Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Re: Lewan and my critique. I don't really look at the performance much, I mainly look at his skillset and project to the pros.

The first thing I look at with linemen, is where they bend. And while Lewan did perform well against ND, he was bending at his waist, and he kept overextending. Denard just took off running or threw the ball before Lewan's man became a factor. Waistbenders often lose leverage battles, and are set up easily with counter moves.

The second thing I consider, is his anchor. He passes that easily. Since he is a left tackle, you gotta look at his feet next. Does he get beat in college because of his footwork? No, not much. But in the NFL, will he? I think that's a very valid concern.

So while I see the talent that make a lot of people think he is a Top 10 pick. I have too many concerns to put him over Fisher and Joeckel. I'd put him 4th behind Oday Aboushi(I might have a man crush with this one lol)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
Draft This Man

But its still Denard Robinson. I agree he has technical flaws, but Jared Gaither has atrocious footwork, but is still great when healthy. And Lewan has improved steadily, get him coached up with any non Hal Hunter line coach and he'll quickly be a top tackle.

sean of BSX
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
But its still Denard Robinson. I agree he has technical flaws, but Jared Gaither has atrocious footwork, but is still great when healthy. And Lewan has improved steadily, get him coached up with any non Hal Hunter line coach and he'll quickly be a top tackle.
Certain types of athletes can get away with that type of footwork. Lewan isn't one of those guys. I stand by my statement that he's Reiff/Bulaga like, rather than a true future LT.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
Re: Lewan and my critique. I don't really look at the performance much, I mainly look at his skillset and project to the pros.

The first thing I look at with linemen, is where they bend. And while Lewan did perform well against ND, he was bending at his waist, and he kept overextending. Denard just took off running or threw the ball before Lewan's man became a factor. Waistbenders often lose leverage battles, and are set up easily with counter moves.

The second thing I consider, is his anchor. He passes that easily. Since he is a left tackle, you gotta look at his feet next. Does he get beat in college because of his footwork? No, not much. But in the NFL, will he? I think that's a very valid concern.

So while I see the talent that make a lot of people think he is a Top 10 pick. I have too many concerns to put him over Fisher and Joeckel. I'd put him 4th behind Oday Aboushi(I might have a man crush with this one lol)
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Certain types of athletes can get away with that type of footwork. Lewan isn't one of those guys. I stand by my statement that he's Reiff/Bulaga like, rather than a true future LT.
Agreed.

I see why JH and Kemp like Lewan. But as they say he has technical flaws. Hence why I prefer other tackles.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I want the biggest, meanest, tallest, fattest fat boy available.

The bigger, meaner and fatter ... the better.

6'11" 365 lbs you say? Sign him up.
I always thought when Shaq was younger he would have made an unbelievable TE.
"Plan on it! I plan on bringing it every day to practice. Plan on me bringing that every Sunday. Plan on me bringing that to my offensive line. That’s what I’m bringing to the table. When I get there, everyone will realize it."

D.J. Fluker
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Those are fair comments re: Lewan. It seems that I just have a higher opinion of his athleticism and upside. I also look for that nasty demeanor in offensive linemen, and Lewan has that in spades. But I also share your mancrush on Aboushi, T4.

But as this season slowly collapses, we may be able to legitimately turn our attention to Joeckel. Stl won today, and we didn't.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Draft This Man

Yeah, Lewan is straight nasty. Was one of his biggest problems for a while.

sean of BSX
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Yeah, Lewan is straight nasty. Was one of his biggest problems for a while.
I haven't seen any of his games besides yesterday, but damn straight that nasty is what we need.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

The weird thing is, the Packers have mirrored our needs at positions the past few seasons, but do much better than we do with the same glaring holes. Their OL is getting whipped tonight. Badly.