back now that he's on IR, and try to make it look like AJ screwed up by signing him when he did.

MM was done, Gaither played like a man possessed the last part of the season, and everyone here was clamoring for AJ to get him locked up.

The coulda, shoulda, wouldas didn't start until Gaither got hurt.

I was stoked when AJ got the deal done. I thought the transition from MM to Gaither would be seamless, based on what I saw out of him last year.
Right mate, but the difference is that we are message board GM's and AJ Smith is an NFL GM. He should be taking a serious look at Gaither's track record and make sure we have more talent on the roster than Dombrowski and Harris behind him.

Gaither has been great for about 6 or 7 quarters this year, and PR looked like a HOF QB during that stretch. Problem is he is unable to do it consistently, whether it's physical or mental, he's clearly not a franchise Left Tackle. I hope this is the final act for AJ, but with the Spanos you just never know.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I hope this is the final act for AJ, but with the Spanos you just never know.
There are only 53 roster spots available. AJ had his starter in Gaither, with Dombo and Harris as his backups.

That's not a bad thing, if the three of them stay healthy. Nobody could have foreseen Gaither's injury, nor Dombo's.

With our defense being the shambles it was, is it any wonder why AJ focused on the D during the draft?

The last off season was one of his best. The CMB was pretty much 100% in agreement with all of our free agent pickups, as well as our draft picks.

Like I said, now that the season is half played out, and there have been so many unforeseen developments, it's easy to pin our frustrations on AJ. But I'm just not seeing it, based on the teams needs at the time and their salary cap space.

I think AJ did a very good job addressing glaring weaknesses and holes in the team this year.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Again why does the CMB seal of approval mean anything to anybody? We went into the season with Gaither as our #1 left tackle, okay great. But did anyone think he was going to play more than 10 games? I sure didn't. We needed to be planning for our Left Tackle of the future, instead we went with Dombrowski and Harris, neither of which is even passable as a reserve.

We should have drafted a Left Tackle of the future, or at least tried. Who from the Draft is lighting it up on the Defense? We have solid contributors but the stars of our D are Weddle and Butler. Our Pass rush is still by committee.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
We needed to be planning for our Left Tackle of the future, instead we went with Dombrowski and Harris, neither of which is even passable as a reserve.
Now you're just throwing stuff at the wall, hoping something will stick. Dombo and Harris are both more than "passable". Especially given that Harris is a rookie, and holding down the fort pretty admirably given that fact.

Like I said, all the coulda woulda shoulda stuff is great, now that we've seen the actual results of the moves that were made.

But trying to convince me that anyone saw half this stuff coming isn't gonna fly. I'd have to say that the overwhelmingly majority of Charger fans thought we had reloaded the roster, and that the Chargers were gonna do some major damage this year.

To state otherwise isn't going to fool anyone.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Hall of Famer

As was said it's AJ's job to get this stuff right, this is just a hobby for us. Most of us don't really know a players medical history or the knocks against them in league circles. There were some here who weren't all that excited about this guy but the majority of us were glad when he was signed and really impressed with how he played those few games last year. We were all wrong and those that questioned him were right, the difference as has been pointed out is that AJ is the one who has to be accountable when he gets things wrong, this isn't even close to the only thing he's gotten wrong though it's just one more to add to the list. If the guy has a history of being hurt and seemingly has issues staying motivated you don't go in planning he's going to be healthy all 16 games.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
What doubters?

This forum was filled with "Pay the man, AJ!!!" posts at the end of last season.

Gaither was the best LT available on the market, after MM went down for the season.

This is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't", scenario for AJ.

He signs him, then Gaither gets hurt, and AJ should have used his Charger-issued crystal ball to foresee the injury. Anyone worth their salt as a GM would have seen the injury coming a mile away, and not spent the money.

If he doesn't, and Gaither goes elsewhere and is a lights out LT, then AJ is a doofus because anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would have known the Chargers needed to get Gaither locked down.
Quoted for truth and accuracy.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Draft Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinCA View Post
As was said it's AJ's job to get this stuff right, this is just a hobby for us. Most of us don't really know a players medical history or the knocks against them in league circles. There were some here who weren't all that excited about this guy but the majority of us were glad when he was signed and really impressed with how he played those few games last year. We were all wrong and those that questioned him were right, the difference as has been pointed out is that AJ is the one who has to be accountable when he gets things wrong, this isn't even close to the only thing he's gotten wrong though it's just one more to add to the list. If the guy has a history of being hurt and seemingly has issues staying motivated you don't go in planning he's going to be healthy all 16 games.

Very simple to look at a players history, I did and I warned about his injury history but at the end of the day i was on board with the gamble. Some times you have to take a shot.

All gambles don't pay off.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't think a single person will say that we shouldn't have signed Gaither, he played great for 5 games. But is it really passable for a GM to have only 1 starting caliber Left Tackle? The most important position on the field after QB?

We have 4 starting caliber OLB's, 5 if you can't English. And the OT position is Gaither, Clary, followed by a bunch of guys that clearly can't compete on the NFL level. And Clary is a starter in name only, really we have 1 truely starting caliber tackle, who has a history of getting hurt and loafing.

But you guys truly believe that we solidfied the tackle spot by signing 5 game wonder Gaither, Dombrowski (who got abused at tackle last year) and UDFA Mike Harris (who never even started a game at Left Tackle at UCLA, played on ther right side) this was sufficient to you?

I think the product on the field suggests otherwise, it suggests that we have the thinnest, least talented O-line in the league. And I'm afraid we're about to prove it again on Sunday.
Closed Thread