Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > AFC West
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Default Life In The AFC W-orst

I know this dates me, but I actually remember when the AFC West was a somewhat respectable NFL division.

Amazingly, the division that’s responsible for the league’s only powder blue uniforms, the Black Hole, Hank Stram’s legendary sports jacket and this incredible John Elway poster was once — I know, this sounds crazy, NFL fans under the age of 30 — among the league’s finest.

It has since been reduced to rubble. The 2012 version of the AFC West is a complete and utter embarrassment.

Peyton Manning must have known what he was doing when he signed with Denver last offseason. He’ll play 10 games against real NFL opponents this season. He'll have seven bye weeks — the one the league gives him and the six games against his divisional opponents.

Oakland, Kansas City and San Diego are a combined 4-17 since Week 4. Only one of those wins — a 26-23 Raiders overtime win over 1-9 Jacksonville — came against an opponent outside the division.

The Chiefs have lost seven straight games. They're 0-5 at home. The Raiders, meanwhile, have given up 135 points in their past three contests. The Chargers? Phil Rivers summed up the season best when he — with the chance to still toss a final Hail Mary pass against the Broncos with a few seconds left on the clock in a seven-point game — briskly jogged off the field and shook Denver coach John Fox’s hand on the sideline instead of taking another snap. Denver forced San Diego into 10 straight three-and-outs at one point on Sunday. The Chargers defense played well. It was all for naught.

Again.

San Diego's gone from being a 3-1 team in September to one of the worst squads in all of football. The epic collapse at home versus the Broncos gets all the attention, but were they frauds all along? Better yet, does it even matter?

The Raiders haven’t had a winning season since 2002, so failure’s nothing new to their long-suffering fan base. But how sad is it that an entire generation of young Oakland fans have never seen a playoff game? Mark Davis mentioned “the Raiders way” in his postgame comments after Sunday’s embarrassing 38-17 loss to the Saints. What does that even mean anymore? A 30-year-old Raiders fan spent his 20s watching the following poo-poo (not a typo) platter of quarterbacks: Rick Mirer, Marques Tuiasosopo, Kerry Collins, Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks, Josh McCown, Daunte Culpepper, Jamarcus Russell, Charlie Frye, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller and Carson Palmer.

Charlie Frye!

To put this in perspective, the New England Patriots have started just two quarterbacks — Tom Brady and Matt Cassel — in that same decade’s worth of games.

Oakland’s quarterback situation isn’t what’s ailing them, though. Carson Palmer is by no means lighting it up, but he has no help. Across the field, there’s a dearth of talent on Oakland’s roster. With Darren McFadden and Richard Seymour currently out of the lineup with injuries, you could make a legitimate case that the Raiders do not have a top-10 talent at any position on the field outside of punter and kicker. This is not an acceptable NFL roster.

But it’s not just the players.

When first-year GM Reggie McKenzie hired Dennis Allen as the team’s head coach this offseason, defensive expertise was the reason why. If you had to subtly nod your head and do a quick Google search for “Dennis Allen” when he got the gig, you’re not alone. There was some head-scratching around the league with the hire of the denver Broncos defensive backs coach.

Eleven weeks in, you can’t blame the fans if their patience is wearing thin. The Raiders have been the league’s worst second-half team. The third quarter — the time when a team is supposed to react to halftime adjustments and the things coaches spot on film — has been a nightmare for Oakland. They’ve given up 56 points in the third quarter of the last three games alone. On the year, they’ve been outscored in the third quarter by more points than any other team in any quarter this season.

Having watched a lot of Carolina Panthers fourth-quarter collapses this year, that's saying something.

And then there are the Chiefs.

I can take a stab at detailing their 2012 woes in a tight paragraph or two, but it’d pale in comparison to anything Bill Reiter or Jason Whitlock have written on the team over the past three months. Scott Pioli needs to go.

Romeo Crennel needs to go. The quarterbacks both have to go. It’s Thanksgiving and the season’s already been over for two months.

It's late November, and Denver’s already got the division wrapped up. Signed. Sealed. Delivered. Manning knew what he was doing signing there. Looking at their opponents, I have no doubt that this team could have won the AFC West with Tim Tebow at the helm this year.

Hell, they could have done it with Charlie Frye.

Or Marques Tuiasosopo.

Or ... well, you get the point.

This Thanksgiving weekend, take a moment to remember the AFC West, a once-proud division that’s fallen on very hard times.

I’d love to say it’ll be back soon enough, but I really can’t do that with any sort of confidence.

Read the rest here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...FC-West-112012
Old 11-25-2012, 01:46 PM
4th and Hooters

In other AFC West news, the Raiders are about to get absolutely screwed by the refs.

It's Hochuli all over again. Inadvertent whistle takes a TD off the board and no possession.

Although I love seeing the Raiders get screwed, a win over Cincy actually helps the Chargers more.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
i know this dates me, but i actually remember when the afc west was a somewhat respectable nfl division.

Amazingly, the division that’s responsible for the league’s only powder blue uniforms, the black hole, hank stram’s legendary sports jacket and this incredible john elway poster was once — i know, this sounds crazy, nfl fans under the age of 30 — among the league’s finest.

It has since been reduced to rubble. The 2012 version of the afc west is a complete and utter embarrassment.

peyton manning must have known what he was doing when he signed with denver last offseason. He’ll play 10 games against real nfl opponents this season. He'll have seven bye weeks — the one the league gives him and the six games against his divisional opponents.

Oakland, kansas city and san diego are a combined 4-17 since week 4. Only one of those wins — a 26-23 raiders overtime win over 1-9 jacksonville — came against an opponent outside the division.

The chiefs have lost seven straight games. They're 0-5 at home. The raiders, meanwhile, have given up 135 points in their past three contests. The chargers? Phil rivers summed up the season best when he — with the chance to still toss a final hail mary pass against the broncos with a few seconds left on the clock in a seven-point game — briskly jogged off the field and shook denver coach john fox’s hand on the sideline instead of taking another snap. Denver forced san diego into 10 straight three-and-outs at one point on sunday. The chargers defense played well. It was all for naught.

Again.

San diego's gone from being a 3-1 team in september to one of the worst squads in all of football. The epic collapse at home versus the broncos gets all the attention, but were they frauds all along? Better yet, does it even matter?

The raiders haven’t had a winning season since 2002, so failure’s nothing new to their long-suffering fan base. But how sad is it that an entire generation of young oakland fans have never seen a playoff game? Mark davis mentioned “the raiders way” in his postgame comments after sunday’s embarrassing 38-17 loss to the saints. What does that even mean anymore? A 30-year-old raiders fan spent his 20s watching the following poo-poo (not a typo) platter of quarterbacks: Rick mirer, marques tuiasosopo, kerry collins, andrew walter, aaron brooks, josh mccown, daunte culpepper, jamarcus russell, charlie frye, bruce gradkowski, jason campbell, kyle boller and carson palmer.

Charlie frye!

To put this in perspective, the new england patriots have started just two quarterbacks — tom brady and matt cassel — in that same decade’s worth of games.

Oakland’s quarterback situation isn’t what’s ailing them, though. Carson palmer is by no means lighting it up, but he has no help. Across the field, there’s a dearth of talent on oakland’s roster. With darren mcfadden and richard seymour currently out of the lineup with injuries, you could make a legitimate case that the raiders do not have a top-10 talent at any position on the field outside of punter and kicker. This is not an acceptable nfl roster.

But it’s not just the players.

When first-year gm reggie mckenzie hired dennis allen as the team’s head coach this offseason, defensive expertise was the reason why. If you had to subtly nod your head and do a quick google search for “dennis allen” when he got the gig, you’re not alone. There was some head-scratching around the league with the hire of the denver broncos defensive backs coach.

Eleven weeks in, you can’t blame the fans if their patience is wearing thin. The raiders have been the league’s worst second-half team. The third quarter — the time when a team is supposed to react to halftime adjustments and the things coaches spot on film — has been a nightmare for oakland. They’ve given up 56 points in the third quarter of the last three games alone. On the year, they’ve been outscored in the third quarter by more points than any other team in any quarter this season.

Having watched a lot of carolina panthers fourth-quarter collapses this year, that's saying something.

And then there are the chiefs.

I can take a stab at detailing their 2012 woes in a tight paragraph or two, but it’d pale in comparison to anything bill reiter or jason whitlock have written on the team over the past three months. Scott pioli needs to go.

Romeo crennel needs to go. The quarterbacks both have to go. It’s thanksgiving and the season’s already been over for two months.

It's late november, and denver’s already got the division wrapped up. Signed. Sealed. Delivered. Manning knew what he was doing signing there. Looking at their opponents, i have no doubt that this team could have won the afc west with tim tebow at the helm this year.

Hell, they could have done it with charlie frye.

Or marques tuiasosopo.

Or ... Well, you get the point.

This thanksgiving weekend, take a moment to remember the afc west, a once-proud division that’s fallen on very hard times.

I’d love to say it’ll be back soon enough, but i really can’t do that with any sort of confidence.

Read the rest here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/p...fc-west-112012
no new threads on gameday!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslick View Post
no new threads during the game!
Fixed it for ya.