Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Time4aRing's Avatar
Time4aRing Time4aRing is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta
Posts: 9,995
Default

Re: Lewan and my critique. I don't really look at the performance much, I mainly look at his skillset and project to the pros.

The first thing I look at with linemen, is where they bend. And while Lewan did perform well against ND, he was bending at his waist, and he kept overextending. Denard just took off running or threw the ball before Lewan's man became a factor. Waistbenders often lose leverage battles, and are set up easily with counter moves.

The second thing I consider, is his anchor. He passes that easily. Since he is a left tackle, you gotta look at his feet next. Does he get beat in college because of his footwork? No, not much. But in the NFL, will he? I think that's a very valid concern.

So while I see the talent that make a lot of people think he is a Top 10 pick. I have too many concerns to put him over Fisher and Joeckel. I'd put him 4th behind Oday Aboushi(I might have a man crush with this one lol)
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Time4aRing
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 11-24-2012, 10:04 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,571
Default

But its still Denard Robinson. I agree he has technical flaws, but Jared Gaither has atrocious footwork, but is still great when healthy. And Lewan has improved steadily, get him coached up with any non Hal Hunter line coach and he'll quickly be a top tackle.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 AM
SDfootball61's Avatar
SDfootball61 SDfootball61 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
But its still Denard Robinson. I agree he has technical flaws, but Jared Gaither has atrocious footwork, but is still great when healthy. And Lewan has improved steadily, get him coached up with any non Hal Hunter line coach and he'll quickly be a top tackle.
Certain types of athletes can get away with that type of footwork. Lewan isn't one of those guys. I stand by my statement that he's Reiff/Bulaga like, rather than a true future LT.
__________________
Looking for New Sig: Willing to Not Pay Anybody
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 AM
ShockTreatment's Avatar
ShockTreatment ShockTreatment is offline
Shock and Awe
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santee
Posts: 4,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
Re: Lewan and my critique. I don't really look at the performance much, I mainly look at his skillset and project to the pros.

The first thing I look at with linemen, is where they bend. And while Lewan did perform well against ND, he was bending at his waist, and he kept overextending. Denard just took off running or threw the ball before Lewan's man became a factor. Waistbenders often lose leverage battles, and are set up easily with counter moves.

The second thing I consider, is his anchor. He passes that easily. Since he is a left tackle, you gotta look at his feet next. Does he get beat in college because of his footwork? No, not much. But in the NFL, will he? I think that's a very valid concern.

So while I see the talent that make a lot of people think he is a Top 10 pick. I have too many concerns to put him over Fisher and Joeckel. I'd put him 4th behind Oday Aboushi(I might have a man crush with this one lol)
__________________
Mock 2.0 04-01-2014
1. Jason Verrett - CB - TCU
2. Marcus Smith - 34OLB - Louisville
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Time4aRing's Avatar
Time4aRing Time4aRing is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta
Posts: 9,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Certain types of athletes can get away with that type of footwork. Lewan isn't one of those guys. I stand by my statement that he's Reiff/Bulaga like, rather than a true future LT.
Agreed.

I see why JH and Kemp like Lewan. But as they say he has technical flaws. Hence why I prefer other tackles.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Time4aRing
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM
SDFaiderHater's Avatar
SDFaiderHater SDFaiderHater is offline
Give me moar BEEF!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 6,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I want the biggest, meanest, tallest, fattest fat boy available.

The bigger, meaner and fatter ... the better.

6'11" 365 lbs you say? Sign him up.
I always thought when Shaq was younger he would have made an unbelievable TE.
__________________
"Plan on it! I plan on bringing it every day to practice. Plan on me bringing that every Sunday. Plan on me bringing that to my offensive line. That’s what I’m bringing to the table. When I get there, everyone will realize it."

D.J. Fluker
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Posts: 16,596
Default

Those are fair comments re: Lewan. It seems that I just have a higher opinion of his athleticism and upside. I also look for that nasty demeanor in offensive linemen, and Lewan has that in spades. But I also share your mancrush on Aboushi, T4.

But as this season slowly collapses, we may be able to legitimately turn our attention to Joeckel. Stl won today, and we didn't.
__________________

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,571
Default

Yeah, Lewan is straight nasty. Was one of his biggest problems for a while.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:19 PM
The Stig's Avatar
The Stig The Stig is offline
He's Alive, Jim.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Yeah, Lewan is straight nasty. Was one of his biggest problems for a while.
I haven't seen any of his games besides yesterday, but damn straight that nasty is what we need.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:18 PM
The Stig's Avatar
The Stig The Stig is offline
He's Alive, Jim.
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 3,216
Default

The weird thing is, the Packers have mirrored our needs at positions the past few seasons, but do much better than we do with the same glaring holes. Their OL is getting whipped tonight. Badly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.